Harry Potter and the Cursed Child | Teen Ink

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

Author's note:

I've always loved writing, so I really hope you enjoy my spin on the Cursed child!

THIS IS A REWRITE OF THE CURSED CHILD - MAY INCLUDE SOME THINGS THAT PEOPLE MAY CONSIDER AS COPYWRITE BUT THAT WAS NOT INTENDED. I WROTE THE PEICE HERE BASED OFF OF JK ROWLINGS CURSED CHILD.

Large puffs of smoke flow out of the top of the Hogwarts Express, which is run down after running for all these years. Even though it creates an ear piercing screech as it chugs slowly to a stop into the cool train station, there is a boy that will never forget when it ran smoothly, the wheels like silk on the rails. For this is the train that brought him into a world like no other, all those years ago, a world that he never would have thought to exist. All around him are the chatter of witches and wizards with their young ones, rushing to get their children aboard the train. He never would have thought the day would come when he got to show his own kids onto the Hogwarts Express, to take them home. Harry kneels down to talk to his children, as Ginny stands behind him, gazing at the train, along with Teddy Lupin, his mentor's son that he had to raise on his own when Lupin died.

“Now, I want you to write weekly, and no conversing with stuck up blond ferrets ok?”

“Harry!” Ginny exclaimed through a laugh.

“What? I’m teaching our children the difference between civilized people and arrogant fools who complain about daddy issues for seven years straight,” Harry explained through a smile. The Hogwarts Express blew a loud whistle, and a puff of smoke filled the air.

“I’ll meet you guys on the train! Remember to go to the back compartments, they’re always the cleanest and have less people,” Teddy reminded them as he picked up his bags and headed toward the train.

“Go on guys, or you’ll miss the train,” Ginny told the kids as she hugged them goodbye one by one. Harry felt a slight tug on his grey coat, and looked down to see Cullen Cedric Potter, his second son, standing nervously below him. Harry knelt down as Cullen glanced at the train nervously.

“Hey Cullen, you should get to the train, it’s going to leave any second,” Harry said.

“Dad, what if I get put in Slytherin?” Cullen asked in a hushed voice. Harry looked from the train that was getting ready to leave, to Ginny, who was waving off the rest of the children, not seeming to notice that Cullen wasn’t with them. He considered his answer for just a moment, avoiding Cullen’s gaze. He remembers why he named his son. Cullen Cedric Potter; two strong wizards that he went to school with, whose lives were ended too soon when they were fighting for those they loved. He finally turned his head back to his son.

“Then you show them who’s boss,”

Large crowds of children pile into the Great Hall, waiting patiently to get sorted into one of the four houses: Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, or Slytherin. The Hall is buzzing with excitement, but Cullen is afraid. He is afraid to get sorted into Slytherin, the bad guys, the evil ones, the people who have a reputation of growing up to be sorcerers who destroy schools and kill children. Not only this, but he feels alone. He got separated from his other siblings in the rush of the time between the train and getting to the castle, and he is now trapped in a crowd of strangers. He scans the mass of students in black wizarding robes for a familiar face, or at least someone who seems just as nervous as he is; to his luck, he finds someone else who looks like they might throw up. A pale boy with platinum blond hair is standing near the front of the room, his hands balled into tight fists that are grasping his long black cloak with fear. Cullen quickly pushes his way through the crowd, muttering “excuse me” and “sorry” every once and a while, remembering his mother teaching him polite manners. He makes his way to the front and stands next to the boy.

“Hi,” Cullen utters, trying to cover up his shaky voice. He’s always considered himself as more of an introvert, but he needs to make friends other than just his siblings. 

“Hi,” the boy muttered back. After waiting for a second, Cullen realized that the boy wasn’t going to continue the conversation, so it was up to him.

“What house are you hoping to get into?” he asked. 

“Slytherin. My whole family was Slytherin, and I feel like if I don’t get into Slytherin, they’ll be disappointed. What about you? What house do you want to be sorted into?”

“Gryffindor. My whole family are also Gryffindors, so I guess I also don’t want to let them down,” Cullen responded. You don’t even know this kid’s name, why are you telling him all of your problems? Cullen thought to himself. 

“Nice. I’m Scorpius, Scorpius Malfoy,” the boy responded, extending a shaky hand. Cullen remembered vaguely about his dad telling him about the Malfoys and to stay away from them, but Scorpius didn’t seem at all what he was saying they were like. His dad had said they were stuck up, and always putting themselves above others, but Scorpius seems like a meek puppy that has been kicked around too much. Cullen shook his hand.

“I’m Cullen Potter,” he said with a smile. A woman wearing deep purple robes stepped up to the large podium at the head of the room, and despite being quite old, had a slight spring in her step. She began an announcement about the sorting ceremony, but Cullen was barely listening; he was too nervous to even look at the same area of the room for too long. His mind suddenly chimes into play when he hears his name being called. His heart drops to the floor and his hands sweat and shake violently. The old woman stands at the front of the room, holding an old worn out brown hat that has many patches holding it together. Next to the woman there is a small stool, where he was called to sit upon, where his fate for the next 7 years of his life would be decided. Cullen walks up to the stool, feeling the judging eyes of everyone in the room on him, and sits down, gripping the seat to keep himself from shaking so much. Without warning, a heavy weight is rested on his head, and his eyes are half covered by thick cloth. 

“Hmm, yes, another Potter is it?” he heard the hat say loudly. Cullen’s dad had told him all about the sorting hat, but it still felt funny that hat could talk; let alone move. 

“You are just like your father aren’t you? He was fit for SLytherin too. Ambitious, smart, deceiving However brave, courageous, overly confident, a true Gryffindor,” the hat bantered on. Cullen’s thoughts reeled around his head, like a hive of bees buzzing in his brain, fuzzing everything out and making it hard to think. He could hear the hat talking but the words were blurred, until he heard words that made the bees stop buzzing.

“. . .you, SLYTHERIN!” loud applause arised from a long table near the end of the room, filled with kids wearing black and emerald green robes. Cullen tried to stand but his legs felt like jelly. He nearly stumbled on his way to the table. He felt dizzy, is this really happening? There is so much going on in his head, the bees are swarming around like a whirlpool, making it feel like he was just slammed on the head by a hammer. A voice echoed through his head that he almost couldn’t make sense of: “Then you show them who’s boss,”. His dads words confused him, then comforted him. He suddenly felt a hand on his shoulder that ripped him into reality. 

“Congrats, mate! I know Slytherin wasn’t your first choice, but I’m glad I’m not alone here,” Scorpius said, seeming almost embarrassed. A warm smile spread across Cullen’s face, as cheers proceeded to boom in the air. “You show them who’s boss,” that’s exactly what he planned on doing.

This book has 1 comment.

Lains SILVER said...
on May. 3 2021 at 7:30 pm
Lains SILVER, Raleigh, North Carolina

“Homework is like medicine.... If you take too much, it can kill you,”

YAWS GURL YAWS. This is so good!!! You need to write more! I absolutely love it already!