Crashed Crushes | Teen Ink

Crashed Crushes

October 21, 2020
By amoya BRONZE, Saint Louis, Missouri
More by this author
amoya BRONZE, Saint Louis, Missouri
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

~Blu

“Where have you been bobby?” I asked my boyfriend. “You’ve been ignoring me for five days, is this about our fight?” 

He shakes his disdain and looks up at me from his phone in disgust “ man what you want shawty, you know we weren’t that serious why you trippin?” 

I looked at him shocked. I can’t believe this “you said you loved me” I replied, feeling tears building up but I am better than this. I refuse to let him see how deep his words just cut me.  

“Come on blue” said my best friend Katie “he didn’t deserve you anyway” leading me out of the parking lot of Garvey high school, which I just realized is now crowded. Everyone’s staring at me, whispering and if I wasn’t already embarrassed, I was completely humiliated when I caught my now ex-boyfriend kissing my friend out the corner of my eye.  

No! I will not end my junior year defeated; I whirl around leaving Katie behind me, faster than lightning I yank the snake he was kissing’s hair and slapped her. I was enjoying my short victory so much I didn’t see Bobby’s fist flying to my face, but I sure felt when it landed.

Too stunned to understand what just happened I didn’t have time to block the other one, or the one after I knew others were coming, but I was too weak to block them. 

I can hear the screams of my best friend asking for help. A crowded parking lot and no one dares to touch the principal’s son. Something wet slid down my lips and I didn’t have to be Einstein to guess it was blood. This is not the same guy I fell in love with, he was never romantic, but he was never violent either.  

I fell to the floor hunched over, I don’t know how much more of this I can take and silently wishing for this to be over. As I’m studying his face his expression hardens this time and he pulls his fist all the way back, aiming at the one part of me that’s covered. 

Realization hits me and I have never been more scared for someone else in my life.  Motherly strength took over cause I took the last breath I had and yelled “don’t do this!”; but his eyes didn't soften. I close my eyes praying for help. I closed my eyes waiting helplessly, the punch felt like my bones were broken. I cried praying for my child’s safety, suddenly strong arms were wrapped around me I couldn’t see the face.  He pulled my head into his chest. It wasn’t something I was used to, it wasn’t hurting me, it felt like home . 

These strong hands were sturdy but they were shaking because Bobby was enraged now but his focus is now on the guy protecting me. Squished together hugging this stranger was the only one brave enough to stand up for me. I don’t even know who he is.  

28..29. 30.. I did not realize I was counting the hits, after 35 it stopped I know because Bobby’s arms stopped shaking. Determined to rescue me they were impenetrable. A siren sounded and suddenly engines were firing. 

Bobby ran into his car leaving us behind. It wasn’t over yet because from the blinding brake light I can tell his car was aiming for us. Too weak to move, I prepare for the end. Looking through his windshield and directly into his eyes silently pleading, my last attempt to rescue my child and my protector. I caused this so why am I not the only one being punished he’s mad at me.  Take me instead. 

Focused, Bobby slams his foot on the gas unmoved by my plea. This is the last chance to thank my savior, I look up into big blue his eyes, softer than cotton and warmer than summer rendered me speechless. Willing to die for a stranger, the car pushes closer this is it, this is the end. Out of nowhere my prince charming lifts me into his arms and leaps to the side…

“You passed out after Bobby drove off.” Said an unfamiliar voice. I looked around blinded, for a second, by the bright light and the white curtains. I have a bandage wrapped around most of my body and a severe headache. 

We were in the hospital, my memories flooded, I flash a worried look at my savior who was in a cast. I owe him more than a thank you, but right now my focus is on something else. “my baby?” I asked voice shaking, praying my baby is fine. 

His silence said it all.  Broken beyond repair I screamed and the aches on body tripled but they were nothing compared to the pain of losing my child.  So many emotions flowed through me all at once it was like a boulder dropped on my chest, I was dying slowly.  Once again, those strong arms were around me this time, they were there as support.  Scared doctors that rushed into my room because of my screams looked at me with so much pity, they heard my screams, but they will never understand my pain.  

My child’s absence will forever be felt, no “I’m sorry for your loss.” Will never make up for it, Bobby took my child from me. From the beginning it was going to be about me and her after he asked me to get an abortion, I never saw him as a part of our family. I never wanted anything from him but she took my child anyway. This is how hatred is born. I want justice for a life.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.