Social Studies | Teen Ink

Social Studies

By ypatel23, Parsippany, New Jersey
ypatel23, Parsippany, New Jersey

Author's note:

This fan fiction is a piece from the beggining of the novel wonder. It is about one of auggies classes on his first day.

I was walking through the hallways after lunch. I looked down at my schedule, I have social studies next. I walked slowly through the halls looking above each door  until I saw b12 above one of the doors. I walked in with my head down.

“You must be Augie,” said Mr. Archer. “Your seat is over here.” I looked up. My seat was right next to Julian. I walked over slowly and glanced at him. He had this disgusted facial expression. I sat down and tried to ignore Julian. “Good morning everyone, welcome to 6th grade social studies.” Some students said good morning back, I stayed quiet. “Your first activity is to turn to the person next to you and tell them something about yourself.” I turned to Julian and just looked at him, I didn’t say anything.

“I like sports and video games,” said Julian.

“I like star wars and I have a sister,” I murmured.

“Does your sister look like you or does she look normal?” asked Julian. The kid next to him laughed. I just turned away. Summer turned to me and told me to ignore him. After a few minutes Mr.Archer started talking to us about the different things we are going to be learning this year. I wasn’t listening, I was just drawing in my notebook, thinking about what Julian had said. I may not look normal but I am the same as everyone else. If only he would understand that.

“Okay boys and girls, next we are going to take a pre test so I can see what you guys remember from last year,” said Mr.Archer. He walked through the rows of desks passing out the packets. He places the paper on my desk.

“Mr. Archer I wasn’t here last year,” I said.

“Oh that's right, you can work with julian.”

“Okay,” I said. I wish I didn’t say anything at all. Now I have to work with Julian. I scooted the desk towards his desk. “Mr. Archer said to work with you since I wasn’t here last year,” I said.

“Okay fine,” He replied.

He turned to the kid next to him. “I have to work with the freak,” Julian whispered. His friend started laughing. He didn’t realize that I heard him so I tried to ignore him even though it was bothering me. He turned back and look down at his paper, I did the same. I read the first question. What were Native Americans grouped into?

“I know the answer to number one, Native Americans were grouped into tribes or nations,” I said confidently

“Wow I didn’t think you would know that, I thought you would be dumb since this is your first time going to a real school,” He replied. Now Julian is starting to get on my nerves. I tried not to burst into tears so I decided to not say anything. I started fill out the rest of the questions without talking to him. He didn’t say anything either. In the middle of my test I needed to sharpen my pencil. I scan the room. There was an electric sharpener on a small table next to the door. As I get up I can already here Julian whispering to his friend next to him. As I walk back to my desk Julian put his foot out and trips me, luckily I didn’t actually fall. The person next to him starts laughing. At this point I couldn’t take it anymore.

“Do you have to always be so rude,” I raged. The whole class looked at me including Mr. Archer.

“Julian and Auggie in the hallway,” He demanded. Julian and I stood up at the same time with a nervous look on our faces, we slowly walked into the hallway. I hope I don’t get into trouble on my first day of school. All three of us were standing in the quiet and empty hallway. “What’s going on,” he asked. I looked at Julian but he stayed quiet.

“Julian has been bothering me all period because of the way I look,” I said. Mr. Archer gave Julian a disappointed look.

“Julian, go down to the office,” he said. Without saying a word Julian turns around and walked through the double doors with his head down. “I’m so sorry Auggie, I’ll make sure it doesn’t happen again.” I nodded and followed him back into the classroom. “Charlotte do you mind switching seats with auggie?”

“No, not at all,” she replied. Charlotte smiled at me as she sat down in her new seat. I smiled back and whispered thank you. For the rest of class we went over our pre-test.

“Who knows the answer to number one?” asked Mr. Archer. No one raised their hand so I raised mine. “Auggie,” he said.

“Tribes and Nations,” I answered.

“Correct,” said Mr. Archer. A few minutes later Julian came back into the room with a small piece of paper.

“Julian got detention,” Charlotte whispered.

“Good,” I replied. A few minutes later the bell rang. Everyone got up and packed up their stuff. My peers rushed out of the room. Finally it was time to go home.

Rain0309 said...
Rain0309, Parsippany, New Jersey
It was cute

Rain0309 said...
Rain0309, Parsippany, New Jersey
It was cute

Rain0309 said...
Rain0309, Parsippany, New Jersey
good job lol

Aghernandez said...
Aghernandez,
awesome :)

JuanBaldarrago, Parisppany, New Jersey
omg i can relate

malim23 said...
malim23, Parsippany, New Jersey
very good

JuanBaldarrago, Parisppany, New Jersey
THIS IS THE BEST