Bond | Teen Ink

Bond

May 7, 2019
By FBIOPENUP, Bristol, Pennsylvania
More by this author
FBIOPENUP, Bristol, Pennsylvania
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I was rearranging some books when I heard someone enter the bookstore. They were waiting at the counter, so I put the books down and went to talk to them.

“Good day Madam, welcome to the Bookstore!” I greeted, “Is there any book in particular you are looking for?” Now, I couldn’t help but feel like I knew this woman from somewhere.

“No,” the woman replied,”I came to speak with you, Henry.” So that’s why I knew them! This is my best friend’s sister, Abitha.

“Abitha, how have you been?” I asked, “It’s felt like forever since me and your brother went to the war!”

“That’s what I’m here to talk about.” Abitha stated. “If you recall, you’d remember today is the day that Thomas is supposed to be traded with the other prisoners, but that hasn’t happened!”

At that moment in time I couldn’t believe what I was being told. My best and only friend wasn’t being exchanged even though the British said they would!?

“I’m sorry Abitha, but I have to close the shop for the day.” I said abruptly.

 

I sold a book to Benjamin Franklin the other day, it was Common Sense. Also I asked him if I could speak to Washington and he told me he’d deliver the message. Benjamin said he would so I am going to trust him. It took about three days for me to get to talk with Washington, but Benjamin kept his promise.


“Good day, General Washington.” I greeted.

“Good day, Henry . . . wait, aren’t you that very tall soldier that was wounded in Quebec?” Washington asked me.

“That would be me sir!” I responded. “ I actually called you because I wanted to rejoin the army.”

Washington told me that if I wanted to rejoin the army I could go to where I signed up last time. That is when I told him I wanted to be a spy for the Army. Believe it or not, he told me he needed a spy and what he heard about me would make me a brilliant spy. I asked him if could take the spot of that needed for a spy. Washington actually agreed to it. Hold on Thomas, I’m coming to find you!


I have always had a curious nature, but never did I expect I’d have to eavesdrop on the Army. But that’s what a spy has to do right? My first mission was to spy on some British soldiers in New York, and I was going to a warship where prisoners were being held. Who knows, maybe I’ll find the prisoners that the British were meant to trade. By the way, my trip to get to New York was beautiful. There were singing birds, fresh air, calm rivers, gorgeous sunsets, brightly colored flowers, and no noise from the city.


While I was putting on my disguise as one of the British officers, my mind was fuelled with nothing but the thought of bringing Thomas back home, dead or alive! I talked with some of the Loyalists later that were only a Loyalist because their family was. Poor souls, having to be on a certain side just because their kin is. The more I think about it, the more I realize how much trouble this war caused me and my family. First, I had gotten severe wounds at Quebec. Next, my mom got sick and I could be helping my family out. Lastly, I was going to feel very sorry for any British soldier who stands in my way, because they WILL be dead. I’m not one to make accusations, but I swear that someone on the patriot side snitched on me. I fear this because several of the British soldiers are skeptical about me being here. At least I learned how to be a quick talker when I was a soldier because trust me, you NEED it.  As time passes I realize I could be putting myself into a life threatening situation for literally no reason, because most of the prisoners were dead from sickness. On the other hand, it’s better I’m doing this because I am finding out the fate of my best friend. In the meantime, I just hope I don’t get sick from the chef’s cooking!


So, I went down to the deck of the ship and I saw the captured prisoners I was sent to find. This may or may not sound believable, but I found Thomas too! It was very convenient that he didn’t recognize me, because if he did, the whole plan would have been ruined. If at that moment it was just me and Thomas in this situation, I’d would have gotten him out of here. I would have freed Thomas from his shackles and ran with him so fast, I could have made the quickest horse in the world seem to crawl like a turtle! It would have seemed we grew wings and flew to the heavens. But, of course I had to make sure as many prisoners as possible could escape. Right now, I am lying in my cot, plotting on how to free the prisoners.


Now, if there is one thing I learned on the whole catastrophe of freeing a ship of soldiers it is that you never make any sounds. There were several times when I thought I had woken up one of the guards, but they sleep like babies. When I opened up the hatch to help the prisoners escape, I saw a guard! Normally I would just shoot the guard, but if I did that, then I’d wake the whole ship up, so for now, I guess I’ll just throw the guard overboard.
“I hope he knows how to swim.” I mutter to myself before going back down the hatch. The holding place for the cell had a musty smell, mixed with the fragrance of vomit and waste. It was uncomfortably hot and humid, even for a summer night. Then, I had a flashback.


“Hey, Henry order me a mug of a rum.” Said a familiar voice, with a burst of excitement.

The bartender had already heard Thomas and began getting the mug.

“Good day, Thomas, how’s the kin?” I asked.

“ The kin is fine, but I came to tell you something very important.” Thomas started. “I am going to fight in the War!”

“Good for you, Thomas,” I said while patting him on the back.” “ show those redcoats who’s boss!” I whispered.

“I wanted to know if you would go with me to war.” Thomas requested.
“Sure, I’ll go to war.” I said without thinking much.

 


`I woke up the sleeping prisoners and told them I was sent by General Washington to free them. They were as jolly as child on Christmas. After I freed them,  we crept off and into the city. Now, I don’t recall much of what happened, however I remember this. We were walking back to Washington’s camp when I heard the British guards firing down on us. Thomas was shot and I got agitated. All I remember is just shooting the musket like my life depended on it.(which it did) As soon as one guard fell, I just shot down another and this kept up for a few minutes, then I woke up in one of the beds at the camp.

I was safe and Thomas fortunately survived his shot. He was sent home and I told Washington maybe I wouldn’t make a great spy if stuff like that happened all the time. Washington understood and sent me home as well. That is enough fighting in wars for my lifetime. Although, something absurd happened the other day and Abitha and Thomas asked to meet me at the tavern.


 

Good friends are worth fighting for!

 

Authors Note: In case you were wondering why the story was called "Bond" it is because Henry is very willing to go back and help his friend even though he was putting his life at risk in a final attempt to save his friend. The reason Henry's surroundings are not described very well it is because Henry himself isn't paying much attention to his environment. Think about it like this, how you have been so busy with work and you just get home and don't even pay much attention to if anyone says hello to you or take a moment to set anything down? That is basically what is happening to Henry in the story.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.