The King's Crown | Teen Ink

The King's Crown

April 2, 2018
By Anonymous

It was the new year in 1936 A.D. Tristania, the king Tristan the 33rd had been appointed king of the Tristanian Empire one of the largest in the land. He had barely been king for a week and already a big problem had arose. Some thieves had stolen the crown of the king and how dare they steal the king’s crown. Tristan had already created a large search for the crown to be recovered into proper hands of the king’s guard. While this went on they also had the wars with Brutarius and Marsherium to fight because of decisions made by the prior king. Many suspect one of those nations to have stolen the royal crown.

“Wilhelm is there any new information about the crown ?”. “No sir we have nothing new” “Then I must go and search for the myself since you fools can’t keep the crown in the right hands apparently”. “But it is dangerous sir”. “I shall be fine get Brian the Carnotaurus he shall go with me and get someone else to.” “But your majesty you don’t even know where to go” “oh really, then where do I go Wilhelm ?” “Well the crown was probably stolen when it was being stolen on the way here from east Tristania” “What city” “Maybe uhhhh likely Volksburg or Wulf Schloss” “That far east, hmmm… ready the horses, I shall be going a far distance to get my crown back”. “Are you sure about this, my king the east is dangerous because of the war with Brutarius” “It shall be fine, appoint the 3rd Army to the area immediately” “understood” “WELL THEN WHY ARE YOU STILL STANDING AROUND WILHELM !” “Good point sir”. Wilhelm ran off to get what the king had requested.

Tristan walked down to his dining hallway and talked to his cook Claus. “Today I am in a hurry because of some business, I shall have a steak”. “ Yeah heard about you being in a hurry, I shall cook it up quick”. And like he said within minutes the cook had the steak cooked up and Tristan ate it. Leaving the dining hall he was approached by Sir Andolan “My king may I lead the search for your crown to be recovered” Andolan requested “No I shall be the head of the search” shouted someone behind Andolan. Turning to look Tristan wished he had not, it was way Lord Druff known for his incompetence and foolishness. “Neither of you will lead the search for I am already heading it. “Umm okay” andolan responded “if you say so” Druff muttered under his breath. While they both sat there Tristan walked past then and down the stairs to the main entrance the was decorated lavishly with paintings on the wall of previous kings who had ruled. All Throughout the castle was a red carpet made years ago by a bunch of tailors there was more decorations but that was not what Tristan paid attention to as he walked the halls, he thought about his plan, was it a logical plan ? well he would find out soon enough.

“So where is Tristan, you said he would be here by now.” “He is clearly not here, I have no idea where he is right now probably on his way.” Of course then Tristan walked into the main entrance area. “Good Wilhelm you got everyone ready at least you are good for something, do we have the required gear ?” “well ummm… no” “maybe you aren’t good for anything fine go grab me some rations, tools, guns, and ammo, clear Wilhelm ?” “Yes your majesty”. “Good now run along”. Tristan turned to look and see who Wilhelm had found for the journey. Brian of course had been picked because they could get into danger, Captain Louis of the 3rd volksburg regiment had been picked because of his knowledge of the town, and Then Tristan decided that they needed one more person and decided to call for Duke Leon as one of Tristan’s long time friends from before his coronation as king of Tristania. “Hey Leon it’s good to see you its been a while since we talked” “Yeah it had been a pretty long time, glad you brought brian I haven’t talked to him in years” “You guys know I’m here right” Brian interjected  “Yes we know you’re there how’s my favorite carno been buddy ?” Leon inquired “I’ve been fine no problems here” Brian responded “Good, Good” “Louis have you heard anything about the crown from you soldiers” Tristan asked “No the army has been surprisingly quiet lately but it’s not related to this, it is related to something else”. “What would that something else be” “there has been talk of cutting some money from the army to allocate elsewhere” “what ! … I wouldn’t cut money from the army especially in war times like this” “Oh okay sir, I suspected so but was not sure”.

After waiting for what seemed like an eternity and a half Wilhelm got back. “Good you’re back, it took while didn’t it” “My apologies sir I could find rifles for you and your people of course excluding brian as he does not have applicable arms for the task”. “No that shall not be necessary, load up the horses and we’ll get moving”.  Loading up the horses Tristan still kept thinking to himself about if the trip was necessary why shouldn't he just send some men lead by one of the lords ? Why no, because they might support a coup to get the king dethroned and form a republic of Tristania uck it sounded disgusting even when Tristan thought about it in his head. Another thing he thought about was how none of the people seemed to be in distress, maybe they just didn’t know yet he told himself.

After two days of travel they came across the city volksburg an old town built by one of Tristania's old enemies that had been defeated long ago. The water supply that they had packed was way bigger than required but they decided to keep it. Across the way they had stopped one night in a grove to sleep. As it was night the plan was to get to one of the inns and get some sleep before checking up on the military barracks right outside town.

“This inn will do right boss ?” Louis inquired “Yeah looks good see if they have stables for the horses and Brian” “I’ll do that Tristan get us some rooms remember we’re hiding the fact that you are royalty”. “Don’t worry I remember, but won’t having a Carno make us seem more suspicious to people” “No Carnos are common around here a lot of the population is more rich, Okay see you” “You too Leon”.

Upon entering the inn they could smell how pristine it was of course the place also had a fancy name it was   “The Royal Chambers”. The innkeeper was had a snooty look to him as he stood on the opposite side of the counter dressed in robe that looked like they had gold trim. “I take it that you would like a room at this fine establishment”. “Yes” “Okay that will be 15 silver marks” “15 silver marks ! that is armed robbery” “So are you going to pay it or not ?” “Of course I will pay it here you go” “Thank you I hope you enjoy your stay Your room is the first one on the left on the second floor”.

Tristan and Louis then walked up the stairs and left into their rented room. Louis took one of the beds on the far side of the room. Obviously Tristan took the first bed.

In the morning Tristan and Louis had talked about the plan to retrieve the crown of Tristan. Louis would get to the military barrack to investigate around and see if anyone knows anything about the theft. Leon’s job would be to ask around the inn and watch over Brian. Tristan was tasked with heading to the bar to ask the bartender as Louis had told him about the bartender’s connections with the underworld. Because of course let’s send the guy with the worst diplomacy to talk to someone who has sensitive info.

When Tristan said his goodbyes in the morning to Leon and louis he departed for the Tavern. The bar was called Das Wilde Reh its name was a tribute to the previous country that had owned the land many years ago during the reign of Tristan the 11th around 200 years ago. Walking into the bar Tristan was attacked with a cacophony of sounds from all around him. Everyone in the bar was talking almost at once. Looking around Tristan almost immediately saw the bartender, he was behind a gigantic counter that looked like it was made from a massive spruce tree the bartender himself was a short man with a rounded face. At that moment Tristan made up his mind to talk to the man.

“Yes, sir what might you want ?” “So Mr…” “Mr. Schmidt” “Ah good Mr. schmidt I hear you have some information I might be requiring for my mission”. “Of course in the information business it is always good to share info … for a price”. “I see, what might that price be ?” “3 Gold Marks and the guarantee that you tell no one where you got this info”. “I see” pausing for a moment Tristan thought was it worth it ? well of course it was a ridiculous price but all good things come at a price. Or was it bad and Schmidt would get a hit on Tristan because he knew too much, of course the bartender didn’t know who Tristan was. Tristan then made the decision to keep his royalty a secret as it would draw unwanted attention to him. “Deal here you go, so what have you got ?” “Recently ,seven days ago, a guy comes in asking around for if anyone knows when the royal parade was coming to town, at first I just thought that he was a commoner looking to see the Crown but then two things occured to me, number one would have to be the fact that about how he didn’t already know but I dismissed that thought my second reason was because he had a very shady looking character following him dressed in a long robe with a hood on obscuring his face.” “Any idea where they went ?” “No, but I’d asked Mac over in the corner by the group of soldiers he talked to the man”. “Wait there is soldiers here ?” “Yeah the garrison officers just dismissed them, they just came in after you did” “I hope you are right Schmidt”.

Walking up the table I took a seat in one of the chairs. “You’re Mac right” “Yes that’s my name” “Good so do you know anything of the man who walked into this bar seven-ish days ago”. “Do I … Do I, of course I do how much you payin” “I ain’t paying nothing but the satisfactory feeling that you get from helping the Tristanian Empire” “That’s not a amount of money” “Do you even know who you are talking to” “No why should I” “Well, for your information you  are talking to the king of Tristania” “T.. the king!” “Quiet keep your voice down”. “I suppose you have a point, under the south bridge there is a cave that you have to swim through to get to the hideout once in there don’t say who you are just say Mac sent you they will arrange a private meeting with the head of the gang that stole it”. “Two things, one how did they get past the army and two why are you ratting out your friends ?” “My friends are already screwed as we both know and as for the guards, well they were bribed as you could probably also guess so they did nothing about the crime.” “I’ll discharge every single one of them those cowards”. “Maybe you should do that after you get the crown”. “Fine I shall be off to get back my crown.”

It was time Tristan had arrived at the bridge and made a general area that the cave would be in. Tristan had thought about it and decided to not tell Leon or Louis about the plan because they were now suspects in the case. The whole thing reminded him of one of those old adventure stories that had been written down in books. The time had come Tristan jumped off the bridge and into the water below. Finding the cave was easier than Tristan at first thought likely the passage had to be easier to get through for everyone to find it unless they had another door. The cave opened up into another room well lit with torches, two men had guns pointed at Tristan both were revolvers.

“Mac sent me” “Mac … oh, he could have sent you through the front door for once, well, come this way the boss is waiting for you to arrive” “Good lets not keep him waiting.”

The room they brought Tristan to was a small rounded room with a stone floor and walls in the middle there behind a desk a figure was seated with his back turned to Tristan. Two guards stood by his sides with rifles in their hands at that moment he became happy that he had his luger in his coat pocket but it was questionable if it would work well as he had been in the water and it could still have water in it.

The figure in the chair spun around to look at Tristan “Ah good, Mac sent me another victim without his knowledge that you would be harmed, Ben and Paul you two are dismissed”. The guards that brought Tristan in walked back out of the room. “So I take it you know who I am and why I’m here” “Yes of course, to retrieve your crown and deal with the criminals who took it although now you also have your corrupt guards who took bribes. I guess you don’t even know how the crown was stolen ?” “Nope not a clue”. “Even if we did bribe the guards we still had to be careful as newcomers might not have been bribed so we snuck into the holding room and slowly removed the case and grabbed the Royal crown that thing was heavy but them hid it in a maintenance cart and left the building”. “Hmm sounds rather easy actually” “Quite so without having bribed most of the guards we would have had a lot more difficult of a job to do, wait a second I haven’t even introduced  myself yet. I am Anton larius head of the Night Watch a criminal organization as you could probably tell and you are Tristan the 33rd of The Tristanian Empire”. “Yes, that would be correct now let's get to negotiating a deal, Mr. Anton”.

“Why would I want a deal, I have you surrounded with guards your resistance would be for nothing”. “If I die my people will want retribution against the criminals who perpetrated the act”. “What if they don’t know who did it ?” “They will, My head Guard Wilhelm knows I am on this journey”. “It appears we are at an impasse Tristan, so what is your plan to get out of this situation”. “That is easy” Tristan rapidly pulled out his Luger, he fired off a shot, it hit the guard to Anton’s Left, the hit was fatal he didn’t get back up. Tristan turned the other guard and fired again it was another direct hit to the chest. Tristan aimed at Anton but gun was jammed he made a split second decision and threw the gun at Anton, stunned by the action he staggered. Moving around the desk Tristan grabbed him by the front of his shirt.

“Are we really at an impasse Anton” “I suppose not now,  what do you want Tristan”. “I  want the crown and you to order your guards surrender in return I will spare you and some of your men” “I guess that’s the best I will get at this moment hmmm … it a deal for now” “Good” As Anton finished the guards busted through the door. “Guards stand down we have made a deal with the King” “Understood” paul responded. Both the Guards lowered their weapons off of Tristan. “So where is the Crown Anton” “It’s in the vault I will have Paul grab it immediately” Paul understanding his orders went to go carry them out.

“So we’re good right Tristan” “Yes I shall not break my promise just don’t steal from the Tristanian government and we shall have a deal from now on as well as you help to protect our civilians from harm” “You have a deal Sir” “Good I shall be going” “The other entrance it that way” Anton pointed down a hallway that gradually led upwards towards the surface. When Tristan exited the hallway he was in what looked like a basement. once on the street he headed towards Volksburg again. Upon reaching his inn room Tristan could hear Louis and Leon arguing he burst into the room.

Leon and Louis both had guns pointed at each other. “Ah good Tristan is here maybe he will listen” Leon turned to him “Louis tried to kill me and is a traitor” “I know all about it and I just made a deal with the guy who hired him. Louis you are under arrest for trying to steal the royal crown of Tristania not put the gun down before I make you”. “Fine I guess I have no choice now do I” “Nope none whatsoever if you even try anything I will shoot you” “Arrest me then” “Leon go tie him up and get packing we are heading back to Capitol Hill” “Good I was hoping to get out of here soon”.

And soon Tristan, Leon and their Carnotaurus Brian were home with the traitor Louis. The other corrupt soldiers would be tried in a military court but in Louis’s  case he would be imprisoned for life in Fort Oustressen one of the most highly defended places in The Tristanian Empire. And just like that one of the biggest plots against the Tristanian crown was ended and Tristan led Tristania into a prosperous future well as far as we know he could have led them into complete destruction it’s not like that has happened before.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.