Light Packed and Cold Footed | Teen Ink

Light Packed and Cold Footed

By HLWillis, Estes Park, Colorado
HLWillis, Estes Park, Colorado

"Before you judge someone you must first walk a mile in their shoes, because then you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes." -unknown

Lydia Fitzalan
As I walked into the tilted house that I used to call home, my tired feet grazed the rough, neglected floor. I walked endless miles to return to this place. The walk seems pointless now, for I have regained no peace of mind by returning here. If our house had not been so isolated the Baron would have burned it to the ground. Maybe I should burn the house, right now and be done with my past. The table will make a perfect fire starter. I took Ma's old hatchet to start breaking up the wood, but something stopped me. It was my chess board resting on the table, coated with a layer of dust. I had not seen the board in years.....since Elyas and I played our final game of chess together. I let my hesitation flood over me and I swung the hatchet in a wide arc until I heard it connect with wood. Splinters were shot into my eyes and a wooden chunk hit my torso sending me crashing to the floor.

Elyas and I sat stiffly across from each other. All that separated us was an old game of chess. He brought his blazing eyes toward mine and stared into their depths. Elyas looked like an angry war horse ready to buck off an ignorant rider. His body language would keep most people from making a move, but I knew Elyas too well. He always loved to scare, but he was no real threat. Elyas also hated to loose. I turned my head toward the chess board and smiled. Anyone who knew how to play chess could see that in one move I could put Elyas in a position he would loathe to be in. I moved my rook forward so his king was encompassed by my pieces. Elyas was a very poor chess player, but I still was happy about my victory. I could not help the words that were already flooding out of my mouth,"Check Mate, for the fifth time today, I guess I have better strategy than you, brother."
"Hey Lydia! Get off the damned floor and help me move these boards! Your brother would not be happy if you were to fail", the shouting voice came from the direction of my brother but it was one of a stranger. Suddenly water drenched my grey tunic.

James Sparrow
There is always good gossip and news to be hearin' at the tavern. I swear I hear all the important news, like who won which battle, before the messengers get their sorry feet anywhere to tell anyone. Though, my spouse doesn't like me spendin' my time in the bevvy house, the information I gather is useful. Just t'other day I heard all the news bout' them Frances bein' beat to the core at Crecy. It was a chavi who told me, so the facts may be a little smudged, but I still got the news. Apparently the French had an army of 86,000, including genoese crossbowmen. The English army numbered some 4,000 knights and men-at-arms, 7,000 Welsh and English archers and 5,000 Welsh and Irish spearmen. They were lined up 'gainst some cliff face and when the French came from the south like a pack of mighty hounds 'cross river Meye, they had a surprise of 7,000 six foot yew bows waitin'. The french even had themselves a whole lot of horses to ride up their advantage. Aye, but they were no match for the vigorous English men. If I recall, the boy even came up with a song for the incredible win. I believe it goes a bit like this: Some English found a couple bridges across River Meye burnt short,
So the English lined up on the ridge, right between Crecy and Wadicourt,
The King stands above by a windmill fort,
He tried negotiating with Philip who gave a snort,
Philip and his army charged with 7,000 English archers to sort,
The English let out a volley of arrows, a great resort,
To the charging french who had lots of support,
The French took a fall, no need for an escape escort,
Because the King is celebrating his victory eating a delicious, warm torte.

Alys Letterford
Lydia and I used to care about nothing. We would run around, hitting each other with sticks. We both loved to pretend we were female knights, fighting better than the kings own. We got into more trouble than any other girl our age should, pranks were our expertise. When we grew older we were forced to learn the ways of a true lady. Lydia and I hated this. We didn't like the idea of not getting our skirts dirty. But we were still friends, helping each other when we could. We loved to hear stories about battles and adventure. Both our moms hated the idea that we wanted to leave home on our own and explore the rest of the world. Then, our lives took a turn for the worse. Lydia's mother fell terribly sick, she had black buboes all over her arms and legs. She looked like an evil spirit cursed and brought back from the dead. She died 3 days after the bumps appeared. Lydia and her brother Elyas were moved out of their house and cleansed, as soon as their mother died. Lydia never gained the sickness her mother had, but Elyas died 10 days after his mother. Lydia fell into a state of deep depression. She did not want to talk to me or spend time with me. She said I did not understand her anymore and she was better off alone. She thought her family was cursed by the gods, herself most of all since she lived to suffer from the images of her dying family. So she moved away, like we had always dreamed of. I doubt she experienced much of an adventure though. So when I heard Lydia was back in town, I could not miss the chance to see her. I went to the place I knew she would go, her old home.

Lark Emory
My personal nurse, Donnie, always asks me how I feel, or if my fever has broke. She does not know that I fell into a deep hole, and there is no way out. People walk by and stare into the pits endless blackness. They walk right past the hole, not knowing that deep down there is a person who wants to be pulled out. I can see every man, woman and child who walks past, but they cannot see me. It is as if I am invisible. Invisible to everyone, except Donnie. She tries to make me feel good, but her pointless questions about my health just weaken me more. She does not know that I am living under the earth in a hot bubbling pit of lava. I am burning. My skin, hair, face, arms everything burns. I have black bumps all over my arms and face. My skin looks as if it has been shed away. What did I do to deserve this? Maybe it was because I cheated a good merchant when I sold him my goat. I cannot talk now, so there is no way to tell that merchant how sorry I am. What have I done? My throat aches, I turn my head off of my makeshift bed and let out a series of repulsive blood-filled coughs.
Then, A hidden sense makes me freeze with fear. The candle in my room weakens to just a faint flicker, creating shadows on the walls. My head still bent over my bed, draws back with a crack. My candle is blown out by a source of wind. My window is closed, so the source is a mystery. I am left in total blackness. My heart pounds as I feel a bony hand grab onto my foot. I kick, but I am too weak to cause any harm. I let out a weak and pitiful scream. Donnie opens the door, flooding the room with light. I am still screaming, because I am looking into the shrouded face of what I believe, to be death. Donnie just stares in horror, oblivious to the dark creature before me. The creature looks at Donnie with a reluctant stare then ghosts out of the room.

Lydia Fitzalan
I look around and notice that, Elyas is no where to be seen. Instead I see Alys, my best friend. Before I left town, I told her that I would be better off without her. I was terribly wrong. When I look into her sweet hazel eyes, I find momentary comfort. I smile for the first time in months, "Nice to see ya, Alys."
"You too Lyd, although I did not except our reunion to be me dumping a bucket of cold water on you."
Alys looked the same as I remember, she had thick blonde hair, streaked with brown. Her wide oval shaped eyes gave a look of question beneath her furrowed brow. Her cheek revealed a small white scar, and she wore a dress the most beautiful shade of blue. I realized I probably looked worse than she remembered.
I sighed, "Why are you here Alys?"
"Hmmm, because I thought, as soon as you got back into town you would make your way down to this place. I knew you would probably get angry and start breaking things like you always do when your angry. Then you probably would get hurt, and then you would need someone like me to fix you up! It didn't happen just like that, but I was close enough."
"Makes sense to me," I said sheepishly.
Alys smiled, "well then lets go celebrate with some fresh baked kolache, you probably forgot today was market day."
"There is one thing I have to do first." I collected all the pieces of broken table and put them in a pile next to the left wall, then I dropped my torch on the timber. "Lets go, Alys."

Donnie Abell
I am helpless to the encompassing death. Already six have died under my conscience. The sickness that spreads through people like wildfire, has never been seen before by any doctor, including myself. I have no idea what caused such an illness, this is the worst part. My newest patient Lark, shows the middle stages of the disease. These stages seem to hold the most pain. First, the sickness sets in with only a mild fever. The patient tries to treat it themselves, unaware that the fever is much more than a common cough. Then red bumps appear on the victims arms and legs. After time the bumps spread to other parts of the body, then they turn a dark purple color. After this stage in the illness, delirium and mental disorientation are present in the patient. Once they get over this stage, vomiting, muscle pains and bleeding in the lungs are all signs that the patient is ready to die. Typically one will die 3-6 days after contracting the sickness. Lark has just lasted her first day, and I believe she has just reached the stage of delirium. I don't know what to try! I have tried using leaches, blood letting, various poultices and bathing her with different ointments. Nothing has shown positive results. I have even sent my assistant, Alys, on the search for new herbs and remedies. She is very dedicated to find a cure for this new death-spreader. I don't ask why, but I think it has something to do with that crazy red-headed girl. The two were seen together all over town, until the illness spread over the redheads family, killing her mamma. I guess I would try and find a cure, make up for the lose of two others if I was Alys. I guess I would also seem a little woody if I was the only one left in my family.

James Sparrow
Can't trust anyone these days. Ye might think the darn lot of the town is cursed. The wife says I shouldn't go blamin' innocent folk for things they can't control, but I think the people who get sick have been performin' the dark magics. The black bumps are jus' side effects. Then the people die, because their body can't take so much bad magic. Maybe they will finally learn that magic is not something to play with. Alchemists too, don' know a thing bout medicine. Try an' cook up special potions, like the elixir an such. They think their gonna live forever, but immortality is an unnatural state. Their body is gonna turn on them an' they will be gettin' the same black sickness. I won't ever get sick, because I have protected myself against the evil spirits and cursed folk. The spouse don't understand, she feels sorry for the people whose family has died. I tell her they deserved it, she don't understand. Gotta make sure she isn't goin' to visit anyone that is sick. She might catch some bad magic. Can't be 'round her if that ever happens. She is too good a cook to let go, so I hope she gets some sense in her. I haven't seen days this bad, since the weather started to get a whole lot colder, an' the crops started to die. Course the weather is still cold, an' the crops still won't grow good enough to feed me well. Bet that was the doin' of some bad alchemist also.

Alys Letterford
Lydia and I walked through the brimming marketplace, and we visited all the delicious stands that only held food. This was by far my best day in a while, I had Lydia by my side and I was surrounded by warm tortes. I was probably one of the few who could say that they had a good friend and a delicious sweet.
Lydia seemed to be thinking positively herself because when she looked into my eyes she said, "Alys we could change the world you know. If we found a cure. We would save thousands. Imagine, we could start with Lark Emory."
My head seemed to stand two inches taller, Lydia was back! Not only did sadness leave her shoulder, but she even thought brilliantly like she used to. I was ready to go on an adventure, like Lydia had explained. Her idea had been one of my own before she returned to town. Now I had a chance, to leave town, find a cure to the awful sickness and be with my best friend again.
"You're brilliant Lyd!," I exclaimed, "I will talk to Donnie, she can give us healing herbs and other dried food for the journey, and I am sure that the baron will be willing to lend us horses for an easy price once he hears of our goal."
Lydia frowned at me from under her unruly hair, "Alys, this is no task to take lightheartedly, Our journey will need to be fast if we wish to save anyone, and you have not begun to think of the danger. We might want someone actually skilled at wielding a sword on our side, if we wish to live."
I understood the dangers. Lydia had no idea I had been practicing the art of throwing knives ever since she left. I am sure Lydia developed some new skills of her own while she was away. I had all the confidence I needed, and I did not think too lightheartedly.

Baron Radigis of Wayford
The people expect me to find a cure to the Black Death. I am not a god. I know nothing about medicine, that is the doctor's job. Right now we are facing a big war! The people simply don't see that my interests are in more crucial areas. We had a good victory at Crecy, and we won against the French during the battle of Sluys. These are only two battles and I have no way of knowing what direction the war will turn. My soldiers are growing very weary. Two people out of my personal army have been killed by sickness or disease. More people die from battle injuries. People simply blow the black death way out of proportion. People die all the time due to illness, and if the black death gets out of control I can always send Bruno to sort things out. He is a grim figure, who has an opinion about nearly everything. Bruno is a very hard man to reason with and on most occasions he drives me mad, but Bruno is incredibly smart. He can handle nearly anything on his own. I am confident the Black Death will not get out of control, but if it does Bruno can handle it. I am sure he can and if-
My thoughts were hushed when I saw Bruno standing in the archway of my small wine-chamber, it seems as if my thoughts have summoned him. Noticing my surprise, Bruno says in a wispy voice, "I am sorry Radigis, but one of your gaurds has sent for me, it seems you have been mumbling my name in your sleep. What are your reasons for this? Sir if you may, I have wood to cut."
After some hesitation I say rather dramatically, "It is about the Black Death."
Bruno smiles at me and says, "That is why you have doctors. I assure you that they can cure whatever you may have thought up in your sleep. If you don't want it to spread, I suggest establishing a location to quarantine anyone in contact with the Black Death. Just as you should quarantine your thoughts to your head." If Bruno didn't look at me so fiercely, I would have punished him for insulting me.

Lark Emory
I wish Donnie would hurry up. She went out to get something, although I seem to have forgotten what she was getting. She said I had to remember to do something important before she left. Something about drinking something. At least I think thats what she said. I wish I could remember how long she said she would be gone, because I don't think I can handle not remembering anything anymore. The worst part is I knew that I had to do the thing I forgot to do to prevent me from the forgetfulness. Donnie should never have left me, the shadowy man might come back. I remember this man grabbing my foot with icy hands, a memory still planted in my head. I don't remember though, anything before the shadowy man. I don't even know what I am called. I just wake up everyday look down at my dirty hazel sheets, and my black spots that spread across my body, wondering who I am. I doubt that I am anyone of nobility because if I was I would not be in this situation. I couldn't be a thief or a beggar either, because no one would care to take care of me if I was. Maybe I have a sister or brother that knows everything about me, or maybe they can't remember anything about me, just like I cannot remember them. Maybe I don't have any siblings at all. If I did, wouldn't they be here with me now? Wouldn't they want to be with me in my most desire time of need, unless they think I am so awful that they cannot bear to stand my presence. I wish someone could tell me who I am, even if it's not my brother or sister.

Lydia Fitzalan
It has been two days since I was saved from Alys' voice. When I came to the state of awakening, I was confused to see my old friend towering over my body. In my flash-back the voice that brought me back to present belonged to a stranger, so naturally Alys was offended that I did not recognize her. What she did not realize, was that the speaking voice was not her own. It did not even resemble the smooth voice of a female. I know that this means something. Call me superstitious if you must, some have even referred to me as crazy. When Mom died, I heard the same voice.The voice sounded desperate and shaky but the words were clear: "Let go of the rope! One must be sacrificed. One must be forgotten, if you keep ahold your dearest defeat will be lost to a most dreadful claim. Now, Lydia look around."

James Sparrow
I say the baron is loosing his grip. The dead are being thrown out on the streets. Flagellants going 'round whipping themselves. People jus' straight out mad. An' what does he do? Well he jus' sits on his high-up chair, yellin' at the lower folk. All he cares 'bout mostly is his able-bodied soldiers. He sends em off to war, saying he's doin' it for his people. He just don't realize, that going to war don't help his people who are dying here at home. Maybe it'd be different if I could fight. Of course, the sick only die because they are weak. It's mostly their fault, but that don't mean the baron can just leave em. His job is to care for the weak and the stupid. It's not right, putting the responsibility on smart people like myself. He will learn when he has no one left to rule. He will learn.

Alys Letterford
On our way to visit Baron Radigis, Lydia and I didn't talk at all. The trip was tiresome, and now I wish I would have worn by boots. It was also a mistake to wear my fanciest dress. I thought if I dressed nice the baron would be more willing to help Lydia and I, but now my burgundy dress is covered in mud. The sleeves and gown are long and trailing, and I did not take into account that we would be walking through rain. Lydia on the other hand wore a grey tunic that laced nicely in the back, and green velvet leggings. She also had her traveling cloak wrapped warmly around her arms. The cold stretched up my back and arms, too bad I forgot my cloak. When we arrived at last to the entrance of the great hall, where the baron would be seated, I tried to clean up my appearance. I hid the muddy sleeves of my dress behind my back, and adjusted my braids.
"Are you ready Lyd?"
Lydia gave a silent laugh and opened a pair of massive doors. The great hall was amazing. A velvet carpet lined the floors up to the barons throne.There was windows of every color, lighting up the gold rimmed walls. Plants I have never seen brought a fresh smell to the room, and I realized that I would have to leave all my comforts of home to go on this adventure. In truth, I was terrified. What if I died out in the wood? What if we didn't come back with a cure? What if Lydia died? I could not face the reality of these questions, and I knew I could not confront Lydia.

Alys Letterford
The baron decided to give in to my begging. I am now hiking through dense forest with Lydia, a small pack horse, and a rather tall man named Bruno. The baron gave us some dried food and herbs, and other provisions. I also managed to talk him into giving us some money for our trip. Win, win, win! I start to walk faster, kicking up rocks as I walk.
"Walk more quietly, your going to scare the whole lot of the forest out of here, and I might be able to catch a nice deer while we hike...so HUSH UP!" Lydia says.
I look down at my favorite boots, their soft leather soles shouldn't make a sound. But of course, my blundering feet manage to step on every branch and pine needle, sending echoes of my clumsiness through the forest. I look over at Bruno shyly and smile, and I receive a smile in turn. The baron is a man who values his men, so Bruno must have made the baron really mad to want to send him away so quick. I wonder what it was that he did to get on the bad side of such an easygoing man. For now, my questions would wait because, Bruno was making the trip a lot happier and I did not want to remind him of anything unpleasant.

Lark Emory
I was laying in the grass by our well, looking at the grey clouds and the leaves blowing from the trees. I wore a tan dress stained green from the grass and already green leggings. I listened to the sound of everything outside, fascinated by the wonders of the forest. I heard trees clashing together from the fierce wind, I heard the crack of thunder, and the soft pattering of rain on my skirts. I was only eight, but I loved the feeling of being in the heart of a storm. I wasn't afraid of the lighting or the swaying trees. I felt like I was drawing energy from the skies, it was wonderful.
If I can stand up to nature and receive it's challenges as a gift, why am I so weak and tired now? Donnie told me the delirium state has passed, so I might have a day left to live. I am furious at how weak I have become, my body is betraying me. It's not functioning the way I ask it to.
I hear rain beat loudly on the roof outside my window, as if taunting me. If I am going to die, I would rather die in the rain than in this stuffed up room. I kick off the covers and roll onto the floor, forcing my body to fight and move. I hit the floor and cough up blood, staining my cloths crimson. I have to make it to the door, I have to! I scoot my body forward with my arms, it seems like an hour until I reach the door. Then, I collapse, I cannot move my arm another inch. It seemed so simple in my head, just a few moves and then a push on the door and I was free. Now, I was a heap on the floor just one impossible inch away from the rain. Thinking of Donnie and the mess she would have, my wasted effort, and my pitiful attempts, I started to cry.

Donnie Abell
I walked into Lark's room this morning to find her laying on the ground. There was a trail of blood from the bed to the door, where she lay in a heap. I hope Alys finds a cure to this sickness, because all I can do for Lark is put ointment on her skin and pray.

Lydia Fitzalan

After three days of travel, Alys and I finally reached civilization. We found ourselves outside a massive castle. Black lions dancing in yellow and red flags dotted the sides of a grey stone wall, this was a foreign castle. I pushed our pack horse forward, we had to restock our supplies so we had to enter.
When we reached the front door the guards looked anxious. I was willing to bet this was their first post guarding the front door of the castle. They pointed their spears at us and said in perfect unison, "whats your business in the castle."
The guard on the left was tapping his foot, and chewing his tongue, he seemed nervous. "The baron says no visitors, unless they are on official business regarding...what was it Tom?"
Tom shook his head at the other guard "You may only enter if you are importing goods to the castle regarding....well....are you importing goods or not? By the looks of your packs I'd say not..."
Bruno gave a sharp look to the guard and said,"Sir, we have rare samples of Minuartia biflora and Ranunculus pygmaeus from the alps, an alchemist asked me to personally deliver them for immediate testing, these are very delicate plants and must be dealt with care. Please move aside, so I can enter."
"Which alchemist? I could tell if you were to lie, because I personally know every one in town." Tom said.
Bruno said," His name is Espan Williams."
"Ok I know him, go ahead and enter."
When we were inside the castle Alys exploded with questions, "What is Ranculis pigmis? Who is Espan Williams and how do you know him, and when did you go to the alps?."
Bruno smiled, " It's pronounced Ranunculus pygmaeus, it's a yellow flower. Who is Espan? He is a cousin who lives in the Netherlands, and I have never been to the Alps."
Bruno has never been to the alps, that means he made everything up."Wait." I said, " How come the guard said he knew Espen if he lives in the the Netherlands?"
"Did you see how nervous the guards were, it is always easy to fool nervous people, and I would bet he didn't know any alchemists in town either. He looked like a new recruit."
I smiled at Bruno's wit, "smart, I am so glad the baron sent you!"

Alys Letterford
I swear I just saw Baron Radigis riding outside the inn where we are staying. But that would be crazy...this is a French fort. I will tell Bruno in the morning, for now I have to sleep. My mind is probably playing tricks, maybe I should not tell Bruno. No. I will just sleep.

Baron Radigis of Wayford
My brother is sick with the black death. I had to sneak out of Wayford to see him, because he lives in a large castle that belongs to France. I recently received news that my brother knows the cure to the black death. He is the only one who knows how to brew it, but now he is too weak. If he dies, the cure dies with him. I never thought I would be on his side, but I have to save my brothers life. Maybe I should get the girls, Alys and Lydia, to help. They were the ones so desperate to find this cure in the first place, I am sure they would help me care for my brother if it meant finding a cure.

Please forgive this chapter, along with 18 and 19. I was in a rush to finish and probably could have done a better job...hope you like the story.

Lydia Fitzalan
The only man who knew the cure died, he fell through a hole and hit the ground. He felt trapped just like Lark, just like thousands of others. Just like my mom and Elyas, he is gone. Hopefully the man took good notes, because the silent and punishing killer will keep killing. A shadow is closing in on Europe, but this is not it's not first attack. Climate changes, famine have all been sent to test our strengths, our minds, our souls. I have limited time. I am just like a spinning clock rolling down a spiral staircase, and this time I can only hope Ays will catch me in the end, like she always does. Bruno and Alys, they will be the last standing survivors of the black death. My friends are strong, they have brought me more than I have brought them, love and hope. Maybe I will never find a cure, endless stuffy sickness spreading and killing so ruthlessly, or maybe I will. After all, Lark is still a sign of someone who knows how to stand up to death and fight. I will search for a cure until I die, and I mean this very literally.