Dream Gate Keepers | Teen Ink

Dream Gate Keepers

November 23, 2011
By Valkyri3 BRONZE, hartford, Connecticut
More by this author
Valkyri3 BRONZE, Hartford, Connecticut
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
Giving up doesn't mean you're weak, it just means your strong enough to let go


Author's note: this story came to me on a whim one night and i'm really trying to develop it.

It was snowing. At least that’s what I thought at first. I rubbed my eyes and looked again. That wasn’t snow. It was feathers. I held out my hand and one landed in my palm. I looked around and saw a boy who looked about my age. He had black hair that somewhat covered his eyes. He wore a long black trench coat.
“Excuse me,” I called out. “Can you tell me what’s going on?”

He pulled out something from his pocket and flung it at me. It was a silver key on a chain with the initials K.H.

“For you,” he said.

“What is this for,” I asked, placing it around my neck. The key was warm against my skin even though mere moments ago it had been cold to the touch.

“I’ll explain later but for now I must go. Until we meet again Kikori.” He jumped high and landed on the roof of a building. I watched him hp from building to building but then he suddenly stopped. He snapped around toward me. “Look out!” he yelled.

I turned and saw a large vine flying zooming straight toward me. I screamed and I suddenly found myself lying in my bed. I was breathing hard and fast and felt the cold sweat dripping down my forehead.

It was all a dream? But it all felt so real.

I brushed my bangs out my face and sighed. Huh? I felt something cold against my chest. It was the key; the one from my dream. Maybe it wasn’t so much of a dream after all.

Suddenly my bedroom door flew open and in bounded my dog. He jumped on my bed and licked my cheek. “Good morning Inko-chan,” I laughed. He sniffed at my key and licked it. “Inko-chan do you know about this key,” I asked as I scratched him behind his ear. He barked ran to the door. “Okay.” I quickly got dressed in a tank top and a skirt with suspenders. Then I slipped into my sneakers and opened the door. Inko-chan quickly ran outside and I followed. He was running fast and I could hardly keep up with him. He ran to Sikander Park, the last place I had seen my mother alive. He just kept running until we were deep into the park, all the way into the back where people rarely went. All the way to the cherry blossom tree where my mother was found dead. Only this time my mother wasn’t there. This time it was the boy from my dream.

“You again,” I said in disbelief.

“So I see your dog got my message Kikori. Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Kaori. It’s a pleasure to meet you Dream Gate Keeper Kikori.”

What the hell was he talking about?

“Dream Gate Keeper,” I asked slowly, not a hundred percent sure that I had heard correctly.

“Yes Kikori. I figured you would ask behave like this. I know this may be a shock to you so how do I explain this?”

Is that was this key is for?

“Yes that is what the key is for Kikori. You are the next chosen Dream Gate Keeper.”

Damn he was reading my thoughts?

“Yes I am and I’m sorry I can’t help reading such a pretty girls mind.”

“If you’re going to hit on me save it,” I said.

He chuckled and came over to me. “Well you’re definitely feisty.”

“Look whatever you’re here for; tell me now because I don’t know what’s going on.”

He watched me for a moment and then his eyes flashed as he looked over my shoulder. I turned and saw a blade flying toward me and I suddenly couldn’t move. Kaori grabbed me by the waist and pulled me out the way. He leapt and pulled us up into a tree.

“Where’s Inko-Chan,” I asked looking around.

Then I saw him. He held the blade between his teeth and on the other side was a woman in all black. Her hair was somewhat covering her face. The woman pulled the blade out his mouth and Inko-Chan growled menacingly at her. She backed away slowly but judging by her movements she was getting ready to… to stab him.

“Kaori! She’s going to kill him!” I shouted.

“Use the key! Send her back to hell,” he shouted at me as he jumped us out the tree.

I yanked the key off the chain and held it out toward the woman. I thrust it into an invisible key hole and turned. Suddenly a door appeared and a it opened, showing a portal of some sort. It started to pull the woman inside and she screamed in rage dropping the sword and grabbing onto Inko-Chan. He pulled against her but her grip was too strong. I watched in horror as he started to get dragged through the door with her. I looked around and grabbed the abandoned sword. Then with all my might I swung it and caught the woman at her wrist. Her hand was cut off and Inko-Chan yelped as he fell back. The woman flew through the door and then it swung shut. I knelt down and hugged Inko-Chan feeling my body shaking.

“Who was she,” I asked Kaori.

“That was a dream demon. She was sent here to kill you no doubt so that chaos in dreams can continue.”

“Chaos?”

“Yes chaos. Things have been falling apart quickly and it was too soon to even call you to take your position. Yet we had to give you the position early. We had no other choice.”

“So why not get somebody to do it temporarily? I can’t do this job! I don’t know what to do or how to do this! What am I even supposed to do?”

“Well it’s hard for me to explain. So I think it’s time that you met the other Gate Keepers.”

“Other Gate Keepers?”

Kaori smiled at me and grabbed my hand. “Yeah. Come one!”

Then he started running and dragged me along with him. I could here Inko-Chan running behind us and it took a lot to keep my skirt from going up.

We ended up at the Cold Stone Creamery that was about three blocks away from the park. It wasn’t as crowded as it usually was. Actually, there was only one table that was occupied. There were four people occupying the table: two guys and two girls. They turned as we came in and I recognized them from my school. Yuki Kakero was the captain of the cheerleading team. Her long blonde hair was tied up high on her head and she had recently neatly trimmed her bangs. Her eyes were like amber and they lit up when she saw me. Next to her sat Kikyou Sobre. She had short brown hair and piercing blue eyes. She had recently won a beauty contest for the school but that hadn’t affected her personality. She was still sweet and kind to everyone, like she was just a sweet little nobody and not the city wide beauty queen she was. Across the table was Nayetzu Fumi, an exchange student. His hair covered his eyes but I had seen them once: they were an enticing red. Next to him was Harutashi Hinoto, he was part of my group of friends but I hadn’t seen him around lately. To be honest I hadn’t seen any of them around lately.

“Hey everybody, look who I brought along,” Kaori said as we walked over to them. They loved more into the booth and I sat down at the end next to Kaori.

“Kikori! Hey there lady! I missed you,” Harutashi exclaimed at me. He came around the table and hugged me tight.

“Hi Hinoto,” I laughed. I liked to call him by his last name.

“Alright then, now that everyone is here it’s time that we made some introductions,” Kaori said.

“We already know each other though,” I said.

“Well not as whom we really are,” said Kikyou. “I’m Kikyou, the Star Gate Keeper.”

“I’m Yuki, the Chakra Gate Keeper,” Yuki said.

“Me, I’m Nayetzu the Aura Gate Keeper,” Nayetzu said taking a sip of her soda.

“The Combat Sense Gate Keeper,” Hinoto said.

“What about you,” I asked Kaori.

“I am the Key Master,” Kaori said simply. “What about you Kikori?”

“Well I think I’m the Dream Gate Keeper.”

“Now that we’re all introduced, let’s get down to business. Kikori was attacked by a demon not that long before we got here. This definitely means someone knew about her."

The author's comments:
"Then it's decided," was something that m y brother told me the day i was editing this chapter and it just seemed to fit with the mood.

“Well that seems almost obvious. Some one would’ve had to have figured out that it would be Kikori. We would choose no one else. And it’s obvious who it was as well,” Hinoto said.

“Dinoto,” Nayetzu said.



“Dinoto Sobre,” I asked in confusion. “But isn’t that Kikyou’s older brother?”

“Yes,” said Kikyou.
She stared into the cup of her tea. She didn’t like soda or juice. Just tea or water, some milk here and there for Kikyou. She cared very much about her body. Not as much as Yuki did though. That would explain why Yuki was the chakra gate keeper. Kikyou was a natural star gazer. She could be found charting the stars past a majority of the time. Kikyou could even tell you a fragment of your future. Nayetzu had actually claimed in the fifth grade that he could see auras but no one believed him. I watched him for a moment before his eyes met mine. He smiled shyly and I looked away shyly. Hinoto cleared his throat and then went back to fiddling with his straw. Hinoto, well he was obvious to me from the moment he uttered the words combat sense when we were about nine. When we were younger he would take karate classes and in about 2 short weeks he rose to the top of the class. We couldn’t figure it out but whenever we would hang out, when he was sure we were completely alone he would talk to me about it.
“I don’t know,” he had told me one time. “It’s like I can sense the other person’s next move. I know what they’re about to do and I dodge it and then hit them with a counter attack that would work best. I really don’t know how I do it but it’s like the 6th sense for me.”
I looked across the table at him. He was fiddling with the straw but he must have felt my eyes on him. He looked up and grinned at me. Then I looked over at Nayetzu. He was watching me and for a moment our eyes connected. I blushed hard and looked away. There was no denying that he was cute. He wore a perfect fitting blazer with a white shirt underneath. Hinoto cleared hi throat loudly again had look away.
I smiled softly ant Hinoto and he just watched me for a moment before averting my eyes. I just couldn’t figure it out. What had I done? Hinoto was my best friend; he should know that I wouldn’t abandon him.
“So what do we do now,” Yuki asked, flipping some of her hair over her shoulder. “I mean we all know that Kikori doesn’t know enough to protect herself. And even if we did protect start training her at this very moment she’d still be in danger. You know that very well Kaori.”
“Yes I am aware,” Kaori sighed. “Te way she handled that demon today shows promise but I know Dinoto will send more than one next time. He won’t stop until we’re all done for and I know he’ll go after the weakest link first. Not that you’re weak Kikori but you have to understand that you’re nowhere near the rest of our levels.”
“So train me now,” I blurted out. Everyone turned to look at me and I blushed hard. If there was one thing I hated was to be thought of as weak. “I mean, you know, just ignore me.”
“Well we will have to start training you now. It’s the only way we can make up for so much lost time. Do you remember in the dream you had last night? Where the vine was zooming at you? That was part of Dinoto’s doing. It took me a while to block out the nightmares and when I finally did I couldn’t keep them out for long. He’ll start to kill you in your mind before he kills you in real life.”
“I won’t let him! I’ll kill him before he can hurt her or any of you,” Hinoto exclaimed. He crushed the straw in his hand and his eyes held fierce determination. I watched him in surprise. I had never him so serious in since I’ve known him.
“Yes we feel the same way Hinoto. Relax hun,” Yuki said. I saw his shoulders become less tense and his eyes soften.
“Well shall we start training,” Kaori asked.
Everyone nodded and we headed out the ice cream shop. We walked in a silence that seemed to scream at me. It was so strange now: the thought of death being around every corner that we turned. The worst part was that Hinoto still looked so angry. I couldn’t figure out why though. I grabbed his hand and he looked at me in surprise.
“It’s okay,” I said softly and I gave his hand a gentle squeeze.
He squeezed mine back then pulled me close to him. We walked together, with his arm around my shoulder. I noticed Nayetzu kept glancing over at us. My heart skipped a beat every time I saw him watching. He was really cute and I hoped he didn’t get the wrong idea and thought that Hinoto and I was an item. We ended up at Kaori’s house. He quickly waved us inside and past his mother who tried to stop us in curiosity. He took us to his backward where he had a training field set up.
“Okay so here’s what we do,” he said taking off his jacket. “Kikyou can u conjure up some kind of opponent for her made out of light?”
“Light,” I asked curiously.
“Yeah,” Kikyou said. “I am the Star Gate Keeper and the stars give off light. So I can also manipulate light and bend it to my will. We have to teach you defense and we usually train with the beasts I make from light.” She closed her eyes and took a breath. Then she started to pull light from the air: literally. She started to mold it: first she made it tall, then she created its arms, legs and a face and then finally she gave it two scythes. “I hope you’re Kikori.” She and every one else took a step back. Kaori threw me a whip and I snapped it on the ground.
“Let’s do this,” I said/
The light monster ran and swung his scythe at me. I ducked low kick and the feet from beneath him. He fell over but he quickly jumped back up. Then I swung my whip at him and caught him around the neck. I pulled hard and his head came flying off. I watched him wide eyed. Oh my god I just pulled off his head! Ew! Suddenly the monster reached down and picked up his head, re-attaching it to his body. Oh crap. What do I do now? Then I remembered the demon from earlier. Even when I had cut off her hands she was still alive. The only way to get rid off it…
I yanked at my key and thrust it into the invisible key port. The monster lunged at me and I swung my whip again catching it in the back. Then I turned the key and portal appeared. A strong wind blew and began to push the monster to it while a sucking wind pulled it from the inside. He fought it but it was no use. So he grabbed me by my wrist instead. I fought hard to break free but it was no use.
“Let me go,” I yelled. Fear was taking over me and I stopped fighting.
“Kikori,” I heard the others yell. A figure leapt at us and sliced the monsters head off, then his hands. He threw the head and hands into the portal and the monster ran after it. Then the portal closed as I collapsed on the ground, panting hard. The person who saved me picked me up and held me close. I looked up at him expecting to see Hinoto, but instead I looked up into the red eyes of Nayetzu.
“Are you okay,” he asked me holding me close.
“I, I think so,” I said between my breaths.
“Your wrist is bleeding.” He gently touched my bruise and I winced in pain.
“Oh my God are you okay,” Yuki said running over with the others. Hinoto grabbed me from Nayetzu and cradled me like a baby.
“Thank god you’re alright,” Hinoto said.
“Oh man this is the second time something like this has happened to her,” Kaori said. “I’ve got no other choice. She’ll need one of us to be her body guard until we can be sure she won’t get dragged into her own portal.”
Hinoto was about to talk when Nayetzu said, “I’ll do it.”
“Then it’s decided.”



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.