Much to do About Something? | Teen Ink

Much to do About Something?

June 12, 2019
By emilystarkweather20, Amherst, New York
More by this author
emilystarkweather20, Amherst, New York
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you've got one foot in the past and one foot in the future, you're pissin' on today." -Katya Zamolodchikova


LIGHTS UP ON HEATHER WHO SITS ON HER BED, ON THE PHONE WITH SKY, HER BEST FRIEND.
HEATHER
I know Sky, but he's just been acting different lately. I feel like he hasn't been very receptive to me or something. NO he's not bored! Six months is a big deal, and to have been dating that long is like a super big achievement.
RITA
(off)
Heather! Get ready for school!
HEATHER
OkAy Mom!Sorry Sky I've got to go. I'll talk to you later.
HEATHER sweeps off the magazine that was placed on her bed and replaces it with a textbook before RITA walks in
RITA
Hi sweetie, how is your schoolwork going? Keeping those grades up?
(NOTE. This actor is to play this character very badly, with terrible acting abilities. Express the nervousness and uncomfortable nature of this actress)
HEATHER
Um sure mom whatever, I better go I am going to be late for school.
RITA /ACTOR 5
Okay well have a good day Holly!
ACTOR 1 looks momentarily stunned as ACTOR 5 said the wrong name. She quickly shakes it off and continues the scene.
HEATHER
Ugh what if he is bored with me? Ack, maybe I'm just overthinking. I mean, what are the chances that he's actual cheating?
2.
 
AUDIENCE PLANT
Pretty high sweetheart
ACTOR 1 flashes a annoyed and disturbed look towards the audience member and snatches up her bag exiting as the light fade out.

LIGHTS UP ON KEVIN AND HIS FRIEND WADE SITTING LAZILY ON THE COUCH IN KEVIN'S BEDROOM PLAYING VIDEO GAMES
Before ACTOR 4 is able to say his line all of the lights onstage go off for three seconds and come back on to showcase a startled ACTOR 3 and 4.
WADE
(hesitantly)
Ummm, so how are you and Heather?
KEVIN
Yeah we're fine, I mean pretty good. Things have been fine dude.
WADE
Ooookaayy, just, maybe it's time to drop her. I mean
(draw this out)
its been six months already.
KEVIN
(playfully punch WADE'S arm)
Hey man, watch it.
The boys sit in the couch waiting for the light to go down, but they never do. They continue sitting on the couch waiting. And waiting. And waiting. ACTOR 3 subtlety tries to cue the booth, telling them to cut the lights. They do not understand, and neither actor is talented enough to improv their way out of this.
ACTOR 3 starts to mutter and make big gestures to the booth now. He makes an extravagant final gesture and as he is in the middle of it all the lights go down.

HEATHER STANDS NEAR HER LOCKER WITH SKY AS THEY GOSSIP ABOUT PEOPLE PASSING THEM IN THE HALLS AIMLESSLY.
HEATHER notices KEVIN down the hall and starts to primp herself.
Insert a scene with rowdy extras maybe????
HEATHER
Okay Sky, time for part one of our investigation. I'm going to say hi.
SKY
Yeah! Things will go great...
(looks at hand)
uhhh...Heather!
ACTOR 1 makes a face at ACTOR 2 but quickly wipes it away.
HEATHER starts to confidently stroll down the hallway, making her way to KEVIN
On the way she trips over an extra's foot, and goes pinwheeling into the lockers. ACTOR 1 gets up clearly dazed and tries to shake off the fact that she might have a concussion, and less confidently this time, strolls to KEVIN
HEATHER
Hey Kevin!
Before HEATHER successfully gets KEVIN'S attention, she sees him hug and intently talk to a 'rando' girl. HEATHER squeals and tries to run off stage but instead, ACTOR 1 is pushed onto the floor again because of over the top extras
ACTOR 2
(whispered)
...[name of actress]...are you okay?
ACTOR 1 ignores the break in the wall {#breakthewall} and huffs offstage. Lights flicker, then go down.

LIGHTS UP ON HEATHER SITTING AND CRYING IN BED
Enter RITA who walks to her daughter's bed and sits down to comfort her
As ACTOR 5 walks onstage they are immediately aware of the audience and can't stop acknowledging that they are there.
For example, the actor walks in through the door, stops and waves at the audience, then remembers the scene they are in and proceeds to act pretty badly.
RITA
Hey Hannah, sweetie, how are you doing?
HEATHER
(wails)
AWFUL
RITA
Awwwww Hollister there will be other guys in the sea...
(ACTOR 5 looks to audience, not aware of the fact they've botched the entire line)
Alrighty well I'll leave you alone, let me know if you need anything Hubcaps.
RITA goes to exit through the door, and waves one last time at the audience. However, instead of exiting, the door only opens a smidge, forcing ACTOR 5 to squeeze their entire body through the crack. ACTOR 5 leaves with a slam shut of the door. Throughout this altercation between ACTOR 5 and the door ACTOR 1 is looking on in disbelief.
Soon after RITA exists, SKY comes to cheer her friend. But since the door is stuck, ACTOR 2 jiggles the handle repeatedly,
ACTOR 2
(whispered from behind the door)
Umm uh oh. Heather? Are you okay?
HEATHER
Do I seem like I'm fine? Just look at my face!
Ironic pause
6.
 
 
ACTOR 2
(still from behind the closed door)
Oh no! Your makeup is all smudged!
ACTOR 1
(muttered)
Oh! Just come out here
ACTOR 1 gets off the bed and walks around the door to bring ACTOR 2 onstage, clearly frustrated
SKY
Oh Heather I'm so sorry, this is such a...
(looks at hand)
Uhh.. Travesty!
HEATHER
Aaahhh Sky, what am I going to do?? I should have known from the start he was wicked inside!!
SKY
(pulls up sleeve and reads off of arm)
Uh, I brought your some ice cream and chocolates!
ACTOR 2 has neither of those props and doesn't pretend/ alter her line. Pause for an awkward moment of ACTOR 2 holding out her empty hands
Well...
(reads lines off of a picture frame specifically placed for her)
..maybe it's just a misunderstanding steps downstage to console Heather.
Realizing those are stage directions, ACTOR 2 pointedly does what she reads, without realizing she should be embarrassment.
HEATHER
Ughghghgh, whatever, I know what I saw. I'm going to make sure he knows what he's did is wrong. And he better regret it! Are you going to help me or not??
SKY takes a book off of HEATHER'S bed, opens it and reads her line
7.
 
 
SKY
Shouldn't you talk to him with his innocence in mind? I mean, what do we really know about what happened?
HEATHER
UGH! There's no need! I should have known so so stupid.
I know what I saw, and Kevin better have a good explanation!
Heather angrily storms about her room throughout. She stops next to her door at the end of her line. After she finishes, the door quickly swings open, hitting ACTOR 1 and knocking them out. ACTOR 2 screams and is scared for her friend while ACTOR 1 falls to the floor unconscious.
RITA
(walking in the now open door)
What's going on up here? Hexane why are you shouting?
S i l e n c e
RITA
It's okay Hickey, things will be fine, just stop shouting!
S i l e n c e
RITA
Wehlp, Sky I think we should give her some space. Let me know if you need anything sweetie!
Exit RITA AND SKY
After a moment, lights down on ACTOR 1, still unconscious and on the floor.
Lights back up 10 seconds later on three different crew members, checking and taking ACTOR 1 offstage. While lights are up all the crew freezes, locked on the audience until the lights go back down, then a frenzy to get her offstage. Lots of whispered shouting and barked orders occurs.

SKY STRUTS DOWN THE HALLWAY TOWARDS WADE WITH INTENTION
SKY
Hey! Don't you run away from me!
WADE is standing in place and never intended to run, exposing this line as the clear wrong one.
WADE
Um okay.
SKY
You know what?..um..
From offstage comes a crew member with huge cue cards.
SKY
(reading off the cue cards)
This is a terrible show
Pause
...of cowardice Wade! Kevin hasn't even tried to show his face or talk with Heather!
WADE
Look I don't know what you think happened but it's definitely a mistake-
SKY
NO! You can't act...
Pause. Card flip
...like this when Heather is falling apart. It's unfair!
WADE
Look, just chill out and tell Heather she is being unreasonable. Maybe if she cared so much she would try to talk to him.
SKY
(now suddenly nonchalantly)
I don't Wade, if I were you id be afraid of our immense arse...
Flip.
...nal of girl power. What was the name of the girl you are chasing? 
Destiny
9.
 
 
(WADE catches up to what SKY is saying. SKY is still reading of the cue cards)
It would be a shame if she found out about that one summer-
WADE
THERE'S No nEeD to dO tHaT! Listen I'll talk to Kevin but no promises you psycho.
SKY
Hmph! That's what I thought
Lights down



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.