Broken (But Not Shattered) | Teen Ink

Broken (But Not Shattered)

May 4, 2017
By LStaley53, Livermore, Maine
More by this author
LStaley53, Livermore, Maine
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Author's note:

Well, it was a redrafting. The original story was LoveStruck, but I changed it due to it being a love story, which is difficult for me because I don't have a girlfriend yet. I think people can learn that one must think before he or she does. 

It began in late spring, during History, one of my least favorite classes. I would trade it for a tech class, like woods or metals. But, nope. According to the stupid school system, I have to take that class in order to graduate. I just wish I could skip to my graduation. If I graduate, I’ll be DONE with this s***hole, and not have to come back. My job at the Warsaw Paper Mill would cover me for at least, 20 or more years. Plus, with that job, I had insurance and a lot of money.
Anyway, after History (which was my last class of the day), I did my usual. I went to my locker, picked up my stuff, and left for work. But right before I was out the door, I saw Satan. It was June, my girlfriend from hell.
“Hi, babe! Happy to see me?” She asked.
“Yes. So happy.” I said through my teeth. She gave me a kiss, which I hated. Her lips tasted like vinegar, and her breath reeked! God, I’d expected her to at least brush her teeth once in a while. I tried dumping her but she begged me not to.
“Say, would you mind giving me a hand with my stuff?” She asked.
“Fine,” I said. I picked up her stuff and headed down to her locker. God, I hated her. I even moved away from her. She drove me batshit crazy. She was pure evil. At my old school, she used to follow me around everywhere. Even in the bathrooms. She just wouldn't leave me alone.
“Uh, how  did you find me?” I asked her.
“My friends told me. They said you moved to Canton.” She said.
“Yep. I did.” 
“Babe. Why didn’t you tell me? I would’ve gone with you.” She whined.
“Yeah, I know. That is why I moved.” I replied.
“Well, now I’m here. So we can be together forever.” She smiled, then hugged me. The way she said it, I felt was about to serve a death sentence. Like I was walking the Green Mile. While she was taking care of her stuff, I made a run for it. I would’ve taken off in my truck, but I got caught up in a brawl between two pissed off assholes who decided the lobby was the UFC, only there was no ring announcers or officials. So I had to dive in there and break it up, while almost getting punched in the process. Luckily, Mr. Morris came and helped me. But, he misunderstood the message. He suspended all three of us. The two assholes I get. But me, come on! You have to agree that’s bullshit.  At least I don’t have to go to work, which is actually a bonus. I needed a vacation. My back would agree. I know I sound like an old man, but trust me. After lifting really heavy parts for the machines, your back would want you to take a break.

Well, my suspension was more like a vacation. I got time to do whatever the hell I wanted. Plus, my Dad didn’t b**** at me like most Dads do. He was pretty chill.
Anyways, I got to go wherever, whenever. I was a free bird. But, free birds always find themselves in cages. My “cage” was the remaining five days that I had to spend in school, which is lame. So, when I got off the bus (my dad took my truck, and Mom left with the car), I was ordered to go to the “suspension room”, which was more like an interrogation room. I had to spend an entire day with those two assholes in the fight. I still had my phone on me, so I texted my girlfriend.


Me: HEY BABE
Her: HAYYY WHERE R U?
Me: SUSPENSION ROOM
Her:  DID U GET SUSPENDED?
Me: YEP
Her: WHAT 4?
Me: BR8KING UP A FIGHT
Her: THAT’S BS
Me: I NO
Her:  U HUNGRY?
Me: YEAH
Her: WAT DO U WANT ME 2 GET?
Me: BURGER KING
Her:  K-ON MY WAY OUT
Me: THNX
Her: WELCOME <3 U
Me: <3 U 2
Her: BYE
Me: BYE


And just like that, she was off to Burger King. I don’t know why but I have had a hankerin’ (Mainer’s term for “craving”) for one of their whoppers. I hate KFC. Here’s why: about a month ago,  my Aunt Maggie’s boyfriend (and my best friend) Jeremy had a massive heart attack. The last meal he ever ate was KFC’s $5 fill-up, so  Aunt Maggie and I (and pretty much the rest of the family) vowed never to eat there again. But, being suspended sucks because I have to go with Aunt Maggie to settle his estate. If I don’t get there soon, Aunt Maggie will lose the estate, which means she’ll lose her home. I can’t let that happen, mostly because she’s broke. If she loses that home, her and my younger cousin Tommy will be homeless. So, I have to show up at court.
“Dude, you okay? You seem kinda tense.” One of the assholes asked.
“No! I have to be in court in an hour. If I don’t show up, my Aunt Maggie will lose her home!” I replied.
“Sounds pretty serious.” The other asshole asked.
“It is!” I said.
“Alright, I’ll bust you out. I’ve got a plan.” The first guy said.
“Thanks, uh..?”
“Josh.” He said.
“Thanks, Josh,” I replied.
“Matt.” The other guy said.
“Alright thanks, Matt and Josh. This means a lot.” I said.
“Eh, don’t sweat it. I’ve broken out dozens of times. This’ll be a piece of cake.” He said.
So, Josh snuck me out the back window. The supervisor (who was passed out drunk) didn’t notice. Matt was the lookout. He was in charge of keeping an eye out in case anybody peeked and saw us escaping. the three of us headed over to the window. My truck was in the parking lot, which was not that far away. So, Josh threw down his bag to catch my fall. We were on the second floor of the building, but I didn’t really care. I mean, I was nervous at first, but then it all went naturally like it was meant to happen.
Anyways, I hopped out the window. I threw Josh’s stuff back up and booked it. I had little time to fool around. But, I forgot to tell my girlfriend. Luckily, Matt had my back. So, to court, I go.

After playing traffic dodgeball in the pouring rain, I finally made it to court. I still had my fancy suit on. The only thing was my hair. Luckily, it was wet enough for me to style it back. I would’ve styled it fancy, but I didn’t have enough time. The second I walked in, the court had begun.
“All rise for the honorable Judge Iris Stevens.” The officer bellowed. We all rose, only to sit down half a minute later.
“Well, let’s get this over with. We are here to settle the estate of one Travis C. Martin. Is that correct?” Jude Iris asked.
“Yes, your honor.” Aunt Maggie’s lawyer replied. The judge gave a quick nod to Aunt Maggie.
“Now, were there any known debts at all that is part of the estate?”
“Yes, your honor. Mr. Martin had owed a total $49,584, each to a different bank.” I said.
“Now, what bank would those be?” She asked.
“Redding Federal, Wilson-Douglas, Lewiston Savings, and Elizabeth. All of which were credit cards, except for Lewiston Savings.”
“And what debt was owed there?” She asked.
“A loan of $23,000 for an Oldridge Double-wide,” I replied.
“I see. Other than the debts and the home, is there anything else?” She asked.
“Yes, your honor. He owned a 1998 Dodge Ram that his father had bought for him.” I said.
“Okay. Now, you’re here acting for a miss Margaret Tucker, is that correct?” 
“Yes, your honor. She was his spouse.”
“Hm. Mrs. Tucker, can you afford to find another house, or is this your only home?” She asked her.
“This is my only home, your honor. My son and I live there.” She said. 
“And what is your son’s name?”
“Thomas P. Huston.”
“Okay. Based upon my records, Jeremy acted as a father figure to Thomas, right?” She asked.
“Yes, ma’am.”
“Alright. Are you presently employed?” She asked.
“No, your honor. I am not.”
“Okay. What do you have to say about this matter, Mrs. Springs?” She asked Marie. Now, all of us were getting nervous. We thought she would snap at the judge or something like that, but she didn’t. She kept nice and calm.
“Nothing, your honor,” Marie said. We all sighed with relief.
“Okay. Since Mrs. Tucker doesn’t have a job to cover his debts, the estate will be given to MaryAnne Springs. The court is adjourned.” All of us stood in shock. I can’t believe it. Maggie just lost her only home. I mean, isn’t losing her boyfriend enough? Jeez. What is with the court system these days? That is just so unfair.
So, after court was over, we headed to Mario’s for some lunch. Most of us got back in the car. Maggie had a cigarette, as she normally does when she’s pissed off. So, we all waited until she was done her cigarette. None of us couldn’t believe that Maggie is being evicted from her own home. While we were waiting, we saw Marie standing by the front doors of the court, smiling. By the look on Aunt Maggie’s face, I could tell she was ready to beat the living s*** out of her. Marie came over to gloat, which didn’t seem to make Maggie happy one bit. It just seemed to piss her off more.
“Well, one man’s victory is another man’s failure.” She said, still with a menacing grin.
“Why don’t you just go to hell, you b****! You’re probably welcome there!” Aunt Maggie retaliated. All of us were bracing for impact.
“Well, at least I don’t sleep around with him like you do.” Marie retaliated. Then, all hell broke loose. Maggie tackled Marie to the ground and struck several blows to her head. After all these years, I’d never known Aunt Maggie to be that violent. She just kept striking blow after blow after blow. She just kept punching her and beating her. I had to step in before Maggie wound up in jail for murder. But, I couldn’t get her off. The entire family had to come and help me. Eventually, we got her off. We hauled her back into the car and left. We were gonna stop for lunch, but after the brawl that just went down, we decided to take her home instead. Grandma just kept yelling at her the whole ride back. All of our faces were beet red from us being pissed off at her.
“You heard what she said to me!” Maggie said.
“Yeah, but is no excuse. Maggie, I can’t believe you did that! I know she was a b****, but you didn’t need to beat her up!” Gram replied.
“Well, I had to! I had no choice!” She replied.
“You ALWAYS have a choice. You know, your dad is rolling over in his grave right now. I can’t believe you, Maggie! You know, you’re the worst daughter I ever had! I should’ve stopped after I had Alex’s mom1 Jesus Christ!” Grandma shouted. Maggie began to cry, worse than on the night Travis died.
“Okay, let’s just calm down here,” I said.
“Shut up!” They both shouted. Suddenly, the Brady Bunch of a family we had was starting to fall apart. Mom and I were the only victims. I never saw Aunt Maggie, or Grandma say a word to each other again. If we had to go see them, we had to split. Mom went to Maggie, and I went to Gram. Mom and I swapped, usually after each visit. We never spoke a word about the other. Whenever Grandma would ask, we lied and said, “no”. Whenever Aunt Maggie asked, we lied and said “no”. I can’t believe this. Mom couldn’t take it anymore. Mom moved to Boston, where she felt she belonged. I had to stay in Maine. Luckily, Grandpa Joe had a house that he was selling that I could live in. It came with a two-car garage attached, and it has a nice view of the lake. I remember going swimming up there as a kid. Mom, Grandma, and Grandpa Joe stayed on the shores, in the nice, cool shade. We were all having a hell of a time. I also remember him making a nice steak, as he always did. He was a terrific cook. After Dad died, and when Mom was having her mental breakdown, I stayed at his place and I remember just sitting outside, enjoying a nice cold can of Coca-Cola. He made this giant steak. He and I both could barely eat the half of it.
Anyways, I’m living at the house. A few weeks later, June moved in. Apparently, some s*** went down at her place and she needed a new place to stay. When she heard that I was moving, she decided to tag along. At first, I said “no” because she drove me batshit crazy, but after the s***, she went through, I had to let her in. While she and I were living together, I realized what a great person she was. I’m not being sarcastic. She really is a nice person. She took care of the flower gardens for me. She knew flowers like the back of her hand. She even knew the soil they grew on! How neat is that?!
I digress. So, everything went normally, despite the fact that Maggie and Grandma aren’t getting along. But now, I have to face a challenge no man can survive. Read on to find out what it is.

You remember what I said last chapter about a challenge that no man can face? Well, this is it. If this happened to you too, you’re not alone. Not only is being a dad hard work, but it’s exhausting. It sucks being a father. I have no clue how to raise a girl. Let me tell you, raising a girl  (or any type of child for that matter) is like raising a herd of wild horses. When they run, good luck trying to catch them. Here’s my story.
So, I was mowing my lawn when June called me inside. She sounded worried, so I was worried. She didn’t usually look this way. Normally, she’s happy. But this time, something was on her mind. Her arm was on her stomach. I thought she was bloated.  I parked the lawn mower by the back door, and turned it off so I could hear her. She called me in closer, like someone was listening.
“Babe, I have to tell you something.” She said softly.
“What’s up?” I asked.
“It’s serious. I’m not sure if I can tell you.” She said.
“Babe, you can tell me anything. You know that.” I said, then kissed her.
“I know, but this is much more serious.” She said.
“What?”
“Babe, I’m pregnant.” She said.
“What?!” I shouted.
“I’m pregnant.” She said, smiling.
“I get that part, but seriously?! Is it even mine?!” I asked.
“Yep. Congrats, babe. You and I are gonna be parents.” I stood in shock. Then, I felt weak. My legs gave out. I can’t believe it. I was goonna be a dad. I felt like I just been kicked in the stomach. My life just kick into overdrive. I had no clue how to raise a child. I wasn’t ready. I just graduated college. I can’t believe it. This is just too much. I could no longer bear it. The thought alone struck a humongous blow to my core. Everything I planned to do vanished before my eyes. But, I got an idea. I even told it to June, who wasn’t pleased about it.
“Why not, June? I’ll even pay the money myself.” I said to her.
“NO! Look, ever since I turned twenty, I wanted to be a parent. I’ve seen all my friends and their children. I wanted to be more like them. They seemed happy. Plus, a child can bring us closer together. Isn’t that what you wanted?” She asked. She had a good point there, but I wasn’t willing to give up the ghost.
“I do want us to be closer together, but not with a child! I’m sorry I have to say this, but we’re done.” I said.
“What?” She said.
“We’re done. I can’t take care of it. You know me. Look I wish you the best of luck with your new boyfriend. I’ll even help you move.” I said. Then, she cried. I didn’t mean to hurt her feelings, but I just couldn’t do it. So I had to make a choice: stay and be a dad for the rest of my life, or break up with her and be free of annoying children. I chose to dump her. It hurt me too, but I just wasn’t ready to be a dad.
After her sobfest, she remained quiet. She shot me a pissed off look. her face was still red, there were spots of tears all over her ceeks. In lieu of words, we just stood there. Suddenly, she slapped me. I did not see that coming. She slapped me again. And again. And gain. The first two slaps, I got. But after the third, I just went back to mowing the lawn. We never uttered a word to each other since then. I’ve tried through text, but whatever I typed, she always replied with: F*** U. Shakespeare was right. Hell hath no fury like a woman scourned.
So, a year went by. This was beyond her due date. So, while she was at work, I stayed home and took care of her stuff. Don’t ask how I took care of it. But, I’ll give you a hint: it involves gasoline, flames and matches. And I did that to all of her stuff, except her jewlery. I sold that. Man, who knew family heirlooms sold for so much?! When she got home, she was even more pissed off.
“What the hell did you do with all my stuff?!” She shouted at me.
“I took care of it.” I replied.
“Alex, I’m gonna ask you one more time. What did you do with all of my stuff?” She asked.
“Like I said, I took care of it.” I said. Then, she slapped me. I couldn’t help but grin. So, I looked out the window. She was scrounging around the sheds to find her stuff. She looked all around the house. Nothing. She eventually figured out what I did with it. Then, she stormed back into the house.
“YOU F***ING ASSHOLE! I can’t believe you burned all of my stuff! I mean, what kind of hypocrite does that?!” She shouted crying.
“Well, I didn’t know. I’m sorry.” I lied.
“You think this is funny?!?!”
“Well, yeah. Look at the way you’re acting right now. How can you watch that with a straight face?” I said, brsting out laughing.
“You’re buying it.” She said.
“Yeah, right. I ain’t buyin’ you s***.”
“The hell you aren’t! I want every single thing back to where it was before!!” I laughed.
“Look, we are no longer a couple. Therefore, I don’t have to buy you a single thing. So there. How do you like them apples?” I said.
“Wow. You really are an asshole.?” She said 
“Yeah, I know. But technically, you were supposed to move out last week. And Since you refused to do so, I took all of your stuff and burned it.” I said.
“Fine. You want me gone? I’m gone.” She said.
“Good. Go!” I retaliated.
“I will!” She said. But she didn’t.  She just stood there with her arms crossed.
“You gonna go or what?” I asked.
“I need you to come with me.” She whined.
“Uggh. Fine. Where we going?” I asked.
“Look, I need to talk to you.”
“Why can’t we just talk here?” I asked.
“Because I wanna go out to eat. I know how hard you’ve been working. I didn’t want you to have to cook.” She said.
“I don’t mind cooking.” I said.
“I know, but I didn’t want to wear you out. So, please can we go out to eat?” She asked. I knew she wasn’t gonna give this up. I just knew it.
“Fine. Let me get dressed and we’ll go.” I replied.
“You’re already dressed.”
“Let me change out of work clothes.” So I got up, and changed over. She wanted to take my truck, as always. So, we left and arrived at Mario’s, a semi-fancy Italian restaurant located on the other side of town. I drove, of course. So, while we were waiting for our meals, we talked.
“So, June, you wanted to talk?” I asked.
“Hm? Oh, yeah. Look, I want to get back together. I miss the way things were between us. Most of all, I miss you. All the nights we spent together cuddling and watching The Proposal. Those are the moments that…I just want to relive over again.” She had a good point. I do miss those nights. But, we gotta move on. Even though what she said was convincing, I still didn’t want to live a life like that. So, I got up, and left. As I was walking towards the truck, I saw her pull out a notebook, and cross something out.
Turns out, she made a list of attempts to try and get us back together. I found out (via friends and other sources). At every attempt, I just got up and walked away. The last one really got to her, which in turn, got to me. Her final attempt was a movie, which I just walked out of. So she followed me out of the theater. This time, with tears running down her face.
“I don’t understand! Almost every time I try and get us back together, it doesn’t f***ing work! Why the hell don’t you want to get back together with me?!” She shouted crying.
“Because I just don’t. Look,you’re a really beautiful girl, and you deserve an awesome guy, but that guy just isn’t me.” She was still crying.  But then, her crying seemed to slow down.
“Why not? I mean, I am carrying your child. I can’t bare raising it without knowing who his father was.” She said.
“Wait, it’s a boy?” I asked.
“No! I don’t know what gender it is yet, but you have to help me raise it. Please!” She begged.
“Sorry, June. But raising a child is not in my agenda. ” I said. Then, her mood drastically changed.
“Fine! If you won’t help me, then I guess I’ll find a new boyfriend. At least he will be happy raising a child!” She shouted. I chuckled.
“Go ahead. We’re not even dating anymore, so why should I even care?” I said. I got back in the truck, and left. I had to turn around and get June, considering I (almost) forgot her. At least this time I didn’t drive too far. So, I dropped her off at a nearby hotel. I gave her some cash for a room, since she was broke. On second thought, maybe I shouldn’t have burned her stuff. So, on that same night, I went around town searching for what her stuff used to look like. Luckily, I found most of it. But, the jewlery I had a hard time. The guy at the pawn shop refused to give it up. I had the cash, but he was too stubborn. I bargained with the guy. We negotiated several times. At last, I finally got through to him. Unfortunately, that meant leaving me without a vehicle. I sold the car to June back when we were together, in case you’re wondering. So now, I had to walk around carrying a boatload of her stuff, including the jewelry. Man, at first I was pissed because I lost my truck. But, then I got over it. I was trying to make her happy again after what I did to her.  This act was the only way I could repay June. Nothing makes me more happier than seeing her face brighten the day with a nice smile. According to Janis Joplin, I took another little piece of her heart. That’s what hurt me the most. 

So, after hiking a mile in the dark without a flashlight, I found her hotel. Fortunately, it was still open. I walked in, and asked the clerk what room she was in. When I heard the news that she checked out, I was stunned. I mean, where could she have gone? I started to panic. So, I rushed out of the hotel. My heart was racing. I was looking all over the place for her. She didn’t leave a single trace behind. So, I went all over town. Then, the city Then, the entire state. I couldn’t find her anywhere, until I got this mysterious call on my phone. His voice sounded like Jigsaw’s.
“Hello?” I asked.
“Hello, Peter.” The man said.
“How do you know my name?” I asked.
“I have sources. Anyways, I have June. So, if you want her back, you’re gonna have to pay.” He said.
“How much?” I asked.
“$50 million. Deliver it by midnight, or else she gets it.” I knew from horror movies that when someone says that he or she “gets it”, that means the kidnapper’s gonna kill him or her. I can’t risk losing June, espeacially since she has a baby on the way.
“Alright, $50 million it is. Just please promise you’ll let her go if I pay.” I whined. Very rarely do I cry. But, considering the situation, I had to. She meant a lot to me. Now, I’m starting to regret dumping her.
“I promise. Meet me at Hallabay Harbor. Don’t bring the cops.” He demanded. If we wanted cash that badly, he could’ve gotten a job. But, he was holding June hostage, so it’s not my word to say. So, I went to the bank, and drained every dime I had for the ransom. I didn’t want her to get hurt, so I tried to meet every one of his requirements. I got the money, and I met him at Hallabay Harbor. When I met him, he looked like just got out of prison. His hair was in a mess, and he had a scraggly beard with bits of beef and corn on the side. He had a .44 Magnum aimed flush to June’s head. If you’ve seen the Dirty Harry franchise, you’d know what a .44 Magnum would do. Clint Eastwood even said it several times. I couldn’t risk seeing June’s head blown clean off, killing her and the baby. He pulled the hammer back, and I forked over the cash. But, he lied. Before he pulled the trigger, I tackled him down. Me and him were like Anderson Silva and Randy Ortiz. Every time he puched me, I countered. There was blood splattering the cold tar. Then, I thought I had knocked him out. Like an idiot, I got closer to make sure.
To my surprise, he rose like a zombie and put both of his ginormous hands around my throat, and began squeezing. I I tried reaching for the gun, but he snatched it before I could grab it. He put the barrel square to my head, and c***ed the hammer back. I knew I was done for. I took a quick peek at June, who was freaking out. As defense, she grabbed a metal pipe and swung it over his head. He stumbled off me, which gave me time to get back on my feet. He still had the gun. Once he got up, he aimed it at June. He fired, but I dove right in front of her, and caught the bullet before it hit. He shot me right where my diaphragm was. I felt blood burst out of me like an alien. I began having trouble breathing. Finally the cops came out and took him away. The medic was on its way, but by the time it had showed up, it was too late. I was dead.

There was this white light I saw. It led me to believe I was near Heaven. I just had to get through the gates, which was easy. God knew me well. He knew my family well too. God was a nice guy. I just wish I remembered to go to church every Sunday. But instead, I just read the Bible. I know I’ve been swearing like a sailor throughout this novel, but still. To me, Heaven wasn’t about whether you swore, or whether you did it before marriage. It was about finding peace and looking out for one another. It was about doing good deeds, and helping those in need. That’s why I got into Heaven. Not just for saving June’s life, but for my good deeds. That’s why my death came as such a shock to everyone. When I looked down, I saw almost everyone was in tears, including June. 
Now, everyone has their own version of God. Mine looks like Uncle Wayne from Ghosts of Girlfriends Past.  Him and me just sat down and watched my funeral take place. The first part, they played Down in a Hole by Alice In Chains which was accompanied by a slideshow of every picture with me in them. There was not a dry eye in the house. Even the principal, who stood at the podium and read my eulogy, was in tears. I couldn’t watch this anymore. Seeing my own funeral and my own dear friends and loved ones upset was just too much for me to bear. So, I got up from the couch (which was really comfortable) and left. After awhile, I returned.
“You alright, kid?” God said.
“Yeah, I’m fine.” I responded.
“Listen, I know seeing your own funeral is too upsetting for you. But, you gotta do it. I appreciate what you did, though. You risked your life to save another. I admire that quality. Most people have it, some don’t. You, my dear friend, have it and used it wisely. So sit down, take a load off. You’re gonna enjoy it up here.” He said. At first, I thought the last sentence he said was a bit creepy. But, after what I’ve just been through, I probably am gonna enjoy it up here.
Well, almost a year went by since I was murdered. I checked in on June whenever I got the chance. She never went out with anyone since me. From what I hear, the baby was a girl. She named her “Alexandria”, after her great-great grandmother. I was pleased to see my little girl.  Too bad I wasn’t there to hold June’s hand during the delivery, or that I wasn’t there to hold Alex.  I bet she would’ve made an awesome daughter. But, of course my insecure inner self wouldn’t allow it. But, at least she can take care of her for me, even though I won’t be there during her graduation, or on her wedding day. Heck, I won’t even see her grow up. I’ll just have to spend the rest of my life (or should I say, afterlife) here in Heaven. But, I’ll still check on her now and then to see how she’s doing.
While I was up here, I met my dad, whom I haven’t seen since I was ten. He hadn’t changed a bit. He still had  his slick-backed hair, Dickie’s, denim jeans, and signature leather boots.
“Well, you’re here early.” He said.
“I know. Did you see what happened?” I asked.
“Yeah, I read it in the paper.” He replied. He always read the paper. He wasn’t a fan of T.V. He always thought it was “a waste of good time”. But, he did watch the local news. That was pretty much the only thing, besides Jeopardy. Jeopardy was his favorite show, and I remember sitting by the T.V. with a notepad and pencil, and we would always write down our answers, and wait to see if we got it right or not.

“So, you wanna watch Jeopardy?” He asked.
“Sure.” I replied. So, we both sat down at the giant white T.V. and watched Jeopardy. We got ‘em all right, which was a new record for the both of us. God joined us.
“So, anybody want coffee?” God asked.
“I’ll have a cup.” Dad said.
“Me too.” I replied.
“Alright. B.R.B.” God said. He returned with three cups of coffee: one for him, one for Dad, and one for me. To my surprise, it tasted really good. It tasted better than any cup I’ve made, that’s for sure. So, we spent the next three or four hours watching Jeopardy and drinking coffee. At often times, we’d take breaks when it went to commercial. We were having a blast. To Nirvana and Alice In Chains fans, read on to the next chapter. You’ll have to guess who makes a special appearance.

Well, time went on with Jeopardy, coffee, and conversation. We mostly talked about music, and our childhood memories. My favorite genre of music was grunge. More specifically, Nirvana and Alice In Chains. They’re my two favorite. Before I died, I listened to them all the time. They spoke to me. It’s like they knew my life, and turned it into music. It’s sad to find that the lead singer of both bands had died. They were legends. They were beyond their time. But, as they say, all good things must come to an end. But, Nirvana and Alice In Chains were not just “good”. They were awesome. There was no one else like them who could do what they did.
Anyways, we were right in the middle of talking about Nirvana when I heard footsteps behind me. I couldn’t believe my eyes. Standing right behind me were the legends themselves. If you guessed Kurt Cobain and Layne Staley, then you are right. It was them! My dreams of meeting them came true! I was so nervous to speak to them. Luckily, God started things off for me so I wouldn’t have to speak.
“Hey guys. I’d like you two to meet the newest member of our team. Guys, this is Peter. Peter, this is Kurt and Layne.” He said.
“Hi.” They both said.
“Hi.” I said.
“So, whatcha guys doin’?” Kurt asked.
“Watchin’ Jeopardy and sippin’ coffee.” God replied.
“Mind if we join you?” Layne asked.
“Nah, go ahead. I’ll fetch us some more coffee.” God said, then he left. I couldn’t believe it. I was sitting next to Kurt Cobain and Layne Staley! They were my two biggest heroes! They were icons! Where would the world be without Kurt Cobain and Layne Staley? My guess, it’d be in utter chaos. I mean, without their music, my life would’ve been a mixture of corruption and disaster.
“So, uh, Peter is it? I heard you listen to my kind of music. Very good taste, I might add.” Layne said.
“Yep. It got me through a real tough time. Same with yours, Kurt.” I said.
“Well, that’s good then. Glad to see my music still lives on.” Kurt said.
“Yeah, mine too. Say, why are you here?” Layne asked me.
“Got murdered.” I replied.
“12-gauge?” Kurt asked.
“No, .44 Magnum.”
“Ah, I see. Who did it?” Kurt asked.
“I don’t know, some deranged psycho.” They both burst lout laughing.
“A deranged psycho, huh? There are plenty more of those, aren’t there, Layne?” This time, we all laughed. We were all having a blast, especially Kurt. He nearly busted a gut. Then, God returned with our coffee. Of all of us, I ended up drinking more coffee. I had to pee like a racehorse. Luckily, a bathroom wasn’t too far away.
  “Well, I gotta go empty the fuel tank. Be right back.” I said.
“We’ll keep your spot warm for ya.” God said. Then, I left. hen I entered the bathroom, it was huge. Each stall was like a living room. They each had a flat-screeen T.V., with really comfortable toilet seats. So, I used one, and it. Was. Awesome! I could live in here! All I would need is food, and I’ll be all set.
Anyways, the rest of my life I spent with my heroes, my dad, and God himself. Although, I do miss being near June. I was there for her most of the time. We were always cuddling, so there wasn’t a second we spent apart. Whenever I went to work, or in town somewhere, she would always come with me. She was a good friend, I’ll give her that. But, I can’t now. It’s too late. All I can do is hope that she’ll live a better life than the one I gave her, and keep an eye on her to make sure she’s okay. I’ll save her a spot up here in Heaven, so that when she dies, she’ll be here with me. I’ll have her by my side always and forever. I know it may sound bad, but trust me. When you’re dating someone, you’ll want to spend the rest of your life with them. I know I have, even though I didn’t treat her as wellas I should have. I burned all of her stuff, but I did make up for it (or at least, tried to). But, I’ll be waiting for her. And soon,we’ll be reunited. I just can’t rush it.

 

 


            THE END



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.