Another World | Teen Ink

Another World

May 4, 2013
By Netcraze12341 BRONZE, Moraga, California
More by this author
Netcraze12341 BRONZE, Moraga, California
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You will find the soul of Caesar in the spirit of this woman." -Artemisia Gentileschi


Author's note: History! Yayy!

Twelve year-old Madison Hunt watched in horror as a small girl with dark brown hair, who had forgotten to pull her hair back, was yanked into the thread machine screaming and twisting. The main factory policy was displayed in the front of the working room: Always tie long hair into a bun with provided hairnets. Many young children still neglected to follow this rule, which provided a serious disaster in the making. As the secretary and foreman worked to free the child from the machine, Madison offered up a silent prayer. She hoped she would soon be free from the factory; it was nothing to her but a trap of wicked tyranny. Little did she know how soon her wish would be granted.

After they had taken the girl away from the mechanism, the foreman, with an emotionless face, took the employer aside. The girls strained their ears as he explained in hushed tones that the children would be laid off from work at the factory; there was no money to pay them. The words “depression” and “dough” were used multiple times. A select few who had been helpful in the workroom were told to report to their jobs Monday morning. Madison, who had spent much of her time helping younger girls and neglecting her task, was not among them. Many of the little girls, and even some of the older, more experienced children, were shocked at the sudden notice. The newly founded “elite” class of machine operators smirked at the group who were being shooed out into the street.

“The money! Where is it?” asked the landlady as Madison entered the tired old boardinghouse. “Mr. Hunt’s beer prices have been unpaid for three weeks,” she added firmly, “They will be added to the rent money at the end of this month.” Madison sighed. She cared no more for her father than for the extra money he made her earn, one way or another. Her pay at the end of each month at the factory totaled only six dollars; Father's drinks and the tenement room cost ten. When she asked for jobs around the house, Ms. March, the housekeeper, would scratch her scrawny chin and answer, “It’s a depression, honey, an’ God knows where my spare change is.” Madison had come up two dollars short this month. Now, as the due day crept closer, she struggled to earn enough money to pay the fees. Her father had helped little excepted to make trouble for her. The loss of her factory job, added to the increased threat of being turned out of their room, was too much for Madison. When the day arrived, there was not enough to pay the debts.

That night, Madison tossed and turned, knowing it would be her last in a suitable bed and a roof over her head for a long while. She and her father must pack their meager possessions and leave by noon tomorrow. There was no way out of it.

Madison’s father had gone to bed in a drunken orgy, occasionally swearing in his sleep. She muttered her own swear under her breath, cursing her father for his wicked ways. Perhaps, tomorrow, she might offer her services near the train station, where the wealthy got off to stay in fine hotels and dine at graceful restaurants. Surely someone would offer her a paying job.

The next morning, Madison walked along the streets to the train station. She crept up to the burly conductor, who looked large enough to be a small giant. “Sir?” she asked, trying to catch his attention. The conductor, although tough looking, was not unkind at heart. He turned his bushy round face towards the thin timid voice. “Yes?” Madison crept closer.

“Might I wait and try to find a job?” A tear slid down her face. “M-my father and I—we were put out on the…” The conductor's bushy brow furled sympathetically. “Of course you can, girl, Just stick around and keep me company. Don’t run off with the food and clothing I give you, like one young fool I knew.” Madison smiled wanly. She thanked the conductor then walked up to the train platform. “What of you father?” he asked.

“When will the train come?” she queried, avoiding the question. The conductor laughed at her hurried expression. “Not for another hour, and even then the train hoppers already on board will be employed before you.” Madison frowned. “Why can’t I ask amongst the passengers before them?” The conductor shook his head.” Most of those men have families to support,” he explained, “It wouldn’t be fair to have a youngster take their opportunities from ‘em without so much as a by-your-leave.” Madison’s face twisted as she tried to come up with a counterargument. “Conductor...are you not going to chase them off the train?”

“I’ve a bit of kindness in me, as most conductors do,” he replied, “We aren't all run of the mill stereotypes.”

They talked like this for a long while, until finally the long, hollow whistle of a train sounded in the distant fog. Madison jumped up in excitement. Her chance was coming, literally, towards her. Her back tingled with an unfamiliar sense unknown to her in all her days of working in the factory. Her entire future was riding on that train.

A stream of people trickled out of the compartments, forming great crowds on the surface of the platform. Men and women pushed and shoved one another, trying to ascend the steps to the ground in an orderly fashion without losing their acquaintances in the throng. Madison scrambled this way and that, explaining her predicament and requesting politely for a task that paid wages. Most turned away in disgust, irritated at being asked of such a thing by a small, dirty looking girl in cheap, ragged clothing.

Madison walked heavily towards the end of the platform, dejected. She had raised her hopes to the horizon, forgetting the boundary between the rich and poor. These passengers were residents of stately mansions; they need not worry about money and wages. One did not need a working class girl in the midst of the depression when they had fine butlers and maids, trained from childhood to serve them effortlessly.

She was on the verge of tears when, out of the din created by the crowds, a throaty voice called, “Little girl!” Madison turned around in surprise. “Pardon?” she asked of a well-off woman with soft, envious blond curls and wide blue eyes. “I hear from my dear butler James,” she drawled, “that you are in need of a job. Of course, darling, I have got one, if you like.”

Madison’s eyes lit up. “May I hear more about this job, ma’am?” The woman smiled; her voice dripping with honey, she clarified Madison’s new employment. “My son is a dreary boy, so drab; he absolutely must have a friend or two besides his young cousins.” The woman nodded towards a stately looking boy, who appeared to be slightly older than Madison herself, in the distance. “You will be well treated, of course,” she stated after a moment’s hesitation.

The conductor looked on from a few feet away. He watched Madison’s face glow brightly amongst the passersby. The conductor’s own bulldog-like face stretched into a wide grin as he saw her walk away with the woman. His work was done. Madison had found her paying job and was happy. The golden strands of sunlight illuminated her face, giving him a soft, peaceful feeling.

Madison smiled delicately to give an impression of her manners. Inside, though, she could barely control her emotions. There was to be no sleeping in a cardboard box, or worse, under a thin sheet of newspaper; she would be sitting in the lap of luxury, all the while earning steady wages! It certainly felt strange to be in a state of good fortune when one had not been in years. She was ecstatic.

The woman, asking Madison to call her Rebecca, led her to a silvery automobile into which the butler helped her climb. She thought about her father, turning the problem over in her mind. Was it right to leave him here, without any means of surviving? Madison grew uneasy, worry for her father clouding her thoughts. She had left him on the street in a drunken haziness to find a job. Now she wondered whether she would ever see him again. She still remembered, in the back of her mind, the days when her father would fly kites and play marbles with her when she was young. The family had never earned much material wise, but in the years after her mother’s death and the wake of the depression, Madison’s father had become desolate, resigning himself to alcohol.

She resolved that her father would be able to find a Hoover Ville soon enough. Perhaps after she had earned enough to support them both, she would find him, and they could start from the beginning. With that last thought, Madison turned to watch the view from Rebecca’s vehicle.

The world seemed to whiz by incredibly fast; for a moment Madison believed she was flying. As she looked from the speeding automobile, passing objects grew further and further into the distance. Madison stared open-mouthed until the boy, sitting next to her, reminded her to close it. Rebecca reprimanded him sternly.

Madison smiled happily, dimples dotting her flushed cheeks. Her first ride in an automobile was enough to tell her that this new life would be extraordinary in every aspect. When they arrived at the destination, Madison looked on at the palace shining in all its glory, speechless. She nervously approached the cast-iron gates, still in awe. “Walk right on in,” assured the butler with a wink.

The beautiful, silky Rebecca led her to a soft pink room. “You will officially meet my son, Edward, tomorrow morning. Make sure to clean yourself, my dear! Dinner is at six.” She turned and promptly left the room. Madison pushed open the closet door.

To her dismay, the clothes were fit to a much larger person. Regardless, she put them on, shrinking in the pile of cotton and silk. Would Madison be so quickly defeated on her first day at this wonderful job? Panicked, she scanned the room for some sort of suitable wear. Madison jumped when she heard the door creak behind her.

“Here are some clothes you can wear, miss,” said the rosy-cheeked maid who appeared from behind the door. “They were my sister’s.” Madison gratefully took the simple blue dress she held out. It fit well, the design fitting perfectly on her lean figure. The problem was resolved.

Dinner that night was a dreamy affair, boasting of potato salad, roast chicken, tender beef chunks, and angel food cake that was to die for. Servants busy with their tasks stopped for a few seconds to stare at the new addition to the table, momentarily pondering how the girl in the plain blue dress had ended up sitting next to young Master Edward, heir to the O’Malley fortune and ship-building company, before continuing to ladle soup or pour drinks. Aware of the attention and eager to make a good impression, Madison cut daintily into her chicken and used her napkin constantly. She felt that she was doing well enough for a person who had never sat in the lap of luxury. This was certainly a beautiful outcome! Surely the boy, whose elbow kept jutting into hers as they forked in their meal, could not be as cold as her mother thought...he must be a kind soul underneath his distanced manner. We’ll have to see about that tomorrow morning, she thought.

Morning came soon enough, beginning with a wake-up call from Rosalind, the maid who had lent the dress to Madison for the dinner. She’d come up with an armful of cotton, all clothing that fit well, were practical, and little worn. Madison decided not to ask what had happened to the little sister who had owned all these dresses and stockings. Rosalind must have been incredibly hurt or saddened at her departure, to have kept all her garb.

She gripped the polished banister as she walked down the steps leading into the hall. Edward glared at her from his mother’s side with cold animosity. The boy looked to be about thirteen from Madison’s point of view, and seemed to prefer solitude to company. Rebecca suggested the two of them go to the cinema. Edward silently stalked out. Madison followed suit, sighing inwardly.

“ I've never been to the cinema,” Madison remarked absently, “What is it like?” Edward glanced at her warily. “It is just a theater; nothing spectacular.” They walked into the dark cinema as the title appeared on the small projector. “Curly Top,” read Madison.

She was full of comments when they exited the theater. “Curly Top! That was fabulous— and the actress so young! It was delightful, really.” Edward remained mute. Madison directed a curious glance at the back of his head. “Pardon me, what are you looking at?” She followed his gaze towards a young group of chattering blond girls.

They rustled by in their plaid and checkered dresses, giggling and whispering. As the group passed the two of them, the blond heads turned their way; Madison’s dark red locks stood out like a beacon in the sea of yellow. They studied her for a minute. Then the attention was turned to Edward.

“Edward!” one of the girls cried. “Oh, it is so good to see you!” The boy looked curiously disgruntled as they surrounded him. Suddenly, one of the girls whirled around and glared at Madison. “And who is this, pray tell?” Madison gulped, sensing animosity in the air.

Edward dismissed her with a wave of his hand. “This? She is nothing but a servant. A street urchin taken pity on and employed by my mother to be my ‘playmate’ like I was a small child! I wouldn't have tolerated it, but she insisted, and…” Edward rolled his eyes and sighed ostentatiously as Madison burned with fury at the insult. The message was clear; she was resented and viewed as an annoyance. Though she was brimming with anger and hurt, Madison had not the heart to announce to Rebecca that there was nothing she could do to reach out to Edward once they had arrived back at the mansion. That and the four-poster bed and extensive luxury in which she now lived convinced her to give her task another try.

Back in her room, Madison compared her new accommodations with its price, to be at the mercy of a spoiled, wealthy class with no way to defend oneself. She groaned as the dinner bell rang into her thoughts. Once dressed, she plodded down the steps two at a time, eager to lose herself in fine beef chunks and cake, to arrive at an empty dining hall. Where had her employers gone?



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.