The Day The World Died: Part 2 | Teen Ink

The Day The World Died: Part 2

By JakeyDogSuperStar, Littleton, Colorado
JakeyDogSuperStar, Littleton, Colorado

Author's note:

Since I was little, I have loved to write. The previous publication of "The Day The World Died" just strengthened my love for writing. As an author, I believe that the reader is the most important thing. That is why I want to thank all of you who took the time to read my story! From the bottom of my heart, thank you!

After she kissed me, I can't get her out of my head. but today, I'm going to find whatever strength I have in me and ask her on a date. thing is, I don't know what a date looks like in the apocalypse. or even back before the war. I am walking up to her now.

"hay jess. I was wondering, um... would you like to go out with me?" my heart races.

"Like a date?"

"yeah, is that ok?"

"jakey, I would love to go out with you." When she said that I felt happier than I had ever felt before.

Later that day

Jessie told me to follow her to a secret spot she likes to go to.

"we're here!" now I know why she brought me here. it was a hill on top of a grassy meadow. from here you can see thousands of stars in the moonlit sky. it was the ultimate romantic place. we sit down and look at the stars.

"Jakey, thank you for saving me at the raider camp. I just... no one has ever cared enough to risk their own lives to save me. well, no one but my parents." her face scrunches up, and she started to cry. I scoot closer to her and rap her in my arms.

"it's ok. your safe now. I got you, and I will never let you go."

"I... I love you jakey." With those words, I feel like I finally have a place in this world. A feeling I have not felt in over 200 years. I now know it is time, to tell the truth.

"Jessie, there is something I need to tell you. i... um."

"it's ok you can tell me anything."

"My parents were not killed. not by a person. see. I grow up before the great war, I was there when the nukes fell. I was in a vault. my parents didn't make it to the vault. in the vault, I was frozen in this pod for 200 years. when I woke up everyone else in the vault was... dead."

"I'm sorry. I had no idea what you had been through."

"it's ok. just know that if I act weird around you it's because I have never had a girlfriend before you."

"wait, you consider me your girlfriend?"

"agh... I mean if you're ok with that."

"Jakey, I have been in love with you since I met you. of course I'm ok with it!" as I snuggled up to her, I look out at the sky and know this is where I belonged."

it has been a few days since my date with Jessie. I still can't get over the fact that I have I girlfriend now. little did I know that my happiness would be cut short. today is the start of a new chapter In my life. These people in power armor showed up at the settlement calling them selfs the Brotherhood of Steel. they said they wanted me.

"let me get this straight. You want me to come with you to help fight a raider overlord? why would I come with you?"

"Because you are our best shot at taking him down. we saw what you did to the other raiders. you have what it takes to take him out."

"I know what you're saying, but I have a family here. I can't just leave them."

"you won't have a family if we don't stop him. don't you see!? he plans on killing everyone who doesn't comply with his leadership." at that moment I know I have to help. not for my sake, but for everyone else you cant protect themselves. "

ok. I will do it. on one condition. Jessie comes to."

"deal."

Today is the day. today, Jessie and I are traveling to the brotherhood base via Virdabird. I step onto the helicopter and sit down. then it started to move up. within a few seconds, we were in the air. as I look out of the helicopter and see the real picture. I see Denver. from above, you can see the aftermath of the fallout. as I look out at the destruction, a flood of emotions rushes over me. I remember all the pain I had once felt, the same feelings I had pushed so far down inside me, it may as well consume me.

"what's wrong Jake?" Jessie said.

"I'm fine." it's just... seeing all of this. the place I grue up is, gone. all because they were too stupid to realize that all that war would succeed in is further breaking an already broken society!"

"Hay, I don't know what you have been through, but I do know that you are the strongest boy I have ever met. look, when I lost my parents I felt horrible. I thought I was the worst person I had ever met, which is saying a lot. but worst of all, I felt like I had no purpose in this world and all I wanted to do was die! but then I met you. and finally felt like I had a purpose. I know things are hard for you right now, but you helped me. now let me help you."

"Thank you, I-" Then something happened. There was a big boom.

"engine one is down!!" The helicopter was plummeting to the ground. we were hit! within seconds, we would hit the ground. Right then when the lights went out, I knew that this war, had just begun.

"Jakey! Jakey wake up! Please!" My eyes open and I look around.

"oh thank god! I thought you were dead."

"what's going on? where are we?!"

"The raiders shot us down. we survived the crash but not many others did. the ones that are alive are fighting for their lives. come on we have to help them!" I get up and look around. I see an automatic laser rifle and pick it up.

"come on, let's go kill us some raiders!" with that, we rush into battle. as we run I see a raider about to kill a brotherhood initiate. I shot the raider with the laser rifle until he fell to the floor. I walk over to the initiate and give him a hand.

"here take this stimpack."

"Thanks, I don't know what to say."

"what's your name?"

"John, what's yours?"

"I'm Jakey, and this is my girlfriend Jessie. now that we're buds, let's go help the other brotherhood initiates!" we keep fighting the raiders. one by one they fell, but we were not safe yet. we still had to take out the raider overlord. Then something happened. a lone assassin snuck up on John.

"John, behind you!" the assassin stabbed John in the back. jessie then kicked the assassin in the gut and launched him into a tree. "Jessie, stay with john. I'm going to end this once and for all."

"Jakey. be careful."

"you too." I run into the battle then I see him. a large man in raider power armor. he was plowing through the soldiers like they were dominos. he grabs one of the brotherhood soldiers by the neck and threw him into the ground. then he saw me. I start firing at him but the lasers bounce off. He then shoots the gun out of my hand. as he gets closer, my heart races, and I feel sick. I know I had to do something fast. I then remembered I was carrying I knife that my parents gave me. time to make it count. I run up to him, dodging bullets, and stab him in the leg. he then grabs me and throws me into the ground. as I look at him knowing this is the end for me, something happens. he gets a message on his coms.

"your lucky I have to go kid."

"Who are you?!"

"I'm the shadow reaper." he runs off into the forest. then Jessie and John run up to me.

"Jakey! you ok?"

"ya, but I now know this is just the first of many battles in this war."

"come on, let's get home."