Broken Inside | Teen Ink

Broken Inside

By btspaola, San Jose, California
btspaola, San Jose, California

Author's note:

This fanfiction is inspired by F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby. This work is for my English 3 class in the unit of The Great Gatsby. 

-This is all of the fanfiction that I have typed.

It was a lovely Tuesday and the sun was at its brightest this year. It had been one week since I have contacted Jay, however, I have made my mind to stay with Tom. On my way to the phone to make what I thought was the best decision ever, my precious daughter came to my view asking, “Where is Daddy? Mommy, I want us to spend the day together!”

“Oh my blessing, Mommy will ask your Father so we can have a splendid day! Go to your room for a while so that I can talk to your Father.” I said.

My lovely Pammy soon exits the room and I begin to distance myself from the phone. Once I decided to not even bother calling Gatsby any more, loud rings fill this once joyful living room before Gatsby came back after five long years. Tom entered the room to go straight to the ringing phone.

He answered, “Nick! It’s been a while since you called-” He stopped to hear what Nick had to say and hanged up after a quick minute.

“What did Nicky say Tom?”, I asked.

He looked at me with an unreadable expression on his face and exclaimed

“Nick just informed me, that bootlegger Gatsby was shot on the spot in his very own home about a week ago!”

As if time had passed by slowly, I took in everything Tom informed me and suddenly became so broken to the point that I couldn’t really form a sentence. By this point, Tom noticed that I was speechless and decided to break me even more. “He got what he deserved that big phony. He attempted to steal you from me by saying you didn’t love me. He even ran over Myrtle and drove away without looking back to see if she was alright!”, He exclaimed. Completely ignoring the fact that Tom had just revealed that woman’s name, I began remembering the night I drove Jay’s car with him after the huge argument with Tom. Jay and I decided to go to a bar where I drank that afternoon away while Jay was looking away with an unreadable expression. I nearly begged him to let me drive his Rolls-Royce until he gave in and handed me his keys. I decided to go from Long Island to New York despite being drunk. We arrived in what was the city of Ashes and at that point, Jay insisted to drive, however, I continued to drive. The next thing you know, I feel like I was shoved so hard because we hit something in front of the Rolls-Royce. Immediately, I became aware of my surroundings and saw multiple red stains on his once clean, rich creamy color of a car. Right when I was about to turn around, Gatsby had taken control over the wheel and drove away. I gasped and looked at Tom with tears threatening to fall down my face.

Tom looked at me suspiciously and asked, “Daisy, what’s wrong with you? You have been spacing out for 7 minutes now! There is no reason you should be crying over that fool!” As always, I bottled up my emotions but sooner or later, my emotions will get the best of me. I simply walk away from him with tears beginning to roll down my face. Later that day, the maids inform me that I will begin packing up because Tom had the most clever idea to move back to Louisville for a while until Gatsby is no longer the talk of East and West Egg. As I’m packed with all my belongings, I decided to hold onto my letters from Gatsby a little longer. My daughter, Tom, and I move back to my hometown filled with both beautiful and tragic memories. As one year passed, I began to regret ever loving Tom Buchanan. A week after arriving in Louisville, he had already offered luxurious gifts to this new woman like similar cream, rounded pearls he gifted me when I first met him. Tom Buchanan, the man who makes me break more by the minute, uses his power of money to get any woman he desired. Many of those women, including myself, are fools to ever fall in love with Tom Buchanan. I can no longer take the pain that Tom has caused over the years. With bravery by my side, I divorce Tom Buchanan, however, I became more shattered when Pammy chose her father over her own mother. Pammy, having no clue how this shatters me, looks at me with joyful eyes and cries, “Don’t Mommy! I will always love and care for you!”

This caused me to yell out, “Be a good girl, my little darling!”

“Pammy will be the greatest girl! Don’t worry Mommy!”

The happiness I hold soon begins to disappear as soon as everything precious to me begins to go their different ways. The last drop of happiness I had for my life began to fade away the moment Tom took my precious Pammy away with some other woman. I’m so broken inside that I can no longer express my emotions to anyone including my daughter, who rarely visits me in Louisville. How I wished to be happy with the people I once loved. However, life never turns out the way you want it to be in any case. After two years, I continue to look for that spark of happiness that will turn my life around the greater good. As for now, I want to be relieved of this dull life I hold at the age of twenty-six and feel the same euphoria I felt the night of Jay Gatsby’s party.