True Spirit | Teen Ink

True Spirit

By Annilyiah, Spring, Texas
Annilyiah, Spring, Texas

Pain Is Weakness Leaving The Body.

I stood close to Oceleez latching my arm around his; its weird how he makes me feel so safe. I watched the limo pull up and the driver open my grandfather’s door, everyone rushed to his side, but I stayed at the top of he stairs and grabbed my left arm with my right hand as I always did as a little girl.
He looked up to me with pleading eyes and I smiled weakly, “Hey Pops,” I smiled weakly as a tear fell from my cheek.
He smiled at the old nickname I gave him when he was alive, “Girl you know you’re the only one for me.” I slowly made my way down the steps toward him and then sped into his arms. His boa- like arms squeezed me tight as I heard him whisper a thank you.
I pulled away and looked at him making sure it was truly real, “You’re really here. Oh Pawpa how I’ve missed you so much I was so lost after you left me. I did horrible things to myself and others, mostly mom, but I just didn’t know how to let my anger out. I never want you to go anywhere.”
Oceleez held his hand out for my grandfather to shake, “Hello Alpha Mohegan, I am Oceleez your head of guards and daughter’s gua…”
I snapped at Oceleez, “You call yourself my guardian I say my best friend.”
I heard my grandfather chuckle at my comment, “Still the same little girl I remember, just even more beautiful. Now Anni if you please let Serina talk freely.”
I nodded my head in obedience and soon my eyes became Serina’s pale, crystal blue eyes and her voice came out soft, “You called Father?”
“Yeah I wanted you both to receive this present from Alpha Rosenberg’s son,” he handed us the diamond necklace and our jaw hit the ground; I heard a growl erupt from Oceleez’s chest. What followed this growl were the intense stares and nods that went on between my grandfather and Oceleez, Pops must’ve blocked the pack’s mind link so no one could hear their conversation.
I did the only thing I knew how to do, “Hello? Anyone in there?” I said as I waved my hand in front of Oceleez’s face, “You said we were going to show him the aboveground palace.”
“Yeah sure in an hour or two, I think the Alpha wants to spend time with his family,” Oceleez said, my grandfather nodding to him in an appreciative way.
I couldn’t help but feel saddened by this remark, so I walked to the tree that lined the very end of the pack’s territory to a place I found to be very calming. The Alpha that controlled the other side was always aware of me being there and sometimes sat on the other side of the tree and we’d talk for hours on end.
“Hey Serina, what are you doing over here?” Oceleez asked, he sat next to me and put an arm over my shoulder. If only he knew that those simple touches drove me insanely in love with him.
I know it’s insane to think like this especially since I haven’t gotten my full wolf powers, therefore I can’t sense my mate yet, but I have this pull to Oceleez that makes me want to be near him more and more everyday.
“I was just thinking about how long it’s been since I’ve seen him and now that I have, it feels like I have nothing to look forward to anymore. I want to feel wanted, correction, I NEED to feel wanted, there’s no air in the palace,” I said dramatically, throwing my hands up in the air.
Oceleez looked at me with a grin, “What are you smiling about?” I was getting agitated, yet I couldn’t help but let out a small giggle in between words.
“I was just thinking that you have a butterfly in your hair and it hasn’t moved for the whole time I’ve been here,” he laughed hysterically, reaching his hand out to the butterfly. It flew onto his finger and placed it in my hand, “You will always be wanted, by everyon…”
“Don’t say it! I don’t need to hear that! You think I don’t know that I am responsible for everyone in these walls and all wolves around the globe! I just can’t deal with all this put on me… it’s too hard on me alone. I just want to find my mate so he can help me through this, if he’s as strong as the prophecy says he will be my only reason to live,”
I calmed down a bit and softly added, leaning into this burley figure next to me, “I wish he could find me and take me away from this.”
He brought his face just inches from mine, “As I was saying… there will never be anyone who wants you more than I do right now.” With those words I just couldn’t help myself, I grasped the back of his neck and pulled him into a kiss that felt more than right, it felt perfect.
“Serina you have to know I love you, I have since the very first day, if only you saw it too,” he said breathlessly. I looked up to him in confusion, “I have always felt that you weren’t going to accept my feeling for you just because I was the deity or princess or Alpha Female.”
For a few more minutes we just made out and enjoyed each other’s company, then we were ripped apart and Oceleez was knocked out. Someone had put a cloth bag over my face and picked me up, for some reason I couldn’t scream, I couldn’t even shift! Then everything went black.
I woke up in a small room with concrete walls, a steel door, and someone sitting in the corner. “Hello princess, welcome to your personal hell,” the deep voice said, while golden eyes peered from the darkness of the rest of the room.
“W-Who are you? What do y-you want from me?” I asked my heart pounding rapidly, my voice raspy from its dryness.
Lights flickered on and I saw my capture, “My name is Luke, I am king of the Phoenix Wings tribe, my question is, do you know who you are?”
My face was teeming with confusion, “Of course I know who I am! I am Serina Charice Mohegan, Princess of the Blue Crescent Moon, deity of werewo…”
“That’s where you lose me, you’re not just the deity of werewolves but all shifters, I can’t believe no one ever told you,” Luke stood in front of me now, his golden eyes still glowing with intensity.
“I can’t be its not possible… is it?” I couldn’t believe my ears, and now I’m slightly confused, “If I’m your deity then why have you bonded my wrists?” Luke laughed boldly, walking closer to me with great intimidation. I didn’t show him my fear instead I just held my chin high as I was taught to and even when I was fearful I held a smirk on my face.

“Because I didn’t want you to use your powers on me,” Luke stated simply, he thought I was mated! “Sir please your sadly mistaken I am not mated, I haven’t even found my mate,” I pleaded, wondering how he got the idea.

“Well then, sorry for the mix up but one thing bothers me, I thought it was against regulation for a princess to date warriors,” he chuckled, “I thought that it wasn’t allowed, how you could even be sad on the day you finally saw your grandfat- I mean father again.”

I shook my head confused,” How do you know the regulations? How do you know about my grandfather?” I paused, “Who are you truly?”

I woke up at the gates of the palace, my hands were bound together and my ankles had silver shackles on them, stupid hunters I thought they would realize that we werewolves started that dirty rumor, I laughed and ripped the rope that bound my hands. I looked up to see the guard standing at his post.

“Hello? Could you not see that I was in trouble?” I stayed quiet waiting for a response,” I am Oceleez I am your supervisor and captain over all of the guards and I command you to answer me!” My tone became very demanding almost like the way an alpha’s tone would be, in a way I am since I’m Serina’s mate.

He looked down at me and smiled, “You don’t know do you?” My head cocked to the side in curiosity, “There isn’t a single pure blood werewolf in the world now, and because you were associated with them you have been banished and therefore resigned as the captain, there has been a war waged against survivors and us. All thanks to your mate who so happens to be mated to the king of our kind your father, King Lucas Pyro.” The guard laughed a hearty laugh as I was taken into a cloud of smoke.

Again I woke up, but this time I was in the infirmary in the palace, “Hello?” I asked, my voice sounding dry and gravely.

“Hey how are you doing? Did you have a nice rest?” Selina asked in a cheery voice. “Where’s Serina? Did she make it out safe?” I asked hesitantly, knowing that if she hadn’t she was in grave danger.

Selina’s face softened her eyes saddening at the name, “She was taken, we don’t know who or why they took her, all we know is he is well equipped and has a lot of intel from the inside of the palace walls.”

“IMPOSSIBLE!” I am the only one to talk to outsiders I have given interrogations to all of my guards and soldiers and have even went a step further by having Serina go through all of their memories and mine, there is no way they can do this!” I exclaimed getting off my bed and pacing back and forth in the walk way, I watched as a single tear slid down her cheek, “We will get her back and I believe I know who took her, the only person I know who has more agile footsteps than that of even the Tutanami lionesses…. My father.”

With that I walked out and into the King’s office, “I wish to make alliance with the lionesses if you would allow me, they will help us find and fight for Seri-“ I stopped there in the middle of the office was the male of the Tutanami pride talking with the Alpha.

“Come Oceleez, we were just discussing that,” King Simolyn said gesturing his hand to a seat next to the lion, “This is Sir Mane the King of our neighboring savannah, he learned of Serina’s capture and wants to help.”

He stood and I followed, “Pleased to meet you, now I ask, why would you help Serina? She has no relation to you…” “Correction, just as she is your diety to your Luna, she is ours to our Seriphyna the goddess of the wet season,” he explained, “She is diety of all shifters and even vampires, for them she is their diety or Nynx, the goddess of darkness. All of our Gods and Goddesses are brothers and sisters, they all created creatures in their image of perfection, but these wars that have separated us have gone too far. Serina will be the last hope for all of the Gods and Goddesses to bring their creatures together before destruction. She needs to be here or the chances of finding all of her mates will be slim, she is the last Warrior Princess.”
By the middle of his speech I had sat down, but when he said ‘all of her mates’ it hit me like a brick wall, “How many mates will she have?” my question came out in a whisper.

“It depends on how many of them she falls in love with, she will be challenged greatly by all of them. She will have to limit herself to four mates though the others will either have to forfeit or lose her in a dominance battle,”

The news hit me like a lighting bolt, “So there are others besides me? How can I be sure to win her?”

“Being a mate of Serina cannot be a title won but earned, if you show her the most compassion than any other male she will feel smothered, if you show too little she will lose all hope of choosing you and seeing as you already have a head start with the kiss and being her best friend and all,” he snickered lightly when he said we shared a kiss.

“How do you know about that?” a growl erupted from my chest, “We were alone.”

“Her thoughts weren’t blocked and everyone could hear both of you commenting on how much you both loved each other and how long you have waited for this, but she said something different…” he trailed off.

“What? What did she say?” I asked hesitantly my wolf alerted and awake.

“She said goodbye, and then she was taken.” He grew silent, and I fell to my knees, “She also said it was the only way to protect everyone, she also tried to send a message to you but it was cut off… she said we shall meet again and soon everything will be better and that’s when she was cut off.”

My heart fell at the farewell but at the same time was lifted with the hope of finding her, Oceleez is that you? A sweet voice spoke to me, Serina? My dear Serina where has my father taken you?

She sighed, I’m not really sure but I have to go now he’s coming.

No! I roared let me speak to him please I need him to understand something.

I don’t know will it work? I have only done it once before and it hurt you, she was unsure but she never gave up on a spell.

Instantly my spirit was taken from my body and where she was astonished me. I saw my dad and I saw the cellar he threw me in as a kid whenever I displeased him, “Father, why do you have her here? Why is she where I was ten years ago?

Did she displease you as I did? Please let her go she is our deity of Solcusae, isn’t she, she has these powers that can she can walk through peoples dreams, and manipulate everything around her.

The most amazing of her powers, she doesn’t even know she possesses… she can turn a terrible man into a man that would kill those who harm her. As Alpha Warrior of the Black Willow I demand you to release your alpha female out of you custody or there will be war, no one beside you but those who left with you.”

“Son, you are brave and strong but you cannot run a pack without being there, if you didn’t want the responsibilities just tell me! Don’t throw it away like a rabbits’ bloody carcass! How dare you claim her as yours when you’re damn well sure she has many more than you!” His voice carried and amplified, I turned towards Serina with saddened eyes.

“I will not give up fighting for her no matter if it takes the last breath I breathe. Not if the world crumbles down on top of us I WILL SAVE HER!” with that I gave Serina the signal to send me back, but before she did I couldn’t help smell something enticing, Our mate’s in heat, my wolf howled.

“Serina? Serina where are you?” My voice became frantic, , the sun was falling fast and my world was turning upside down. What have we done wrong to deserve this? My wolf howled in pain for her loss, I just wanted her for one measly day but for some reason Luna wouldn’t allow it.

“King Simolyn, Oceleez knows who took her, he is speaking with him right now, but you cannot disturb him right now. He is being projected through Serina, he is in his spirit form right now, he will die if you disturb the peace,” the second-in- command wolf told me, he was the one that would take Oceleez’s place if he had any reason not to fulfill his duties or was away for the time being.

“That is fine, ask him when he’s finished to meet me in Serina’s room,” I thought about this moment since I knew what she was, “I need to speak to him.”

The growl that erupted from my chest made the soldier jump, “Right away sir.” I chuckled at his submissiveness, there was no way I could stop this conversation from happening now… especially since he’s one of her mates.

Half an hour passed and I had walked to the warriors quarters where I was told he was speaking, but when my foot came close to the door it sounded as if there was an angry hybrid alpha in the room. My hand barely pushed on the door and it flew open, there he stood, Oceleez the son of Lucas Willow. The son of Pyro himself, he had been only introduced to his wolf when I reality he could be the strongest warlock out there, he could rearranged the globe with a single twitch.

“Oceleez! Please calm down I have to talk to you so we can save Serina…” a growl escaped him as he calmed down and shifted back into his human state.

He collapsed at my feet and let out a whimper, “I tried. I have failed you sir. I have failed my mate. My father has control of my armies and with Serina there will be no mercy, they will use her and then they will kill her. Or worse…”

“You haven’t failed me son, in fact you have given me hope. I want you to listen to everything I have to say and listen close because if you don’t there won’t be a single understood word,” I kneeled beside him and spoke softly, the fear of something worse than death as he had said, “What is worse than death?”

His eyes portrayed a deep sorrowful black that said it all, “Sir, she’s in heat, there are many unmated males in that territory, there’s a possibility she might be mated to one of them. Oh why is it that I have to share the one I love?”

“The prophecy said-“

“I know what the prophecy said!! I know I don’t need a reminder, there are things about me that you don’t know…” he spoke softly out of breath from yelling.

“I know more than you think. I know you are the Alpha of the Phoenix Wings. I know you are son of Lucas Willow. I know how you got that scar on your hand that you keep wrapped up all the time. I just don’t understand one thing, how could you love your enemy? Let alone train and fight with them against your own kind?”

He paused at the mention of his title, but his whole body froze at my mentioning of his scar. “I love the part of me that isn’t evil, the part that is easy to control. The feeling of freedom and togetherness is something I have never had. When I trained in that camp I used none of my ‘extra’ abilities, I just used my wolf and learned from every step I took.”

He paused again, “You guys gave me a family, and my family gave me darkness. My own family made me feel lost and I could never go back. The moment I realized I needed to leave was when I saw the sign up sheet for the camp, when I got out the only person there for me was your daughter. She brought me out of the darkness that ate at my soul, I want to bring her back here safely before anyone gets to her, and because she is my heaven and I WILL NOT LOSE HER!”