STAR WARS - Remnants of Order | Teen Ink

STAR WARS - Remnants of Order

By gam3nr3ad, Knob Noster, Missouri
gam3nr3ad, Knob Noster, Missouri

Author's note:

When deciding on what to write, I was at first lost on what to write for my story, as this was for NaNoWriMo. But then it came to me: a story based on the Star Wars universe would be perfect, as there was much I could write about it, because I had delved deep into the lore of the franchise -well, kind of- and had though it would be fun to do so. In short, I was glad with what I went with, and had fun with the arduous month of writing I did for the short novel. 

When writing the first chapter, I really slacked and took the time I had for granted. That is until I stopped procrastinating and got to work. I wouldn't have the story I wrote if it weren't for that. PS: I think the cover image part of submission needs a search bar or something to streamline how to look for images, as I had to scroll quite some time to get the image. Other than that, I've got nothing else.

In the Outer Rim, a lone Imperial Star Destroyer is quite the prime target for a surprise attack, granted the vast rings of asteroids surrounding most planets which provide an excellent cover for ships much smaller. Geonosis was not much different, as observed by admiral Arrik Onasi. Gazing out of the bridge's sectioned windows, he looked out at the long desolate planet, a centerpiece of some of the galaxy's most historical events. After all, this was where the Clone Wars began, sparking the flames of destruction for the next three years. After the flames of war had been snuffed, the Death Star's construction began, which would've served as the Empire's symbol of dominance and power over the galaxy, subjugating rebellion through fear. Of course, all projects needed an able workforce, and what better labor than the insect-like inhabitants of Geonosis, the Geonosians? As he looked on at the lifeless wasteland of a planet, Onasi recalled to himself the subjugation of that inferior species, forcing them at blaster point to do their share of labor. After the construction of the battle station's outer plating and the completion of the hyperdrive, Onasi -on behalf of Imperial High Command's orders- ordered the genocide and sterilization of the Geonosians and their horrid planet. "Just one more step towards the Empire's eternal glory," he said that day, his voice lined with the most cruel of intent. As if disillusioned, Onasi turned his head over the right shoulder, seeing a lieutenant in their standard uniform with a datapad clutched in his right hand, before stopping before his superior and gesturing Onasi to take it. "What is this?" Onasi asked, a spark of light curiosity in his voice. "A map of New Republic forces moving throughout the local systems," replied the lieutenant, "Furthermore, our probe droids have picked up signs of one of their fleets moving in on our location. A hyperspace jump would be ill-advised, as their ships could track us by a jump trajectory, and there are no reinforcements nearby, so it seems as if we're in a bind."

Noticing the wrack of nervousness in the lieutenant's voice, Onasi seemingly reassured him, "What are a few Mon Calamari starships able to do against us? Believe me, when they cross our path, we'll blast them into nothing but stardust. Also, may I get your name, lieutenant?" With a hastened response, the lieutenant responded "Thanewulf, sir. Owen Thanewulf." "Well lieutenant Thanewulf, I'm sure you can relay an order for all personnel to ready their battle stations, correct?" Onasi asked, thinking to himself the potential of this boy. "Yes sir," Thanewulf replied, "Right away sir!" Turning on his heels and running to the ship's alarm system, lieutenant Thanewulf pressed the button and spoke into the system: "Attention all personnel: New Republic forces are inbound to our location, all combat personnel must report to their stations immediately. This is not a drill! I repeat, this is not a drill!" Pleased with Thanewulf's adequate performance thus far, Onasi lightly smirked, then turned to the bridge personnel working in the system trenches below him. One of them looked up at him, a female officer who asked, "Sir? Do I to send a signal for reinforcements?" "That won't be necessary," Onasi starkly replied, "We are more than capable of dealing with this traitorous scum ourselves. Now return to your station immediately, officer." The officer did as she was commanded, and returned to her station, while Onasi looked out of the bridge once more, seeing the small fleet of New Republic ships appearing before him out of hyperspace. "This is for Endor." And with that, Onasi gave the order to raise the shields, and to prepare for battle.