The Music of the Woods | Teen Ink

The Music of the Woods

By Magswag, Ashburn, Virginia
Magswag, Ashburn, Virginia

"I would challenge you to a battle of wits, but I see you are unarmed." -William Shakspeare

As I trekked throughout the dead forest, I searched for any enemy soldiers. It was 1945, and I was stuck in the middle of an endless seeming conflict. Sighing, I tried to mark my way back to the camp when something shone into my eyes. Blinded, I raised my hand to cover the glare. It was a piano. Walking closer. I noticed it was in perfect condition, in fact it seemed like it was just made. It was a shiny wooden instrument that seemed like it was meant for god himself. How did it get here? Wiping off a layer of dust on the keys, I heard a comforting melody welcome me. I looked around for anyone, before investigating it further. I could help but smile, as I started to play a melody I was taught as a little boy. Closing my eyes, I allowed the magical feeling of bliss wash over me as I let my muscles take over my actions. ‘It seems like yesterday that dad was teaching me to play.’ I thought thinking back to my father. His pearly smile and strong cologne overtook my senses as I played for my father. For my mother when she found out he was killed in action in the last war. For my brother who was just drafted in the 107th squadron. For all the endless suffering and chaos inflicted by people who were fueled by hatred. As I finished the song, thinking of happier times, I let the last of the crisp melody echo throughout the dead forest. Suddenly, I heard someone clapping. Constantly remembering that I was in an active warzone, I whipped around and aimed my gun at the offender. It was a german woman with a sniper rifle at her side. “That was beautiful.” she said brushing her long blonde hair out of her eyes and wiping any tears. I lowered my gun, for some reason feeling safe with this strange sniper. “Thank you.” I said thinking back to my family, torn apart by hatred. I felt hot wet tears slid down my cheeks too. They cut through the dust and grime on my cheeks as if they were a fire burning throughout the woods. “It was for my family.” I said angrily wiping away my stray tears. “This is too.” She said raising her hands in surrender. “I just want it all to end. All the fighting, the hatred. I want it all to end.” I walked over to her and stared deep into her dark blue eyes. “Me too.” I said. “I guess one of us has to kill the other now.” She said pointing her gun at me. “I’m so sorry.” She said taking aim. “So am I.” I said doing the same. And then we fired, and two bodies hit the floor instead of one. And as their blood intertwined, the two enemies died with fear and pain in their hearts and a forbidden love unexplored.