Aequor♫ | Teen Ink

Aequor♫

February 2, 2016
By Roiel SILVER, youMayneverknow, Oklahoma
More by this author
Roiel SILVER, YouMayneverknow, Oklahoma
9 articles 13 photos 12 comments

Favorite Quote:
I believe that you should never feel compelled to explain yourself if you know your telling the truth.


Author's note:

Let me know your thoughts and if there should be a second book.

Merliah is a mermaid and she thinks she is the only one. She grew up around Calypso until she was 13. A month before she had turned 13, a king had docked on the small island to restock supplies. Merliah had avoided them by staying hidden up in the trees. On the night of her 13th birthday she went for a swim. As soon as she touched the water her legs began to burn.

She screamed and cried until the burning stopped. For the first time ever, she had a tail. The king's men had heard the screaming and found Merliah there on shore. They took her as a souvenir and imprisoned her in a glass case till they got back to the kingdom where they placed her in an even bigger glass tank. Merliah spent most of her life there learning how to shift back and forth between legs and a tail. She also learned that she had the power to control water until she was 21.

The kingdom fell under attack and fled with everything they could fit on their ship including Merliah. Soon the enemy ships caught up with them around the time they were passing Calypso. The enemy ships sank the boat. All the crew, and the king drowned. Merliah was freed in the process. She now is 22 and has lived alone on the island for almost a year. There has been a ship anchored a mile from shore for about a week now. They dropped some things off on the island the other day, Merliah has decided to investigate.

Chapter 1

I swum up to a man on the beach. He was talking to one of his shipmates. I remember overhearing stories of pirates in the castle, how they saved princesses and fought for chivalry and honor. They were carrying crates on the island labeled: Food, Locks, Weights, Rope, and chains. I swum over a little closer to hear what they were talking about.

"Captain, you don't really think your going to find one do you?" The red haired man said as he helped set the crate of chains down. The one with a big hat then answered him. "Dont doubt me. This is where i was told to come in order to find her James.

Have you seen Cleyton this morning?" James answered, "Not since he left for a swim. I think he's studying the island again. What does he think he's gonna find any way?" "Nothing, just taking note on the place."

James dropped the second crate on the captain's foot. He shouted a weird word or two at James in anger. I laughed a little. "Get back to the ship! Don't come back unless i signal it!"

James scurried back to the smaller boat and rowed back to the ship meanwhile The captain kicked the sand in anger. Some of the sand flew in my eye. "Hey!" I yelled. I seemed like he couldn't hear me, so i splashed him with my tail.

He looked over to where i was and did a double take. He took a step back rubbing his eyes. He looked again then ran furiously from crate to crate. When i realized what he was doing, i turned around and went to swim away but it was already to late. He had me shackled to the tail.

I struggled to get away even though i knew it was useless. He crouched down to study my tail and as he reached over to touch it i smacked him hard on his cheek. Baffled, he fell in a sitting position. He held his jaw line and stroked his chin.Then he stood up and whistled loudly to the smaller ship to come back that james was in.

The captain walked away to another crate. I yanked and pulled on the chain to get it to the drop off. Just a little further. I yanked the chain again. The weight dropped from the sand like an avalanche dragging me down with it until it hit a concrete bench.

The bench was from the shipwreck. Before it sank i remember men throwing heavy things off the ship so that it wouldn't go down as fast. The drop off was only 15 feet. The water around Calypso is crystal clear. I saw the captain walk over to the edge of the drop off and peer down at me.

I looked back down to try and find something to smash the locks with. But all i saw were drawings of tropical flowers I had carved into muscle shells. Suddenly I saw a very large grey blur a few yards in front of me. As it got closer it became clear that it was a shark. I froze. This is it.

I fainted. 'click'. I heard a break in the chain, I opened my eyes slightly to a blur of bubbles that surrounded me. I was being pushed up on shore. The water around me was very warm, like a shallow tide pool that has had the sun on it all day.

I closed my eyes again. When i awoke, I noticed that the sun would be setting in an hour or so. I shifted from tail to legs then made my way to the other side of the island in hope that i wouldn't be disturbed by any unwanted visitors. I pulled out a dark red king size blanket that i keep folded up from inside a hole that I found in one of the trees. There is a small clearing not to far from the water.

Sometimes instead of sleeping under the waves on the bed in the ship I sleep under the stars on the sand. The wind picked up as i went to lay down. I fell asleep to the crash of the waves and the gentle sway of the trees.

A silvery blue tail, similar to mine, swam away till it was a blur. I reached out towards it... 'thunk'. I woke up cramped in a wooden crate, trapped again. I tried to look through the cracks in the crate but all i saw were blobs of people moving about. I tried to move and pushed on the walls of the crate.

I scratched on the top of the crate to try and find a loose end. I picked at a loose nail and my finger slipped off causing my nail to dig into the wood which gave me a splinter under my nail. I pulled my hang back in pain as two men picked up the crate i was in. Their voices were the same as the men on the beach. James and the captain.

", and you're sure she's a mermaid?" James asked. Matthew answered annoyed, "Yes, she is. I saw her tail." They set the crate down with a hard thunk. "Oh really?" James asked sarcastically, "Then how did she escape?" I set my hand down and hit the splinter again. My hand shot back and whacked the crate. "Sounds like she's awake."

The top of the crate cracked open, two men dumped me out onto the deck in the middle of their crew. I curled up, covered my bare chest and crossed my legs. What ever happened to saving the damsel? I do not like pirates anymore, they are nothing like the stories I overheard in the castle. I felt helpless.

James continued, "And wheres her tail now?" The captain smacked James slightly over the head, "Dont you question me. I know what i saw and i dont have to explain anything, especially to you. Need i remind you of the jewels you caused to fall overboard?" James poked at me with his sword, "Is Cleyton back yet?

He may want to have a look at this." The captain took a step towards me and ordered the crew to get back to work. He pushed James's sword away, "Im sure we can get along without him for now." "We could splash some water on her to see if she'll turn," The captain clutched James's shoulders. "That's the first time in days you've said or done something worth my time," The captain proudly exclaimed.

"Help bring her to the upper deck, there's a bucket of water up there." James and the captain picked me up by my shoulders and feet. They were halfway up the stairs when i jerked out of their grasp and over the railing into the water. I shifted and went to swim away when a glimmer caught my eye. I strained to get a better look as a silvery blue tail, like mine, swam out of sight and around to the other side of the ship.

I reached out towards it, then a net dropped and surrounded me. I frantically searched for a way out as they dragged me in. The net tightened and twisted until my fingers were tangled in my hair and the net. It restrained my arms and and tail to the point where i didnt have enough room to shift. The captain, James and another man to pull me up back onto the ship.

He had black hair with small wavy strands all over. His eyes were a very light brown, close to a dark red. The captain spoke to him. "Cleyton, Take her to the cavity and untangle her."

"NO!!" I screamed. Cleyton picked me up like i wasn't heavy at all, and took me into a room. I smacked him with my tail as he set me down. His hair was wet and he smelled like the shipwreck near Calypso. "Quit, can't you see i'm trying to help you?"

Cleyton layed me down on the bed and kneeled down to start and untangle my tail from the net. He moved the net ever so gently around my tail. He looked like he knew what he was doing. He didn't gawk at my tail or even act surprised at what I was. He stopped untangling me at my waist and walked over to a wardrobe that was mounted to the floor.

He pulled out a shirt and a leather skirt. I was relieved that he wasn't going to let me stay nude the whole time. He slipped the skirt on over my tail then proceeded to untie me waist up. I awkwardly looked to the ceiling to avoid eye contact. I could feel my face burning bright red.

The captain walked in to check on Clayton's progress on untying me. I turned my face into my shoulder in attempt to hide. "Im almost done, Matthew." The captain cleared his throat, thrown by Cleyton calling him by his name. "Cleyton, when your done keep her hands tied to the bed."

I held back tears as panicked thoughts swam through my mind. Matthew steeped to the bed and stood above me. He called for James to come into the room, "James! Bring that bucket i asked for!" James walked in carrying a bucket full of water.

I concentrated on the water and made a pushing motion with my hand. The water splashed out of the bucket and onto James and Matthew. Cleyton laughed under his breath and mumbled "water", to himself. I was curious as to what he was thinking. He shook his head with a smile and reached back down to untangle me.

Matthew smacked James on the back of the head and jerked the now empty water bucket from James. "I told you to bring a water bucket down here so she could get cleaned up! Not so you could!" James paid no attention, he was busy looking me up and down. Cleyton hit him in the stomach,

"What are you looking at?" Cleyton handed me a shirt to put on, meanwhile Matthew scolded James as they walked out of the room. My splinter in my finger caught in the sleeve, "Ah!" I yelped in pain and shook the feeling out of it a few dozen times before the throbbing died down. Cleyton took my hand,

"Here, let me see it, maybe i can fix it. Hold on." He inspected my finger, "Im going to pull it out. If you can shift for legs while i do it then it might take your mind off the pain. Okay?"

I nodded, "Okay,". I shifted and the burning of getting legs took my mind off as he pulled the splinter out. I pouted when he was finished and sucked on my finger until it stopped bleeding. There was a faint heartbeat under my nail. He turned away to get the rope and apologized beforehand about tying me up,

"Sorry, but i have to tie you up. Dont worry, I wont let Matthew or anyone here hurt you, I promise." There was nothing to do now but give in. I handed him my hands and he tied them to the head of the bed. "Please let me go," He ignored me and left. I cried myself to sleep.

Three. Not three hours. Not three days. Weeks. Three weeks. Three weeks of rope burn on my wrists. No one not even Cleyton has acknowledged that i've said a word.

Matthew sends in a different crew member every hour to supervise me. Cleyton gets sent in the most. Its been very humid. I feel like i'm boiling in my own skin. I've never been out of water this long.

Matthew keeps telling everyone that i'm seasick. Cleyton says i'm dehydrated. Cleyton argued to Matthew about my well being a few days ago and Matthew had him banned from mer-watch. Whichever it is, i don't feel well. It's been worse since the heat picked up.

I can feel a tropical storm coming because of how dry its been lately. I keep overhearing the crew members talk about how the upcoming rain is going flood the ship. There is a small circular window above the headboard of the bed. I feels nice when a salty breeze rolls in, but it hasn't for about a week now. Matthew opened the door and walked in with Cleyton.

"-and its getting worse. Good afternoon Victor, you can go now. Cleyton will take it from here." I kept my eyes closed so the glare of the sun wouldn't give me a headache. Cleyton stepped in as Victor stepped out.

"Ill send someone to swap places with you in a moment. You're needed elsewhere before you disappear on us." Matthew marched out and called for the crew members to gather in the Cargo hold. Cleyton shut the door behind him. When he looked over to me he was greatly concerned.

"Your pale!" He walked over to me and felt my forehead with the back of his hand. "your burning up in here," Cleyton reached to untie my hands as the door opened. James stepped in.

"Captain needs you. What are you doing?" There was a red imprint in my wrists that stung as the pressure from the rope was pulled away.

I groaned. Cleyton paid no attention to James. "What are you doing?" James repeated. Cleyton picked me up, "She is dehydrated.

She needs to be in the water." I held tightly to Cleyton's chest and buried my face in his shoulder to avoid the sun's glare. He smelled like he was wearing cologne, but underneath it it smelled like the ocean. James had a crooked grin on his face as he stood in the doorway leaning up against the frame. "Captains not gonna like this..."

Cleyton whispered to me, "Hold on, lets get you to the water." He turned to face James and James continued, "I don't know what you think your doing, but talking to yourself is going to get you put in an insane asylum." Cleyton turned around and continued down the steps. James followed closely behind. Matthew turned around suddenly, at the bottom of the steps, to face James.

"Why do you always have to be in other people's business?" James scoffed all high in his pride, "Not everyone, just you." "Why? Why me?" "Cause you have the mermaid, that i'm supposed to be watching." "She is dehydrated. I need to get her to the water."

"Who made you the expert?" Cleyton kept walking, "I was a marine biologists assistant. Why else do you think your 'captain' kept me on the ship?" James pushed Cleyton. Cleyton set me down, I tried to stand but couldn't.

I immediately fell to the ground. My head ached, i tried to stay awake. Cleyton argued to James. James swung at him, Cleyton dodged it and hit James in the stomach. Cleyton turned back over to me and as he crouched down and his shadow covered my face, I blacked out. A vision started.

There was a crash in the ship. Matthew barked orders as the ship filled with water. Keys, where are the keys? I lifted the water that covered the floor. There! I snached the keys up from the floor then dropped the water.

There was death everywhere. Just like when the king's ship sank. I jumped into the water, 'Tap' 'Tap' 'Tap' Tap'.

I woke up in a tank. Matthew was tapping on the glass.

I touched the glass in front of me. No, not again. Trapped behind glass. Nothing to do but look out to the world. I felt like a child again.

Miserably property again. A prize jewel under lock and key. Matthew left satisfied. I sat back then i noticed Cleyton chained up next to me. "You passed out.

You may want to shift to have a tail so you can be more comfortable." I shook my head, "no i'm fine. thank you though. Why are you locked up?" Cleyton leaned his head back on the wall and looked up to the ceiling.

"Treason," He continued. " James 'tattled' that i was trying to set you free." "Were you?" I asked. He didn't answer.

I sat back and twirled my finger making tiny whirlpools. I stopped suddenly, "Wait, Cleyton," He looked over to me. "You can hear me?" "Yes, why?" I was stunned.

"Because i'm under water!" He quickly tried to stand up. "I forgot. I was only reading your lips!" He sat back down.

The chains didn't allow him to stand. Matthew came down with a couple of food trays. "Looks like neither of you will get to go on an afternoon swim today". Cleyton gave a loathing look to Matthew. "Go away."

Matthew grinned slightly towards Cleyton. "Well i wouldn't want you to starve down here." "Thank you, but we're fine." Cleyton answered. Matthew set one of the food trays down and kicked it to Cleyton.

The trays had the same thing on them, fish and saltwater. Matthew spoke sarcastically to Cleyton, "Sorry. Were doing everything we can to give you both 'equal' treatment. Hope You don't dry out!" He went to leave the room after dumping the contents of the other tray into my tank.

I jumped up and hung over the top of the tank. "Hey you! Come back here!" Matthew stopped mid step. He turned around... and spoke to Cleyton.

"Maybe we'll let the traitor swim later". He continued to laugh and walked away. How could he not hear me? I splashed water angrily on Cleyton. "Hey!"

He wiped his eyes and laughed a little. "Cleyton, You can hear me-" Cleyton interrupted me, "And?" I answered, "And I just yelled at your captain. He didnt even look up at me!" Cleyton looked to the ground.

I continued to rant. "James couldn't hear me, and Matthew, or Jack, or Victor, or" I continued to to try and remember the names of everyone i tried to talk to that didn't seem like they heard me. Cleyton stopped me after the 16th person i named. "Wait, who is Andrew?" I paused. Alexander, i meant Alexander.

"It doesn't matter who. My point is that your the only one who can hear me." I continued to talk as i slipped under the water, "Why can you hear me talk when i'm under water?" He rubbed the corner of his eyes annoyed.

"I cant". I tapped on the glass and continued. "Call the captain back down here." Cleyton gave a quick glance, "Could you come up so i can hear you?" I rolled my eyes.

He thinks hes cute, with his black hair and sparkling blue eyes. I surfaced to humor him. "Call the captain back down here." He gave me a sly look. "I dont know what your trying to prove.

Matthew!" The captain came down a minute later. I yelled at the top of my lungs. The captain didn't even look up. The captain looked at Cleyton as i continued to yell.

"What do you want Cleyton?" Cleyton sighed and tried not to yell over my voice. "Uh.. nothing. I... was just wondering when I would- When we would be released..."

The Captain answered unusually calmly. "When we reach the next continent. That'll be in about 3 weeks or so. You can be off my ship free as a fish," He laughed. "and she will be none of your concern."

I stopped yelling. Cleyton jerked at the chains towards Matthew. "You touch her and ill-" Matthew cut him off and spoke like a parent in a stern voice. "I told you. Its none of your concern." He walked off like nothing was wrong.

Cleyton furiously yelled for Matthew to turn around. I stayed silent in thought. "Cleyton?" I held back tears. He looked up to meet my eyes.

"Hm," "Cleyton please, take me back to my island. I don't want to be property again. Help me get back to Calypso. Please," He clucked his tongue and spoke sympathetically. "I can see it meant alot to you.

It means alot to the both of us. You should get some sleep." Sleep sounds nice. I sho- "Wait, what did you say?" Cleyton looked back down.

"Nothing. Just, I see it means alot to you. I won't let anything happen, we'll talk in the morning." I floated back down to a sitting position and changed to have a tail. It is more comfortable this way.

I leaned up against the glass and hugged my tail. "We'll talk tomorrow" I smiled.

"Just answer me!" Why can't you just tell em now? Why cant anyone but you hear me?" Cleyton rubbed his temples. I could tell he was frustrated, but i was too.

"I know you can hear me." I was standing on my knees using my tail for balance. James walked down to serve food. "Cleyton, is the siren messing with your head?" James asked a little scared.

I didn't take my eyes off of Cleyton. "No. and she isn't a siren. i just- i'm just thinking about something." James looked relieved, "Good. Heres your lunch."

He pulled out a green bottle. "And you look a little thirsty,". "James, stop!" Cleyton yelled. James poured something with big red letters on it that read 'RUM' into my tank.

Cleyton kicked James and the bottle shattered on the floor. "You're no fun. I only wanted to have a little experimentation." I Heard something swishing through the water towards the boat. "Cleyton, what is that?"

CRASH! A huge bang hit the ship and chaos broke. I could hear The sailors scrambling and Matthew barking orders. Another crash hit the ship and the tank knocked over. James fell and scrambled to find the keys that fell off the wall.

I shifted from tail to legs and lifted the water just 2 inches off the floor, that was all i needed to find the keys. James's eyes widened, stunned at what i did. I snached the keys that fell off to the wall and slid over to an impressed Cleyton. I dropped the water and it gushed everywhere. The ship was taking on water fast.

Another wham came to the boat and this time it busted a big hole in the side. I frantically searched for the match to Cleyton's lock. James ran out up the stairs to escape. I finally found the matching key. Cleyton's shackles splashed into the 6 inches of water that had already filled the bottom of the ship.

Cleyton took charge and immediately took my hand to direct us up and out. "Follow me!" We ran up the the stairs and Cleyton helped to the edge of the ship. Something big swished and rammed the ship. "Cleyton! I saw something!"

I was scared. Cleyton looked at me sternly. "I saw it too. We can't get off here! Come on!"

We ran to the other end of the ship. We pushed through the crew members as they jumped from every angle of the ship. "Were going to jump. And when we do, and i mean as soon as we hit the water and shift, head east!" I stared at him with disbelief.

My mind scrambled. "Wait, what? "We" shift? How do you, What do you mean?" He stopped and looked me in my eyes.

It seemed like all chaos ceased. We were the only two people around. Muffled by artificial silence, he spoke. "Im like you," Chaos struck again. The ship was going down.

My last glimpse before Cleyton yelled for us to jump was blood. The crew members being torn from limb to limb. "Follow me!" Cleyton yelled. As soon as we hit the water Cleyton's belt ripped into the sleeve of my shirt and caused a great gash to appear on my arm.

I paced myself ignoring the pain and admired the similarities of our tails. Silvery blue. He looked over to me and pointed to a gigantic shark and quickly bandaged my wound with the ripped fabric. Cleyton took off his shirt. "You need to take off that skirt, and other clothing that might slow you down.

Come on, the island is this way." Cleyton grabbed my uninjured arm and pulled me away.

When we got back to Calypso, we were breathless and i was full of questions. "Why cant humans hear me? (deep breath) Why can they hear you? Why didn't you tell me?!" We both couldn't stop hyperventilating.

Cleyton looked at me breathless and playfully annoyed. We swam up to the drop off and hung there to catch our breath. "I still don't even know your name." I paused stupefied. My name?

"Merliah," (Mer-leigh-uh) He looked at me as I layed half under the water half on the sand resting as i caught my breath. "Merliah," He repeated. "You can call me Cley." I smiled and played with the white sand we rested on. The sun was dark orange as it set.

Cley spoke through the rock of the waves. "How did you get here? To this island I mean." "Shipwreck." He looked curious, so i continued, "I spent most of my life in an aquarium.

A king captured me a while back, then they fell into war. They fled with everything. Clothing, riched, me. Everyone died." I put my head down at the awful memory.

Cley put his hand on my shoulder. "Its alright. You're okay now." I looked up. The shadow over my mind went away.

He looked at me then changed the subject. He began to count on his fingers. "So that explains your speech. Did you practice your ability? Water, rite?"

I nodded. "Wait," He paused. "did you say there are clothes on that ship?" I gave him a puzzled look. "Yes, why dont you just stay like this?

It is more comfortable." I emphasised on the 'is'. "Will you show me where it is?" I rolled my eyes. "Follow me, It's this way."

It was a short swim to the wreckage. Just on the other side of the island was where the ship was broken and falling apart. I was was excited to show Cley around where i stayed. He followed and laughed at how much i talked. "Look!

This is a bed. Its like the one that was on your ship," I lifted the covers and made the water twirl so the blanket would mimic a whirlpool. I looked over to Cleyton, "Can you do this?" I asked. He smiled.

"Not exactly," I swum over to Cleyton and took his hand. I gave him a tour of almost everything. Then we got to the chest full of clothes. Cley tried to lift the chest to shore himself. I laughed at his effort.

He looked over to me, "If you think this is easy why dont you give it a try?" He moved out of my way. I Made a square with my fingers then pushed the water to the chest. It lifted the chest no problem. Cley guided the chest to the beach.

When we finally got it up there, Cley smashed the lock with a stone. The clothes inside were still perfectly dry. He pulled out a shirt and pants then a night gown that looked to tight and long. "This is something you for you if you decide to shift. I will be on the other side of the island getting dressed if you need me." He tossed the gown to me. Cley swam around the island holding the clothes above the water the whole time. He found his way back through the island twenty minutes later.

I waited on the shore still in merform til he got back. I playfully mocked him. "Long walk from one end of the island to the other, huh." He laughed at my comment. I hugged the gown to my chest, still hanging on the drop off, as Cley walked over.

He sat down in front of me and dug the heels of his boots in the sand. It was dark now and the air was cold. I stayed mostly under the water. Only my head and finger tips were exposed to the cold night air. I began to ask my questions again.

"Why can humans hear you, not me?" Cley leaned on his knees and crouched over me. "We originally talk in a higher frequency that humans cant hear." "How do you know?" Cley thought about it for a second, " I was found on this island by my adoptive parents and taken to human civilization when i was eight or nine.

As i grew up i learned that our voice is in a different frequency that their hearing cant pick up. We can hear all frequencies. You speak in a different frequency, you just have to learn to tune your voice." "Why can the humans hear you?" "Because I learned to adjust."

I guess that explanation will do. "Tell me why you came back to Calypso?" The moonlight played off the waves and glared in his eyes. Cley spoke through the silence. "Maybe later.

Its getting late." I nodded. "Ill be in the ship if you need me." I slipped under the waves and curled up under the blanket. I fell asleep as the waves rocked back and forth.

I awoke the next morning to things splashing in the water. I figured it to be Cley trying to get my attention. I don't know why he won't just come down. I swum up eager to hear more about him and to see his tail. When i surfaced my smile went away.

Matthew was there. "I know you know where she is! Now tell me!" Cley argued back, "I dont know, shes probably long gone now to escape the likes of you." I turned around to go back to the ship.

Maybe a sword will help. I stopped. If i get that to Cley it will be obvious that i'm there. A huge splash crashed into the water. I swam over to see what it was.

Cley tackled Matthew into the water. Matthew struggled to breathe, Cley kept dragging him down. Cley took his merform and used all the strength in his tail to slam Matthew against the ocean floor. I swam over and pushed Cleyton back. Matthew blacked out.

"Stop! Your killing him!" Cley looked up at me still mad, then to matthew. He sighed then grabbed Matthew by his shirt. He forced Matthews limp body to shore.

I Rushed over to Matthew's side and listened for a heartbeat. It was faint, I gave him mouth to mouth and repeatedly pressed on his chest. Cley sat over to my right arms crossed as i strained leaning over the drop off to revive Matthew. He pretended like he was ignoring the situation. He looked jealous, even though he had no reason to be.

Matthew came to. He coughed up the water and groaned. I poked him on his cheek. Matthew jerked up to a sitting position, he alarmed me and i shot back away from the shore. Matthew stood up confused and shaking his finger at Cley.

"You! You? Your a, a..." Cley looked at him with deep hatred in his eyes. "You're not staying here.

Leave or there will be nothing or no one to stop you from drowning. Matthew threw his head back and cackled. "Ha! Now it all makes sense! I knew there was something off about you.

Having to go for a swim everyday, and as soon as you hit the water you would disappear for hours." He shook his head, "No wonder its been weirder since she arrived. You just don't know how much easier you've just made my life." Cley reached over and grabbed a set of clothes from the chest. "He already knows."

I said. "Why dont you just stay in merform?" Cley gave a serious look. "Because i want to talk to him man to man."

I stayed up on the sand to make sure that Cley didn't try and kill Matthew or vise versa. Not that Matthew had a chance.Matthew and Cleyton built a fire pit a few feet away from the drop off. Matthew has spent the last twenty minutes trying to make a fire. I waited by the drop off as Cley watched impatiently as Matthew struggled.

I was interested to see fire for the first time. Cley tapped his foot anxiously. Matthew got up to take a break and threw the rocks down. Cley stared intently as the rocks fell, then winked. The pit burst into flames.

I jumped back towards Cley as the fire wooshed to life. I didn't expect it to ignite so quickly. Matthew turned around half surprised, "I knew that would work" he lied. Cley rolled his eyes and shook his head. I reached over to touch the fire but Cley caught my hand.

"Dont,". Matthew turned towards me. "Did you really just try and touch that?" I answered, "Yes. Problem?"

Matthew looked old enough to be Cley's dad. Cley let go of my hand. "Merliah, it's hot. Like the sun, and Mathew cant hear you." Matthew had a stupid look on his face as if he didn't understand.

In his defense he probably couldn't. "What? She didn't say a word. Just mouthed something under her breath." I lifted myself up over the drop off to 'mouth' some more. "Mouthed?!

Read my lips then. I-Hope-You-Sur-vive-The-Night." I turned around and dove back into the water not giving anyone a second to comment.

The sun would be setting in a few minutes and no one has said anything to me since i've been down here. Im laying on a concrete bench with muscles all around it. I've eaten over a dozen by now and i'm saving the shells to doodle on later. I rolled over on my back and looked up through the waves. As i opened another muscle, i saw fire embers floating out and disappearing. I wonder where they disappear to.

I heard some talking but the waves muffled the sound. Every once in a short while I can hear their voices. They have been alone together up there for a while. I wonder whats been going on up there. I surfaced still trying to get the last few pieces of meat off the muscle.

Cley and Matthew were building something. "What is that?" I asked Cley. He looked over to me and smiled. "Hi." He then realized what i asked.

"Oh, its a raft. He is leaving first thing in the morning." He gave a stern look to Matthew, meanwhile Matthew looked at cley like he was insane. "James told me you were talking to yourself. Honestly i didn't want to believe him."

Cley sighed impatiently. I yelled to Matthew, "No, he's talking to me,". Cley pointed to me so matthew would see me and cley reassured me that Matthew couldn't hear me. "Merliah, he can't hear you. What is that?"

He pointed to the muscle shell i was sucking on. "Food." I answered. I cupped my hand to carry water and slowly pulled my fingers towards the center of my hand. A ball of water collected in mid air.

Cley stepped away from an unsuspecting Matthew. I turned my hand in an upright position. Matthew finally looked over. I pushed my hand forward in Matthew's direction and water gushed all over Matthew's chest before he could realize what was happening. Matthew squinted his eyes annoyed and nodded accepting what just happened, still mad about it.

He took a deep breath and exhaled impatiently then wiped his face. Cley contained his laughter. Matthew asked Cley what i said so he could respond 'properly' instead of acting like a 'savage'. "She said she wants to help." I gave an annoyed look to Matthew then Cley.

I swam back down to retrieve the white gown that i modified earlier. I cut the bottom slant ways from the middle of my thigh to where my knee was on the other half. I also cut it in a two piece. I accidentally made the top to short. It only reached the bottom of my belly button.

I used the leftover fabric as a belt to hold up the skirt portion of it. When i came back up, Matthew was in the middle of talking to Cley. "So you can hear her because your part fish too?" Cley crouched down mending the raft.

"The less you know the safer she is." Cley answered. I sat on the sand and shifted. Matthew stared at me as my tail burned into legs. Cley smacked him over his head, "I hope your seeing stars, because if not we can fix that."

I stood up and wobbled trying to find my balance. I stumbled over almost knocking myself into the fire. Then Matthew tripped me. So mature. Cley caught me before i hit the ground.

"Are you okay?" I looked up into Cley's sparkling blue eyes as fire embers reflected in his pupils. "Yes. Matthew tripped me!" I stood up and hit Matthew repeatedly on the chest with my finger.

I tried to yell in his frequency. "Dont you ever, Ever! Do that again. I'm watching you!" Matthew laughed.

"He cant hear you," Cley exhaled patiently while swiping his hands to clap dust off. "She said shes sleeping on the sand tonight to make sure you dont do anything stupid.
 

The author's comments:

Thats the end of Part 1: Deep Sea♫

Later on that night they finished the raft. I went down to get some shells to draw on. I carved tropical flowers inside the shell as Cley watched. He was impressed by the accuracy of my drawings. "Do you want one?"

"Sure," he smiled. I handed it to him and he traced the design with his fingers. I layed my head down. As I stared into the fire i began to fall asleep. Matthew was on the other side of the fire meanwhile Cley and i slept together on the opposite side.

"I'm cold," i whispered to Cley. Cley pulled me close to him. I felt my body tingle as it felt like Cley was warming up. I turned around to face him and snuggled close to his chest. I heard Matthew get up.

He came back with rope and walked to the raft thing. The raft looks like a tiny boat if you ask me. He probably needs to make an adjustment to the raft.

It was still dark in the morning when i heard something dragging in the sand. Cley was still warm. I cuddled closer as the dragging continued. "Cley, are you awake?" "No..." he groaned.

I sat up and watched the sun rise inches up every minute. I looked around, There was a thick fog. "Cley? Where is Matthew?" Cley jerked to a sitting position and looked around.

"The raft is gone, maybe he left." I stood up and walked over to the dead fire. Cley stood up and walked up behind me. He placed his hands on my hips, I crossed my arms and held on to him. We swayed a few times.

I was deep in reverie when I heard a splash in the water. "Did you hear that?" I felt Cley nodd. We stepped away from each other and Cley gently pushed me behind him a little as he walked out towards where the splash came from. I went to go with him and find out what it was but Cley stopped me.

"Wait here." "No i want to come with you," I protested. "No. Just wait here. I don't want anything bad to happen."

I sighed. knowing there was no changing his mind. I watched Cley disappear into the fog. I heard footsteps echo closely to Cley's. "How sweet," I turned around in time to see Matthew club a stone to my head.

I regained consciousness minutes later. I was tied down tightly to the raft. The ropes were cutting into the gash on my arm. I winced at the throbbing pain in my head. I felt like i was in a haze.

Matthew stepped over me and pulled a rope to release the sail. The wind picked up and the raft moved faster. "Cley..." I moaned. I pursed my lips at the splash of salt water on my face. Matthew turned my chin and looked behind my right ear.

He smiled like i was a prize horse. I jerked toward him. He almost fell in the water. I yelled for Cley. I saw his silhouette on the island.

Cley yelled something, but we were too far apart. I couldn't make out what he was saying. Matthew looked to the island, then to me. He quickly tied my mouth, then attached an anchor to a shackle. Cley surfaced at the raft and began to untie me.

I tried to tell him it was a trap but all that came out were mumbles through the handkerchief. "What?" Matthew threw the shackle at Cleys tail and missed. Matthew was trying to capture us both. Cley had one of my arms untied now.

I tried to help him untie my other arm until Matthew shackled Cleys wrist. The anchor slipped from the raft. "No!" Matthew yelled. The last thing Cley said to me before the anchor dragged him down was, "I will find you," "Cley!"

I cried for him, but no matter how many times i screamed for him, i was still in the nightmare of being alone. No one could hear me speak. The first person i've ever seen like me and now he's gone.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 1 comment.


Roiel SILVER said...
on Feb. 9 2016 at 11:02 am
Roiel SILVER, YouMayneverknow, Oklahoma
9 articles 13 photos 12 comments

Favorite Quote:
I believe that you should never feel compelled to explain yourself if you know your telling the truth.

Let me know if you want more. There are four more parts to this book and its on wattpad