Calm before the Storm | Teen Ink

Calm before the Storm

By mafxr, San Jose, California
mafxr, San Jose, California

Author's note:

This piece is a work I'm doing for my English class. I have written fanfictions before but it was very cringy and I tried to make it less cheesy,

Enjoy my work or not. 

It was late at night when Daisy Buchanan came knocking on my door with a hysterical cry as if she was dying to get in. As I opened the door I asked:

“What are you doing here, it’s two in the morning?”

“I have done something terribly Jordan, a horrendous act,” said Daisy while she rushed inside only to throw herself to the nearest couch.

“ Calm down perhaps you are over exaggerating it. When you called I thought you were coming over for tea in the morning to tell me this horrible act you have committed” I said as I closed my door with a certain confusion plastered on my face.

“I-i am going behind Tom’s back… I'm betraying my husband for my own pleasure to relive my years with Jay!” exclaimed Daisy while crying.

“Calm down dear, I  thought you were about to confess to murder! Why should you feel bad for going behind Tom’s back when he has been doing just that to you for years.” I said as I prepared some orange pekoe tea in a floral porcelain kettle.

“ You do not understand Jordan!” she said as she quickly stood up walking back and forth with her pale hands on her hair. “Tom will kill me if he were to find out. He would attack Jay and take my child from me. I can’t allow that to happen..”

“Is it not simple? Why not just leave him and run off with Mr. Gatsby. Perhaps little Pammy can call him Daddy.” I said as I drank my tea trying to stifle a small giggle but ultimately failing at it.

“How can you possibly be laughing at my situation! You wouldn't know what to do if you were stuck in my position!” She said as she sat down.

" Well if I was Daisy Buchanan my choice would be clear. I would choose the one I love the most but having money is not bad either."

After a short silence Daisy opened her mouth to say something only to be interrupted by the chime of the doorbell. As we both stared at each other, I questioned myself who else besides Daisy would be crazy enough to come so late at night.

When I stood up to open the door Daisy rushed to find a place to hide as if she was about to be caught.

A tall man in a white suit stepped in looking around frantically. I recognized that man as Jay Gatsby, my friend's lover, a rather foolish lover.

" Have you seen Daisy? I saw her step out of her house and come here but I'm not sure if she has already left." Gatsby said as he walked through the hall peaking in several rooms.

"Hello to you too Jay. I'm not certain if I should answer that question just yet. You are welcomed to sit down if you want"  I stated as I sat down on my couch wondering where Daisy hid.

" Come to sit down, and tell me what is wrong," I said while pouring him a cup of tea. "Sugar?"

"Two cubes, thank you," he said as he grabbed the cup. "I just want to find Daisy. I have somethings to discuss with her."

" I'm not quite sure if Daisy wants to confront you at the moment. She is feeling rather confused and wishes not to talk to you in this instant," I said as I spot Daisy peeking through a door. "She came here but after I got her to calm down a bit, you came."

"Ms. Baker, I don't think you understand what is happening between us. It is difficult to explain. We love each other and-" Gatsby said as I cut him off.

"This isn't about my understanding of your love. I've been friends with Daisy for a long time, I know you both feel in love years ago but we are talking about the present, not the past." "I am not looking to be with her for my own desire. I want to build a new life with her," Gatsby said as he spotted Daisy "I want her to know that I am willing to risk it all."

"Daisy you might as well come out, you have been caught," I said watching the scene unfold before my eyes. "Its a conversation that has been avoided for far too long."

"I can't speak to him directly, especially with you here Jordan," said Daisy as she stepped away from the door she hid behind.

"Why does it seem that when you two must speak a person has to leave their own home," I said sarcastically  "First it was Nick now it's me. By the end of the year, everyone will need to leave for your grand entrance."

As I walked out of the room I turned back to look at Jay and Daisy as she cried on his shoulder while he whispered in her ear.

I never knew of what they spoke of for I had grown far too tired to listen. In the end, my advise seemed to go to waste. The evening at the Plaza Hotel said it all, Daisy couldn't choose between the two men.

I never would have thought this would come to haunt many after Gatsby's murder was published. It was a cursed love from the beginning.