The Great Gatsby | Teen Ink

The Great Gatsby

By asandoval, Sj, California
asandoval, Sj, California

Author's note:

My scene was based on chapter 4  when Daisy had received the letter from Gatsby. I chose this chapter because I thought it was pretty interesting but the book never gave the reason as to why Daisy was so upset and cried so much. I thought that part in chapter 4 was juicy but it wasn’t complete and so I gave it a more dramatic scene while using Daisy’s perspective on the possibility that could’ve been from that letter. I chose Gatsby’s death because since she loved him so much I thought that his death would impact her decision in choosing to marry Tom. I sort of got inspired my making it like a “novela” which is a Hispanic dramatic show and went from there!

I remember this day, a cloudy sad day.

The time where my heart was ripped into pieces.

All hope was gone.

I was in love with a man that I knew might not come back to me.

Constantly sending letters back and forth, the chances of him returning was very little.

He had a duty to serve his country, he had no choice than to leave.

I had hoped he’d get back to me.

At least I knew he was the love of my life.

We had our entire life planned out,

Marriage, kids, a home

Everything was set between us, all that was needed was for him to return in order to finally get married and begin our lives united.

But later I learned the sad truth.

I had met a man,

I had no other choice then to go with plan B.

He was a rich man who was able to support me perfectly and was desperately waiting to marry me

Although I didn’t love him, he was my last hope in love.

I wanted to move on.

I hadn’t heard from Jay Gatsby.

When Tom asked me to marry him, I had no choice but to say yes

It was that evening at the Seelbach Hotel, the day before my wedding that I had received terrible news. I received an urgent telegram that day,

I was confused I didn’t know what to think of it but the only thing I could think of was Jay Gatsby.

All of a sudden I could feel my ears turn hot red and my palms began to sweat. I knew in my heart that something terrible had happened. As I read this short telegram, all that I was able to read was, “Jay Gatsby is officially reported as killed in action”

My heart sank.

All hope was gone and I couldn’t help but live with this feeling and so at that moment, looking out the window, I was able to see the pretty leafs falling off the trees and I thought to myself, I didn’t want to be with Tom, I wanted to be with Jay

Even if it’s in another lifetime.

I couldn’t bare but feel this emptiness feeling and such sadness.

The actual thought of ending it and being with him in another lifetime seemed more comforting than life itself.

As I took a step closer to the edge of the window, almost losing my balance,

someone had pulled me back just in time.

It was Jordan Baker.

“What are you doing!” she yelled

“It’s Jay, he was killed in the war, I just wanted to be with him forever”

She looked at me disappointedly and said, “oh honey, you have a fine man out waiting to marry you who can give you all the happiness in the world, clear those tears and do what’s best in the name of you, not in the name of love.”

I didn’t understand, all my life I craved a feeling of love and I had finally found it in Jay, I couldn’t forget Jay even if I tried. Let alone, I knew a man like Tom couldn’t even try to fix me.

That night, I cried myself to sleep.

I knew that Tom wouldn’t help me move on, but he’d make it somehow easier.

That didn’t matter anymore, I knew as long as I lived in this lifetime I had to find a way to cope with these strong feelings I had

When I woke, I had this emptiness feeling, I didn’t want to think about Jay anymore. I wanted to move forward.

Holding in every one of my tears, I got dressed in this beautiful white

dress put on a smile and married Tom Buchanan.

The man who would give me “all the happiness in the world” as Jordan said.🝔