the final goodbye | Teen Ink

the final goodbye

May 8, 2018
By BriEsk BRONZE, wentzville, Missouri
More by this author
BriEsk BRONZE, Wentzville, Missouri
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Author's note:

in the hospital in mo state 

January 7th 2017 the phone rings next to me as I get ready to go to bed and its my mother calling me “brianna dad is own his way to get you to come back to the hospital because things are not looking good for grandma and the doctor is saying that she will not be making it in the next few hours “ with that we rush up to go to the hospital and make sure that she is ok so we end up packing our stuff and doing me and my aunt just to make sure that she is ok . When we get there the room you  can just smell sickness all around and the air felt so tight and just like the room was suffocating you . I remember breathing heavy and just wanting fresh air it seem and praying to God that everything would be ok.
When we arrive to the room my grandma was hooked up to machines that was helping her breath we all had to go in the room one. At that time we only got to to see her one at a time and the  only senses that she had was being able to hear what we was saying to her. The whole time is was just whispering  to her saying that i love her and and just for her to be strong I started praying and asking God just to touch her and make her feel better that was all that I wanted was her to feel better. I was the one that was able to stay with her the longest it seemed like , know thinking about it here was so much the I wanted to say like remember the time when you surprised me for my birthday or remember when I  can  down here to viste you and we had a good summer but the only thing that could come out was nothing but I want you to stay with me.  Then all that came crashing down within seconds I was going to lose my bestfriend within hours of talking to her .

When I walked out of the room it seemed like I was the only  one that wanted something magical to happen a  to happen  or come but it seemed as thought that was not going to happen. My mom just came and hugged me because she knew that this was going to affect me and break me down all i could do in the hallway was walk up and down and just pray “ God please don’t take my grandma away from me she is all I have and I don’t want to lose her after you she the only person that understands me”. That was my prayer that was what I want to happen the whole time my grandma was acting crazy my uncle was crying and my aunt was pacing around praying herself. We was all scared and nervous of what was going to happen and the outcome of what was happening because of her I was here and because of her leaving the family was going to fall all apart and we knew that .
During that time we were all able to go in the room and see her together and that was when the  doctor came in and said the we could either do resuscitate her or not do it , and my my mom is a nurse and we all looked at her for what to do and deep down I believe that she was going to say to do it to bring her back but she made the hardest decision for all of us and that was to not do it . Then i just broke down and cried I just couldn't believe that my mom made that choose to do that ,but knowing what i knowing what I now know I new my grandma would not want to suffer like that and be bound all her life not being able to do thing for herself and having to depend on people. She was the most independent person that I knew and never dependent on anybody it was more like we dependent on her to make things right and make sure that we are all ok and that she had the money to take care of us whenever we needed it . The only person that I believe that my grandma was thinking about was me and .my little cousin because we was so close to her but everyone else she knew that they would be ok ,but us we need her the most and did not want her to leave us at all.

Around 7:00 that sunday my grandma passed and the doctors pulled the pulling on her that time i really broke down it was like I  wanted it to all be a joke or something and fo her to look at usk and say “God said it not my time to go yet and just hug me and say that she was fine everything would be fine” … but that did not happen . The cancer had took her and  she was gone knowing looking at the events that happened I knew that she was trying to stay for us and that it was in God's plan for me to spend those final days with her and for her to be with me after that was all I ever wanted. I had always said that when her final days come I wanted to be with her an spend those days with me for us to laugh one more time for me to hear her wisdom again  just to be with her was what I wanted . Things have changed since she went away nothing's the same the family has separated but times I can feel her with me and that she is smiling down on me ,she fought A good fight and i'm proud of her more than she know even though there are times that I do wish that she was till here I  know she is in a better place and is having not more pain on her. She had a legacy that will remain with me forever and I will continue it for the rest of my life and she will be with me for the rest of my life and I love her for that the laughs we have the times i cried to her on the phone and the the long phone calls that we had.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.