Battle To Freedom | Teen Ink

Battle To Freedom

By taylor327, Levittown, Pennsylvania
taylor327, Levittown, Pennsylvania

Author's note:

Thank you for reading my story! 

Robert was 25 when he attended church, on the 3rd Sunday of May, with his wife, Pam, and 2 children, Ken and Mary. After church that morning the families at church were asked to join the Continental Army because they were low on men. When Robert heard this information he shouted, “Me, I’ll do it!” Ever since Robert was little he always had a strong passion for fighting for what he and his people deserved because 15 years ago his father died at war.

Meeting the others was difficult because we all didn’t have the same ideas. The first battle of the revolutionary war was Lexington and Concord, which resulted in a win for the Americans. The Battle at Concord proved to the British that the American army was not just a band of unorganized rebels, but an army that deserved respect and power.

The biggest struggle of going to war was the low supply of sources and a place to stay. Robert was a poor man with very little land at home. While at battle Robert wondered what his wife and children were doing at their house. Robert felt hope after the first win because he didn’t die.

When the French joined the war the battle was interesting because the French were rivals of the British. Their entrance was vital to the american victory. Robert thought the french were a lot stronger than him and all the others, so he felt lower in power.

George Washington seemed nice and he was the commander in chief of the Continental army. He was determined to win the war and earn freedom. Robert was also determined to win and be able to see the new world and share this experience with his family and friends.

The women, including Roberts wife, boycotted British rule at home with the older sons and daughters. The most risky thing the women had to was spy on the British by listening to what the congress was talking about and then tell all the information to George Washington.

Militia would fight in the war if it was necessary for them to do that. They fought at Valley Forge which was the turning point of the war.

While winter came upon the soldiers, they marched to Valley Forge, Pennsylvania. When the army arrived at Valley Forge they were located along trade routes and near farm supplies. The army started to make huts to keep warm from the freezing cold. It was a rough winter with very little food and clothing. Robert had trouble keeping warm and often worried about his survival. He started to talk to George Washington about his needs and at the end of winter the army finally got food.

Lord Cornwallis was the governor general of India and Charles Cornwallis led several successful early campaigns during the American Revolution, securing British victories at New York. The continental army was not happy about his doings.

Some of the technology that is used in the war was brown bess, charleville musket, muskets, long rifles,  bayonet. The generals and commanders were able to have better weapons.

Men that were fighting had to dress in coats, waistcoats, and breeches. Robert was used to wearing waistcoat because he wore them to church. He never wore breeches, but knew what they looked like.

In total, around 230,000 soldiers served in the Continental Army, though never more than 48,000 soldiers at one time during battle. Robert felt very lucky to be one of all those brave soldiers.

The term "Hessians" refers to the approximately 30,000 German troops hired by the British to help fight during the American Revolution. They were principally drawn from the German state of Hesse-Cassel, although soldiers from other German states also saw action in America.

There were many, many, many rules of battle that had to be known to everyone that fought. The top 5 rules of battle are as listed. -Don’t assume you are welcome -Cultivate local support -Respect local religious practices -Don’t abuse prisoners -Withdraw if your objectives are unobtainable