In a Timely Manner | Teen Ink

In a Timely Manner

While my original setting is during the Victorian era this play can be performed and interpreted for many different eras. As well the characters can be played by actors of any gender.

(The act starts with the stage pitch black. A grandfather-clock rings loudly. In between each ring there is the sound of a knife being sharpened. The clock rings six times, a sharpen is heard in between them. After the final sharpening a double door upstage right is opened quickly. The light behind the door is white, silhouetting the BUTLER standing in front of the light. Simultaneously the light behind the butler and the lights on stage fades in and softens. The lighting embulates that of a gas lit chandelier. On stage is a victorian parlor. In this particular production the color scheme is navy and red with brown wooden accents. There are two couches surrounding a coffee table which is littered with fruit and wine. The stage left wall has an unlit fireplace with a painting of a young CLAUDE with his parents, they are frowning in the portrait. Besides the double door, the upstage wall is empty and painted navy. The stage right wall is empty. There is no grandfather clock on stage. There are multiple side tables littering the room. Sitting on the coffee table facing the audience sharpening the knife is CLAUDE, an unstable yet sassy pessimist. He is a young man with gothic features and fashion. His messy black hair matches his messy black eye makeup. He is wearing a navy vest that matches his pants over a puffy long sleeve.) 

BUTLER

Lord Tanant is here sir, shall I send him in?

CLAUDE

He’s here already?

He stands and looks at the knife in his hand

I thought I had more time.

BUTLER

I apologize sir. Did you not hear the clock?

CLAUDE

I’m afraid not...Does not matter, send in Lord Tanant.

The BUTLER leaves and closes the door. The lights fade to blue.

CLAUDE

It's strange isn’t it? How bright a sharp knife can shine. One would think a weapon of such tragedy would not be blessed with similarity to the stars. But I suppose it's fitting, tragedies by this weapon are always unearthly. The sadness by this blade; unearthly. The love shared with this blade; unearthly. 

He pauses, breathless.

If only there was enough time to tell him-

The double doors burst open. CLAUDE jumps and staggers back in surprise. The knife slips from his hand and clatters to the ground.

BUTLER

Presenting, Lord Tarant!

The BUTLER steps to the side and TAN, enters onto the stage. Tan is a young man with a calming and poetic manner clad in classic victorian clothes that in this production are brown and gold. He appears with a smile on his face.

CLAUDE

To the BUTLER

Leave us!

The BUTLER closes the door. Leaving TAN and CLAUDE alone. TAN makes his way over to the couch where CLAUDE is lingering.

TAN

The weather is wonderful today. We really ought to have this meeting outside.

CLAUDE

I would rather not have flies in my fruit and drink. 

CLAUDE takes a seat on the couch facing the audience

TAN

Of course. How could I forget your intolerance to the sun?

CLAUDE groans and rolls his eyes. TAN chuckles as he takes a seat next to CLAUDE. 

Oh, don’t be like that.

TAN tries to put his hand on CLAUDE'S leg. For a moment CLAUDE accepts the gesture but he quickly jumps up from the couch. TAN looks confused.

Claude, are you alright?

The lights dim to dark blue. There is a spotlight on CLAUDE.

CLAUDE

So innocent is he who loves. How blind I’ve been in his shadow and now that I see my eyes burn with the fury of the sun. 

TAN starts to make his way towards CLAUDE, silently

Dejected

And for what? Hidden meetings in the parlor. A stolen glance at the opera. I haven’t been living until now. If only there was enough time to tell him-

TAN

Claude!

CLAUDE is startled out of his monologue and the lights return to normal and the spotlight fades. TAN puts his hands on CLAUDE’S shoulders. CLAUDE fights to get away from the grip. 

Look at me! Please, tell me what is wrong? Are you ill?

TAN reaches for CLAUDE'S forehead.

CLAUDE

DON’T TOUCH ME!

CLAUDE wrenches from TAN’S grip.

TAN

So accepting of my touch you usually are. Tell me, have I done something wrong?

CLAUDE

Sadly

How could you have done something wrong? You are never less than perfect.

TAN

Then tell me. TELL ME! What is it that ails you?

TAN again puts his hands on CLAUDE’S shoulder.

What are you not telling me?

CLAUDE looks at TAN silently.

Do you not trust me?

CLAUDE

Don’t even think that. It is not you that I mistrust. 

TAN

Then what is it that brings this secrecy?

CLAUDE is silent for a moment

CLAUDE

I guess it’s - I guess it is the mistrust of myself.

TAN

What? 

CLAUDE

A mistrust in my...feelings.

He removes himself from TAN’S grasp and walks over to the fireplace.

TAN

Your feelings? Feelings for what?

TAN takes a step forward and kicks the knife.

What on earth is this doing on the floor?

CLAUDE

I- It must have fallen off the tray when the butler brought in the fruit.

TAN

Your butler is never so careless as to drop a knife. Let alone leave it on the floor.

TAN cocks his head. He has connected something.

Claude, what were you going to do with this knife?

CLAUDE is silent.

Claude, what were you going to do with this knife!

CLAUDE

So untrustworthy my feelings have been of late. I’m afraid to say that I have been planning something rather tragic.

TAN

And what tragedy did you plan? With only a glistening knife.

CLAUDE

Give me the knife Tan.

CLAUDE lunges at TAN with a shout. The lights go black. The grandfather clock starts to ring. It rings nine times and the struggles of TAN and CLAUDE can be heard in between the rings. Only a spotlight comes up on TAN and CLAUDE. TAN is on top of CLAUDE, the dagger is in both his hands and he points it at CLAUDE’S neck. CLAUDE his calm with the hands at his sides.

CLAUDE

Is it nine o’clock already? 

TAN

Don’t try to change the subject. What were you going to do with this knife!?

CLAUDE starts to laugh, he is becoming unhinged. He lays his hands over TAN’s and tries to push the knife into himself despite TAN fighting back.

CLAUDE

What does it look like I’m going to do!

TAN

Struggling against CLAUDE

NO! NO! 

They scuffle. TAN ends up falling off of CLAUDE. CLAUDE grabs the knife he runs near the double doors, out of TAN’S reach. There is a spotlight on each of them.

CLAUDE

Give me a reason! Please tell me what I need to hear! 

TAN

What do you want to hear? Please Claude there is no need for this!

CLAUDE

YOU KNOW WHAT YOU NEED TO SAY. WHAT I NEED TO HEAR. WHAT HAS BEEN BETWEEN US FOR THE PAST DECADE. 

The lights fade up to blue but there is still a spotlight on both of them. TAN’S face suggests understanding. 

TAN

Is this what has caused your insanity? Our...relationship. I’m so sorry my dear fri-. I’m so sorry my dear.  

CLAUDE

Is that all you have to say? A half-assed apology?

TAN

Exasperated 

No. Claude, please just come here. Please. 

CLAUDE weighs his options. TAN looks desperate, his clothes and hair are disheveled.  

Please darling. There is no need for this.

CLAUDE, knife still in hand, goes over to TAN. They are in the middle of downstage.

CLAUDE

Ashamed

I- I’m so sorry Tan. I-

TAN

Shh. It's right darling. 

They kiss. 

I love you. 

CLAUDE turns towards the audience, knife still in hand. He’s smiling. He starts to laugh. With a gasp he raises the Knife, ready to strike himself.

TAN

NO!

The lights go black and the clock starts to chime as TAN lunges at CLAUDE. It chimes twelve times and in between the audience can hear the two scuffle. After the final chime a spotlight goes up on the middle of the stage. TAN is holding CLAUDE in the pieta pose. CLAUDE is weeping.

CLAUDE

I’m sorry Tan. I’m so sorry. If only we had more time to be together.

TAN

Shh. My dear we always had enough time. But it would never be the right time. 

CLAUDE continues to apologize and weep. As the spotlight fades TAN slumps forward, revealing the knife in his back. The lights go black and the act ends.