Gatsby's Happy Ending | Teen Ink

Gatsby's Happy Ending

By 539721, San Jose, California
539721, San Jose, California

On this sunny, beautiful day, it was finally going to happen. Gatsby and Daisy had been contemplating their next move for a few months. Gatsby was finally ready to take her away and start a brand new life in San Francisco. He had been dreaming about this for years. Daisy was willing to accept, but Tom was holding her back. If Daisy ends up leaving with Gatsby, things might not end well for either of them. Was she willing to take this risk to finally have the life she could’ve had with him and be happy? Absolutely, but she was afraid.

Constantly hesitating, she reminded herself that she should be independent and do what her heart desires. Packing her bags, she was led to tell a lie to her husband. Leaving her life behind was a big step, but it was for the best. It was what she’d been waiting for.

"Where are you off to?" Tom questioned, leaning against the doorframe. Daisy simply smiled kindly and zipped up the suitcase.

"Jordan needs me to spend a couple weeks with her, are you okay with that?" her smooth, melodic voice rang in his ears. He had a slight frown appear on his lips.

“What for?” he said, slightly impatiently. Daisy had to come up with a quick excuse.

“Girl stuff,” she let out sweetly as she looked for the car keys. She was hoping he wouldn’t ask any more questions, since this was already an improvised response. He walked up to her and planted a short kiss on her forehead.

“Okay Daisy. If you need anything, let me know.” And with that, she was able to leave. That split second of acceptance is what caused her to finally be alright with leaving this life behind.

She gave Tom one last kiss before taking off. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath, and held it in until she stepped foot out of the house, releasing immediately after. Daisy felt like she just jumped out of an airplane. The adrenaline rushing through her was mixed with some anxiety, but she was ready and excited. Getting in her car, she did not look back once. Oddly, the sky wasn’t so bright, but began to look gloomy. She drove to Jordan's house at a high speed, making sure to stomp on the gas. Jordan, however, was unaware of everything that was happening. Daisy parked her car at Jordan's, then soon found Gatsby's car a block away. She happily walked to him, with the suitcase bouncing every second after bumping on rocks on the pavement. She got in the car and it started pouring rain. She turned to Gatsby, who had already been looking at her.

"What are you waiting for, Jay?" she shuttered, her nose looking like a cherry. Gatsby simply looked at her while the sound of rain made a calming thumping noise on the roof of his car. She looked gorgeous with the window behind her covered in raindrops.

He leaned in, their lips connecting in a short but passionate kiss. Once they pulled away, he immediately drove to the airport, holding her hand, off to live their ideal lives.

After a few weeks had passed, they were having a great time together in San Francisco. A large amount of nonstop phone calls received caused them to both get new phones with new phone numbers. Unfortunately, they were stuck and did not knowing what the next move was. They didn’t even know if they will ever inform anyone back home that they were okay. They did know, though, they were not planning on going back. Daisy’s only concern was Nick. She loved her cousin, and was missing him a little bit. She missed Jordan, too.

Meanwhile, Tom was not doing so well. He kept trying to call Daisy, but every call just failed. He didn't bother texting Jordan ever since she cussed him out for having to comfort Daisy because he hurt her when he was drunk. There was a knock on the front door and Tom raced to open it, but frowned when Jordan appeared at the door.

"Where the hell is Daisy? I’ve been calling and calling, and she won’t answer!" she snapped, making her way into the house. Tom’s heart pumped rapidly as if he had a mini marching band in his chest.

"I thought she was with you," he told her, unconvinced himself.

"What are you talking about? She told me not to call her because she was going to be out of town with you for a few weeks. I came because I assumed you were back and she just forgot to tell me. I thought she left the car with me because she wanted me to take care of it while you were gone--,” Jordan managed to get out while breathing quickly. Tom grabbed his keys and grabbed Jordan's arm, pulling her to his car.

"Get in," he huffed.

"Where are we going?"

"Nick. He probably knows where she is." Toms’ eyes looked like a full moon with how dilated his pupils were. Jordan was having a full on panic attack and felt nauseous. Daisy told her everything, and now she doesn’t even know where she could be.

He sped over to West Egg, hoping to get some answers. Tom translated the feeling he had in his chest onto Nick’s front door. Nick opened it, wearing a burgundy robe and rubbing his eyes. Wind brushed by Nick’s exposed legs and and caused him to shiver a bit from the cold.

"Where is she? Where's Daisy?" Tom’s eyes were bulging and he had a couple of veins on his neck. He looked like he was going to burst a blood vessel, with sweat on his forehead as if his body was completely ignoring the cold weather.

"What? I don't know, man," Nick innocently spoke, grabbing his robe and making an attempt to cover himself some more.

"Stop lying to me, I know she tells you everything." This was true. Jordan was Daisy’s best friend, but so was Nick, since, they were literally blood related. Tom shoved Nick as he walked into the house, Jordan following behind and shutting the door.

"I really don't know." Nick was in fact telling the truth. It was quick, but Tom's fist came in contact with Nick's jaw, then his nose. He was able to get a few punches in before Jordan pulled them away. His nose was bleeding along with his mouth, while Tom had a scratch on his cheekbone and a bleeding lip.

"Why do you care so much? You were cheating on her anyway! You only care about the money!" Nick shouted, assisting himself up on the couch. "I'm not telling you unless you file for a divorce." Even though Nick really didn’t know where they were, he knew for a fact they were together. He sort of felt offended that Gatsby hadn’t told him anything about what they were planning.

"What?" Tom thought for a second. He put the pieces together, connected all the dots, and suddenly it started raining harder and wind started blowing Nick’s curtains intensely. "She's with that Gatsby guy, isn't she?"

Nick didn't respond. He was pinching the bridge of his nose and using his sleeve to wipe the blood. "You never loved her,” he began, “I’m not an idiot. It was obvious you were using her the whole time, just for money. She knew it too, but she was too scared to leave. You’re dangerous.” He spit out a pool of blood mixed with saliva. The wind died down and it was less rainy, but it went unnoticed.

Slightly hurt, Tom whispered, “I did love her. I loved her so much. She was the love of my life. Until Gatsby came back, since then, she’s behaved differently. So I put her in her place and reminded her that she was with me...” he trailed off.

“You hurt her, verbally and emotionally. She would call me crying, telling me that you hurt her finger. You threw something near her, yelled at her… you’re an abusive psychopath.” Nick genuinely felt hurt for her. “She just did what she knew would make her happy. She doesn’t want you. She doesn’t love you.”

Completely ignoring everything Nick said, Tom lashed out. “Where is she?” Thunder began. “I need to win her back.”

“The only reason you really want her back is because you want your precious money, and somehow having Daisy by your side helps your toxic masculinity” Nick said, getting defensive.

“WHERE IS SHE?” Tom was up in Nick’s face, grabbing him by his robe. Nick spit out more blood from his mouth, still bleeding from a few minutes earlier.

“That’s where I can’t help you,” Tom let Nick go and simply looked at him,“they’re gone.”