The last four years. | Teen Ink

The last four years.

Aubrey stepped out of the cab, tossing her long, wavy, carrot-colored hair out of her face. She adjusted her hat and smoothed her coat. Today was the first time in four years she’d be seeing her family again, and she wanted to show them that the school they sent her to had, in fact, taught her something. That she wasn’t the silly little ten year old lunatic they’d said goodbye to so long ago. She was now a young woman, and like a flower, she’d bloomed from the roots of discipline and refinement. She knew now how important it was to be classy. She knew now why her family had sent her away in the first place.
Aubrey’s family consisted of four people: Her mother, father, younger brother, Elijah, and twin sister, Melanie. They lived in a giant, secluded house in a tiny little town in Minnesota. They were a happy family, and very lucky, Aubrey knew. Sometimes, when her parents were away on business, and they had to be watched by a nanny, she and her sister would run throughout the flower gardens, pretending to be princesses or fairies. They would find a little dwelling between some rose bushes, and pretend to be hiding from a terrible dragon. Or they would braid each others hair and play with dolls. That was one of the things Aubrey missed most about this place. Her twin sister. Aubrey’s thoughts turned to her sister, and she wondered how much Melanie had changed throughout the last four years. Melanie had taken her departure very badly, and although Aubrey missed her too, she knew that contact with her sister would only distract her from her studies. Now she knew that it would have, and she’d be the same foolish child they had despised.
What if they don’t like what they see? Aubrey suddenly wondered. What if I screw something up? Will they just send me back to the academy for the rest of my life?
She pushed the thought from her mind as the cab driver retrieved her suitcase from the trunk of the car, set in gently on the pavement by Aubrey’s feet, and then got in  the cab and sped away. That left Aubrey alone in the snowstorm, staring at the massive gates in front of her, and even more so, at the towering house beyond them. Christmas Eve was only 3 days away, and that meant all of her relatives were there. She stood up taller and fixed the buttons on her coat. She took a deep breath, building up her confidence. She wasn’t a girl, she reminded herself, and it was only meeting her family. She shouldn’t be afraid.  With one last attempt to assure herself, she picked up her suitcase and started her way up the walkway. The snow crunched and groaned unpleasantly under her boots as she walked. With a mighty push, she cast the gates out of her way. Loud creaking rang through the air as the gates opened slowly in front of her, resting at a stop when they could open no further. The snow seemed to fall harder as Aubrey once again glanced at her home.
Here goes nothing. She thought as she slowly started her way up the long walk. With each step, the house seemed to get further and further, the snow seeming to blur everything, making the house and brush and trees look clouded. She felt uneasy, and the variety of things that could go wrong once again ran through her head. So much for trying to be a grown up and have confidence. The wind blew snow into her face, stinging her nose and cheeks. She kept her head down in attempt to shield her eyes with her hat and kept walking. She eventually reached the steps, and the grandeur of the house looked as vibrant as ever. But something was odd. It was quiet.
She pushed the feeling of uncertainty to the back of her mind, and began to climb the steps, and with each one tried to inspire herself.
You can do this.
It’s just your family.
They love you.
They won’t judge you.
Breathe.
She reached the door, took a breath, puffed out her chest, and  knocked. The brass handle tapped the door three times before she dropped it. She waited patiently for a moment before the door swung open, revealing a tiny old woman who looked like nothing more than a wisp. She had beady black eyes and a pointy, crow-like nose. She had puffy, long white hair and was so thin she looked like she could break easily. She gazed upon Aubrey, and Aubrey could sense confusion and distaste on her face. Aubrey was confused, too. Who was this lady? Was she a new servant her parents had hired?
The old woman cleared her throat, a noise that frightened Aubrey. She spoke quietly, but firmly.
“May I help you?”
Aubrey forced the words out of herself. “Yes, my name is Aubrey Kienbatcher. My family lives here….”
The woman stared blankly at Aubrey. “I believe you’re confused, dear. I’ve lived here by myself for the last four years.”
The words struck Aubrey like lightening. She didn’t believe what she was hearing. For the last four years? Then where was her family? They wouldn’t just move without telling her where, would they?
The old woman seemed to read her mind. She looked Aubrey right in the eyes and asked, “Did your parents happen to be Rick and Alexis Kienbatcher?”
“Yes!” Aubrey said, relieved that maybe someone knew where her family was.
“And did you happen to have siblings? A boy and a girl?’
Her happy mood dropped, followed by nervousness and suspicion. “Yeah, why? Do you know where they went?”
The old woman dropped her head and shook it. Aubrey thought she heard her say, “Poor souls,” and she sensed a hint of smile on her lips, but it disappeared as she looked back at Aubrey. The two stood in the cold looking at each other. The woman just stared, emotionless, while Aubrey stood, itching in her boots, waiting eagerly for answers. She could bare it no longer.
“Well? Do you know where my family is?”
The woman pursed her lips, and inhaled a deep breath. Then she said, “I’m so terribly sorry you had to hear this from me, but four years ago, your family was murdered.” 
Aubrey didn’t know if she’d heard the woman right. “W-What?”
“Your family was murdered four years ago. Someone broke into the house and murdered your parents and siblings.”
The pain came too fast for Aubrey to comprehend. She felt so many emotions flowing through her veins at once. Sadness, because the happy reunion she’d imagined would never happen, and she’d never see her mother’s face or hear her father’s laugh ever again. Anger, because for the last four years she’d been an orphan without knowing it. No, she’d been in California, living it up with friends, and the police and the academy never bothered to tell her. Fright, because she had no idea what she was going to do.
The old woman spoke. “You can come in, if you’d like. I can tell you more if you want to hear it.”
For some reason, Aubrey wanted to hear every detail. It was her family who had their lives taken when she was safe, hundreds of miles away from home. She wanted to know everything, to hold on to her family’s legacy. The last story she’d ever hear of them. She nodded, and the old woman turned and led Aubrey into the house. Aubrey followed along solemnly, looking at the home she once knew and loved in an entirely different way. Despite being lived in by someone completely different for the last four years, the house almost looked untouched. The same furniture was in the same spot it had sitting in four years ago. Pictures still hung on the wall, and a feeling like a knife plunging into her gut came over Aubrey as she gazed at them. Her parents’ wedding photo, a picture of Elijah on his first day of school- then the last one. Aubrey came to a halt and stared at it, remembering everything. The photo was of Aubrey and Melanie on the day Aubrey had left for the academy. They were sitting, side by side, on the limb of an old tree, deep in conversation. Melanie had tears building up in her eyes, and Aubrey had sat there, saying nothing as her sister broke down. The picture had been taken without them even knowing, by their mother as she stood on the porch.
That was the last conversation I ever had with Melanie. Aubrey thought. She suddenly felt very weak, and the urge to be strong and not show her emotions in front of a total stranger melted away. Before she knew it, tears spilled down her cheeks and refused to let up. She started shaking and choked down a sob. She hugged her arms to herself and tried to calm down, tucking her emotions away.
“Are you coming?” The woman called from the living room.
Aubrey quickly brushed the tears from her face and started rubbing her eyes. “Yeah, I just needed a minute.”
“Well, don’t keep me waiting for long. I have quite the story for you.”
With another look at the photographs, Aubrey tore herself away and went down the hallway to the living room. The lady sat patiently and tightly in her father’s armchairs, one leg crossed primly over the other. Her lips pressed into a thin line as she gazed out the window. Aubrey sat across from her, feeling small and anxious as she awaited the woman to begin the story. She studied the room and thought back to all the memories she had created with her family in here. Then her eye caught a peculiar change to the room. Her family’s portrait hung boldly and proudly above the fireplace mantle, replacing the abstract painting of a peacock her mother had placed there. It looked well dusted and taken care of. Her family looked very light hearted and happy. Her mother wore a silky white dress. Her hair was curled, and sat on her shoulders, feathery and light. Her father wore jeans and a white dress shirt. Aubrey and Melanie were matching, with baby pink dresses, and Elijah had on a navy blue onesie. They were standing in the yard, in front of their favorite oak tree. Aubrey stood and went up to the painting, touching the faces in desperate attempt to trigger more memories.
“I see that has captured your attention,” the old woman said, standing beside Aubrey. “Such a beautiful family. When I moved in, I couldn’t stop looking at it.”
“Do you have any children?” Aubrey asked.
“I have had many children over time. Sadly, they all died tragically. I have a daughter currently, but...she is to go soon.”
“I’m sorry,” Aubrey said, regretting that she’d asked.
“Please don’t be. I love speaking of them. Anyway, would you like to hear your family’s legacy?”
“Absolutely.” Aubrey and the old woman made their way back to their seats. The old woman sat across from Aubrey, her stare as hard as stone. Aubrey forced herself to keep eye contact. She waited patiently for the woman to start.
“I will only tell you what I have heard,” the woman began, “Because no one knows exactly what happened that day. Alright?”
Aubrey nodded, and the woman sat back in her seat.
“It was a cold and windy friday. Everybody was in the kitchen. Someone broke through the bedroom window.” She paused. “They were all murdered with a chainsaw.”
Aubrey sat silently.
“I know there’s not much, and it’s a bit to take in. But it's the truth.”
Aubrey didn’t know how the truth could hurt more than this. Her thoughts wandered to what she was going to do. Her family was gone, and this strange lady had taken her home. Life for her was never going to be the same. But Aubrey knew that she could take it on.