Redirected | Teen Ink

Redirected

May 7, 2019
By 301115, Bristol, Pennsylvania
More by this author
301115, Bristol, Pennsylvania
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Author's note:

I wrote this story within 2 weeks 

*BANG* gunshots eroded from the distance. “Dad please don’t do this I’ll go instead.” I said as dad put on his uniform jacket. “No Juliet. You guys are too important to me so I have to go.” Dad grabbed his weapons and reported to the fort. New york was problematic. There were so much people who migrated east New York. I started to think about enlisting to help my father but I decided it was too risky because women weren’t allowed to enlist in the army and they’d figure out right away that I was a girl.


Plus going to fight Britain is basically a death sentence, they’d outnumber us ten million to ten. I wish that there was another way but there isn’t. I considered a lot of things throughout the next week and a half. I just wish I’m not alone with this thought. I’m in a certain state of mind where I don’t care what happens if I do enlist. I was so reckless because the thought my father could die. I decided to conceal my identity and enlist for a spot in the Continental Army as Josiah Clarke.  


As soon as I thought about the plan my mind was made up, no backing down. I had to help my dad. I found a sheet with locations of where to get weapons and a uniform under my father’s bed. The next morning I set off to find that place, a very empty place, a place called Soldier’s Outlet. As soon as I saw that building on the side of the empty, dusty, dirt road. I walked inside and there was a man throwing a white ball against the wall. “Hello?” I said trying to sound like a teenage boy. The man turned and answered with a tired sigh.


“How may I help you?” He asked slouching over the counter. “I’d like some of your best war weapons please.” I replied hoping he wouldn’t notice that I was a girl. The man replied with, “Do you have filled out paperwork that certifies you to get free war weapons?” I pulled the folded paper with my signature on it and handed it to him. “Here.” I said. “Alrighty then.” He took the paper, marked it and then shoved it in a drawer. The man packed up weapons and gave them to me.


I left the empty weapon outlet and began on my way to try to get a horse because nobody wants to walk 2 hours to the meeting sight. I wanted to take a rest but if I did I'd never make it to the sight on time. As I was walking everything around me started becoming more and more familiar as if Id been here before. But I knew I have never been there before so how would everything look so familiar? Unless I was hallucinating, or I was walking in circles for the past 6 minutes. I'm going to go with walking in circles. I made the decision to take the left turn and as I walked along the dirt road. I noticed a farm up ahead and I started to become motivated to move quicker.


After I reached the farm I payed the nice farmer a few pennies for one horse. His name was Charlie. Charlie was a hard working horse and we stopped along the way to eat some food and go to the bathroom. About half an hour later we arrived at the meeting sight. We were supposed to meet around 5:15, and now its 4:20. As my pocket watch read. General Washington was there very early putting sattles on our horses. I couldn't see my father yet he was probably still stuck in the forest since he chose to take the long way and meet up with his buddies. But when I walked into the woods to use the bathroom he was right there. I ran as fast as I could to avoid him getting any glimpse of me.


If my father knew I was here with him I would be in so much trouble. But even if they found out at least I know I tried to help. As I walked back to the sight General Washington asked for my help to sattle up the last two or three horses. Of course I was honored to help. General Washington showed me many different ways to sattle up horses. Once we finished men started coming in. Once we took our role call we began to march down the hill in our blue jackets. Bullets flew passed us as we marched. I noticed a lobster back behind us and turned to aim and fire. It happened, my first shot. I felt so shocked I stood there shaking as General Washington patted us on the back and said good luck.


We were fighting the battle of, Lexington and Concord when most of our soldiers were doing good. But once we got to Bunker Hill things started to really get out of hand. We had to keep moving so as of now we are going into the battle of Saratoga. We lost a lot of soldiers there and had to regroup. General Washington called in the French army and signed the Treaty of Alliance with France. We started winning more and the Hessians were pro fighters but I think we're better.


In Yorktown we were battling our butts off but by the end I had 14 kills we were marching and I heard a yell. I jumped around to see my father on the ground starting to bleed on the grass. I started screaming and I didn’t care anymore if they found out I was a girl. I ran to my father and I saw a few lobster backs patting the one soldier on the back. I loaded my musket and fired. I didn’t miss but I had to avenge my father. I threw my musket to the ground and knelt down putting my hands over my father’s bullet wound. “HELP SOMEBODY HELP!” I screamed. General Washington knelt down next to me.


“You’re a girl…” He said surprised. “Y-yes.” I replied. A medic came and put my father on the gurney and they ran across the battlefield. I wiped the tears from my eyes and picked up my musket. “You may stay in the war.” General Washington said. “You’ve come this far and done very well. But I understand if you would like to go home.” “No. I will stay. But please allow me to see my father after he is well.” I replied. “Of course.” Washington said. I put my hat on and loaded my musket. Our army started marching once again.


*3 hours later* “Josiah Clarke?” A young medic was standing behind me. “Your father is prepared to see you.” He said to me. We walked across the field and into a large tent. I was holding something for him. It was Christmas time and I wanted to give him something special so he’d remember the experience he’d had with his own daughter. Hopefully he doesn’t see me as a disgrace for disobeying him. I was holding a red box. As I walked to his small cot bed he was staring up at the roof of the tent. He was so peaceful I didn’t want to interrupt him but I wanted to see him. “Father?” I said. He turned his head and tried to sit up. “No don’t dad.” I pulled up a wooden stool to sit down.


“Dad, I’m so sorry for disobeying you-”

“Don’t be Juliet. As much as I was disappointed in you for disobeying me. I am grateful you’re here. You yelled until the medic came, you avenged me with fifteen kills!’’

“But you got shot for it. Did they at least get the musket out?”

“Yes Juliet.” We talked for about thirty minutes before one of Washington’s men came in and told me they needed me. I got up and hugged my dad, then I ran out of the tent looking for the Continental Army’s blue coats. There was a loud bang in the distance as I was running across the field. I looked behind me and the young medic was laying on the ground. I ran back and dragged him into the tent. The red coats probably shot for me but missed as the young medic was escorting me back to the battle field. I covered his wound. I didn’t know what to do. My father wasn’t a medic, and I don’t know how to treat a patient. I wasn’t sure if I should remove the musket bullet or just leave it because I believe removing the bullet would cause more damage. I ran through the battlefield as fast as I could.


“WHERE IS WASHINGTON?” I yelled. He rushed through the crowd of soldiers. “What’s wrong?” He asked me. I stuttered. I was so out of breath I couldn’t talk. So I murmured words and pointed at the medical tent. “Is it your father?” He asked. I shook my head and I started shaking because what if the medic tragically died and something happened to my dad? “Is it the medic?” He asked a little bit more concerned. I nodded rapidly and started running again. When I got back there was blood on the floor but the medic was gone.


Washington and I searched all the rooms but then I walked into one of the rooms to see my father pulling the young man onto a cot bed. I walked over to help. Washington came in and put his hand over the wound. “I need a scalpel, tweezers, a needle and thread and bandages.” Washington said. An hour later the young medic was walking around and father and I finally got to go home to mother and I guess this is where our story ends. I am so thankful I got to help my father and that I met George Washington. It was a scary yet fun experience but I have my own story to tell now!



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.