Let It Be Forgotten | Teen Ink

Let It Be Forgotten

Author's note:

Growing up, and living only twenty minutes away from NYC, I have been fascinated with the stage way before my first writing class. The energy and spark that people reflected, whilst performing, was immediately absorbed by the small my small 4 year old eyes. Now at 19 years of age, I have written countless stories and poems, and utilized my storytelling skills for my first play “Let it be Forgotten”. With my new skills of playwriting, I hopes to continue to inspire and motivate others through her storytelling.

“Let It Be Forgotten” is a short play, set in 19th century Germany. However, it’s a depicting story, and scenario, that can be applied to the 21st century as well. It’s a subject that was meant to stay hidden, and never spoken about. No matter the immense love and passion one feels for one another, they couldn’t escape the inevitable separation between the social classes. Madaline, the servant girl who fell in love with the lord (Master) of the house, and Master, the irresponsible cheater, who had an intimate relationship with his servant. Once little Mila was conceived, Madeline knew in her heart that it was best to runaway. This is where our story begins. 

My piece will fit well for your publication site because of the important message that it brings to the audience. Throughout my Creative Writing class I’ve had numerous experiences with storytelling through poetry, fiction, as well as presentation. One of my favorite parts about writing is telling stories, especially ones that involve hidden meanings, and vital subjects. I myself perform on stage, dancing, and I can tell that the audience attends the theater or any performance to escape, and be transported to a different world. With this short play, I hope I accomplished just that. 

Let It Be Forgotten

Cast of Characters:

Madeline: This our main protagonist of the play. Madaline is an eighteen year old servant girl, working at a mansion in Germany. She has blonde curly hair, that’s almost always in her face, and has greenish hazel eyes. She loves all animals, mainly cats. Her main duties include washing the dishes, cleaning and replacing the sheets, managing the fireplace, and watching the children when the nanny is unable to. Her parents sent her off to work here when she was very young, so she can create a better life for herself. Madaline’s best friend is a butler boy named Leon. Since their meeting, they’ve never been apart. 

Leon: Although he is very much in love with Madaline, he thinks very selfishly and isn’t very concerned with her happiness. He has also been working at the mansion since he was a little boy, as an apprentice and is currently one of the butlers. Leon was already living in the mansion when Madaline arrived, and has been in love with her ever since. Leon can be described as a tall and lanky boy, with straight brown hair and blue eyes. 

Master: The Master is the head of the household, or the lord. He has five children.  Martha is his wife, the lady of the house. The Master can be characterized as very calm, and keeping a very straight face through anything. He loves his children very dearly, but rarely visits them. He's quite tall and has dark hair, and is medium size.

Martha: Although she may seem powerless, being the wife of the Master. Martha proves herself to have much more power, and brain than one might think. She is a beautiful dutches, that controls and knows everything at the palace. Her shiny brown hair, and perfect skin represents the true elegance of the higher middle class at the end of the 19th century. 

Angica: The simple nanny, with a panicked attitude when something begins to go wrong. She is a larger woman, with a white shawl always wrapped around her head. 

MADELINE:

(Pacing back and forth around the room[CR-CL]). What do I do Leon? I can’t stay here any longer!

LEON:

(Stops Madaline’s pacing at C by putting his hands on her shoulder) Where would you go then? Back home, where there is nothing left for you?

MADELINE:

What choice do I have? It kills me everyday to see her being raised by strangers! (Looking towards CL reflectively)

LEON:

(Rolls his eyes) What strangers?! Her father will be here! 

MADELINE: 

Her father barely visits the rest of his children! What makes you think he’ll pay any attention to h---- (panting and begins to cry) I’m her mother!

LEON:

Yes, but he is her father, and he’s wealthy.

MADELINE:

(Nodding) And I’m only a servant girl. 

MADELINE:

You care so much for me, Leon! I’m the stupid and irresponsible one here! I’m the one who fell stupidly in love with my boss, and bore his bastard child. (places hand over arm) This child must now grow up under a roof that’s only half hers. She’ll be walking down these halls knowing and feeling she doesn't belong, and it will all be my fault (tears begin to fill her eyes)...All because I failed to admit my secret. All because I fell in love with my boss, the lord of this household. Oh, how humiliating it will be for her, to have a mother for a servant. But I love 

her Leon. I’ve never loved anything more than this little being (looks towards the crib [UC]) in my entire life, and knowing that I can’t just let her go, even if you want me to, even if he wants me to. 

LEON:

But it’s clear that it will be best for both of you if you stay. 

MADELINE:

(Looks down at her dirty shoes)

LEON: 

At least you’ll be able to watch her grow into a woman as lovely as you.

MADELINE: 

Oh Leon. (Hug). My dearest friend, and I know how much pain you will have me go .

MADELINE:

You always know what to say, and the right thing to do. What will I ever do without you?

LEON:

You’ll be running around like a toddler, not knowing right from wrong.  

BOTH: 

(Laughing) 

(Both look into each other’s eyes [C])

LEON:

(Reaches in for a kiss)

MADELINE:

(Moves away, with an apologetic look in her eyes, facing CL)

LEON:

(Turns away from Madeline, body completely in front of the audience [C]) I thought you wanted this, (turns back to her with tears in his eyes) that there was a part of you that wasn’t just staying here for her (points to the baby sleeping in the crib[UC]). But I now know the truth about you, you don’t care about us at all. 

MADELINE: 

(Moves closer to Leon and grabs his hand[C]) Oh you know that’s not true! You’re my dearest friend...I don’t want to hurt y---

LEON:

Oh save it Madeline! 

{LONG PAUSE}

LEON:

(Begins to walk away[CR])

MADELINE: 

But I just can’t go be your wife.

LEON:

[Nods] He doesn’t love you know? He won’t leave his wife for you.

MADELINE:

I know that. 

LEON:

But you won’t leave anyway (exclaims a whispered laugh)

(Leaves the stage completely by walking out the door of the bedroom [UR])

{END OF ACT 1}

{ACT 2}

The master and his wife and children, except for one, are sitting around their table eating breakfast (UC). It's normal, quiet, and boring as usual. No one engaging in any conversation, until the nanny of the youngest daughter comes running in frantically.

MASTER:

What’s the matter Angelica?

ANGELICA:

Oh Master, a tragedy has arisen! Young Mila has gone missing!

MASTER:

(Gets up from his seat) What? How? What is the meaning for this irresponsibility? 

ANGELICA:

Well, well (moves closer to the table [UC]) sir we will find her! I promise! 

MASTER:

Don’t just stand there! (Yelling tone) Find her immediately! She’s a baby for crying out loud, couldn’t have run away too far!

ANGELICA:

(Runs away hastily [UR]) I’m on it sir!

MASTER:

(Continues eating his food) Ridiculous nanny, can’t even keep track of an infant child. Right Martha?

MARTHA:

(Looks up, smiling, from her food) Oh quite right darling. In fact, she won’t need to keep track of the infant any longer; I let them go. (Goes back to peacefully eating her breakfast)

MASTER:

You did what? Let who go? (Feels the rush of guilt and disbelief taking over his body)

MARTHA:

Oh you know the servant girl , and infant, that you claimed was abandoned, but is really your bastard child. I let them go, since it’s what the mother wanted. (In a very calm and normal tone)

MASTER:

(Swallows his thoughts and goes back to eating his breakfast) I don’t know what you’re talking about.

MARTHA:

(Laughs softly) All right darling. Now eat your breakfast before it gets cold.

MASTER:

(Clears his throat and slowly begins to eat)

{THE END}

Author’s Biography: