The great Gatsby | Teen Ink

The great Gatsby

By SophiaDelgadillo, San Jose, California
SophiaDelgadillo, San Jose, California

Author's note:

I am in the story. I am Daisy's best friend who took her lover (Gatsby) away from her.

I am Daisy's best friend who took her lover away from her.

Rationale: My best friend, Gatsby, and I are at a party.   

Backstabbing Best Friend

One night, I went to one of Gatsby’s parties. I’m not the type to go to parties, but my best friend named Daisy has been bugging me to go with her to at least one of Gatsby’s parties. Daisy says that she wants me to go with her because I need to get out there more often. She thinks that I don’t know the truth about why she really wants me to go to Gatsby’s party. The truth is her husband, Tom, barley lets her do anything by herself because he doesn’t trust her ever since he caught her cheating on him, saying, “I love you and can’t wait to see you tonight once Tom falls asleep” on the phone with someone else. But, he doesn’t know who was on the other line with her because she hung up with Gatsby right before he tried to grab the phone from her. Tom and Gatsby are best friends, and Daisy started to have an affair with Gatsby ever since the night Tom introduced them to each other at his 20th “birthday“ party when he left them two alone at Gatsby’s house while he went to go buy some cigarettes.

Daisy had just called me to let me know that she was on her way to my house to pick me up. As I waited for Daisy, I got a phone call from Tom asking if me and her are going to a party together. I said yes. He told me that he was just asking because he didn’t trust Daisy and thought that she was lying. As I was on the phone with Tom, Daisy knocked on my door, saying, “Open up”,’’ so I hung up as so as possible because if she knew that I was talking to him, she would have gotten mad because she would’ve thought that Tom used to like me because of how he would look at me when ever I was around. As me and Daisy were getting into the car, Tom called my phone, and I hung up real quick. Then, Daisy asked me who it was, and I said a scam likely, and she believed me.

On our drive to the party, she wouldn’t stop talking about how excited she was to see Gatsby and how the last time she had seen him was 4 months ago.

When we arrived to the party, I told Daisy, “I’ve never seen a mansion that big and beautiful before in my life.” he said, “Me too. That’s why I fell in love with him.”

She admitted that she was a gold digger and only wanted him because he told her that he could give her anything she could possibly dream of. She said that he was handsome but could be really annoying sometimes and didn’t really like his personality.

As soon as Daisy layed eyes on Gatsby, she ran to him and gave him a hug, and then she introduced me to him with a huge smile on her face one that I never seen her make when she is around Tom. After she introduced us to each other, she told us she was going to the bathroom.

As she left, Gatsby bent his back a little and grabbed my hand and kissed it and said,  “My bad that I didn’t kiss your hand as soon as Daisy introduced you to me.”

I said, “ It’s all good, and it really wasn't necessary for you to kiss my hand.”

Then he said, “Please. Meeting a girl with such a beautiful face like yours, I had to of kiss your hand.”

To me, it felt like he was flirting.and I thought to myself, Well he is really cute and a gentleman but Daisy has a thing with him. But then I remembered that she doesn’t even like him and just wants him because shes a gold digger. I noticed that Gatsby was watching Daisy walk to the bathroom, and as soon as she entered the bathroom, he grabbed my hand and told me to “Shhhh, and just follow me.’’  

He took me upstairs into his room and locked the door. He then asked for my number and I asked why.e said, “ So that we can meet up with just each other, and I can spoil you like crazy.”

I then asked, “Aren't you talking to Daisy though”.” I don't think that’s a good idea for us to do.’’

He then says “ yeah but she don’t have to know “, then he winked at me. “ I don’t know Gatsby, you see Daisy is my best friend, and I just meet you today “ I said. “ Daisy obviously still loves Tom because she hasn’t divorced him to get with me, and i’m tired of waiting on her, and I feel like me and you could work this out between us, who cares about what Daisy would think/say “ Gatsby said. At that moment I told him the truth about what Daisy told me earlier that day “ Daisy told me that she only wants you because you are rich and will give her anything she wants, what Tom can’t do for her “ I told Gatsby. “ I knew she wasn’t the one for me, but I feel like you are that perfect someone for me “ Gatsby told me. The party started to end, and daisy calls me so I answered. She asked why I am, and I told her that I have already left because I wasn’t feeling good. Eventually Daisy found out about me and Gatsby and tried to set me up by asking me to go out to dinner with her but I know that she was going to try to run my fade and I just don’t got time for her B-S. Me and Gatsby lived happily ever after without Daisy.                                                          The End