Pokemon: The Kids from Kanto | Teen Ink

Pokemon: The Kids from Kanto

By Yellowanimas, Mitchell, South Dakota
Yellowanimas, Mitchell, South Dakota

"I want to do things that grab peoples attention. That make me likable, and that make people proud of me. But no matter how hard I try, other people get credit for things I do, or do just as well. But I keep trying, and I keep going, even though nobody will be there to congratulate me." - Yellowanimas

Author's note:

I was inspired to write this because ever since I was nine I had fallen in love with the anime series "Pokemon". So when I was older and found more websites to write on, I made a character to fall into the story line and used her to tell the story I always wanted to tell. I hope people will read a chapter, be satisfied, and move onto the next chapter, wanting to read more. I also hope the story causes people to pick sides, become mad at a character, relate to a character, etc. I overall just want people to be able to like the story as much as I liked writing it.

Laura awoke to the sun that shown through her window. Her vision was blurry, as she sat up in her bed, and rubbed her eyes. Her vision became more clear, as she got out of bed. She walked over to her calendar, that was hanging upon her wall. When she saw what day it was, her eyes widened, and her tired frown turned into a joyful smile. 

"Yes! Today is the day!" Laura shouted, dancing around the room.

Then she heard a few thunderous stomps come to her room. The door creaked open, as her fourteen-year-old brother poked his head inside.

"Shut up. I'm trying to sleep." Gabe said, as he shut the door harshly again, his stomps echoing downstairs as he went back to his room. 

Laura then tiptoed to her closet and picked out her clothes. She quickly got changed and looked at herself in the full-body mirror. Her blond hair was pulled up into a high pony, as her hair fell down to her spine. Her brown eyes matched with her light skin. She was wearing a blue sleeveless sweatshirt, and beige cargo shorts, with lots of pockets. Her socks were white, and covered by her shoes, which were black converse hightops. She quickly tied up her laces, and pulled her dark blue backpack from underneath her bed, and stuffed her pajamas inside. Then she zipped it up, and slung it over her back. She quietly opened up her door, and quietly shut it, as she creeped downstairs. She could't risk waking anyone, so she grabbed an apple, and took a bite from it, leaving the house. The morning was quiet, and Laura took her time eating the apple, as she enjoyed the outdoors. After coming in view of the lab, Laura couldn't hold her excitement, and dashed off in direction of the lab, holding her apple core by the stem. She quickly ran up the stairs, and burst through the doors of the lab. 

"I'm here, I'm finally here!" Laura said excitedly, as an old man, probably sixty or so, turned around to see her.

"Ah, you must be Laura. I'm Professor Oak. You must be here for your first Pokemon?" Oak said, as he looked at her.

Oak had white hair, and a red uniform shirt. He wore a long lab coat over it, and he wore khaki pants, with brown slip on shoes. Laura, being nervous around people, hesitated, before nodding her head.

"Right this way, then." Oak said, leading her to a hollow table.

The hollow part of the table was soon arisen from the hole, and three Pokeballs were perched on it. 

"However, there are only two Pokemon left. Charmander and Squirtle." Professor Oak said, as he showed her the three Pokeballs.

"Perfect, 'cause I already know who to choose." Laura said, picking up the pokeball in the middle.

"Charmander!" Laura said, as she clicked the button on the Pokeball.

A blue light shown when the Pokeball opened, and the outline of a Pokemon appeared on the floor. As it cleared, a Lizard like Pokemon appeared, with a flame at the end of his tail. It's name was Charmander. Charmander was a small, bipedal lizard-like Pokémon, with a flame at the end of its tail. Laura looked at her buddy, and bent down to pet his head. 

"I'm your new trainer, bud." Laura said, as she pet the small creature on the head. 

Charmander moved its head a bit, causing Laura's hand to slide down to its cheek. Charmander looked happy to be picked. Laura was happy to be Charmander's trainer. 

"We're going to conquer the world!" Laura said enthusiastically, as she put her fists up in the air. 

Charmander did the same thing, but turned his head to look at someone. Laura couldn't help but be curious, and turned to the side to see a trainer towering above her, since she was crouched. He wore brown boots with black buckles, and a purple shirt, with a blue and yellow necklace. He had brown spiky hair, and he didn't seem to see Laura, for he tripped right over her, causing her to fall to the side.

"Hey, watch it!" Laura said, annoyed with the spiky haired boy.

Charmander luckily jumped out of the way, so he was unharmed.

"Sorry, but I'm not the only one who should look out." the boy said, getting up and dusting himself off. He didn't even bother to help Laura up, so she got up on her own, an annoyed look on her face.

"Oh, I almost forgot. Laura and Gary, here are your Pokeballs and Pokedex." Professor Oak said, handing Laura and Gary five Pokeballs each, and a single Pokedex.

Rude boy. Gary was his name. Laura thought. Charmander tried to dust Laura's foot off, which Laura giggled at. As soon as the boy had come in, he was out with a Pokeball. Squirtle was the last one left. No wonder that was fast. Laura thought, as she walked outside herself, Charmander in tow.

As soon as she walked out, she saw a large commotion. There was a kid who was in his pajamas, which were made up of a green and yellow T-shirt, and green and yellow shorts. He had black spiky hair, and he was talking to the brown haired boy, who snapped at him.

"None of your business! I got a Pokemon, and you don't." the Gary said, as he twirled his Pokeball on his finger.

"Hey! He just asked what Pokemon you had!" Laura said, stepping in.

"I don't care. He has nothing to do with my Pokemon." Gary said, as he turned to Laura. "I'm off." Gary said.

As if on cue, a red convertible pulled up, with a bunch of cheerleaders on the back. Gary then got in the car, and rode away.

"Smell ya later, losers!" he shouted, making Laura's face turn red in fury.

"Thanks for sticking up for me back there. Nice Charmander." the boy with spiky black hair said. "I'm Ash." he finished, holding out a hand.

"No problem. Thanks. And Laura's my name." Laura said, as she returned the handshake.

"You're late." said a familiar voice, as Ash and Laura jumped and looked behind themselves. 

Oak was standing on the steps to his lab.

"I need a Pokemon! Please let me get one!" Ash said, a desperate sound in his voice.

"Pokemon? You look ready for bed, not for Pokemon training." Oak said, sniping him for being in his pajamas.

"I swear I'm ready!" Ash shouted.

"If you say so." Oak said, as he allowed Ash to follow. "Laura, why don't you come." Oak continued, as Laura followed without question.

As they arrived back inside the lab, Ash decided to choose his Pokemon. Laura wondered why Oak didn't tell him they were all gone, but she didn't interject.

"It took a lot of thought, but I decided that I'm going to choose Squirtle!" Ash said, as he picked up the Pokeball on the right.

It opened, but to Ash's surprise, it was empty.

"That's alright, because my starter will be, Bulbasaur!" Ash said, picking out the Pokeball on the left.

But it opened, empty again. 

"That means there's no Pokemon left!" Ash said, a sad tone in his voice.

"Well, there is one Pokemon left, but-" Oak said, before Ash cut him off.

"Professor, I'll take it!" Ash said, as he got up in Professor Oaks face.

Oak pressed a button on the side of the table, and in the center of all the Pokeballs was a fourth Pokeball, with a lightning bolt on it.

"I must warn you, there's something...'off' about this certain Pokemon." Oak said, as Ash took the Pokeball.

"I don't care." the black haired boy said. He seemed persistent.

The Pokeball opened, and a blue light shot from it, as a red outline appeared, and a yellow mouse sat in front of them. This yellow mouse had long ears, with black tips on the tops, and it had stubby arms and legs. It had electricity filled cheeks, that were red, and a small nose. It had big black eyes, two brown lines on its back, and a lightning bolt shaped tail, with brown at the bottom, where the tail connected with the body.

"His name is Pikachu." Oak said

"Awe! It's so cute, it's the best of all!" Ash said, as he picked up the mouse Pokemon.

"Not as cute as my Charmander!" Laura said, as she grinned at Charmander, who grinned back.

"Oh, hi Pikachu!" Ash said, as he hugged the Pokemon.

"Pika!" Pikachu said, as a mad expression appeared on his face.

Sparks came from its cheeks, as it sprouted three bolts of lightning, and shocked Laura, Charmander, and Ash.

"Augh!" Laura shouted, as the shock spread through her body. 

"Pikachu is also known as electric mouse. It's usually shy, but sometimes have an electrifying personality."

Pikachu then stopped.

"I see what you mean." Ash said, as Laura fell over in pain.

"Shocking, isn't it." Oak said.

Then Oak handed Ash his own Pokeballs and Pokedex.

"Thank-YOU!" Ash said/shouted, as Pikachu started the shocking again.

Laura hid from range, as the shock also transferred to Oak. 

"YOUR WELCOME!" Oak said, as Laura and Charmander snickered from behind Oak's desk.

...

Laura, Ash, Charmander, Pikachu, and Oak soon arrived back outside, as Ash's family had taken the time to get out of bed and cheer for him. It made Laura smile.

"Mom!" Ash said, seemingly embarrassed.

"Oh Ash, I'm so proud of you! Setting off for your Pokemon training...but I..I'll miss you so much, my little boy!" Ash's mom said, trailing off. 

Pikachu seemed happier, as it walked up next to Ash. 

Ash's mom unzipped a book bag, and reached her hand inside.

"I packed your sneakers and jeans, nice clean shirts and underwear, and your favorite snacks, and some hot chocolate in case you want something hot, but try not to burn yourself, and a pair of rubber gloves, to do your laundry, and a new clothes line to hang it out to dry, and-" she said, naming lots of items, until Ash grabbed his stuff and book bag.

"Mom! Your embarrassing me! In front of all these people. Don't you know I'm a big kid now? Pokemon trainers can take care of themselves." Ash said, a smile and blush on his face.

"I understand." she answered. 

But then she looked down at Pikachu, a puzzled look on her face.

"That's your Pokemon?" she asked.

Pikachu managed to say its name once, before Ash spoke up.

"Yup! That's my Pokemon!" ash said, happily, as though Pikachu had never shocked him.

Laura was surprised by his fondness towards Pikachu, after being shocked twice. Laura wasn't so fond of him, even after being shocked once. Pikachu however turned away. If Pikachu were Laura's Pokemon, she would've been mad. However, Ash acted a bit shocked, before quickly recovering. He put a fist out in front of him.

"With Pikachu and Laura by my side, I'll get all the Pokemon in the world!" Ash said.

Laura was surprised when she heard her name.

"Me?" Laura asked, as she saw a bunch of heads turn to her, like they hadn't noticed her before.

"Is that your girlfriend?" Ash's mom whispered to Ash.

Ash blushed.

"What?! No!" Ash said, looking at his mom.

Then he turned to Laura.

"Yeah you. I just thought we were traveling together, since we both have our Pokemon, and are setting out at the same time." Ash said.

Laura nodded, seeing this as a good idea.

Then attention was turned back on Pikachu.

"I thought Pokemon stay inside their Pokeballs. Why doesn't this one?" Ash's mother asked.

"Uh, oh yeah, right!" Ash said, taking out Pikachu's Pokeball. "Alright Pikachu, get in the ball now." 

Ash tossed the Pokeball at Pikachu, but Pikachu pushed it back at Ash with his tail. It was like a game of catch, as it happened over and over.

"Oh, you're playing catch! You're friends already!" Ash's mom said, as she looked happily at the two.

"Uh, sure." Ash said, bending down and picking up Pikachu. "Pikachu and I are real pals! Right?"

"But-It's a little weird." Ash's mom said, ticking off Pikachu.

"Pika!!" the electric type shouted, releasing a bolt of lightning at everyone.

"Augh!" Everyone shouted, as they all fell over.

Oak was hiding, and Laura hid behind Oak, snickering.

"Those rubber gloves will come in handy! You see, rubber blocks electricity!" Oak said.

"Great!!" Ash shouted, through getting shocked.

...

Soon, Ash, Laura, Pikachu, and Charmander were on the road, Ash dressed, this time. Ash was wearing a dark green T-shirt, and over that was a short sleeved Jacket, with white sleeves, a blue base, yellow pockets, and a white collar. He wore light blue jeans that were rolled up at the bottom, and blue sneakers. He also wore green fingerless gloves, and a red and white base ball cap, with a strange looking "L" on it. Unfortunately for Ash, Pikachu needed to be tied up so he wouldn't escape. And to be sure of no shocks, he wore the rubber gloves. Ash stopped walking and sighed.

"Pikachu, are you gonna be like this the whole way?" Ash asked, bending down by the Pokemon.

Pikachu nodded.

"Is it because you don't like me?" Ash asked.

Pikachu nodded.

"Well, I like you a lot! And since you're the Pokemon I'm training, you should go inside your Pokeball, just like to Pokedex says." Ash said, as he looked at Pikachu, a hopeful look on his face.

He opened his Pokedex, and pressed a button, as it started talking about Pokemon going inside Pokeballs.

"While being trained, a Pokemon usually stays inside its Pokeball." the Pokedex said.

"You see?" Ash tried reasoning.

"But Ash..." Laura said, as she tapped a button on the Pokedex. 

"However, there are many exceptions. Some Pokemon hate being confined." The Pokedex spoke.

Pikachu nodded at Laura as to say thanks.

"That's why I keep Charmander out of his Pokeball." Laura said, as she pointed to Charmander, who waved at Ash.

Ash smiled at Charmander and gave a respectful nod to Laura. 

"Well then, I guess this ought to make it better." Ash said, untying Pikachu. "And I'll get rid of these too!" Ash said, tossing his gloves on the ground.

"How's that, Pikachu?" Laura asked the electric mouse.

But Pikachu still turned away.

"Still not good enough?" Ash said, sounding disappointed.

Pikachu nodded, and Ash frowned. Suddenly the group turned to the sound of tiny footsteps that scampered through the grass. A tiny head poked out of the grass. it looked as though to be a bird, and Laura was on it already.

"Charmander, lets catch it!" Laura said, as Charmander faced the bird.

"Hang on, I want to catch it!" Ash said, standing up.

"Fine." Laura said, giving in easily. "But only because Pikachu won't listen."

"Thanks! Alright Pikachu! Go get it." Ash ordered. 

But Pikachu turned away. 

"Will you ever listen to me?" Ash asked.

Pikachu frowned, and shook his head.

""But why not?" Ash asked.

Instead of answering, Pikachu ran away from him, and dashed up a tree in the field. Then the Pokemon yawned, and relaxed itself.

"That's okay, I don't need your help! I'll catch that thing all on my own!" Ash shouted, mad.

Laura would've been mad at Pikachu as well, but this was a little to far.

"Ash, calm down." Laura said, grabbing Ash's shoulder. "You've taken this a little far."

Ash shook off her hand. 

"I know what I'm doing." Ash said.

He took out a Pokeball, and super-sized it.

"I've pledged to be a Pokemon master. This is my first step. Go, Pokeball!" Ash said. "Enjoy your last minutes of freedom, Pidgey! 'Cause your mine!" Ash said.

Ash then turned around his hat, and threw the Pokeball at the Pidgey.

"Pokeball, go!" Ash shouted.

The Pokeball hurdled at the Pokemon, and once it hit the Pokemon, Pidgey was sucked inside. Ash immediately rejoiced, but then the Pokeball started to wiggle. At the second wiggle, it opened, and the Pidgey flew away.

"Ash, you have to use a Pokemon to weaken another Pokemon before you can capture one." Laura said, matter-of-factly.

"Now you tell me." Ash said, a little sad.

Pikachu had already started laughing, and peeing to, right on Ash's book bag. which made Laura mad. It was one thing to disobey a trainer, but to laugh at your own? That was a very rude move.

"Wait! I've got an idea!" Ash said, as he glanced at his backpack.

Before Laura knew it, Ash had grabbed his pajama, and snuck up on a Pidgey. 

"It's okay little buddy, nothing to be afraid of." Ash said, tiptoeing to the Pidgey. 

When he was met face to face with the Pokemon, he started to sweat.

"Hi there little friend." Ash said. 

The Pidgey blinked once, before Ash went haywire.

"I'm sorry!" he shouted, as he flung his shirt over the Pokemon, trying to capture it. 

A small head poked up twice, before the shirt blew up. Not literally, but it went wide, as Ash was blown off his feet himself. He was knocked straight back into Laura, who was pushed off her feet.

"Oh, sorry." Ash said, getting up.

"That was Pidgey's gust attack. Careful. Usually gust attack is follow with a-" Laura said, before she was cut off.

A bunch of sand blew in the direction of her and Ash. Once it had cleared, Charmander was rubbing sand from his eyes, and Laura was rubbing the sand off her tongue.

"Sand attack." Laura said, as she shook off the leftover sand. 

"I guess it just isn't our lucky day.." Ash said, as he shook off the sand on himself, before spotting something. "Hey!"

Laura turned around, to see a purple rat eating from inside Ash's book bag.

"Get out of there!" Ash shouted, running over to his book bag.

The Pokedex started talking again, talking about Rattata and how it stole food from stupid trainers.

"That means I'm stupid?" Ash said, dumbfounded.

Pikachu started laughing again, and Laura couldn't help but growl at his behavior. Ash was mad. He saw three Pidgey's, and he picked up a pebble on the ground and threw it at them. He missed, so he picked up an actual rock, and looked at the outline of a bird. He threw the rock, and it hit the bird in the head.

"I got it!" Ash said, pleased.

The bird turned around, and revealed to be a different bird, not a Pidgey.

"What's that?" Ash questioned.

The Pokedex then explained that the Pokemon was a Spearow, a Pokemon with a large attitude. Spearow then got mad, and charged from its spot on the ground and charged at Pikachu, who got worried, and started dodging the Spearow's attacks.

"Hey, leave Pikachu alone, it didn't throw the rock, I did!" Ash shouted.

"Pikachu, jump, I'll catch you!" Laura said, holding out her hands.

Pikachu jumped from the branch, and was caught by Laura, who handed Pikachu to Ash. Spearow was ticked off. Spearow called out some sort of cry, and before Laura knew it, she and Ash were being chased. Charmander was in Laura's arms, and Pikachu was in Ash's. But the Spearow were a lot faster than the two, so they were quickly gained upon. The Spearow started pecking at the trainers and the Pokemon, which was the reason that Pikachu was so beat down. When they outran the Spearow for some time, they reached a waterfall, that led down to a lake.

"I can't go down without Charmander dying!" Laura said, holding Charmander tight.

She took out her Pokeball, and said, "Charmander, Return!" as the Fire type was sucked into the Pokeball.

Then, Laura zipped the Pokeball in her pocket and jumped. It was all she could do at the moment. Ash quickly followed. Laura opened her eyes under the water, trying to swim to the surface. When she arrived at land, she started coughing, and ringing out her hair. Then she took the Pokeball out and released Charmander, who was definitely mad he was being confined in a ball, even if it meant death or life. She looked to the side and saw an orange haired girl, who was wearing a side ponytail. She was wearing a light yellow crop top, and red suspenders, with short jean shorts. Her line went straight, as she realized she had something on her line. 

"I caught something! It must be a big one!" the girl said, pulling on her line.

She must've been very strong, because what she pulled from the water was surprising. She saw Ash and Pikachu fly from her line, and onto the ground. Laura quickly dashed over to Ash, who was coughing. The orange haired girl beat her to them.

"You poor thing, are you alright?" she said, as she looked sad.

"Yeah, I'm fine." Ash said, as he smiled weakly.

"Not you, the Pokemon!" the girl said, as she hit Ash. "Is it breathing?" she said, becoming calm.

"I think so." Ash replied, looking at Pikachu.

"Well don't just sit there, it needs medical attention right away! There's a medical center not far from here." the girl said, swatting at him.

Ash then stepped up.

"You mean there's a hospital?" Ash asked, seemingly relieved.

"Yes, for Pokemon!" she said.

"It's called a Pokemon Center." Laura said, stepping in.

"Which way do we go?" Ash asked, worried.

"That way." the red haired girl said, pointing in the direction of what looked to a small path.

Then Laura turned around, jumping to see what was flying in the air.

"The Spearow are back! Quickly Ash!" Laura shouted, jumping and waving her arms from fear.

Ash dashed up to the small orange bike, with a basket. He set Pikachu down in the basket and hopped on the seat.

"Quickly, c'mon!" Ash said, holding out a hand.

It was a one person bike, but Laura grabbed his hand anyway, and he pulled her on. All se could really do was sit on the hood of the back wheel, hoping it would't collapse. 

"Hey, that's my bike!" the red haired girl said, storming over to them.

"We'll return it someday!" Laura shouted, as she held onto Ash's torso, Charmander in the middle, clinging to Laura.

Then Ash peddled away on the small path, trying to escape the Spearow that hat caught up to them. Soon the clouds got dark, and thunder was heard from above, and that was when Charmander and Laura feared worst. A few droplets fell from the sky, and soon, it started to rain like crazy, as Laura tried to cover up Charmander's tail with all she could do. Lightning and thunder could be heard, as the Spearow got closer to the two trainers and their Pokemon. But soon enough, the Spearow had caught up completely, and started pecking at the to trainers on the bike. Ash lost control of the bike after getting pecked multiple times, and the drop up ahead was unseen, so naturally, they flew off the bike, and onto the muddy ground. Laura, although hurt, forced herself to get up and crawl over to Charmander, protecting it from the rain with her backpack.

"Pikachu!" Laura heard Ash shout, as she turned around.

Pikachu was beat. He looked so sore, and his eyes showed as though he couldn't hold up any longer.

"This can't...happen." Ash said, tears in his eyes as he set a hand on his Pokemon. 

Then Ash took out Pikachu's Pokeball and super-sized it.

"Pikachu, get inside. I know you're afraid of going in there, but if your inside, maybe I can save you. Please, it's the only way." Ash said, hopefully.

But Pikachu refused it. Ash then set the Pokeball next to Pikachu, to let him decide what to do. Then Ash weakly stood up, and stood in front of Pikachu, and Laura and Charmander.

"Down here, Spearow!" Ash shouted, which made Laura look at him.

What is he doing? she thought, as she covered the weak Charmander's tail.

"Spearow, I am Ash Ketchum of pallet town, and I pledge to catch all the Pokemon in the world. I will capture and defeat all of you, you hear me! Now come and get me!" Ash shouted, making Laura's eyes widen.

"Ash, stop!" she shouted, as she put out a hand, trying to reach Ash's shirt.

But she was far from it, and the Spearow dove down. Tears entered her eyes, but they disappeared as she saw Pikachu dashing towards Ash. Pikachu jumped up his shirt, and onto his shoulder, before jumping off, in attempt to attack the Spearow. Then, a lightning bolt came from out of the sky, and supercharged Pikachu, who let off the biggest electric attack Laura had ever seen. It blew her away. Literally. The lightning came in her and Charmander's direction, and they were blasted off the ground. That was all Laura remembered, before waking up next to Ash, Charmander asleep. The flame on his tail was still bright and alive, which was good. She sat up, and saw Ash wake up, happy everyone was alive.

"We did it!" Ash said, happy everyone was okay.

"We did." Laura said.

Suddenly, there was a strange happy moaning sound coming from the sky. Ash looked up and gasped, and Laura quickly followed his eyes. They saw a giant bird, flying over the horizon. It looked gold from the sunlight, and it was shaped differently. 

"Whoa." Laura said, as Charmander awoke.

Charmander was weak, so laura picked him up and cradled him. Laura was also pretty weak after all of what had happened. Ash got up, holding the very weak Pikachu, and holding out a hand to Laura.

"Ready?" Ash said, as Laura took his hand and stood up.

"I am." she said, as she nodded to him.

And together they walked to the city seen nearby, as they cradled their Pokemon in their arms.

"Attention citizens of Viridian City! Attention citizens of Viridian City! We have reports of possible Pokemon thieves in our area. Be on the lookout for suspicious looking strangers, repeat, be on the lookout for suspicious looking-" Laura heard a voice, which came from the loud speakers around Viridian City, the city she and Ash were running through.

Ash and Laura were covered in dirt and dust, mud and soot, as they ran through the city, carrying their beaten Pokemon with them. Charmander's flame was low and candle-like, and Pikachu, who could barely keep his eyes open. But soon, Laura could feel herself being pulled back by her hood, and she could see Ash following her movements as well.

"Hold it!" said a female voice from behind them. "And just where do you think you two are going with those Pokemon." 

Laura and Ash were trying to escape her firm grasp, but stopped as soon as she let go.

"They're our Pokemon, and they're hurt, and we've got to get them to the hospital right away!" Ash shouted at her.

"Yeah! So let us go!" Laura said, as she held her Pokemon close.

The woman bent down. Laura got a good look at her. She had blue hair, red lipstick on, and a police uniform, but with a skirt instead of pants.

"Oh, I'm sorry.." she said, most likely feeling bad for what she had said. "I thought you might be stealing them." 

Then she looked at the two trainers. 

"Just show me your guys' ID and you can go." she said, which took Ash by surprise, as he started to sweat.

"ID? I don't have any. You see, we just came here from Pallet, and-" he said, becoming nervous.

Laura giggled at his nervousness, and pulled out her Pokedex, flipping it open and pressing a button.

"This is an ID." she said, as the sound played on the Pokedex.

After the Pokedex explained that it was there to guide Laura, Ash pulled out his Pokedex, but before he tapped the button, the officer stopped him with a sentence.

"Y'know, you two are the third and fourth people I've seen come here today from Pallet Town." 

Ash stopped, a thinking expression crossing her face.

"Then that means that Gary has already been here!" Ash said, a mad expression taking his face.

The officer changed the topic.

"It's very unusual for a person to carry their Pokemon in their arms instead of a Pokeball. How do I know you didn't steal that Pokemon?" the officer said, directing at Ash, for Laura had shown the officer her ID.

"I'll show you my ID." Ash said, taking out his Pokedex, and tapping the button on it.

"I'm Dexter, a Pokedex programmed by Professor Oak, for Pokemon Trainer, Ash Ketchum of the town of Pallet. My function is to help Ash by providing information and advice regarding Pokemon and their training. When lost or stolen, I cannot be replaced." the Pokedex said, as Ash proudly held it up to the officer.

Laura was still very worried about her Charmander, and Ash's Pikachu, who were both getting worse by the second.

"Can we take our Pokemon to the Pokemon Center now?" Laura said impatiently.

"I'll get you two there in no time at all." the officer said, winking at them.

Before Laura and Ash knew what they were getting into, they were placed on a motorcycle. Laura was placed own a side car on one side, which was also where Ash was sitting, so it was pretty cramped, Laura's legs ended up hanging over, as she held onto the side car, hoping not to fall off. Ash saw her struggles, and wrapped a hand around her stomach, helping her stay seated. Laura understood his motives, thanking him for helping out. And the motorcycle took off, speeding super fast, as Laura held onto Charmander tightly. Laura looked near the front, trying to avoid the black smoke that flew from the exhaust pipe. Ash was yelling right about now, which hurt her ears.

"Tone it down, please!" she shouted over the roaring engine, which made Ash a bit scared, so he shut his mouth.

It was nearing night as they drove to the Pokemon Center, scared for their Pokemon's health. When they neared the Pokemon Center, they just then realized how big it was. But when the officer got nearer to the Pokemon Center, Laura realized that the officer passed the parking lot, which made Laura's eyes go wide, as the motorcycle skirted to a stop in the lobby. Laura's expression looked petrified, as she quickly got out of the side car, followed by Ash. 

The nurse at the front counter had pink hair, and a pink nurses outfit, and she looked at the cop, annoyed.

"We have a driveway you know." the nurse said.

"It's a Pokemon emergency!" the cop said, as Laura and Ash ran to the front desk.

"Please help us!" Laura said, as she held out her Pokemon to the nurse.

"Oh, a Pikachu and Charmander...we'll do what we can." the nurse said, a serious look on her face. 

Then the nurse started typing away on the computer, talking to it as if it were a person.

"I need two stretchers, one for a small electric Pokemon, and one for a small fire Pokemon, stat." the nurse said, seriously.

And just like that, four Pokemon, chanting the name, "Chansey" walked in, two at each stretcher. Pikachu and Charmander were placed on the stretcher.

"They'll be okay." the nurse said happily. "Rush these Pokemon to the critical care unit." the nurse ordered the Pokemon, who nodded, and rushed the Pokemon to a different room.

"We'll begin the treatment right away." the nurse said, as she pulled on some rubber gloves.

"Uh..." Ash said, stepping up, worried.

"Who are you?" the nurse said snippily.

"His name is Ash. And that's Laura. they're the Pokemon's trainers." the officer explained.

"If there's anything we can do, please, just tell me!" Ash said, excessively worried.

"You can be more responsible." the nurse said, taking Laura and Ash by surprise.

"If you two want to become Pokemon trainers, you don't let your Pokemon battle until this condition. " the nurse said, clearly mad.

"You don't even know what happened!" Laura shouted, stepping up.

"What's past is past." The nurse said, making Laura growl angrily. "Now we have to heal your Pokemon." the nurse said, as if she was mad about healing them.

"What can we do?" Ash asked, worried.

"Just sit back and relax. Leave it to us." the nurse said, completely changing her tone.

"It's in your hands. I know you'll give the Pokemon excellent care." the cop said, saluting to the nurse.

"You got them here just in time!" the nurse replied.

"That's my job!" the cop said, looking back at her motorcycle, before sweating. "Oh my goodness, I left my motorcycle at the front desk!" 

"Next time use the drive way." the nurse said, trying not to show how peeved she was. "Ash and Laura? You need to wait in the waiting room." the nurse continued, before walking into the room the other Pokemon had went into.

"Can't I-" Ash said worriedly.

But before he could say any more, the automatic door closed in front of him, as he slumped his shoulders.

Laura put a hand on his shoulder, and looked at him with a generous smile.

"They'll be fine. Don't worry." Laura said, giving him a warm smile, that wrapped him like a hug.

Ash smiled weakly at her, as they went to sit down at the waiting room together. Laura talked to Ash for hours, but Ash was still distracted, wondering if Pikachu was okay. But he still would talk back. They conversed until it was eight p.m, as Laura grew tired. She yawned, and was close to taking a nap, until she heard a ring, that woke her up. She saw Ash over by the phone, and Laura rubbed her blurry eyes, before getting up from her spot, and walking over, sitting on a chair near him, but making sure she wasn't in the call. Laura decided not to eavesdrop, and ignored their chat, until she heard her name in there.

"Her name is Laura, who I met at the lab." Ash said, as he looked at Laura, grabbed her arms, and pulled her into the shot.

"Oh hi! You must be Laura! Ash was just telling me about how positive you are! I'm Delia." said the girl, Delia, as she waved.

Laura blushed a little, before waving back. Ash seemed a bit embarrassed about what his mom had told Laura, about him talking about her. Laura would've been embarrassed as well. They said a couple words back and fourth, until Delia decided to end the conversation.

"Bye you two! I love you Ash." she said.

"You too." Ash said, before hanging up the phone.

Ash paused for a minute, before getting up, Laura following him. Just as Ash was a bout to walk away, he stopped to see four stone pictures, a bird in three, and a four legged Pokemon in one. Laura noticed these as well, and saw one that looked like the bird they had seen earlier. Ash must've seen what she saw as well, because he was staring at that picture in particular. Suddenly, the two trainers had snapped from their thoughts, as they heard a ringing from the computer. Ash looked behind the desk, from where the call was coming from, and pressed the acceptance button. Ash spoke up.

"Uh, this is Ash and Laura." Ash said, as he was soon answered by a scratchy voice.

"I'm over here!" said the Professors voice, as Ash and Laura turned, to see a screen pop up from a vanishing stone tablet. "Ash, Laura, it's me, Professor Oak! Don't you recognize me?" Oak said.

But Laura and Ash only saw his back side, as he looked at a computer.

"No Professor, I didn't recognize the back of your head." Ash said, making Laura laugh.

Oak turned around, embarrassed, as he quickly typed away.

"Whoops! Wrong Camera..." Oak said, as the screen went black with static lines, before appearing in front of Oak's face. "There." Oak said, coughing.

"I just spoke with your mother, and she tells me you two made it to the Pokemon Center in Viridian City, is that correct?" Oak asked.

Laura nodded, as Ash said something more particular.

"We couldn't be talking to you if we weren't here." he said, making Laura laugh more, Oak glaring at her, before returning to normal state.

"The other Pokemon trainers got there so simply, and I'm surprised you two got there so soon." Oak said, making Laura glare at him.

"I had my doubts that you could handle your Pikachu, but my grandson Gary said that you both wouldn't have a single new Pokemon by the time you got to Viridian City, and I bet him one million dollars that he'd be wrong!" Oak said, with a cringe-like smile at the end of the sentence. 

Ash sweat dropped, as Laura silently laughed.

"Well, money isn't everything, right?" Ash said nervously, sweating, revealing to Oak they had none.

Oak looked really disappointed.

"Oh. Why do I even bother." he said, as Laura started to feel bad.

"It's fine Oak. I'm sure Gary doesn't expect that much from you." Laura said, half lying.

Oak shook his head, seemingly angry.

"We saw a Pokemon like that one though." Ash said, pointing to the picture that Laura and Ash had their minds focused on before. "It flew right over the rainbow!"

Oak looked up, and smiled.

"Don't talk such nonsense. You couldn't have seen this Pokemon. Trainers have searched their whole lives and never seen it." Oak said.

"It sure looked like it." Ash said, a little mad.

"I saw that Pokemon specifically with my own eyes!" Laura said, getting a bit mad as she looked at Oak.

"You two must've been mistaken." Oak said, crossing his arms. 

Then, the two trainers heard a ring of a doorbell from the other side of the screen.

"Oh, that's my pizza. Coming! It was very nice talking to you, Ash and Laura. Good luck." Oak said, leaving from view of the camera.

And from the corner of the screen, you could see Oak next to the delivery man. 

"Mmm. Anchovies, spinach, and pineapple pizza!" you could hear Oak say, as the screen went black with a ding, signaling the end of the call.

As soon as the call ended, Laura heard a voice from behind her and Ash.

"Now I've got you!" it shouted, as Laura and Ash turned around quickly.

It was the orange haired girl from before, that they saw near the lake, who fished Ash from the water. The orange bike that Laura and Ash had used to get away from the Spearow was slung over her back, as black as soot from the lightning. She breathed heavily, an angry look on her face. 

"I knew I'd find you here!" she shouted. 

"Hey, what happened to your bike?" Ash asked, as Laura turned to him.

"What happened?!" the orange haired girl said.

Laura spoke up.

"We took it and it blew up in Pikachu's Thunder Shock, remember?" Laura said, as she looked at Ash, surprised he had forgotten.

"She's right! This is what's left of my bike after you to boozers stole it to save your Pokemon! Now I can see why your Pokemon is in the-" the girl shouted, before shaking and falling on the ground from the bikes weight.

Ash and Laura quickly dashed over to help her out. She was rubbing the back of her head when Ash reached down.

"Let me help you." he said, about to help her up.

Then she slapped his hand away, as she went back to her snarky comments. 

"I don't need your help! And you two are gonna pay for what you did to my bike!" she shouted, still on the floor. 

"We'll make up for it..we promise we will, don't we?" Ash said, turning to Laura for approval.

"Swear it." Laura said, putting a hand over her heart and holding a hand in the air.

But then she frowned.

"But not at the moment..." Laura said, as she turned her head to the critical care unit.

"Ugh, I don't want any of your lame excuses, kids, I just want a new bike right now!" the girl shouted, as she held up a fist.

"You see...it's our Pokemon...they aren't doing so well..." Ash said, as he too turned his head to the lit up needle, signing that it was the critical care unit.

The orange haired girl immediately calmed her tone, as she looked over at the critical care unit as well, witch had a big bright light shining from the top sign. She immediately felt pity for the trainers.

"Is it very serious?" she asked the two trainers.

"I think so..." Ash and Laura said at the same time, causing them to glance at each other, not dare make a move in the orange haired girls presence.

"They're so darn weak at this point, the nurse says we can't do anything to help..." Laura said, as she got a few tears in her eyes.

But right at that point, the automatic doors from the critical care unit slid open, as two stretchers were rolled out. Pikachu was sleeping on one, as he was connected to some equipment, and a headband with a lightbulb. Charmander was sleeping on one as well, but he was in some sort of incubator. Laura, Ash, and the orange haired girl dashed over to the stretchers, and Laura saw her Pokemon, sadly. Laura was about to put her hands on the glass, for she was worried for her Pokemon.

"Oh, don't!" the nurse said, grasping Laura's hands before she touched the glass. "We had to heat it up to keep the fire going. Pikachu is in better condition than the Charmander, because of its tail."

"Pikachu, Charmander! Are you two alright?" Ash shouted, worried for both the Pokemon. 

"They're just resting. Good thing you got it here so fast. The procedure went well, and they should be fine. Charmander may have to rest a little more though." the nurse said, as she looked at the two trainers.

"Thanks to the Pokemon Center." the orange haired girl said, as if she felt accomplished.

"Yeah, thanks." Laura said.

"Mhm, thank you very much." Ash said, as he looked very happily at the nurse.

"Now both your Pokemon need good rest in the recovery room. I suggest you go with them, Ash and Laura." the nurse said, smiling nicely.

Ash turned to the orange haired girl.

"Listen, I'm sorry about your bike, but I'm gonna need time to make things right." Ash said, sadly.

"No way, I fell for that last time!" the orange haired girl shouted, getting up in his face.

Ash leaned way back and started to sweat.

"Oh well, you two should take care of your Pokemon now, and we'll settle up later." the girl said, peeved.

"Uh." Laura said.

"Okay?" Ash said, questioningly.

Then, an alarm was heard, as all the trainers turned their heads to the speakers. 

"Your attention please!" came the voice from before, revealing itself to be the cops voice. "Our Viridian City radar systems have spotted an aircraft belonging to a gang of Pokemon thieves. If you have a Pokemon in your possession, extra's are extreme!" the voice said, hanging up.

That wasn't good. And a moment later, there was a crash, as some glass from the ceiling fell, as well a two Pokeballs. When they hit the floor, two Pokemon were seen, a snake-like Pokemon, and a rock-like Pokemon, with gas flowing from the craters imbedded in it. The rock-like one had spread a bunch of smog across the room, and it was incredibly hard to see. But Laura couldn't risk anything. She put her hands on the sizzling hot incubator, and there was a burning sound, as her hands were soon red. It hurt wildly, but Laura held back the scream, as she let a couple tears fall. At least she was with Charmander. Suddenly, through the blurry teared up eyes of Laura, she could make out two silhouettes. They looked like teenagers, one with short hair, and one with outrageously long hair. 

"Who are they?" Ash asked, after coughing a couple times.

"Don't be frightened little boy." said a girl voice.

"Allow us to introduce ourselves." said a male voice.

"To protect the world from devastation." said the girl, as the smoke cleared to see her.

She had very long hotpink hair, that was curved at the end. She had pale skin, and she wore a lot of makeup. She wore a black belly shirt, with long black gloves, and a white jacket over, shorter than her belly shirt and all zipped up. It had an 'R' on it. She wore a short white skirt, and black boots, that here so long, they almost covered up her whole leg.

"To unite all peoples within our nation." said the male, as the smoke cleared from his point of view.

He wore something a lot like hers, with some different attire. He wore a black shirt as well, but it wasn't a belly shirt. His shirt was tucked into some baggy white jeans, that were tucked into blackouts, about the size that Gary was wearing earlier that day. He had a rose in his hand, which was also in rubber gloves. His jacket was about the exact same as the girls, but with longer sleeves.

"To denounce the evils of truth and love." the girl said again.

"To extend our reach to the stars above." the boy said, as the smog finally cleared. It must've just been for a dramatic entrance.

"Jessie." the girl said, apparently Jessie.

"James." the boy said, claiming to be James.

"Team Rocket, blast off at the speed of light!" Jessie shouted, as she struck a pose with her hand thrown to her side, and a fist in the air.

"Surrender now or prepare to fight." James said, as he held the rose up to his nose, before throwing it at Laura, as the thorns hit her nose.

"Meowth, that's right." said a talking cat Pokemon, as it held up two small paws to its face. 

Laura had almost fell asleep to their boring speech. She had gotten used to holding her hand on the incubator, so she quickly took it off, the pain returning to her hand, as the others looked at her beet red hand, bulging around from the burn. She mentally screamed at her hand, as the nurse took it.

"Don't worry! I'll get it treated!" she said, running into the critical care unit, getting supplies. Then the three turned their attention on Jessie, James, and the cat, which had given away that its name was probably Meowth.

Laura's hand was distracting her though, as she held her wrist, tears forming in her eyes. 

"We're here for the Pokemon." 

Ash put his hands on his partner, as Laura stepped in front of the incubator.

"You're not getting them!" Ash said, mad.

"We don't want your little Pikachu. The Charmander is rare to find in the wild though..." Jessie said, smirking as she pretended to reconsider. 

"No way!" Laura said, holding up a fist.

"You're starting to bug me." Ash said annoyed.

"Well look at that, the boy's bugged." James said with a smirk on his face.

"Koffing, attack!" James shouted, as Koffing let off a smog attack like before.

The nurse came back with an ice pack, water, and bandages, before she realized they were completely under attack. She handed the dish of water and ice pack to Laura, along with the bandages, and ran off, signaling for the others to follow. Laura would treat her wounds later. Right now, she had to get Charmander rolling. Ash pushed Pikachu's stretcher, and Laura pushed Charmander's, as they rolled them into a different room. Once they were there, Laura dipped her hand in the water, and the ice pack was played on it with her other. It started to cool off, as Laura hoped the burn wouldn't spread through the body. But soon, the power went out, and Laura could barely see. 

"Hey, the lights!" the orange haired girl shouted, worried.

"They must've cut the power." the nurse said, a she put her hands on the door, hoping the Pokemon wouldn't find them inside. "But we've got our own Pika Power source." the nurse said, as Laura looked at her questioningly.

Soon, Laura saw what she meant, as a couple lightning bolts flew to a small dome, that must've been another way to the lights. Laura saw a bunch of Pikachu running on a treadmill, and soon, the lights flickered back on. Laura took her hand out of the cold water, and carefully wrapped it around her hand.

"That burn will take a few days to heal. I told you not to touch it." the nurse said, disappointed in Laura.

"Whoa, look at all those Pikachu!" the orange haired girl said as her hands were plastered onto the glass around the Pikachu.

Suddenly, a computer started talking, and said something about sending Pokeballs to a different Pokemon Center.

"Quick, we have to save the Pokeballs!" the nurse shouted, as she started placing Pokeballs on a conveyor belt.

The Pokeballs went onto a small platform that was curved inward, helping to stop the Pokeball from moving. Then the Pokeball lit up in a fiery blue, and disappeared, probably what the nurse meant by saving the Pokeballs.

"This is the Viridian City Pokemon Center! We have a major emergency! Transporting all Pokeballs!" the nurse said into a computer, while typing away.

"This is the Pewter City Pokemon Center. Ready to receive Pokeballs." the computer said back.

Laura ran over and started pulling Pokeballs from the shelves they were on, and shoved them onto the conveyor belt. But Laura became worried when she saw some smog float in the room from the other side of the door. And the door broke open, as the Koffing dashed inside, smog everywhere. Some Pokeballs flew onto the ground as Laura, Ash, and the orange haired girl gasped.

"Hurry! Save the Pokeballs!" the nurse shouted, as Laura went back to work on trying to get all the Pokeballs to the Pokemon Center in Pewter City.

But Ash seemed a little cautious. He picked up a Pokeballs, sweating, and the the orange haired girl spoke up.

"This is war! Don't just hold it, throw it!" she shouted, making Ash worry.

"A-Alright! Pokeball, go!" Ash said, throwing the Pokeball.

It landed on the ground, and popped open, as a blue light shot from it, and the outline of a Pokemon appeared. Out came a Pidgey, the Pokemon that Ash and Laura first saw when they left Pallet Town. Then the snake-like Pokemon popped out of the smog, scaring the Pidgey to death, as it started to run away from the Pokemon. Soon, Jessie and James had appeared, and laughed at Pidgey being chased by the snake Pokemon.

"That silly thing can't beat us." Jessie said, snidely.

Ash returned the Pidgey, and set the Pokeball down, which Laura took and placed on the conveyor belt.

"No?" Ash asked, taking another Pokeball. "Try this one then! Pokeball, go!" Ash said, throwing the Pokeball.

When it landed on the ground, it popped open, but it opened, and all you could see was the inside of the Pokeball.

"Augh, empty?" Ash asked, disappointed.

"We're never gonna beat them that way!" said the orange haired girl.

"She's right." Laura said, as she put more Pokeballs onto the conveyor belt.

"Now you tell me..." Ash said. 

But he still picked up another Pokeball.

"This one's lucky, I know it...go Pokeball!" he shouted, tossing the Pokeball.

Now when the Pokeball reached the ground, it opened as a large blue light appeared, and out appeared the outline of a Rattata, which was a Pokemon that had scrounged in Ash's bag. Team Rocket smirked, and the snake Pokemon once again popped up and scared Rattata to death, chasing him around. Then the orange haired girl stepped in with a Pokeball of her own in her hand.

"I guess I'm gonna have to take this into my own hands. You two grab Pikachu and Charmander, and get out of here. I'll take care of these three clowns." the orange haired girl said, smirking.

Ash, Laura, and the nurse just stared.

"That's pretty big talk coming from such a little lady." Jessie said, her hands at her sides.

"At least you're right about the pretty part. Thanks for the compliment." the orange haired girl said, the Pokeball still in her hand.

"The girl thinks she's pretty." James said, still smirking.

"I agree with her." Jessie said. "I think she's pretty too. Pretty pathetic." Jessie continued, making the orange haired girl glare at her.

"Oh, I'll show you! Pokeball go!" she shouted, growling.

When the Pokeball hit the ground, it opened, and a beam of blue light flew from it. A fish like silhouette appeared in front of them. It flopped around, as it said the word, "Goldeen" multiple times. Jessie and James saw it, and they almost looked scared of it. Then, the orange haired girl returned the Goldeen, which confused everyone greatly.

"That's her best shot?" Jessie said, folding her arms.

"She's all washed up." James said, folding his arms as well.

"We all know very well that water types can't battle on land. I was just warming up." Misty said.

"Warming up?" Ash and Laura said at the same time, tilting their heads.

"Just get the Pokemon out of here!" Misty whisper-shouted, as she turned her head to the two trainers.

"Right." Ash said, as he took Pikachu's stretcher.

Laura took Charmander's stretcher, and the two trainers raced from the room, as the nurse continued to send the Pokeballs to Pewter City.

Laura and Ash were now running through the halls, followed by Koffing and the snake, which kept saying, "Ekans". It took a while to get to the front of the Pokemon Center, but they did it. But Ash took an abrupt stop, which made Laura accidentally crash into him. The both fell back, and Laura saw the orange haired girls bike sitting right in the middle of the lobby, which must've made Ash fall. Laura quickly got up, to see Pikachu who had woken up, and Charmander, who looked all but hurt in anyway. He even through the hot incubator off himself, wondering what was going on. 

"Oh, thank goodness, Charmander!" Laura said, hugging the little Pokemon, who was still warm from the incubator, but not super hot.

Pikachu then let out a "Pika pika!" as the Pikachu's who had given the Pokemon Center their "Pika Power" jumped over the glass to help Pikachu regain health. They all piled up on top of him, and there was a large electric shock going on, like they were giving Pikachu the biggest Pikachu hug ever. Then, the electricity that started coming off their body traveled all the way to Team Rocket, who had made their way over there as fast as possible. They were screaming like crazy, as their bodies lit up. When the electricity stopped, Ash's Pikachu arose from the pile, looking as happy as ever, with the head band still on his head. 

"Pikachu!" Ash shouted, a big smile on his face.

Team Rocket was paralyzed, and covered in soot. Then Meowth, the talking cat came up.

"Do I have to do everything myself? That mouse is coming with Meowth. Pikachu! You're mine!" Meowth said, as it slowly crept up to them.

Ash started to sweat, an angry look on its face as he backed away. But Pikachu turned to Ash.

"Pika pika!" it said, as if it were trying to tell Ash something.

"Pika pika?" Ash asked, confused.

"Pika pika!" Laura shouted, understanding what Pikachu was trying to do. "Pika Pika Power!" 

"Pika Pika Power?" Ash asked.

Pikachu nodded at Ash, as he now understood. 

"You want more power!" Ash shouted. 

He then raced over to the red haired girls bike, and flipped it so it was standing up. But truly, it was upside down. Ash stood, while peddling, and holding onto the tire for balance. 

"What's this?" Meowth asked, as he stopped in his tracks.

"Let's just say, me and Pikachu are going to generate a little electricity for you, Meowth." Ash said, a determined look on his face.

Ash was peddling so fast about now, that the light on the bike started to get brighter. 

"Uh oh." James said, as Jessie gasped.

Meowth looked the worst of all. Pikachu hopped off of the stretcher, and onto the front of the bike. Electricity had now outlined its body, as it let off the most dangerous electric attack, that Laura had just barely run from with Charmander in her arms. So instead it directed to Jessie, James, Meowth, Koffing, and Ekans, the snake-like Pokemon. It was like an endless shock fest, one person after another getting shocked. Until Koffing decided to make matters worse. The smog that came from Koffing got caught on with electricity, and that's when the place blew up. You would've thought no one survived, but to be honest, everyone just blacked out.

...

Laura woke up the next morning, with Charmander, who had slept peacefully. Ash was already awake, with the orange haired girl. They seemed to be waiting for Laura.

"I never properly introduced myself, sleepy head." the orange haired said, as she walked over to Laura.

"Huh?" Laura asked, looking up and rubbing her head.

"I'm Misty." the orange haired girl said, as she held out a hand. "I thought it'd be important to know, big shot." Misty said, trying to make fun of Laura.

So Laura stood up, and they left for their adventures to come, which was in a forest. The forest they were in was very large as the three trainers walked through. Then, out of nowhere, Misty had screamed. She then grabbed onto Ash's shoulder, and hid behind his back.

"What's wrong?" Laura asked, putting a hand on her own side.

"Look, over there." she said shaking, closing her eyes.

Laura and Ash looked over at the thing she was talking about. It looked like a green caterpillar, with big eyes. Laura shivered, but she didn't scream.

"C-Certain bugs are okay, b-but caterpillars freak me out!" she said, jumping behind Misty.

"Cool! it's a Caterpie, one of the bug Pokemon!" Ash said, excited.

"Even if it is a Pokemon, bugs are disgusting!" Misty said, which made Laura change her tone.

"Nuh uh. Bugs are okay. It's just caterpillars that I'm scared of." Laura said, putting her hands on her hips.

"Alright you two scaredy cats, stand back." Ash said, as he grabbed for a Pokeball. "This one's a piece of cake."

Ash kind of stood in front of Caterpie with a Pokeball in hand, hoping not to startle it.

He then flipped his hat around, and threw the Pokeball, with a triumphant, "Pokeball, go!"

The Pokeball flew at a rapid pace, and hit the Caterpie on the forehead, and the Caterpie bounced back a little, as the Pokeball opened, sucking it inside. The Pokeball wiggled as Ash, Misty, Laura, Pikachu, and Charmander stood there, watching the Pokeball wiggle back and forth. Laura actually sweat a bit. But there was a soothing sound, that made the tense group loosen up, as the red light in the center disappeared, and the Pokeball stopped moving. Ash's determined frown turned into a surprised look. And the surprised look soon turned into a big smile, and he started shouting.

"Yes! I did it!" he shouted, running over to the Pokeball and picked it up, looking at it triumphantly. "I got Caterpie!" 

Laura smiled at his enthusiastic attitude. 

"I did it all by myself! I caught my first Pokemon! This is my first step on becoming the number one Pokemon master in the whole world!" Ash said, dashing around Laura and Misty. 

He suddenly linked his arm into Laura's, and linked his other arm into Misty's. He started running around, striking the surprise of Laura and Misty.

"Hey, let go of me kid!" Misty said, as she struggled to keep up with Ash.

Laura was a bit awed at how Ash had wrapped his arm around hers, but it didn't take too long for her to catch up. This went on for a little while, until Ash got control of himself and stopped. But that didn't stop his bragging.

"Ash, you're acting like a-" Misty started, but Ash cut her off.

"Inside this Pokeball is the very first Pokemon I ever caught in my whole entire life!" Ash said, shoving the ball in front of Misty and Laura.

Misty looked at the Pokeball, like if it touched her she'd have cancer. However, Laura didn't seem to mind the Pokeball.

"Okay, just keep it away from me, will ya?" Misty said, as she shook around, and put her hands up to block the Pokeball.

"You're not afraid of an itty bitty Caterpie in a Pokeball, are you?" Ash said, sticking it up to her tauntingly.

Laura smirked, and started to giggle a bit.

"Bugs get me all bugged out! Even when they're in a Pokeball. Just keep it away!" Misty said, squirming, before yelling in Ash's face and turning the other way, so her back was faced towards him.

"C'mon Misty, it isn't even near you. It's concealed into a small capsule." Laura said, putting a hand on her hip, and leaning her weight on one of her legs.

"So what! It's still a bug, and it's disgusting!" Misty said, getting up in Laura's face.

Laura started to sweat a little, before turning to Ash.

"You should probably stop taunting her. She obviously doesn't like your new friend." Laura said, a bit scared of Misty at the moment.

"I like bugs, even when they're in a Pokeball. It must be all warm in cozy in there for Caterpie. All cute and comfortable for him. I love my new little Pokemon." Ash said, rubbing his cheek against the Pokeball.

"A little weird, Ash. A little weird." Laura said to Ash, making him stop, as some sweat trickled down his face.

Misty however, looked extremely annoyed with Ash's new Caterpie.

"I guess it takes a worm to love a worm." Misty said, glaring from behind her back.

"Hey! I'm not a worm, you are! And I don't love Ash! I mean, I do as a friend, but not like that!" Laura said, getting a bit nervous.

Ash looked at Laura, awkwardly. Misty turned around, glaring at Laura, with her face red. "

Not you and Ash! Ash and his new bug!" Misty shouted, making Laura fall to the ground in fright. 

Laura's face burned bright red, as she should've been able to interpret what Misty meant. How stupid was Laura?

"Pikachu! We've got a new friend!" Ash said, as he bent down, and showed Pikachu the Pokeball.

Pikachu jumped in excitement, and Charmander walked over to check it out, being just as excited as Pikachu.

"Oh, Pikachu, Charmander, I'm glad you two like it! And from now on we'll catch a whole bunch of new friends!" Ash said.

"Hold up, I need some new Pokemon too!" said Laura, stepping up to him. "Me and charmander won't be able to battle gyms on our own."

"I know, I know. You can have the next one!" Ash said, glaring at her.

Laura rolled her eyes, before looking at him. 

"Okay. Thanks." she said, a bit awkwardly.

"Anyways, Caterpie's sticking with us!" Ash said, looking at his Pokeball triumphantly.

Misty jumped a little, before slowly turning her head around.

"Does that mean..." Misty said, not being able to finish before Laura jumped behind her.

"Caterpie, come out!" Ash said, throwing Caterpie's Pokeball onto the ground.

Misty immediately ran about six yards away, and hid behind a tree, shivering. Laura wasn't that scared of Caterpie, but she was scared enough to grab Ash's shoulders and hide behind him as he walked towards Caterpie. 

"C'mon guys, there's nothing to be scared of." Ash said, walking up to his new bug Pokemon. "C'mon Caterpie, climb upon my shoulder." Ash said, as he knelt down and held out a hand for Caterpie to climb on. 

Caterpie nodded, and inched its way towards Ash, but stopped short and looked up, spotting Misty, who was watching it from a distance. Then Caterpie went crazy, striking the surprise of Ash, Laura, Misty, and Charmander.

"Hey Caterpie, come back!" Ash shouted.

But Caterpie didn't listen, and soon, Misty shrieked, as Caterpie rubbed its head up against her ankle. Laura thought about just how cute it was, and she said to Misty, "It looks like you have a new friend too." 

"Get this disgusting bug away from me!" Misty shouted, as she fell to the ground.

Caterpie looked surprised, and so did Charmander and Pikachu. 

"You think Caterpie's disgusting?" Ash and Laura said at the same time.

Caterpie looked utterly defeated, as Pikachu and Charmander quickly came over to comfort the Pokemon. Sure, Laura was scared of caterpillars, but she didn't think they were disgusting. Just creepy. 

"I know!" Misty said, picking up Pikachu. "You two can be friends with that creepy bug, and I'll play with Pikachu!" 

"I'll pass, thanks." Laura said quickly, hiding behind Ash again.

Ash only smirked at Misty.

"Pikachu only likes me and Laura, and he'll shock anyone who touches him and-" Ash said, before being interrupted, but not by words.

Misty was petting Pikachu, and Pikachu was smiling and giggling, striking the anger of Ash.

"Pikachu..." Ash growled under his breath, making Laura giggle.

But Caterpie had gotten extremely sad. It's eyes got big and teary, and it immediately ran over to Laura, rubbing against her leg, as the tears came crumbling down. Laura froze for a minute, scared out of her mind. But nothing terrible happened, like she thought a caterpillar would do. So she slowly bent down, picked it up, and hugged it. It was actually very small, and cute. Laura never noticed it, so she must've overlooked it. 

"Caterpie seems to like you too, Laura!" Ash said, smiling.

Laura had to admit, she liked Caterpie now.

"I guess I never realized, but I like it too." she said, petting it's back a bit. 

The bug stopped squirming, so it must've stopped crying. Laura held the bug out in front of her. It still looked sad, but tears weren't spewing out of it's eyes.

"It's alright." Laura said, giving him an encouraging smile.

Then she handed Caterpie to Ash, who took him, and put him on his shoulder.

"You won't scare Misty anymore." said Ash looking at Caterpie.

Misty paused for a minute. 

"What do you mean he won't scare me?" Misty said a disgusted look on her face. Laura was quite confused too.

When Ash spoke next, he didn't even direct his voice towards Misty.

"We'll go on without her. C'mon, Laura and Pikachu." Ash said, strutting off with Caterpie on his shoulder.

Pikachu wiggled out of Misty's arms, and hopped after Ash, who was quickly followed by Laura and Charmander. Laura heard Misty say something as they left, but then, she was out of earshot. After a few minutes of walking and talking, Pikachu started pointing back down the path, which Laura looked at, and she saw Misty, following them. Misty then saw Laura looking, and ducked behind a tree. Ash then turned around.

"What is it?" he asked.

"Misty's following us." Laura said, clearing up Pikachu's signals.

"What're you following us for?" Ash shouted, annoyed. 

There was a short pause.

"M-My bike! I'm holding you two responsible for my bike!" Misty shouted, sweating.

"When're you gonna get over that dumb thing." Ash responded.

"For your information Mr. Pokemon Master, your the dumb one! If you two hadn't destroyed it in the first place, I would've been out of here by now!" Misty shouted.

"Sure." Laura said sarcastically. "We told you we'd make up for your bike one day anyway!"

"And if we're so dumb, how come you're still following me?!" Ash shouted.

"I'm not following you this happens to be the fastest way through the woods!" Misty snorted.

"Sure." Laura stated again.

"Fine, do whatever you want. C'mon, let's go." Ash grabbed Laura's wrist, and turned around, pulling her behind him. However, Laura didn't question his motives.

"Well that's exactly what I'm doing!" Misty retorted with a scowl.

Pikachu and Charmander stopped in their tracks, shaking their heads to one another in disapproval of the children's actions.

...

Laura, Ash, Misty, Pikachu, Caterpie, and Charmander were all huddled around a campfire, setting up sleeping bags for the night. Laura's was close to the fire, because of the heat, and Ash's was right next to hers. Misty's was on the other side of a tree stump, which was further away from the fire. Laura was humming as she was getting changed behind some trees. She came out wearing her pajamas from the night before she started her journey. When she walked out of the bushes, barefoot, everyone was starting to snuggle into their sleeping bags. Laura had a black one, which she slipped into as well, her backpack as a pillow, like Ash. She squirmed a little, getting warm, and then called Charmander over to sleep with her. He cuddled inside, and popped his head and tail out, cuddling next to Laura in preparation for sleep.

"Well, we better get some sleep. Tomorrow's gonna be a big day." Ash said, staring up at the sky.

"You said it." Laura spoke, her eyelids getting a bit droopy.

"Well we'd all get to sleep if you'd both shut your big mouths!" Misty said, turning over in her sleeping bag.

"Don't let the bed bugs bite!" Ash said, mockingly.

"Both of you, shut up." Laura said.

They both gave little "hmph" remarks, before rolling over on their sides, Ash facing Laura, and Misty facing the trees of the forest.

Before long, all three trainers were asleep, and that's how it stayed, until morning.

...

Everyone awoke to a high pitched scream. Laura immediately slipped out of her sleeping bag and jumped up, Charmander as well. Ash, however, looked like a caterpillar still in his sleeping bag.

"What's wrong?!" Laura shouted, mad to be awoken so early.

"What is that thing doing sleeping near me?!" Misty shouted.

Laura turned and saw Caterpie, and Laura immediately spoke up.

"That 'thing' is a sweet Pokemon! Quit downing on him!" Laura shouted, getting upset. 

Ash laughed, taking a much different tone.

"Caterpie just wants to be your friend." he said, smiling.

Misty lifted her head up. 

"If that thing wants to be my friend it can stop bugging me already!" Misty shouted.

Laura stomped over to Misty, until their noses were touching.

"You may have an opinion, and you may want to share it, but if it's gonna break someone's heart, then shut your mouth!" Laura said, starting with a slight growl, then having it grow into a yell.

Misty shuddered, then quickly nodded, and Laura realized how harsh she was. She started sweating. Then she shook her head, and gave a frown.

"Sorry, but it's true." Laura continued, shrugging.

Caterpie, no matter what, still felt entirely offended. His eyes watered, and he inched his way back to his pokeball. It pressed the button, and disappeared inside.

"Caterpie! Come back!" Ash shouted, as he looked worried for his friend.

"Misty, you should really apologize." Laura said, as she crossed her arms to Misty.

"Yeah! Pokemon have feelings too you know." Ash continued.

Misty however, closed her eyes, turned her back to them, and crossed her arms. She made a 'hmph' sound as she did so.

"Don't you worry Caterpie. Someday we'll show her." Ash said, as he went over to the Pokeball Caterpie confined himself in.

Laura walked over and tapped the button on the Pokeball. It opened, but Caterpie didn't come out. There was just a red mist inside. So Laura closed it. Misty looked away, a little guiltily.

"Serves you right!" shouted an angry Laura.

Then there was a strange sound. A flapping. Ash, Misty, and Laura looked up, and saw a bird flying down. It had a red head piece, and it looked similar to a large Pidgey. It flew right in between the group, and landed in some nearby grass. Laura thought about catching it, and took out an empty Pokeball. However, Ash had already started running up to it.

"Wow, a Pidgeoto!" he said. 

Laura put her Pokeball back. Pidgeoto was the evolved form of Pidgey, and Laura wanted to catch first evolution Pokemon. Ash took out his Pokedex, and it started to talk.

"Pidgeoto: the evolved form of the Pidgey. it is armed with sharp claws and dives from the sky to capture its prey. Unlike the more gentle Pidgey, Pidgeoto can be dangerous. Approach with extreme caution.

"Alright Pidgeoto, I'll show you who's the dangerous one around here." Ash said, as he grabbed a Pokeball, and supersized it.

He got ready to throw, but before he could, Laura grabbed his wrist, and whispered in his ear.

"You need to weaken it otherwise it'll get away." she said in a quiet tone.

"Oh, right..." Ash said, sweating a bit.

Ash picked up the Pokeball on the stump, and threw it out.

"Go Caterpie!"

"Ash, no!" Laura shouted.

But it was too late. the Caterpie appeared, and was going to get eaten alive. Even Misty, Charmander, and Pikachu gasped. It was bad.

"You don't have any idea of the mistake you just made, do you?!" shouted Misty, angrily.

Ash sweated a bit. 

"Did I do something wrong?"

"It's a worm and a bird! Caterpie is going to die!" Said Laura.

Laura immediately ran out to Caterpie, scooping him up. Pidgeoto started to peck at Laura, who was running away from it with Caterpie. Charmander was trying to chase after the Pidgeoto, and the whole thing turned into a hot mess. Ash gasped, not sure what to do. Caterpie tried to turn around and do something, but just the sight of the Pidgeoto made him hide back into Laura's arms. 

"Call Caterpie back!" Misty said.

"Caterpie, return!" Ash said. 

Caterpie was sucked into the Pokeball. Now the only problem was, that Pidgeoto was still chasing Laura, who was running away like a mad man. Charmander, tired of running, had flopped onto the ground next to Pikachu.

"Go, Pikachu!" said Ash, pointing to the Pidgeoto. 

Pikachu obeyed, and dashed out onto the field, where the Pidgeoto was chasing Laura. 

"Pikachu! Thundershock, now!" Ash shouted.

Pikachu's cheeks lit up, but it didn't shoot. It must've been waiting for the right time to shock Pidgeoto, without hurting Laura. Thundershock hit the Pidgeoto, but it also hit Laura. Pikachu stopped as soon as Laura yelled, and Pidgeoto was flat on his face. Ash threw a pokeball, and Pidgeoto went inside. The Pokeball fell to the ground, and it shook for a few minutes. Then it stopped. Laura, flat on the ground, tired from running and being hit by electricity, closed her eyes, as tears fell. She didn't want to cry, but she felt absolutely awful. Not only did her burn from before ache, but her whole body did because of her falling and recent electrical shock. Ash ran over to Laura, and helped her up, Misty in quick pursuit.

"Are you okay?" asked Misty, as Laura coughed a little.

"Fine." she said, as she wiped away the invisible tears.

While Misty cared for Laura, Ash an over to his Pokeball, rejoicing about his new bird Pokemon.

"I'm the greatest!" Ash said, as he walked up to Misty, and showed off his new Pokemon.

"You're the worst!" she said. "You have no idea what your doing! It'll be a long time until you're a Pokemon master! Like a million years! Plus, you left Laura in the dust when your Pikachu shocked her hard! Did you forget about her burn?!"

Ash sighed.

"Sorry Laura. But I'm trying to-"

"You should try to learn something about Pokemon first!" Misty interjected. "When it comes to Pokemon you have to use strategy."

"She's right. Caterpie's a worm, and Pidgeoto's a bird. Birds devour worms. That could've been major." Laura said, as she crossed her arms.

"Well, if you try hard enough things will work out, right?" Ash said, sweating.

"No, Ash, things won't just work if you try hard enough!" Misty said, as she took a stomp forward. "A Pokemon trainer's judgement is more important than anything else! And unfortunately for you, that trainer has to have a brain!"

Laura grabbed Misty's arms, and started to restrain her from physically hurting Ash, who had started sweating. As Misty tried to break from Laura's grasp, the group of three heard a witch like cackle.

"So, we meet again?" said a man's voice.

"I know that voice!" Ash said.

"It's Team Rocket!" Laura said, as she ran to Charmander, and picked him up.

She held him close, not daring to give him up. The silhouettes of Team Rocket were the only things the three could see. Jessie started.

"To protect the world from devastation."

"To unite all peoples within our nation."

"To denounce the evils of truth and love."

"To extend our reach to the stars above."

"Jessie."

"James."

"Team Rocket, blast off at the speed of light!" 

"Surrender now or prepare to fight!" 

"Meowth, that's right!" Meowth finished.

"Not again." Ash said worriedly.

"Charmander will beat 'em. Right?" Laura said, looking at Charmander with a determined look. 

Charmander nodded.

"We're a little busy now, so could you-" Ash started.

"Quiet, little boy. We're not here to listen to you. We're here to get both your Pokemon!" Jessie said.

"Hand over the Pikachu and Charmander." James said, pointing to the Pokemon.

"Hey, this is my Pikachu, go find your own!" Ash hollered.

"They only want your Pikachu and my Charmander. They're weird like that!" Laura said, glaring at Team Rocket.

"We aren't weird. We want the rare. That's all we go for." James said.

"Giovanni will be pleased when we show him your Pokemon." Jessie said.

Meowth glared at his trainers, and scratched them in the face. A lot.

"Are our Pokemon really that special?" Ash asked, his eyes wide.

"What can I say, we're cool." said Laura, smirking at Ash.

"Your guys' Pokemon impressed even me. I really got a kick out of the power they put together. They created the best attack the last time we met. Their powers exceeded their evolutionary level! Your Pokemon-" Meowth said.

But he was cut off when Jessie and James started to stomp on him.

"Now you're the one giving away all our secrets!" Jessie scolded.

"Shut up before you tell them everything!" James said.

Laura couldn't help but stifle a laugh.

"Cut it out!" Meowth said.

"Make things easy and hand over your Pokemon!" Jessie said, after regaining composure.

Ash turned his head away.

"Forget it!" Ash said.

Laura glared at him, and walked over to him, pulled his ear to her mouth, and whispered,

"You don't say that, you say okay, and then you attack! Element of surprise!"

Laura let go of his ear, as Team Rocket spoke. They took out their own Pokeballs.

"You leave us no choice. Pokemon battle! Ekans go!" Jessie shouted, throwing her Pokeball.

At the same time, James threw his.

"Koffing, go get them!" he said.

Their Pokeballs opened, and out appeared two Pokemon, the ones from two nights ago. Unfortunately, I never explained their looks. The first one, Ekans, was a snake, and it was coated in a light purple. It had yellow eyes, and a yellow ring around its neck. The rattle at the end of it's tail was also yellow. The second Pokemon, Koffing, was a lighter purple shade, and it looked like a moon. It was floating in the air, and it had lot's of craters. There always seemed to be a strange mucky air flowing from the craters. There was a toxic sign around it's middle.

"Hey, two against one is cheating!" Ash shouted.

"Actually, it's two against two! I'm still here!" Laura said, stepping up. "Let's go, Charmander!" 

Charmander got into a fighting stance, ready to battle.

"Koffing, sludge attack on Pikachu!" James ordered.

Unfortunately, Ash wasn't paying much attention and Pikachu was squirted in the eyes with mud, unable to see. Pikachu tried to wipe off the sludge, but it didn't work too well. Ash picked Pikachu up, and held him close.

"If you think you can use your dirty tricks to beat me, you're wrong!" he said.

"Charmander, use Ember on Koffing!" Laura shouted.

Charmander breathed in, and shot out fire, which hit Koffing and his smoke. There was a small explosion, and Koffing was on the floor, fainted. 

"Awesome!" Laura said, as she pumped a fist. 

However, the only reason it knocked him out, was because of the smoke and fire connection. 

"Koffing, return." James said, calling back the fainted Pokemon.

"Laura!" Ash called out. "Take Pikachu! Don't let those thieves get him!"

Ash walked to Laura and placed the Pikachu in her arms. She held him tight, and nodded.

"He'll be safe with me." Laura said.

Ash took out another Pokeball, and threw it. It landed on the ground, and out shot a red light. Then, in front of the group there stood the bird Pokemon, Pidgeoto. Pidgeoto immediately took flight, and dove into the air.

"Ekans! Go get your dinner!" Jessie shouted. 

The snake bounced around, trying to trap the bird in his mouth, but Pidgeoto dodged each attack.

"Pidgeoto, quick attack!" Ash shouted.

"Charmander, Scratch!" Laura commanded.

Both Pokemon started into action.

"Ekans, go underground!" Jessie said.

The same immediately dove into the earth, becoming hidden from everyone.

"Charmander, run around and confuse it!" Laura commanded.

Charmander ran around a lot. But Ekans shot out of the ground, ramming right into Charmander, and throwing it by Laura. Then Ekans went after Pidgeoto, and as much as Pidgeoto tried to dodge the attacks, Ekans hit it right from behind, knocking Pidgeoto to the ground. That happened a few times, actually. Then Ash took out a Pokeball.

"Pidgeoto, return!" Ash commanded. 

A red beam shot from the Pokeball and engulfed Pidgeoto, as it reentered the Pokeball. Ash couldn't contain his anger, and ran up to Team Rocket, in a charge.

"Ash!" Laura called.

But Ash didn't stop. He ran right up to James, but with one hand, James stopped Ash from going any farther. And with a flick of James' finger, Ash had tumbled to the ground. 

"Charmander, use Ember!" Laura demanded.

Charmander shot flames at Ekans, who took some damage.

"Ekans, use wrap!" Jessie ordered.

"Dodge!" Laura commanded. 

Charmander dodged, and then used scratch on Ekans, who endured the attack.

"Bite him." Jessie said.

Ekans slithered to Charmander, and bit his stomach. Charmander winced as Ekans carried him in it's mouth. 

"Charmander, Scratch!" Laura commanded. Charmander scratched at Ekans' eye, and got a direct hit. 

Ekans dropped Charmander from pain, and slithered away. Charmander tried to stand, even though it was pierced badly in the stomach.

"Stay strong Charmander." Laura said.

But Charmander fell to the ground. Laura dashed over and picked him up. 

"It' okay, I'll heal you somehow." Laura said.

Laura looked at the bandage on her hand, while Ash and Team Rocket shouted insults at each other. She then put Pikachu on her shoulder. She unwrapped the bandage, and looked at the burn on her hand, which was healing. She wrapped the bandage around Charmander's stomach twice, and pressed on the edges so it would stick. The weak Charmander smiled at his trainer, and climbed onto her shoulder, moving his tail so he wouldn't burn her hair. Laura looked at Pikachu in her arms, who was struggling and urging to fight.

"Pikachu, you can't see, and this is only your second battle. You can't fight." Laura said, as she cradled the Pikachu.'

Ash had grabbed a new Pokeball from his belt.

"I know you're weak from battling Pidgeoto, but now, Caterpie, you're our only hope. Caterpie, go!" Ash said.

He threw the Pokeball, and it landed on the ground. It opened up, and out appeared the green caterpillar. He looked weak, and he was breathing heavily when he appeared.

"What's that?" asked James.

"It's a bug! A measly little bug!" Meowth said.

Team Rocket looked on in shock, and then started laughing. Laura growled.

"You show them Caterpie. You're much more than what people see you as." Laura growled under her breath. 

The battered up Ekans hissed at Caterpie. Caterpie felt afraid, and started to shake. He let out a yelp, and curled up in a ball. Ekans started to slither over, still hissing. Pikachu started to squirm again, wanting to help fight.

"No, Pikachu." Laura said under her breath.

Ash looked puzzled, as if trying to think of an idea. Suddenly, his eyes lit up.

"Caterpie, String Shot!" Ash called.

Caterpie uncurled out of its ball, and sprayed a sticky web at Ekans' head. The head was all wrapped up, and Ekans couldn't see. Laura started to worry about Ekans' breathing, but his chest, if you could call it that, still rose. Caterpie then started dashing over to Ekans, and headbutted it, sending it flying. Laura was surprised a Caterpie had so much strength.

Incredible. she thought.

"Beaten by a Caterpie?!" James said sadly.

"That really bugs me." Jessie said.

"Look at that, the girl is bugged." Laura said, mocking Jessie's comment from two nights ago.

Jessie growled, and Meowth stepped up.

"Now watch a real Pokemon in action." he said, as he sharpened his claws in front of Caterpie.

However, Caterpie wasn't scared. In fact, it engulfed Meowth with it's String Shot. Meowth tumbled, trying to get out of it, but he couldn't. He looked like a statue. James and Jessie ran over, and picked up Meowth.

"It's time Team Rocket blasted off." Jessie said.

Then they zoomed in a hurry.

"You may have won this round, but we'll be back!" James shouted as he ran.

"Come back anytime, and we'll be glad to beat you!" Misty shouted, sticking her tongue out at them.

Laura looked at Charmander. 

"You were awesome out there, buddy!" she said, smiling at him.

"Char!" Charmander chirped happily.

"We did it." Ash said. "We did it! We won our first Pokemon battle!" Ash said.

He ran over to Laura and hugged her.

"I can't believe we won!" he said, before getting out of the hug.

Caterpie was breathing heavily, but Laura could tell by the look on his face that he was happy. Ash walked over to Caterpie and picked him up.

"Caterpie, I'm very proud of you. You really did your best and we won because of you!" Ash said.

"You're stronger than you look Caterpie!" Misty said.

"You really showed them! I knew it!" Laura said.

"Pika!"

"Char Char!"

Caterpie smiled joyfully and made a happy chirp.

"Hey Misty. You said Caterpie was strong, right? Why don't you two make up?" Ash said, holding out Caterpie to her.

"Yeah, Misty." Laura said.

"Just pat Caterpie on the head and say thanks for a really great job." Ash said

Misty shivered a little.

"You like Pokemon, so it's right to congratulate one for doing a good job."

"I-I guess you're right." Misty stuttered.

She held out a shaky hand to Caterpie, and when she was about to touch him, Caterpie shot a burst of webs out. Misty screamed and jumped back. Charmander covered his ears, and Laura covered Pikachu's. 

Does Caterpie not like Misty anymore? Laura thought.

"Caterpie?" Ash asked, confused.

He set Caterpie on the ground, and it encased itself with the webs.

"What?" asked Ash.

"Maybe it's healing itself." Laura suggested.

"It's evolving!" Misty exclaimed.

"Whoa, really?" Laura said, looking from Misty to Caterpie.

She set Pikachu on the ground, after washing off the mud covering his eyes, and kneeled on the ground as well, looking at the cute caterpillar.

"Caterpie, this is so great!" Ash exclaimed, as Caterpie disappeared from sight.

As the webbing disappeared, a hard green structure with eyes appeared. It was about the size of two Caterpie's on top of each other, and it had indent lines on it. Ash took out his Pokedex, and opened it up, scanning the Pokemon before him.

"Metapod, Caterpie's next stage. It has encased it's body in a hard shell. This specimen reached it's next stage faster than any Pokemon of its variety."

"Hey, maybe that means it can keep on changing and go onto the next stage right away!" Ash said, Pokedex still in hand.

"Ash, try not to rush it. Caterpie- I mean Metapod, will evolve when he's ready." Laura said, petting Charmander's head.

Ash nodded to Laura, and bent down, picking up Metapod.

"Nice to meet you Metapod. Not in the mood to talk?" he said, laughing.

Laura smiled at Ash and Metapod.

Ash really does care for his Pokemon. He's a good person. Laura thought, as she stared.

Misty was staring too.

"I've never known anyone like him. He really does love Pokemon." Misty murmured under her breath.

Ash held Metapod up to Misty's face, and she screamed and stepped away. Laura started to laugh at her current expression.

"Misty, you two were just about to make friends. You didn't forget did you?" Ash said, smirking.

Misty gave a weak smile.

"I-I didn't forget it, I-" Misty started.

In the middle of her sentence, a Beedrill flew by. Beedrill is a Pokemon that looks like a very large bee, however, it has stingers on its hands. She shrieked, before saying,

"I'll do anything as long as we get out of this forest!"

Ash, with Pikachu behind him and Metapod in his backpack, ran by both girls in excitement.

"No way! There's still plenty more Pokemon in this forest!" Ash said, before running away again.

"Ash! I get the next Pokemon! I only have one and me and Charmander need friends!" Laura said, running after him in a hurry.

"Hey! Wait for me!" Misty shouted, running after both of them.

"C'mon, we've got lots of Pokemon to catch!" Ash said.

He grabbed Laura's wrist as he said this, helping to pull her along the path, and they all ran down the path.

Misty shrieked, and a few birds flew from the trees. She climbed to the top of a tree, and hung from the branch.

"Ooh! I call catching it!" said Laura, as she got a Pokeball ready.

"Maybe it's a-" Ash started, before pausing.

"'Cow' terpie!" he continued, shrugging with a smile on his face.

The tree branch Misty was on broke, and Laura fell over at the terrible joke. Ash started laughing while Misty started to scold him on how it wasn't funny. Then, a caterpillar with a horn on its head, and tiny pink feet with a pink nose squirmed up.  It was Weedle. Weedle is a small larva Pokémon with a segmented body ranging in color from yellow to reddish-brown

"A Weedle!" Ash exclaimed, taking out his Pokedex.

"I call it!" said Laura, as she immediatley sent Charmander at the Pokemon. "Use Ember!"

Charmander shot some flames at it, making it fall over. It then shot it's stinger from it's head at Charmander, who barely dodged it. Then the Weedle regrew its horn. While Laura battled, Ash took out his Pokedex and scanned the Pokemon.

"Weedle. The stinger on this Pokemon's head guarantees that any attacker will get the point right where it hurts." The Pokedex said.

"A stinger, huh? Laura will have trouble." Ash said.

"Why are you so excited about a bug with a stinger?! Make it go away!" Misty screeched.

After a few more seconds of battle, Laura threw a Pokeball. It shook for a while, but after a few moments, it stopped shaking. Laura started to grin. She immediatley ran to her Pokeball, and picked it up.

"I got a Weedle! It's my first Pokemon ever!" she kept saying.

Laura was as happy as she'd ever been. Ash walked over to look at the Pokeball with her. Then she sent out the Pokemon. Misty immediatley ran away as she saw it. She just vanished, but Laura was sure she would be back.

"Hey little guy." Laura said, petting his head.

Ash pet his back, and the little Weedle felt calm under their pets. But the pampering of Weedle soon stopped, when a high male voice started to speak behind them.

"Greetings. Do you two happen to be the Pokemon Trainers from Pallet Town?" he asked.

Laura turned around. There was a kid, probably eleven or twelve, standing in a Samurai suit, with a sword on his belt. He wore wooden sandals, and his Samurai headset covered his eyes. He had a bug net on his back. 

"Yeah, that's us." Laura said, as she carried the Weedle in her arms, Charmander at her feet. 

"I have found you at last." he said, as he started to draw his sword. 

Laura gaped at the sword, and sweat a bit. Then, Ash and Laura heard Misty.

"Ash! Laura!" she shouted, running to them as fast as she could. 

But the boy in the Samurai suit had already drawn his sword above his head, as if to bring it down on the two trainers. Laura backed away, pulling Ash's collar so he wouldn't get hit. But Laura stumbled, and pulled Ash to the ground along with her. The sword stopped, centimeters away from their noses.

"That sword doesn't scare me." Ash stated, nervously. "There's no way you're stealing my Pokemon."

"I am no Pokemon thief." said the boy.

"Who are you then?" asked Misty.

Suddenly, his eyes had shown, as light filled his helmet.

He touched the tip of his sword.

"I am Samurai! I am also cool, fearless, and completely invincible in combat." The boy, Samurai, messed with his sword, which wasn't real because of the way it wiggled. "I have been searching the forest for you two."

Samurai put his fake sword back into it's holder.

"What do you want from us?" Ash asked.

"A Pokemon match! Let us see who triumphs." Samurai said, as he took out a Pokeball and held it out. "Ladies first." He turned to Laura.

Laura looked at Samurai, and then gave a short nod.

"All right, let's do it!" she said.

Laura quickly returned Weedle, and got on one side of the field, facing Samurai. She sent out Weedle first, and Samurai sent out Pinsir. Pinsir was a tall Pokemon, and it had large horns, with spikes on them. Pinsir had long arms, and stubby legs, but the claws on Pinsir's feet and hands made up for it. For a mouth, Pinsir had a plain whole, and the teeth were on the sides of the mouth, not the top. There were five teeth on each side. 

"Whoa, a Pinsir!" said Ash from the side lines.

Ash pulled out his Pokedex, and scanned the bug Pokemon.

"Pinsir. This fearsome Pokemon uses it's powerful claws to put the squeeze on its opponents." the Pokedex read aloud.

Pinsir snapped it's horns intimidatingly. Weedle, however, stayed calm.

"Weedle, Poison Sting!" Laura commanded.

Weedle did as was told, and shot a poisonous stinger from its head. It flew swiftly at Pinsir, and it hit the Pinsir in the stomach. It was hurt some, but it didn't hold back. 

"Pinsir, use tackle!" Samurai ordered.

Pinsir started to run at high speed toward Weedle.

"String Shot, quick!" Laura shouted.

Weedle shot sticky webs from its nose at Pinsir, an the Pokemon was soon covered in webs, unable to move.

"Pinsir, cut through the webs with your claws and horns!" Samurai commanded.

But as much as Pinsir tried, his horns and claws were covered with web as well, which made them useless. 

"Pinsir, return!" Samurai called. "You may have stunned Pinsir, but he is far from defeated! Go, Metapod!" 

As Samurai threw his second Pokeball, a Metapod appeared. 

"Metapod, Harden!" Samurai ordered.

"Poison Sting" Laura ordered.

Weedle did as told, and shot a Poison Sting. However, Samurai kept ordering Metapod to Harden, and Laura kept ordering Weedle to use Poison Sting, so after some time, Metapod had fainted, and Weedle grew a few levels. 

"Ah, you have beaten me. Good job, fair maiden!" Samurai said.

Laura thought he was quite a good sport, for he seemed happy, even after a loss, which Laura would be frustrated with. Laura held out her hand for him to shake.

"Thanks. And I'm Laura, by the way." Laura said.

Samurai, nodded, and shook her hand. Then, Laura picked up Weedle, and congratulated it with a smile, a thanks, and a pet. Then, she returned it back to its Pokeball. Ash then ran over to Laura's place, almost shoving her away, but she stepped out of the picture before that happened. She took a seat on the grass, to watch the battle happen.

"Hold on, novice! Don't you know that a Pokemon needs healing before a battle?" smirked Samurai.

Samurai took some time to revive his Pokemon with potions and other caring goods, before getting ready, with a similar plan as before. He sent out Pinsir.

"Go, Pidgeoto!" Ash said, throwing one of the Pokeballs attached to his belt. "That Pinsir looked tough in the last battle. But nothing me and Pidgeoto can't handle." 

Ash turned his hat backwards. 

"Pidgeoto, Sand Attack!" Ash ordered.

Pidgeoto started to flap his wings, kicking up sand into Pinsir's face. But Pinsir seemed completely unharmed.

"That's child's play! Pinsir, tackle it!" Samurai commanded.

Pinsir ran right through the dust, and hit Pidgeoto hard, knocking it to the ground. Pidgeoto, already sore from the last battle with Team Rocket, fell sore under the Pokemon's hit, and fell to the ground, tired and pooped. Samurai started laughing and cackling very evil like, making Laura feel bad for Ash. 

"Your Pokemon is beaten!" Samurai said, holding up a determined fist.

"Pidgeoto, return!" Ash said, holding out the Pokeball.

In a flash of red light, Pidgeoto was back in the Pokeball. 

"Novice! Are you ready to surrender?" asked Samurai, mockingly.

Ash started to sweat, but snapped back, "No way, I'm just warming up! Metapod, I choose you now!"

Ash threw the Pokeball, and out popped the cocoon like Pokemon.

"Watch and weep as Pinsir crushes your Metapod in half!" Samurai mocked.

Laura wasn't sure what he meant, until Pinsir snapped it's horns together.

"No." Ash said, sweating more.

Laura could tell by the far away look in his eye that he was thinking of Metapod getting crushed.

"Samurai, you wouldn't kill a Pokemon!" Laura shouted, angrily and mournfully.

But Samurai payed her no attention, too caught up in the thought of winning.

"Those horns." Ash said, worrying.

"Ash, call back Metapod, not even a bug deserves this!" Misty said, with a sad look in her eye.

Laura was glad that Misty felt some remorse for the bug, but this wasn't the time to be happy for Misty's change.

"Do something!" Laura shouted.

"This match is already won!" Pinsir said.

Laura covered her eyes, and Charmander did as well. But in an instant, Ash said something that saved his Pokemon's life.

"Metapod, Harden now!"

In that split second, Metapod was surrounded in a green light, and when the light was gone, Metapod was shining brightly, like a polished rock. Laura uncovered her eyes and looked on. Pinsir swooped up the Pokemon, and tried to crush it. But it wasn't working. In fact, Metapod was so hard, that it's spiky horns were crushed.

"Yeah!" Laura shouted.

Charmander and Pikachu gave each other a high five.

"It worked!" Misty exclaimed, relieved.

"So, now who's the novice?" Ash mocked.

"Pinsir, return." Samurai said, obviously annoyed, for the usual smirk on his face was gone.

"Clever, quite clever." Samurai said. "Pokeball go!" 

And out came the Metapod that had face Laura before. It was a Metapod vs Metapod showdown.

"Go Metapod! Laura cheered stupidly.

"Metapod, Harden, like his!" Samurai said.

His Metapod hardened.

"Maximum Hardness Metapod!" Ash ordered.

Now his Metapod hardened too. This went on for a long time. So long, that Laura took a snooze with Charmander in the grass. Hours passed, as the Pokemon's shadows passed while the sun passed. Misty had started to sun bathe, and Pikachu was enjoying himself as well, relaxing in the sun. Laura woke up after a few hours, to see the same thing going on.

"We could be stuck in this forest for the rest of our lives." Misty said, folding her arms. "Boys can be so stubborn."

"No kidding." Laura said. "Do something other than Harden!"

They both started grunting, an then they fell over. Probably from Laura's comment.

"Looks like they've hardened themselves." Laura said.

"You two are more hardheaded than your Metapod's!"

Suddenly there was a buzzing sound.

"Huh?" Misty questioned. "What's that noise?" 

Samurai stood up.

"A Beedrill swarm approaches! Our match must end. Metapod, return."

Samurai's Metapod returned. Laura picked up Charmander, and ran over to Ash's Metapod, picking him up in the other arm.

"Hurry, Ash!" Laura said.

The Beedrill swarm could be seen overhead. There were tons of them.

"Beedrill swarm!" Ash said.

He took out his Pokedex.

"Ash, hurry!" Laura said.

"Beedrill." The Pokedex started. "This Pokemon is the evolved form of Weedle, following its Kakuna stage. Its sting is highly poisonous."

"Good Day." Samurai said, running off.

"Hey, help us out, will you?!" Laura said, running after him.

Unfortunately, a Beedrill was quick behind her, and it robbed Metapod right from her arm. Fortunately, Laura held on tighter to Charmander once Metapod had been taken, so Charmander was still there. Ash took out his Pokeball, trying to return Metapod. But the Beedrill's stingers on its hands were blocking the beam of the Pokeball.

The Beedrill then flew away, and disappeared out of sight, making Laura feel guilty about not holding on tight enough. Ash had a big sweat mark on his head, starting to worry deeply about his Pokemon. Laura just ran after Samurai, hoping not to get caught by any more Beedrill. She hoped the others would decide to catch up. She looked behind her back a few times, and one of the times, she saw Ash being dragged by Misty. 

"Hurry!" Laura shouted. 

"But...Metapod!" Ash said, sadly.

Laura looked ahead to see Samurai running and panting. He must've been hot under all that metal gear. The four continued running for what felt like an eternity. Then, Samurai took a sharp turn behind some bushes, and the others quickly followed. The Beedrill's flew right past them. Laura wiped the sweat off her head, and everyone breathed a sigh of relief. Suddenly, everyone's voices hitched. Laura looked at what they were staring at, and carefully covered Charmander's mouth, but he swatted away her hands. There was a huge tree, which was completely covered with Kakuna. Kakuna was a Pokemon that was the stage between Weedle and Beedrill, and it was practically a brown cocoon with eyes. They were everywhere, and one wrong move or sound could trigger their evolution, and the group would be toast.

"A whole hive of Kakuna's!" Samurai whispered.

Misty was about to scream, but Laura quickly put a hand over her mouth. Ash took out his Pokedex, as always, and scanned the Pokemon.

"Kakuna, the transitional stage between Weedle and Beedrill. Kakuna's remain inactive until evolved into deadly Beedrill and hatch." The Pokedex read.

Ash's eyes traveled down the tree, and spotted a green cocoon near the stump.

"Hey, over there! It's Metapod!" Ash shouted.

Misty cupped a hand over his mouth, telling him to keep his voice down. But it was too late. One look from the first Kakuna, followed by another, and then another, signaled every Kakuna about the four trespassers. Nothing happened. But when Laura heard one crack, she immediatley ran to Metapod, and picked him up, running back and picking up Charmander. She held on much tighter this time, and she already made a run for it, not waiting for the Pokemon to hatch from the cocoon's. The others quickly ran after Laura. But soon, they were being horded by Beedrill, even more than the last hoard. They ran for quite some time, until they saw a log cabin. 

"My cabin! I think we can make it!" Samurai shouted, as everyone started running faster.

Laura stopped at the door, waiting for someone to help her open it, since her hands were full. Samurai opened the door, and Laura ran in, setting the Pokemon on the floor. Everyone else ran in as well. Then, the door slammed, a Beedrill in close pursuit. The Beedrill stuck his stinger in the door, leaving a small peephole. Everyone watched as the Pokemon pulled it's stinger from the wood. The house was surrounded.

"That was close..." Ash said.

Samurai finally took off his helmet, and set it on a dresser drawer. He took off the rest of his gear as well. His head was shaved, but not so he was bald.

"I hope you've learned your lesson, novice! You screaming out like that almost cost our lives!" Samurai said angrily.

"Take back that novice crack!" Ash said, standing in anger.

"I do take it back! Because not even a novice would abandon his Pokemon as you did!" Samurai said.

"That wasn't his fault." Laura said grimly, standing up in shame.

"What?" Samurai said, turning to her.

"I said that wasn't his fault!" she shouted. "I didn't have a tight grip on Metapod! It's my fault he was taken! That's why I'm the one who took him back."

"So. I guess you're the real novice." Samurai said, smirking.

"Yeah, I guess I am! But guess what? I'll learn from my mistakes. And I'll continue to make more! Because news flash, that's a part of life! You tried to kill a Metapod, remember? Was that a mistake? Or was it a choice? Don't compare other people's mistakes to the very best of trainers!" Laura shouted, trying to make her point.

Everyone stared in shock. Even Charmander and Metapod and Pikachu looked in shock. Samurai was about to snap something back, but stopped himself, thinking back to what Laura said. No one talked to each other as night fell the only thing that went on was the others hanging around with their Pokemon, or thinking, or reading. Samurai slept on a log for a pillow, a blanket for a mattress, and a quilt for a blanket. As everyone was getting themselves tucked in, Laura turned to Samurai, finally breaking the silence. 

"Want to borrow my sleeping back? It may be the most comfortable sleep you've gotten in a while." she said, handing him her black sleeping bag.

He looked at it with a harsh face, and turned his back.

"I refuse to sleep in the sleeping bag of a novice." he said.

"Hey, novice or not, you may want something more comfortable then a log, and two blankets." Laura said harshly, pushing the sleeping bag further, insisting he take it.

Samurai glanced at his sleeping space, and then turned around, snatching the bag.

"Fine, but only because you insisted on it." he said. 

Samurai then settled in the sleeping bag, and a small smile appeared on his face. Laura layed on the floor, and huddled into a ball, shivering. As it seemed as thought everyone was asleep, Laura saw a figure. It was Samurai. 

"Thank you." he said. "You may be...a beginner...but no novice offers to give a belonging to others." he said. 

"No problem." Laura said, with a small happy smile on her face. 

"It was indeed an offer, especially after an argument. I shall make it up to you somehow. Until then, goodnight." Samurai then walked back to the sleeping bag, and slept in it comfortably.

As Laura was about to fall asleep herself, she heard a voice whispering he name.

"Laura?"

It was Ash.

"Yeah?" Laura said groggily.

"I wanted to say thank you."

"For what?"

"For rescuing Metapod. He would still be in those woods if it weren't for you." he said.

"I would do it for any Pokemon. And for any friend." Laura said, smiling.

Ash bent down and hugged her, taking Laura by surprise.

"It meant the world to me."

He let go of her, wished her a goodnight like Samurai, and went to bed. Laura curled into a ball, feeling good about herself, and went to bed.

...

Laura awoke with a good feeling. She did have a sore neck for sleeping on wooden floor board, but today was the day she and her friends finish her trek through the woods. She woke Charmander, and looked at the Metapod, which was awake by Ash, who was still sleeping. She walked over to him, but he turned away.

"That's why I came over here...to apologize..." Laura said. "I'm sorry I lost hold on you...it was because of me that you were taken. I should have never let you go. And I never will again. Please...forgive me." she said mournfully.

Metapod looked at her and turned around. With a small bobble, he went up and down, proving that he had forgiven her.

"Thanks." she said, smiling. "I owe you one." 

Suddenly, there was a bright light, as there was a crack heard. The crack came from Metapod's back, and there was indeed a crack there. The light woke the others up. A Pokemon flew from the cocoon.  Butterfree is an insect-like Pokémon appearing as a large butterfly. Butterfree had a large purple body with light blue limbs and a nose with very small fangs. Its eyes are quite large in proportion to its head and are a red color.

"Butterfree, a long time after Caterpie evolves into Metapod, it then evolves into Butterfree." the Pokedex said.

After playing with Butterfree, and talking, Samurai handed Laura her sleeping bag back.

"I believe I told you I would repay you for your kindness." Samurai said.

He walked over to the dresser drawers from last night, and he picked up his Samurai helmet.

"I have two. I only need one, and it's something I can repay you with. It's a little small for me anyways." Samurai said, as he handed her the helmet.

It looked exactly like the one Samurai was wearing, but yellow horn-like designs were smaller. Laura took the helmet, and put it on, smiling. It fit well, and she liked it a lot.

"Thanks!" she said, smiling at him.

"No problem!" Samurai said with a nod.

He then put his big Samurai gear on, and opened his cabin door. 

"Follow me." he said. "I know how to get to the other side of the forest without harm from Beedrill, or any bugs for that matter."

Misty smiled.

"Finally!" she said, following after him.

Samurai grabbed a huge box like net, with wooden poles that held them up. He lifted it so there was some crawl space, and Misty crawled in, followed by Pikachu, Charmander, and Laura. Ash, however, looked at the box.

"I'll be fine. I've got Butterfree with me!" Ash said, looking at his newly evolved friend.

So they walked together, three people and two Pokemon in a net, and one person and Pokemon beside them. Everything seemed to go fine, until a buzzing sound was heard. Laura lifted up the net.

"Ash! Get in here, quickly!" Laura persisted, motioning for him to come.

"Butterfree will take care of them!" Ash said, looking at his new Pokemon. 

Butterfree and Ash seemed to almost talk, before Ash started to shout, "Okay!"

"Butterfree, knock them out with your Sleep Powder!" Ash ordered, pointing a menacing finger to the Beedrill.

Butterfree flew high over the hoard of Beedrill, and sprinkled, a yellow and white-ish dust on them. As Butterfree continued to sprinkle the dust, a Beedrill fell quietly to the ground, one after another. 

"Yay! You put all of them to sleep!" Ash shouted.

"Good job, Butterfree!" Laura announced, clapping for Ash's Pokemon.

The other trainers got out of the net, as Ash started to jump around in praise for his Pokemon. Laura also got in the moment, and started to jump up and down, clapping and whistling. Charmander also hopped around in excitement.

"You were able to handle your Butterfree so well, just after it evolved. Most Impressive." Samurai said, folding his arms and giving a smile of approval. 

...

The group had soon found themselves at the end of the Viridian forest.

"This trail will lead you to Pewter City!" Samurai said, as he pointed to the trail out of the woods.

"That's great, but before we leave you Samurai, we still have to finish our match." Ash said.

"I'd also go for a rematch any time!" Laura said, as she rubbed the side of her nose with her thumb.

"Compared to you both, my friends, I am the novice. But I will keep perfecting my technique, and learning from my mistakes, until one day, we will meet again." Samurai said.

Laura nodded, and then stepped forward. Without warning she hugged Samurai, taking him by surprise and almost knocking him over.

"Thanks for everything!" she said

His cheeks grew hot, and he started to blush from her happiness. He gently patted her back, and she then let go, and stepped back.

"I'm sure we will all have spectacular matches." Ash said with a nod.

"That is guaranteed." Samurai said.

"Just promise not to use Metapod vs. Metapod again." Misty said.

"Yeah, or we'll be stuck here for days!" Laura said with a chuckle.

Everyone else started to chuckle as Pikachu and Charmander nodded in agreement.

"Until then, Samurai!" Ash said with a wave, as they headed out of the forest.

"See ya!" Misty said.

"I'll never forget you!" Laura said with a huge wave of both arms as they walked away.

Even Charmander and Pikachu gave him waves of farewell. Samurai looked at them as they went, and under his breath he said,

"Farewell."

And then, the three trainers headed on there way, to see what was in store for them at Pewter City.

Laura, Ash, and Misty, along with their Pokemon, Pikachu and Charmander, had just gotten out of the Viridian Forest. They were walking on a rocky path. Suddenly, Ash looked very happy. And Laura soon shared his excitement. they ran upon a high rock, to see the large and beautiful Pewter City, not far from where they were.

"We're here!" Laura said, happily.

"Yay, Pewter City!" Misty said happily.

Ash wiped pretend sweat off his head as he sat down.

"For a while there, I thought I was gonna be in that forest for the rest of my life!" Ash said.

"Pewter City is gray. The color of stone. This town has always been famous for stone." said a mysterious voice.

Laura jumped at the dark voice, and looked down, to see a middle aged man with a red cap on. He had a brown beard, and a yellow shirt, with green jeans and black shoes. He wore white gloves.

"You scared me!" Laura said with a sigh.

"Whoa, what the? Who's this old guy?" Ash asked.

Laura gave him a small nudge with her foot, as if to tell him to be polite.

"Never met him." Misty said.

"The names Flint. And you two are on my merchandise." he said, pointing to Ash and Laura.

Laura quickly stepped off the rock, and pulled Ash off too. 

"Sorry." Ash said. "You sell rocks?"

"Pewter City souvenirs. Want to buy some?" Flint asked.

"I'm fine." Laura said.

"No thanks. I'm traveling, trying to become a Pokemon Trainer." Ash said.

"As am I." Laura commented, jumping from the ledge, as misty and Ash followed.

"Well your Pokemon sure look worn out. You should follow me." Flint said, standing up from his sitting position. "I'll show you to the Pokemon Center."

So Laura, Ash, and Misty followed, Laura carrying Charmander. 

"See, looks can be deceiving! He's a nice guy." Ash said happily.

"Are you sure?" Misty asked.

"By the way, that will be a two dollar charge for resting on my rocks." Flint said, holding out his hand.

Ash and Misty sighed, while Laura took out a wallet. Her parents were very scared she'd have no food, so they gave her lots of money, counting the money she had gained from her allowance. She handed him two dollars, and continued to follow him. 

...

At the Pokemon Center, Laura healed her Pokemon, as did Ash. 

"I'd like to revive my Pokemon." Laura said.

"Um, as do I." Ash said.

"I'll gladly take your Pokemon, Ash and Laura!" said the cheery Nurse Joy.

Laura looked up to see the pink haired nurse.

"Nurse Joy?" Ash asked.

"But you were just back in Viridian City." Laura said, confused.

"That was my younger sister. I'm the older Joy." Nurse Joy said. "I've heard nice things about you both! Very nice things!" she said cheerfully.

"Thanks." Laura said with a smile.

"Have you seen that poster?" Nurse Joy said, taking the Pokemon away to be healed.

Ash and Laura turned around to see a large poster. It had a hand holding a Pokeball, and different Pokemon types around it. Misty had started staring at it too.

"Pokemon League Regional Championships!" Laura said with a smile. "No doubt am I going to that!"

"Alright!" Ash said with a fist pump.

"Ha!" Misty said, stepping up.

"What's the matter?" Ash asked.

"To compete in the regional championships, you need to beat gym trainers from different towns, and get their badges as proof." Misty said. "Can you do that?"

"Of course I can!" Ash said.

"You bet I can!" Laura said enthusiastically. 

Suddenly, the group turned around to a low voice, laughing. It was Flint, walking up to them. 

"Don't tell me you plan on challenging Brock, the Pewter City Gym Leader." Flint said.

"Of course I do." Ash said defensively.

"We're going into the Pokemon League Regional Championships, and we need Brock's badge to do it!" Laura said, folding her arms with a smirk on her face.

"As soon as our Pokemon are healed, we'll wipe the floor with Brock! Take me to his gym. We'll beat him." Ash said.

Flint just started laughing again. 

"You'll beat him?" he said, still laughing.

Then he walked away.

"Heck yeah! You'll see!" Laura yelled after him.

...

Laura and Ash's Pokemon were healed, and Laura, Ash, and Misty were sitting in a restaurant for lunch. Laura had let Weedle out with Charmander, so they could eat too. Laura was sitting by Ash, and Misty was sitting on the other side of them.

"That Flint is trying to make a fool out of us..." Ash said angrily.

"You two really thought you could win?" Misty said. "Gym Leaders are different from your everyday Pokemon trainer. They're much much tougher!"

Laura was eating rice and chicken, and her Pokemon were enjoying two bowl of Pokemon food. Misty was eating spicy red noodles, and Ash was eating rice. Ash snarfed down the last of what was in his bowl. 

"I'll tell you what, guys. If you ask me really nicely, I'll help you out." Misty said temptingly.

"I don't need any help." Ash said through a mouthful of food.

"I'll take you up on that offer then." Laura said excitedly.

Misty was mad about Ash saying no, but pleased that Laura had accepted the help.

"Okay, so Fire and Bug types are weak against Rock Types, which is what Brock, the Gym Leader, uses." Misty started. "So if you were to catch new Pokemon, lets say a Water Type or Grass Type for example, you'd have a better chance at defeating Brock."

"Thanks, but I'll stick with Charmander and Weedle." Laura said.

Misty crossed her arms, and made a 'hmph' sound.

"When you lose, don't come to me begging for help." she said, standing up and leaving the restaurant.

Ash didn't seem to care less. Until he looked at the bill however. 

"Hey, you can't leave us with the bill, come back here!" he shouted.

"I've got it." Laura said, taking out her wallet.

She grabbed a wad of dollar bills, and put them next to the bill.

"Problem solved. Shall we go to Brock's gym?" Laura asked Ash.

...

Laura and Ash were on the dirt road facing the stone building. The sign said 'Pewter City Gym'. 

"Can I battle first?" Laura asked Ash hopefully.

"Sure! Me and Pikachu would love to watch you, right Pikachu?" Ash asked, turning to his furry friend.

"Pikachu!" Pikachu said with a smile and nod.

"Thanks." Laura said.

Charmander let out a happy cry, and he ran to the building, quickly followed by Laura and Ash. Laura pushed the doors to the building open. It was dark, and the only light was the sunlight that peered in from the doors. 

"Hello? Mr. Brock?" Laura shouted into the gym.

"Hello?" Ash shouted, just as loud.

They both walked into the dark room, and soon they found themselves in the middle.

"Who goes there?" asked a somewhat deep voice.

A light went on, and under the light was the sitting figure of Brock. He had an orange T shirt on, with a green vest over it. He was wearing dark brown khaki's, and black shoes. He had strange eyes, and his hair was spiked up, a brown color. His skin was tan.

"Oh, hi! I'm Laura, and this is Ash. This is Charmander, and that's Pikachu." Laura said. "I've come for a gym battle."

"Is this your first gym match?" Brock asked.

"Yup! And I plan to win a badge!" Laura said.

"I'm just here to watch for now." Ash said.

"Gym matches are different than other battles. This match is for Pokemon League authorization. There are special rules." Brock said, not giving a cheery smile or anything.

"What rules?" Laura asked.

"We will use two Pokemon each, understood?" Brock asked.

"Yes." Laura said with a nod.

"How long have you been with that Charmander?" he asked standing up.

"About two weeks." Laura said.

"Your Charmander is in its weakest stage. It can't win." Brock said with a smirk.

"I'll be the judge of that." Laura said with a growl.

"Suite yourself." Brock said. "As gym leader, i have to accept every challenge. So let's just get this over with."

Brock snapped his fingers, and suddenly, the ground started to shake. The lights went on, and two garage doors opened from the side of the walls. A terrain of rocks started to roll into where the two friends were standing. Laura grabbed Charmander, and she pulled Ash by the wrist, as she started to run to the other side. She had to jump to make it before the terrain snapped together, and she along with her friends, skid along the floor. Brock jumped from his stone seat, onto his position on the battle field. He held out a Pokeball.

"Let the match begin!" he said.

"Alright, go Weedle!" Laura shouted, grabbing her own Pokeball and throwing it out on the battlefield.

The Pokeball snapped open, and there stood the caterpillar Pokemon, ready to fight.

"Onix, Go!" Brock said, throwing out his Pokeball.

Out appeared a huge Pokemon. Onix resembles a giant chain of gray boulders that become smaller towards the tail. It has a rocky spine on its head and a pair of black eyes right beneath it. Like a giant snake. It looked at Weedle menacingly, and Weedle started to get scared. 

"Don't let it's size intimidate you! You'll do great! Use String Shot!" Laura said.

Weedle sprayed its sticky string all over Onix's body, and on it's head, covering its eyes.

"Onix, drag your body on the ground to get rid of the string!" Brock said.

Onix started to roll on the ground like a dog, yet the string didn't come off.

"Poison Sting!" Laura shouted.

Weedle shot a stinger from its head and another one grew out. The stinger that went flying hit the crack of Onix' neck and head, and became stuck. This poisoned Onix, and his health slowly started to drain.

"Tackle in front of you!" Brock said.

Onix came charging.

"Out of the way!" Laura shouted.

The Weedle started to inch away, but was run over by Onix. Weedle went flying, but landed on the ground.

"Poison Sting!" Laura shouted again.

This time, when Weedle shot the stinger, it went around the middle of the body, striking it for pain and becoming stuck. This went on for quite some time, and soon, Onix had fainted. 

Laura returned Weedle, and looked at Charmander.

"Ready?" she asked.

Charmander nodded, and walked onto the battle field. Brock returned Onix, and sent out his next Pokemon, Geodude.

Geodude is a gray boulder Pokemon. It has bulging, rocky eyebrows and trapezoidal, brown eyes. Its arms are muscular with five-fingered hands.

"Charmander, Ember!" Laura said.

Charmander shot a burst of fire at Geodude, and hit it, but it wasn't very effective. 

"Geodude, use tackle!" Brock said.

Geodude threw his rocky body at Charmander.

"Dodge it!" Laura commanded.

Charmander being quite swift, dodged the tackle.

"Scratch!" 

Charmander honed his claws, and ran up to Geodude, scratching Geodude. Although it wasn't very effective, Charmander hit him in the face, which caused a critical hit.

"Geodude, use Harden!" Brock commanded.

"Now, while it's distracted, use Smokescreen!" Laura commanded. 

Charmander opened it's mouth, and from it, came black billows of smoke clouds, making it extremely hard for Geodude to see. However, the smoke only clouded Geodude, so Charmander could see fine.

"Quick, Ember!" Laura commanded. 

Charmander breathed in harshly, and then blew hard, a bundle of fire rushing at Geodude. This hurt the Pokemon, enough to roast it into fainting. Laura fist pumped, and smirked at Brock. 

"I told you." Laura said.

Brock smiled at her.

"You've taught me not to judge. You deserve this badge." Brock said.

He reached into his pocket as he walked over to Laura, and when he reached her, he pulled out the badge. It is a simple gray octagon. It looked like a diamond in Laura's eyes, however. 

"Thanks Brock." Laura said as she took the badge.

...

Laura couldn't stop staring at her badge as she walked to the Pokemon center with Ash.

"I can't believe I won! He told me I couldn't do it, but I did! I got my first badge on my first try!" Laura continued to say.

"Stop bragging!" Ash said, a bit annoyed.

"Sorry! But if you were me, you wouldn't stop talking." Laura said.

Ash rolled his eyes.

"Soon, you won't be the only one with a badge." he said.

"Yup! You will, and I know you can do it!" Laura said smiling.

Ash gave her a smile as they reached the Pokemon Center. Laura walked up to the front desk, and requested that her Pokemon be healed. When Nurse Joy took her Pokemon to be healed, Laura turned to Ash.

"Should we go get your badge? We can do it while my Pokemon heal." Laura asked.

"Yeah! You can watch me beat Brock!" Ash said, giving Laura a flex.

Laura laughed and grabbed his wrist, running to the door.

"C'mon! The badge won't come to you!" 

...

Laura and Ash arrived in the Pokemon Center, and walked in. The lights were off again, like last time, and they flicked on. Brock was standing now. 

"Why are you here?" he said, as if he was annoyed with the two trainers. 

"Ash still needs to battle you." Laura said, as she sat down at the side of the battle field that was still there.

Ash smiled and ran to his spot on the battle field, while Brock ran to his. Brock explained the same rules, but he didn't make fun of Ash's Pikachu, which was a good sign that he learned a lesson.

"Okay Pikachu, I choose you buddy!" Ash said.

Pikachu nodded, and ran out onto the battlefield. Brock grabbed a Pokeball and threw it.

"Go, Onix!" Brock shouted.

Out appeared the Onix, who was now healed. Brock probably had some potions on him. Potions are special medicine kept inside a purple spray bottle. They are used to heal the low health of Pokemon. Onix gave Pikachu a menacing look, and Pikachu started to sweat, becoming frightened of the tall rocky snake. Pikachu ran back to Ash in fright, and hid behind him, crawling into his jacket. He grabbed Pidgeoto's Pokeball, but Ash pulled Pikachu away.

"Pikachu, this is your fight, not Pidgeoto's!" Ash said.

Ash gave Pikachu a small shove. Pikachu looked at Ash, who nodded to Pikachu. Pikachu walked tiredly onto the battlefield, and Laura got a bad feeling. 

"Onix, tackle attack!" Brock announced.

Onix threw himself at Pikachu, who shrieked and ran away. Onix missed, and his head hit the ground, but he quickly brought it back up. Using his tail, Onix grabbed Pikachu around the waist, and lifted it up like a toy.

"Onix, bind it now!" Brock commanded.

Pikachu was struggling, as Onix started to squeeze it. Laura felt terrible by the minute.

"Pikachu, Thunder Shock!" Ash shouted.

Pikachu let out a burst of electricity. Onix however, stood there like nothing happened at all. Electric types must not have been very effective. Ash grabbed a Pokeball, and held it up.

"Pikachu, return!" Ash commanded.

But when the ray of red light tried to retract Pikachu, it bounced off of Onix's rocky body, causing Ash to worry. Laura looked at Brock.

"Come on, give him a chance!" she shouted.

Brock didn't answer. Ash kept staring helplessly at Onix strangling Pikachu. But Pikachu started to lose strength, and lessened his struggling. Suddenly, Ash lost his temper.

"Cut it out!" he shouted to Brock.

"Do you surrender?" Brock shouted from across the gym.

Ash stood there, dumbfounded for a few seconds. 

"I...I do..." Ash said, sad to admit defeat. 

A bell rang, signaling the end of the match. Onix let go of Pikachu, who fell to the ground. Ash grabbed Pikachu, who was hurt badly. Laura walked out of the Pokemon Center with Ash, putting a hand on his shoulder while they walked.

"Don't worry. You'll get them next time." she said.

It was late afternoon. They continued to walk on the path leading to the gym, until they were stopped by a familiar man. They looked up to see Flint, who stared at them for a couple second.

"Come with me." he said, putting his hands behind his back.

He turned and started to walk, Laura and Ash quickly following.

...

They soon found themselves in Flint's rock shop. Pikachu was resting, and Laura had taken a quick trip to the Pokemon Center to grab Charmander and Weedle. Ash was sitting worriedly by Pikachu, his hat off.

"Pikachu will pull through. Don't worry." Laura said to Ash.

Flint walked over with some tea, and three cups. 

"Everyone loses sometimes. You can't let that get you down." Flint said, pouring tea into the cups.

"I know...but I didn't just lose, I stunk! Brock's way better than me...I can never enter a league match if i can't beat him!" Ash said.

Flint took a cup of tea and drank from it, Laura taking the two cups and giving one to Ash.

"Brock is very good. His own talents could take him much further than simply being the local gym leader." Flint said.

"Yeah, but why hasn't he been in a regional championship himself?" Ash asked stubbornly.

"He has his reasons..." Flint said mysteriously.

Ash turned around, his face surprised. Laura sipped some tea, and looked at Flint.

"What do you mean?" she asked.

...

Soon, Laura, Ash, and Flint were in front of a house. There were eight little kids inside, and a mother in the kitchen. She had an apron on, and a hair net covering her hair. She was washing the dishes. Suddenly, a little girl ran up to the mother from another room, and she started to cry.

"I tore my skirt!" she balled.

The mother turned around, and Laura, Ash, Flint, and Charmander all saw that the mother was a father! Brock was the person in the apron and hairnet! 

"All right, all right. I'll sew it up for you." Brock said kindly.

Laura's jaw dropped in surprise.

"I didn't know Brock was a girl!" Laura said obliviously. 

Flint smacked the back of her head.

"He's not a girl! He babysits his siblings!" Flint said angrily.

Laura rubbed the back of her hurt head.

"Oh..." she said.

Ash looked equally surprised about the mother being Brock. The little girl was pushing on Brock.

"Is it done yet?" she cried sadly.

"Just a minute..." Brock said.

Brock must've truly cared about his siblings. And he knew how to sew.

...

Laura, Ash, and Flint were walking the streets late that night. Charmander was asleep, and Laura was holding him in her arms. Ash, hands shoved in his pockets, started to speak.

"Well, I sure never thought of Brock like that..." he said weakly.

"Neither did I. He seemed extremely tough and cold hearted before..." Laura said with a sigh.

"He has ten little brothers and sisters to take care of. So he can never leave town for regional championships." Flint said.

"What about his parents?" Laura asked.

"Yeah, doesn't he have a mom or a dad?" Ash pressed.

"His good for nothing father left his family to become a Pokemon trainer and they never heard from him again. Brock's heartbroken mother tried her best to hold things together, but sadly she passed away. Brock's the only one his brothers and sisters have left." Flint said.

"I feel bad for him...my mom left the family when I was five because she broke up with my father. I have two siblings." Laura said, turning the conversation to her life.

"Brock's been through more than that." Flint said defensively.

"Sorry..." Laura said nervously.

"I better not listen to anymore sad stuff. Next time I have a match with Brock, I might not have the heart to beat him." Ash said, a hint of disappointment in his voice.

Flint turned to Ash in surprise.

"But you said...you said that you could never win a match with Brock." Flint said surprised, although his face had no expression.

"People say stuff like that all the time and never mean it." Laura said, rolling her eyes.

"Yeah! I changed my mind about that! If I can power up Pikachu I'll beat him!" Ash said angrily.

Flint put a hand to his chin.

"Hm...I may just know a way you can supercharge Pikachu..." he said mischievously.

"You do?!" Ash said happily.

...

Laura, Ash, and Flint soon arrived at a place in the nearby woods. It was an old ramshackle shed, with a large wheel by it to supply energy. It looked as though there was supposed to be a river supplying energy to the wheel, but the river was dried out.

"What is this place?" Ash asked.

"It's a hydroelectric plant." Flint said, hands behind his back.

"Cool." Laura said.

"The wheel on the side, when moved by the river, is supposed to make electricity. If you hook Pikachu up to it, you may be able to give it a power boost." Flint said.

"Thanks mister Flint! That's a great idea! Gee...how do you know so much about Pokemon?" Ash asked.

Flint started to sweat.

"Me, uh...you see, well I uh...I just got lucky I guess! That's it, lucky!" Flint said.

"Okay..." Laura said with a curious look at Flint. 

Ash turned to Pikachu, who was beside him at the moment.

"Well Pikachu, get ready to power up!" Ash said.

Pikachu yelped happily.

"Of course, right now the river is dry." Flint said.

"Called it." Laura said, as Ash and Pikachu fell over.

"Then what did we come here for?!" Ash asked, annoyed.

"I have another idea..." Flint said. "You can step on the wheel and push it to make power, like a treadmill."

He pointed to Laura, and she fist pumped.

"All right, leave it to me! Charmander, you go inside with Pikachu and Ash." Laura said, before running to the wheel.

Ash, Pikachu, Charmander, and Flint went inside the shed, and started to hook up electrical wires to Pikachu's red cheeks. The wires were connected to a machine in front of a window, where the large wheel could be seen. Pikachu tightened up, as if he knew it would hurt. Flint turned to the small window in the wall, and Laura could be seen.

"Pikachu's all hooked up." Flint said.

Laura nodded, and started to walk up the wheel like steps, holding onto one of the wheels supporters. It was tricky to get the old wheel to move, since it must've been inactive for some time, but after it started to rotate, the moving became easier. It was trying hard not to stop that became tricky.

"Alright!" Ash said from inside.

"Supplying power!" Laura said, as if she was in the Marine Corp.

As Laura continued to ascend to nowhere, the wheel began to rotate faster, causing Laura to need to pick up the pace.

"Is it almost done?" Laura asked in five minutes.

Pikachu had started to groan two minutes in.

"Take it easy, Pikachu. All this electricity may be shocking at first, but soon your body will be used to the high voltage." Flint said encouragingly.

Laura looked in to see Pikachu containing himself, and Charmander comforting him with pats. Ash and Flint were looking at him nervously. Laura was starting to sweat as she was moving. Suddenly, a sort of high-pitched voice was heard from behind.

"Hey! Laura!" the voice called.

Laura turned around to see Misty.

"Hey Misty!" Laura said, not daring to let go of the supporter to wave.

"Tell Ash that I said, 'Wouldn't it be easier to just ask me for help instead of going with this crazy power plan of his?'" Misty said, smiling.

Laura peered in the window.

"Ash, Misty says she thinks it would be easier to ask her for help instead of going with the plan."  Laura said to Ash.

Ash and Flint turned. Ash scowled angrily.

"Tell Misty I said forget it! And I can win without her help!" Ash said, an angry look on his face.

Laura shrugged and turned to Misty.

"He says he wants you to forget it, and that he can win without your help. Sorry." Laura said, shrugging to Misty.

She gave a surprised look at first, and then gave Laura an angry face. 

"What do I care..." she said, giving a hmph and walking away.

Laura turned back to the window.

"She walked away angrily." Laura said

"I'm gonna get a badge all by myself using the Pokemon that I'm training!" Ash shouted loudly, as he gave Laura an angry face.

"Stubborn. It would be a lot easier to use some of mine too." Misty said with a slight cock of her head.

She obviously heard him. 

Laura was now sprinting quickly, trying to keep up with the wheel. 

"All right! I can take it..." Laura said, panting. "Just a little more Pikachu!" 

Pikachu's face was all scrunched up, showing that he was holding in the large boost of energy he was receiving. Sparks were flying from Pikachu's cheeks, and sweat was dripping down Laura's face. Laura looked out the window. But she couldn't see anything. There was smoke coming from the large machine. Blue electrical sparks came from the machine. Flint stood, and Laura gasped at the machine, trying to slow. But the wheel was moving so fast now, that it was practically impossible to slow down.

"It's gonna blow!" She shouted, worriedly.

Not only was the machine acting up, but Pikachu was as well. Giant bolts of electricity were sprouting from his cheeks. Suddenly, Laura was blinded. Pikachu let out a shriek, and electricity spilled from his cheeks, infesting the area with light and lightning.

...

Laura, Ash, Pikachu, and Charmander were standing back in front of Brock's gym, ready for Ash's second challenge, in hopes he'd win. Ash pushed the doors open seriously.

"We're back!" Ash said, a determined look on his face.

"Haven't you learned your lesson yet?" Brock said, stepping up to the group.

"Oh, we're ready for you this time Brock!" Ash said, Pikachu puffing out his cheeks.

"Ha, we'll see." Brock said.

The lights turned on, and Laura walked over to the viewing side. She turned to see Misty, quite surprised she had come to watch. 

"Two Pokeballs!" Brock shouted, as soon as he and Ash had taken their spots. 

"Got it!" Ash answered.

"I'll start with Geodude! Go!" Brock said, throwing a Pokeball.

Geodude appeared a mean look on his face. Ash turned his hat around, and took out a Pokeball. 

"Pidgeoto, I choose you!" Ash exclaimed, throwing the Pokeball.

Out appeared the bird Pokemon, ready to fight. Charmander shouted a call of cheer, hoping Ash and Pikachu would win.

"Pidgeoto, Gust attack!" Ash commanded.

Pidgeoto flapped his wings harshly, picking up a gust of wind, making its way towards Geodude. Soon, Pidgeoto surrounded Geodude with gust, and you could no longer see the rocky Pokemon. Brock had a smirk on his face as the wind ruffled his hair. Soon, the gust disappeared, and Geodude was up and at 'em, fighting harshly. Ash looked dumbfounded. Brock looked at Ash, an eyebrow raised.

"Bad strategy. Don't you know flying Pokemon are weak against rock types?" Brock asked.

"Uh...I guess I forgot." Ash excused.

Misty was starting to look worried.

"Come on, Ash, use your head." Misty said, now kneeling and clutching the bars.

"He'll pull through." Laura said confidently.

Suddenly, three girls and three boys came to each of their sides. They were Brock's siblings, from when Laura, Ash, and Flint had looked into Brock's house. Laura wasn't paying attention, and when she looked back at the battlefield, Pidgeoto had fainted. Ash returned Pidgeoto.

"Are you giving up again, Ash?" Brock asked.

"No way!" Ash said.

Laura already knew who Ash would send out. It was obviously-

"Pikachu, I choose you!" Ash shouted.

Of course, Laura thought. Pikachu hopped onto the battlefield happily, determined to win. 

"The Pikachu again. I feel sorry for it. Being raised by such a week Pokemon trainer." Brock mocked.

Pikachu, however, didn't seem affected by this comment, but Laura sure was. She started to shout at Brock for making fun of Ash, and she continued her rant. Misty cupped her hand over Laura's mouth, as Brock's siblings started to pull her back from the railing, for she continued to walk forward while yelling.

"Pikachu! Now's our chance to show him how weak we are!" Ash said, growling.

Pikachu shot one of the largest thunder shocks Laura had ever seen. She looked at it in awe, her eyes a bit blinded by the light. The electricity made its way to Geodude, and surrounded him. His face was full of shock, as he was electrocuted. His body had turned black and crispy, and he fell to the ground, clearly defeated. Laura started to clap, and Brock's siblings gasped.

"Wow Pikachu, nice going." Misty said to herself.

"Way to go!" Laura said, continuing to clap.

Brock looked amazed, but said nothing.

"Return, Geodude!" he said, holding up a Pokeball. 

Geodude went inside the Pokeball, and Brock minimized it.

"It looks like you trained it better. But still, it's no match for Onix! Go!" Brock said, throwing out a new Pokeball.

It was no surprised when Onix appeared before them. Pikachu looked scared once again. In fear, Pikachu curled up and sprayed electricity everywhere. Laura ducked down as electricity flew her way. Ash jumped to the side as well. Electricity hit Onix in the neck, and he flew backwards. Electricity broke a rock on the stadium. And finally, electricity hit the lights, and caused them to light on fire.

"hey Pikachu, watch where you're aiming, huh?!" Ash said angrily.

Pikachu stopped, and looked up, just as Onix wrapped his tail around the mouse. Ash gasped as Pikachu was lifted into the air.

"Pikachu! Give it a thunderbolt!" Ash commanded.

This time, as Pikachu let out his electric power, Onix was affected immensely.

"Hang in there, Pikachu! it's working!" Ash shouted.

"Onix, bind it!" Brock shouted, irritated.

Misty, Laura, and Brock's siblings all gasped. Suddenly, Pikachu stopped with his electric attack, too weak to continue. Onix roared, and Laura looked worried. She was sure that Pikachu would get Onix down. Pikachu tried to sustain himself as he was being binded, but couldn't hold out any longer. Ash looked defeated again. Ash tightened his face and closed his eyes, ready to admit defeat. Before he could, he was interrupted.

"Onix, stop!" Brock said.

Onix let go of Pikachu, and Laura looked confused. Ash did as well, looking up. Onix let go of the beaten Pikachu.

"No, Brock! I want to play this match to the end!" Ash said, angrily.

Laura shook her head.

"Pikachu is weak." she said to herself. "Too weak to go on."

"There's no point in going on. I really don't want to hurt your Pokemon." Brock said.

Ash growled, and bent his head. Suddenly,the smoke from the fire on the lights made its way to the sprinklers, and they went off, spraying the stadium, as well as covering Onix. This was Ash's chance! Laura thought. Rock types were weakened by water, and electricity could cover body's of water in seconds! Onix roared, as he was hit by the water, and fell to the ground. Ash looked up in surprise.

"Ash! This is your chance!" Laura shouted, getting Ash's attention. "Onix is covered in water, and Pikachu can electrify the water on him, causing more damage!"

"Pikachu!" Ash said, turning back to the battlefield.

Pikachu let out an electrifying power. Looks like he wasn't beaten after all. The electricity surrounded the water on him, and Onix let out another loud yelp. 

"Onix!" Brock shouted, worriedly.

"Pikachu, finish it off!" Ash commanded.

Suddenly, Ash felt a pull, and a moment of realization came over him. 

"My conscience is holding me back! I can't bring myself to beat Brock!" Ash started.

Laura wondered if he noticed all the children on him.

"I'm imagining his little brothers and sisters stopping me from beating the one person they love!" Ash said.

So he did notice. Just didn't think it was real.

"Look down." Laura said.

Ash opened his eyes, and looked at himself, covered in children.

"You leave Onix alone! My brother worked hard raising it, you big bully!" Said one of the boys, hanging from the front of Ash's neck.

"Believe me kid. I'm no bully." Ash said, looking a little nervously at the boy.

"Stop it! Get off, all of you. This is an official match. And we're going to finish it, no matter what." Brock said, irritated.

"But Brock, we know that you love your Pokemon, so much!" said a little girl, hanging off of Ash's left shoulder.

"That's why we can't let Onix suffer from another attack!" said a scratchy voiced boy, who was hanging off of Ash's right arm.

"Pikachu, return!" Ash said, as Pikachu came running to him.

Laura wondered why Ash had given up so easily. Laura would've finished Onix off for all it was worth. 

"What do you think you're doing? This match isn't over yet, Ash." Brock said angrily.

Ash set down a small boy, as the rest of the children climbed off of him.

"Those sprinklers going off was just an accident. Winning the match because of that wouldn't have proved anything." Ash said. "Next time we meet, I'll beat you my way fair and square."

Laura quickly ran down the observers balcony, Charmander on her shoulder. She followed Ash, and waved a goodbye to Brock. 

"Maybe..." Brock said to himself, although Laura heard.

Misty sighed.

"Just when he gets a lucky break, he decides to be a nice guy too..." Misty said.

Laura and Ash were walking out of town now, and Laura had to look at Ash.

"Why did you stop? You were so close." She said.

"I didn't want to win the match because of those sprinklers. It's cheating." Ash said.

Ouch.

"I would've done it..." Laura said with a shrug, and a sad look on her face.

"Oh, sorry." Ash said nervously.

Ash then apologized for being tough on Pikachu, and Pikachu responded with a cute chirp.

"Hey, hey! Wait up! Ash! Laura!" said Brock's voice. 

Laura turned around and saw him, dashing to them. 

"Brock?" Ash and Laura said at the same time.

Brock stopped to catch his breath. 

"Ash, you forgot this." Brock said, regaining himself and holding out his hand.

Resting on his palm was a grey Boulder badge, like that of the one Laura had received the other day.

"A badge? For defeating a gym trainer?" Ash said, staring at it. "I can't accept that. I didn't beat you. I gave up."

Ash looked away sadly.

"Nah. I lost to you. You beat me in battle, and being kind to all Pokemon." Brock said kindly.

"But-" Ash started.

"To tell you the truth, I get more pleasure from raising Pokemon than from making them battle. I don't care about becoming a great Pokemon trainer. I want to become the worlds best Pokemon Breeder! But I can't leave here, because I have to look after my brothers and sisters. Ash, I want you to take this, and for you and Laura to fulfill my dream! Can you both do it?" 

Laura nodded, and Ash smiled, nodding as well.

"We will." Ash and Laura said at the same time.

"And I'll do my best to deserve this too." Ash said, taking the badge from Brock's palm.

"Brock..." said a deep voice, Laura recognized as Flint's. "You go follow your own dream."

Laura gave Flint a small wave. 

"Hey, Flint!" Laura said.

"Oh, Flint." Ash said, surprised.

Without answering, Flint reached for his beard, and peeled it off. It was a fake. Then, he reached for the hat on his head, and underneath it was very spiky hair, which resembled Brock's own.

"What?! You're Brock's father?!" Laura said, surprised.

"My father." Brock said in disgust, glaring at Flint.

"Huh?! You mean, you're the good for nothing father who left home and never came back?!" Ash said, his face wide.

"That's right, it was me...I couldn't become the great Pokemon trainer I wanted to, and because I was such a failure, I was too embarrassed and ashamed to go back to my family..." Flint said, sadly.

"But why did you help me instead of Brock?" Ash asked, which Laura was also curious about.

"You reminded me of myself. You didn't seem to have a chance." Flint said.

"Ouch." Laura said, as Ash put on a sulking face.

"It's time I started taking care of my family. You go fulfill your dreams, and mine." Flint said, ignoring Ash and Laura.

"But first there are a few things I need to tell you." Brock said, still frowning.

"After all these years, I understand how you must feel about me, so I want you to get everything off your chest." Flint said.

Brock reached into his vest, digging in an inner pocket, before pulling something out in his clenched hand.

"Here." Brock said, placing it in Flint's gloves.

Flint brought up what was placed in his hand, and looked at it, as if it was a joke. Je was holding a needle, and a spool of thread. 

"Susie rips her dresses, so you better learn how to sew, and Timmy only eats cold spaghetti for breakfast, Tommy likes Cornflakes for dinner-" Brock listed in run-off sentences.

"Slow down, I can't write that fast!" Flint said, writing everything on notepad.

"Cindy sleepwalks, so you have to tie a bell on her wrist, the twins never want to take a bath, so you have to..." Brock went on and on about each of his siblings.

...

It was night, and the group was walking with each other, heading to the next town.

"Hey, Laura and Ash, are you sure it's okay that I go with you on your Pokemon Journey?" Brock said, smiling.

"Sure we're sure!" Ash and Laura said at the same time.

"The more the merrier!" Ash added. "And it's good to have more than one person to talk to, other than Laura."

Laura smiled, happy he felt that way.

"Well...what about that other girl, that keeps following you?" Brock asked, looking behind his shoulder.

Laura and Ash turned as well, to see an angry looking Misty, stomping behind them.

"Don't forget about my bike, little losers!" Misty shouted, continuing to walk. "I'm gonna follow you until you pay me back!"

Ash and Laura stopped in their tracks, sweating. 

"We know!" Ash and Laura shouted.

"Come on, let's try to lose her!" Ash said, grabbing Laura's wrist and pulling her along.

Laura was very surprised at first, but got used to it and kept running.

"Wait up, guys!" Brock said, running after them.

"You guys won't get away!" Misty shouted, running right after Brock.

Suddenly, Laura saw a hole, and three heads popped out.

"I told you I'd get us out of this." said a male voice, the head with blue hair.

"This was all-" said the pink haired head. 

But she was cut off when Ash stepped on her head, and Laura stepped on the male's head. It was Team Rocket!

Laura kept running, but yelled, "Sorry!" to Team Rocket.

"You're fault!" the pink haired lady screamed.

So the group continued running off into the distance, wondering where the rest of their journey would take them.

The group of four were hiking on their way to Mount. Moon, where many strange things are said to happen. Pikachu was asleep on Ash's backpack, and Charmander was walking besides Laura. 

"Mount. Moon! Doesn't the name sound romantic?" Misty said, enthusiastically.

"Kind of." Laura answered.

"People say that a huge meteor once crashed into the mountain back in prehistoric times." Brock said, informatively

"Wow." Laura said, her eyes becoming wide.

"A meteor." Ash commented. 

"Is it really true?" Misty asked.

"Probably. This sort of thing happens sometimes." Laura said, shrugging.

"The meteor is called the Moonstone." Brock said, gripping his backpack straps.

"Ah, now that's romantic!" Misty enthused.

Suddenly, an unknown voice was heard, and Pikachu bounced awake. The sound was like a shriek of despair.

"Ahhh!" the voice yelped.

"Look!" Ash said.

"Over there!" Laura yelled, starting to run towards the voice.

As the group approached the voice, they saw a bunch of flying bat-like Pokemon. Laura immediately took out a Pokeball, but Misty grabbed her arm before she could make it expand.

"Chill for a minute, would you? Someone was screaming." Misty said.

Laura sighed, and shoved the Pokeball back into one of her short pockets. Underneath the hoard of attacking Pokemon was a hunched over figure, a man yelling, his hands over her head. He had brown hair, light skin, and a white lab coat on. His face was close to the ground, and unseen. The creatures was a  blue, bat-like Pokémon. While it lacked eyes, it had pointed ears with purple insides and a mouth with two sharp teeth on each jaw. 

"Charmander, help defeat those Pokemon, and use Ember!" Laura said, as Charmander ran out to help.

"It's a bunch of Zubat!" Ash exclaimed.

"Dexter, analyze!" Ash said, as Charmander helped attack the Zubat.

"Zubat is a flying Pokemon with supersonic powers. Zubat live in caves and hate to fly outside in daylight." Dexter said, informatively.

"What are they doing, then?" Laura shouted over the shrieks of the Zubat, while giving Charmander different orders. 

"I'm not sure..." Ash said.

Misty stomped up to Ash in a hurry. 

"This is no time for Pokemon information, that guy needs our help! Laura's Charmander can't take all those Zubat!" Misty shouted in Ash's face.

"Yeah, no kidding!" Laura said, a couple Zubat returning to the cave.

"You're right, I'm sorry." Ash started. "Pikachu, Thundershock!" Ash commanded.

Pikachu sat on Ash's head, as his cheeks started to light up, preparing for an electrical attack. Pikachu jumped off of Ash's head, with a hearty squeal, shooting sparks from his cheeks, helping Charmander with the rest. The rest of the Zubat there flew back into the cave. The strange man was in shock, squeaking out random yelps. His face was turned over, and he had blue eyes, with large round glasses. Laura and Ash ran up to the man.

"Are you okay?" They asked at the same time.

"Wow! You guys are the greatest!" the man ranted, pulling Ash and Laura into a hug by their heads. "I'm talking superfantabulistic! I mean two thumbs up, way up! Best rescue I've ever had!"

Laura couldn't breath under his type grip, and Pikachu, who was in-between Ash and the man, let out a shock. Laura yelped in pain, as Pikachu cracked under pressure. The man let go as he was being shocked, and he screeched too, Ash in pursuit of the same antic. The man fell over after Pikachu was done, while Laura and Ash teetered a bit.

"They say mans best friend is a Pokemon, and with the four of you I believe it!" the man said, straitening his glasses and getting up from the ground.

"Thanks!" Laura said with a smile.

"Oh, that's nice." Ash said, more in shock than thanks.

Laura elbowed him, and he changed his tone.

"Yeah, uh, thanks!" he said hurriedly.

"I'm so moved! Such friendship I thought I'd never see! When the Zubat began attacking me, I thought I was done for, when who should arrive, four heroes thanks to whom I'm alive!" the man over exaggerated.

Laura started to sweat, and she gave a sheepish smile.

"How sweet..." she said, nervously.

"I'm alive!" he shouted.

It seemed as though he held the 'I' in alive a bit long. 

"Thank you so much! Thank you!" he shouted, his voice echoing through the mountain.

"It was no problem, really..." Laura said, starting to become sick of his ranting.

Tears were streaming down the mans face, as he smiled, his arms wide open.

"He sure doesn't look like the poetic type." Misty said.

"Tell me about it." Laura commented.

"Did I mention how grateful I am?" the man said, standing up and grabbing Laura's wrists.

"Yes, many times." she said, giving him a sheepish smile.

"Anyway, why were the Zubat attacking you, mister?"

The man gasped, and suddenly, Laura became quite afraid.

"Never call me mister!" he said angrily. "My name's Semore, Semore the Scientist." 

Laura looked at Semore, and thought of Gary, the rude boy from the beginning of their journey. She wondered if he would stop to help Semore.

"Knowledge. Research. I'm Semore the Scientist!" he exclaimed, his rubber boots glistening in the sunlight.

"We get it..." Laura said, a bit rudely.

...

Soon, the group of four, including Semore, were inside the cave. Lightbulbs were strung on both sides of the walls in the cave, which explained why the Zubat came into daylight.

"See? The cave is all lit up inside. Somebody has strung these lights up in the whole cave. But the Pokemon in this cave need the dark! These lights are upsetting them and making them confused!" Semore said, his face full of grief..

"But why would someone do that?" Laura asked, as Charmander followed by her side.

"I'm not sure. But whoever they are, they should be stopped." Semore said sadly.

"Which is probably why the Zubat left the cave, and attacked you." Brock provided.

"I agree." Laura said with a nod.

"Look here. These Paras are planting their mushrooms everywhere! And the hot lights are drying up these Sandshrew." Semore provided.

Paras was an orange, insectoid creature resembling the nymph stage of a cicada. Its ovoid body was segmented, and it had three pairs of legs. The foremost pair of legs were the largest and had sharp claws at the tips. There were five specks on its forehead and three teeth on either side of its mouth. It had circular eyes with large pupils. Two pink mushrooms grew on its back, and the mushrooms had yellow spots on them. Then there were Sandshrew. Sandshrew was a bipedal mammalian Pokémon, but ran on all fours. Its yellow hide was dry, tough, and blended in with desert sand. It had a brick pattern, but its underbelly and muzzle were white. Sandshrew had blue, almond-shaped eyes, a pointed snout, and triangular ears with white insides. Its tail was thick and conical. It had two long claws on each foot and three sharp claws on its forepaws, which were used to burrow.

Pikachu and Charmander shuddered as they saw the poor Pokemon.

"That's why I'm here. On patrol to protect the mountain from the troublemakers attacking against these caves!" Semore said.

"Troublemakers?" Misty and Laura said at the same time. "Why attack a cave?" Misty finished.

Semore stopped dead in his tracks, stopping the others from going deeper into the cave.

"I'm afraid it's because of the moonstone." Semore said, worriedly.

"I don't get it. Why the moonstone? Is it valuable?" Laura asked.

"Not quite, but to science, it is extremely valuable. The moonstone is an awesome boulder, a million years old, or even older! Deep in these caves, the meteor hides, though no explorer has found the place, of the legendary rock from space! We've studied these fragments from many an hour, and discovered it increases a Pokemon's power. And that is why the attackers are hear, they've come to take the moonstone, or so I fear." Semore poetically said, acting out the different rhymes.

"I almost shed a tear." Laura rhymed along.

"The moonstone?" Ash asked.

"Ever since I was a little boy, I believed that Pokemon came to earth from outer space!" Semore exclaimed.

"From outer space?!" Everyone exclaimed.

"Yes. And where you ask is the spacecraft that brought them to earth? In this cave! It's the moonstone." Semore said.

"Really?!" Laura asked, in awe.

"Yes." Semore said, nodding his head.

"It sure is an original theory." Misty said.

"But don't you see? It means the moonstone belongs to the Pokemon! We humans must not take it from them!" Semore shouted.

Semore eyed Laura, and grabbed her hands, looking into her eyes.

"You agree with me, don't you?!" he asked.

"Uh, yeah." laura said uncomfortably.

Suddenly, a small cute chirping noise sounded from inside the tunnel, and Laura turned to see another Pokemon. The Pokemon was a bipedal, pink Pokémon with a chubby, vaguely star-shaped body. A small, pointed tooth protruded from the upper left corner of its mouth. It had wrinkles beside its black, oval eyes, dark pink, oval markings on its cheeks, two small wings, and large, pointed ears with brown tips. A tuft of fur curled over its forehead, much like its large, upward-curling tail. Each stocky arm had two small claws and a thumb on each hand, and each of its feet had a single toenail. The Pokemon had some sort of rock in its hand, it it was bouncing through the tunnel, smiling brightly.

"Alright, a Pokemon!" Laura said, breaking away from Semore's grasp.

Semore looked at the Pokemon as well.

"That looks like a...Clefairy!" Brock said, enthusiastically.

"It's so cute!" Misty gasped.

Dexter analyzed the Pokemon, as Ash held it out.

"Clefairy. This impish Pokemon is friendly and peaceful. It is believed to live inside Mount. Moon, although very few have ever been seen by humans.

"Neat! I'm gonna catch it!" Laura said, taking out a Pokeball.

"No, I will!" Ash said, taking out a Pokeball of his own.

"You can't! Neither of you!" Semore said, grabbing their arms.

"But why?" asked Laura, a bit disappointed.

Before Semore could answer, Clefairy had hopped out of sight, down a different tunnel.

"Sorry, but it's best if you just let it stay here. I hope you understand." Semore said, still grasping them.

Laura paused, then nodded, knowing that it'd be difficult to adapt to an on-the-road lifestyle.

"Sure, Semore. We understand." Ash said.

Semore let go of them, and then Clefairy's cry could be hear throughout the tunnel it went down. Everyone gasped, looked that way, and started to run over to the sound. When they got there, Meowth was standing on top of a ledge, while Clefairy was huddled in a corner.

"I should have known Team Rocket was up to this. It's just like them to stoop this low." Laura growled.

"Team who?" Semore asked.

"Eh? What're you doing here?" Meowth asked.

"Looking for troublemakers like you." Ash growled.

Suddenly, Pikachu and Charmander hopped over to Clefairy, and started to socialize with it, probably to get it to run. 

"So Team Rocket is causing all the trouble down here. What a surprise." Ash said sarcastically.

"We've got to stop them before they start anymore trouble." Brock said.

"No kidding, wise guy." Laura said, as Brock shrugged innocently.

"Trouble?" sounded Jessie's voice.

"Make that double." James' voice said.

"Jessie."

"James."

Suddenly, Jessie and James had slinked out of the shadows, holding a shovel and pickaxe.

"Surrender now, or prepare to fight!"

"Meowth, that's right!"

"They sure are showoffs." Semore said, annoyed.

"Tell me about it." Laura sighed.

"Don't you guys ever get tired of saying the same things over and over?" Ash asked, sweating.

"You're all just jealous." Jessie said. 

"Because we won't let you join us." James smirked.

"No, we really aren't." Laura said, shrugging.

"Foolish little girl." Jessie growled.

"Never mock us!" James snarked.

"We'd never join up with he likes of you!" Ash growled.

"You put the lights in this cave, it's you're fault the Pokemon in this cave are so confused!" Brock yelled, clenching a fist near his face.

"What a shame." Jessie said sarcastically.

"How will we ever forgive ourselves." James mocked.

"We want to get our hands on the moonstone so we can power up our Pokemon with it." Meowth said, grinning.

"With the moonstone in our hands, nothing can stop us." Jessie said, holding up a hand as if the moonstone was settled there.

"Too bad!" Laura said.

"Because we won't let you get away with it!" Ash yelled.

"You want a rock? Take one of these and get lost!" Brock said, motioning to all the rocks in the cave.

"Get lost? How rude." Jessie frowned.

"Let's teach him manners." James glared.

In an instant, Jessie and James threw their tools to the floor, and they clattered to the ground with a thud. Brock, Laura, and Ash reached for their pockets and belts, searching for a Pokemon. Laura, only having two, decided upon Weedle, a lesser trained Pokemon. Ash, Brock, and Laura supersized their Pokeballs.

"Keep an eye on Semore and Clefairy." Ash said to Misty. "Run for it when you get the chance."

"Right." Misty said with a nod.

Jessie and James jumped from their positions, throwing their Pokeballs out of their palms. 

"Ready or not!" Jessie shouted.

"Butterfree, I choose you!" Ash shouted.

"Here we go!" Brock yelled.

"Weedle, your time to shine!" Laura said.

All three tossed their Pokeballs, and they hit the ground in an instant. Between Butterfree and Zubat, Weedle was small. 

"Ah man, you got a Zubat! No fair, I want one!" Laura pouted.

"I captured it right before we entered the cave!" Brock smirked.

"Why didn't I think of that?" Ash asked himself, disappointed.

Ekans and Koffing appeared in front of them.

"Three against one, that's no fair!" James said, angrily.

"It's a dinky Weedle, we can handle it!" Jessie shouted.

"Hey! Lay off my Pokemon and I'll lay off yours!" Laura shouted. 

"Koffing, Smog attack!" James commanded.

"Weedle, use Poison Sting!" Laura instructed.

Weedle was slow in movement, but quick when it came to his stinger. He shot the needle from his head, and it clogged itself in one of Koffing's craters. Koffing started to cough, miraculously, and his Smog went everywhere, but thanks to Butterfree and Zubat's wings, the smog was pushed back to the opposite side of the field, surrounding the opposing team. Jessie and James were also clouded in smog.

"Now's our chance!" Misty said, pushing Semore along.

Ekans jumped from the smog, and was headed for Butterfree.

"Weedle, Poison Sting again!" Laura quickly gasped.

Weedle immediately shot his stinger, and it regrew in his head once more. The stinger went for the side of Ekans' neck, and just as the snake was to bite Butterfree, the stinger pierced itself into his neck, sending the snack wild. It didn't poison the Pokemon, but it did inflict some critical damage. Koffing, however, took this chance to bash into Zubat, causing him to fly over to the trainers.

"Zubat, hang on!" Brock yelled. "Go Supersonic!"

Zubat held open his mouth, and sightless waves flew from his mouth, hypnotizing the opposing Pokemon. Soon, they were overcome with confusion and started to attack each other. Ekans wrapped itself around Koffing, while Koffing spilled smoke from it's craters.

"Oh no!" James gasped.

"Ekans, Koffing!" Jessie shouted.

"What's the matter with you weaklings?!" James demanded.

"Ekans and Koffing are getting confused!" Brock smirked.

"Butterfree, Whirlwind, now! Blow them all the way out of the cave!" Ash commanded.

Butterfree flew high, close to the ceiling and started to flap his wings rapidly. The wind knocked over the ball that Ekans and Koffing were in. The wind was so powerful that it even knocked over Jessie and James. Weedle even started to fly too, but Laura jumped up and caught him, hugging him close to her chest while keeping herself planted on the ground.

"Team Rocket blasted off!" James yelled.

"You may have won this round, but we'll be back!" Jessie screamed.

Laura stood, and looked to where Jessie and James disappeared with their Pokemon. She smiled brightly, not looking at Weedle yet.

"We did it! Yeah!" Ash shouted.

Laura ran up to Brock and Ash, as they all did an elbow lock.

"Excellent Teamwork!" Brock commented.

Suddenly, Brock looked at Laura's arms, and his smile disappeared.

"Laura, look!" he gasped.

Laura looked into her arms, and she no longer held a weedle. She held a Kakuna. The brown Cocoon stared at her with big eyes, before closing them happily. Laura gasped happily, and hugged the Kakuna tight, but not too tight in fear of crushing the Pokemon.

"Congrats!" Ash smiled. "Wait, aren't we forgetting something?"

"Yeah..." Brock frowned.

There was a moment of silence as everyone thought. Laura then realized that only Jessie, James, Ekans, and Koffing flew away. But Meowth didn't.

"Where's Meowth!" Everyone gasped.

Brock ran off first, and Ash grabbed Laura's wrist before her started running. Laura soon caught up after returning Kakuna, and Charmander started to dash after her. All the trainers ran past the fellow Pokemon in the cave, skipping over pebbles and rocks. Soon, they found the entrance, not much light flooding into the cave. They ran out, and searched around the area, not finding anything Meowth related. But when they heard the shrieks of Clefairy, they knew something was up. The dashed towards the sound, jumping over sharp rocks, sliding down the mountain side, and arriving at a river, which Charmander was extra careful around. They then found Misty standing in the water, Semore sitting in it, and Clefairy balancing on a rock holding the moonstone.

"Is everybody alright?" Ash asked.

"Yeah, we heard Clefairy's scream!" Laura said.

Misty closed her eyes, smirking.

"We won't be bothered by Meowth anymore, thanks to Misty the Mighty!" Misty announced, shrugging.

...

"What's that?" Ash asked.

Evening had fallen upon the group, and everyone had spent a nice couple hours at the river. They waded in the water, they enjoyed the nice warm sun, and they all conversed, making each other laugh. Now, they were enjoying a nice dinner, prepared by Brock.

"This is Pokemon food, made from my own secret recipe. The ingredients are specially blended for each Pokemon." Brock said, as he fed one of the bite sized cylinders to Zubat.

Brock was holding a canister of what was filled with Pokemon food. Each one was brown, and small. They weren't round, but like I mentioned, cylinder shaped. Brock handed a couple pieces to everybody so they could feed their Pokemon.

Laura let out Kakuna. She gave one of the pebbles to Charmander, who devoured it happily. Although, when she tried to give it to Kakuna, he wouldn't open his mouth, or what she hoped was his mouth.

"Why won't Kakuna eat?" she asked Brock.

"Kakuna is resting. He has no mouth, and needs to relax until he's ready to become a Beedrill." Brock explained.

"Oh." Laura said.

She kept the extra Pokemon pellet in her hand. Ash's Butterfree was happily munching upon one of the pieces of food.

"How does it taste?" Ash asked his Butterfree.

"I've been developing it for years. I keep improving on the recipe." Brock continued explaining. "I'll make a batch for Pikachu and Charmander."

"Thanks." Laura nodded.

"I-I'll try some." Semore said.

He plucked a piece of the Pokemon food from the canister and popped it into his mouth. He started chewing, and soon considered the taste.

"Mm. Not bad." He admitted.

"Really?" Ash asked. "Let me taste."

"I'll try too." Laura said, as she looked at the piece still in her palm.

She and Ash popped it into their mouths, and started chewing. The pellet was crunchy, but easy to bite through. It settled upon Laura's tongue for a minute, before she spit it out in disgust.

"Ew! Sorry Brock, not for me!" she complained.

Ash chewed his for a minute, and his nose went blue, as he started shivering and squelching.

"You guys may not like it, but the Pokemon sure do." Brock said, looking sheepish.

Charmander, Pikachu, and Clefairy were discussing something in Pokespeak upon a rock. Clefairy clutched the moonstone she held protectively. Everyone seemed to be staring at them.

"Pikachu and Charmander make friends so easily!" Ash commented. "I wonder what they're talking about."

Suddenly, Pikachu stood up and raised his hand, Clefairy getting to her feet too. Charmander let out a small squeal to gather the trainer's attention.

"What's up, Pikachu?" Ash asked.

Clefairy then hopped away, and Pikachu jumped after her, followed by Charmander. The group then got up and followed the Pokemon.

...

Night had fallen, and the group had ended up following the Pokemon up a hill.

"Guys, where on earth are you taking us?" Ash asked.

"We've been walking for hours, and I'm tired..." Laura complained.

The Pokemon jumped through a bush, and the group followed them. They looked before them to see a large hole into a stone wall that scoped up.

"It's another cave!" Ash and Laura said.

Before long, they had already started to venture the dark tunnels, and in a matter of minutes, the Pokemon led them to a very large room inside the cave. As everyone saw what was lying in the room, they awed at it. The cave had an open ceiling, and the moon and stars shined through the cave room.

"It's the core of the moonstone!" Semore gasped.

"This feels like a dream!" Misty said, smiling.

"So the moonstone legend is true." Brock mused, still sticking to a straight face.

"It's so sparkly." Laura said, gazing upon the boulder.

"Look, Clefairy's doing something!" Ash said.

Clefairy had hopped up to the stage where the moonstone lay, and around it, Laura noticed, were small smooth stones. They sparkled like the moonstone itself, and they were all aligned perfectly. And there was only one spot missing. Clefairy stopped next to the empty spot, and bent down, placing the fragment of moonstone she was holding into the empty slot. Suddenly, all the stones around the moonstone started to glow a light blue, and the moonstone itself lit the same color in a matter of seconds. As if on cue, bunches of different Clefairy made their way into the large room, chanting as they walked in from different tunnels.

"Awe, I really want to catch one!" Laura whined.

"There's so many of them." Misty said, in a bit of shock.

The Clefairy that the group had befriended had walked to face them, as all the other Clefairy turned to the group as well. The Pokemon seemed to be chanting something, as if talking to the others without eye contact. It waved its arms in the air, and then bowed.

"I think it's saying hello." Ash laughed.

"They're so cute!" Laura mused.

"Yeah!" Brock smiled.

"Oh, look at them!" Misty pointed out.

Laura looked upon the Pokemon, and her eyes went wide. They were all jumping, and seemed to be dancing to a sort of tune they chimed. They all twirled around as they jumped in three large circles.

"Amazing!" Semore commented. "These Clefairy formed their own society. This is an incredible sight!"

Suddenly, it came to Laura's mind that Clefairy, Pikachu, and Charmander had talked a lot, and no one knew quite what it was about.

"Charmander, what have you all been telling each other anyway?" Laura asked.

Pikachu started to wave his arms to the right, and Charmander started t wave his to the left.

"You understand that?" Semore asked.

"Nope." Laura admitted.

"Of course I do! It's my Pokemon." Ash butted in. "The Clefairy collect all of these rocks and...do the macarina!"

Pikachu tensed up, and Laura could tell that was the wrong answer. He fell to the floor, but quickly got back up. Then, Pikachu made an 'X' with his arms, confirming the answer was incorrect. Pikachu grabbed the Clefairy that the group had met, and pointed to her. Then, he picked her up.

"The Clefairy pick up?" Ash questioned.

"A pickup truck?" Brock asked.

Pikachu pointed to Misty, a smile on his face. Misty then pumped a fist.

"Raising! I've got it!" Misty smiled.

Pikachu waved his hands around, and Misty seemed to understand what he meant.

"Sounds like raising..." she said.

"Praising? Praising the moonstone?" Laura guessed.

Pikachu and Charmander clapped their hands, and Laura pumped a fist, happy she had gotten it right.

"Alright!" Brock and Misty exclaimed.

"Is it because the moonstone fell from the heavens?" Semore asked to no one in particular.

"Then maybe the legends are true. Maybe the moonstone really did come from space." Misty thought aloud.

"Yeah." Ash said, looking at her.

"Yeah! I wonder if anything's inside of it?" Laura mused enthusiastically.

"Of course! It all makes sense now!" Semore twirled as he shouted.

"Huh?" Laura asked.

"What does?" Ash asked.

"Outer space! Pokemon, and the human race will ride the moonstone into space! First to the moon, then to Mars, then together to the stars!" Semore awed, his eyes shining.

"There he goes again with the poetry." Laura sweat dropped.

"Stars? That's our cue!" said a scratchy voice.

Laura recognized it immediately to be Meowth's voice. The group turned to see Meowth, Jessie, and James. Meowth was in the middle of them, and both of the teenagers gave the group icy smiles. James had his hand perched on his hip, and Jessie had her hands down by her sides.

"You guys don't know when to quit." Ash said, furrowing his eyebrows.

Laura rolled her eyes at them.

"Tell me about it." she commented, annoyed.

Semore seemed to snort a bit, before stepping forward and throwing his hands to the side.

"You keep away from the moonstone or else!" Semore yelled.

All the Clefairy looked worried, for they stopped dancing and turned to face Team Rocket. Charmander and Pikachu both seemed to want to protect them, so they stood in front of the hoard.

"Or else?" James said, pretending to be offended.

"I think we've been threatened." Jessie smiled icily.

Laura growled and held out a fist.

"Heck yeah, you have! Trust me when I say we can beat you again." Laura snarled.

"How cute, she thinks we can be beaten?" James said, giving Laura an icy smile.

"I'll show you!" Semore shouted, his knees shaking.

He started to yell, and he awkwardly started to run to Team Rocket.

"No, Semore!" Ash yelled.

"Stop!" Laura shouted.

Semore ignored them and closed his eyes as he ran. Meowth took note of this, and stuck his foot in front of Semore. When Semore's foot caught onto Meowth's, he stumbled forward, and fell on his face.

"Ouch..." Laura dragged, flinching.

Meowth just laughed and shrugged.

"Heh! Did ya have a nice 'trip'?" Meowth mocked.

Semore lifted himself off the ground so he was perched on her knees. His glasses were no longer on his face, and his eyes looked small.

"My glasses. I can't see a thing!" Semore panicked, patting the ground.

"Oh, Semore!" Misty said, frowning.

"That wasn't fair!" Ash shouted.

"No kidding, it's Team Rocket!" Laura commented.

"All's fair in a Pokemon match, boy!" Jessie said, ignoring Laura's comment.

"Enough talk!" James smirked.

"I agree! Let's go, Pikachu!" Ash yelled, pointing ahead of him.

Jessie and James already had their Pokeballs ready, and Pikachu was on the battlefield.

"Charmander, you too!" Laura commanded.

"Onix, let's go!" Brock said, run-in up beside the two.

Jessie and James threw their Pokeballs, and out appeared Koffing and Ekans, energized and ready to fight. The Clefairy were whimpering from behind, as they shook and repeated their names. Onix appeared from his Pokeball with a loud roar. Pikachu and Charmander climbed to the top of Onix, and they were perched on his head, towering above Ekans and Koffing menacingly.

"Let's show them that size doesn't matter! Ekans, underground!" Jessie commanded.

"Koffing, smokescreen." James said confidently.

Ekans jumped up, and dove underground, pebbles and rocks parting to let him through the cave flooring. Koffing flew up and sprayed brown gasses from it's craters. Suddenly, the smog surrounded the room, causing Pikachu, Charmander, and Onix to lose sight of everything. Laura and Ash coughed and waved away the smoke with their hands.

"Smoke won't stop us." Ash said in-between coughs.

He pulled a Pokeball from his belt and supersized it. He reeled his arm back, ready to throw the Pokeball.

"Pidgeoto, I choose you!" Ash shouted.

The Pokeball flew from Ash's grasp, and hurled through the air, disappearing into the smog. Laura could no longer see it, but she could see the blue light that struck through the smoke, as if lightening in a storm. Pidgeoto flew from the smoke, and Laura smiled under the hand blocking her mouth. Brock, Misty, Ash, and Laura continued to cough, shooing off the smoke that clouded their sight.

"Pidgeoto, shoo away the smoke!" Ash commanded.

Pidgeoto flew high up into the cave, and flapped his wings frantically, shooing away the smoke. All was clear, and Laura felt satisfied with the fresh air entering her lungs. Laura looked around for Team Rocket, but they weren't in front of her. She looked behind her, where the moonstone should have been. Should have been. The moonstone was no longer sitting in it's spot. A large hole was in the place of the moonstone.

"Huh? The moonstone is gone!" Ash exclaimed.

Laura nudged him.

"No kidding." Laura said.

"Team Rocket stole it!" Misty exclaimed.

"Obviously!" Laura shouted. "Now let's go get it back!" 

"Obviously!" Ash mimicked, pulling down an eyelid with a smile on his face. 

Laura rolled her eyes at him playfully, and smiled. She didn't even think about anything before jumping in the hole. She slid down the side, gasping at her bad decision. Everyone gasped, and Ash jumped in after her, soaring down to retrieve her.

"Onix, get them!" Brock commanded.

Onix soared down the hole, and as the others were falling, he grabbed the edge of their shirts in his mouth. They collided together, bumping into each other a bit, before Laura immediatley hugged Ash, scared.

"God, I'm stupid...oh God, thanks for trying to jump after me! What the...oh God!" she repeated, horrified.

Ash simply patted her back, sweating a bit.

"Uh...there there..." he murmured.

Onix had retrieved them, and brought them back up. Laura and Ash hit the ground with a small thud, and Laura got up. 

"Laura!" Brock said, running over to her. "Don't just jump in a deep hole! You could've been hurt!" he exclaimed.

Misty strutted over to Laura with her hands on her hips. When she was in front of the slightly small girl, she raised her hand, and swiped it, slapping Laura's face. 

"Ow!" Laura shouted grabbing her cheek.

"You're so stupid! You could've been killed!" Misty shouted.

Laura rubbed her cheek.

"I get it, I get it!" she repeated. "But we're wasting time! We need to find team Rocket!"

"Alright, Onix! Follow the tunnel underground!" Brock commanded.

The Pokemon slithered through the entrance of the hole, leaving a trail of rubble and pebbles after him. Ash and Laura ran to the entrance they came in, followed by Misty and Brock. Pikachu, Charmander, and Pidgeoto quickly followed behind their trainers. 

"There's still a chance to catch them!" Ash exclaimed.

"Semore, come on!" Laura shouted, stopping in her tracks.

"I-I'll stay here and protect the Clefairy!" Semore said triumphantly.

Laura nodded, before running to catch up with the group she almost left behind, Semore looking for his glasses still.

...

Ash, Misty, Laura, Brock, and the Pokemon had seen Onix burst from the ground, Team Rocket and their escape vehicle startled as they crashed into the rocky Pokemon. The sled they used as their escape burst into pieces, and the moonstone flew away from Team Rocket, still in one piece.

"Got 'em!" Ash exclaimed.

"Nice work, Onix! Grab them now!" Brock commanded.

Laura ran as fast as she could, tracing ahead of the group to the moonstone. Team Rocket lay on the ground dizzily, their Pokemon all unconscious due to the shock. Onix hurdled toward Team Rocket, after James regained sight.

"Koffing, counter attack!" James requested.

Koffing, carrying his permanent creepy smile, flew from his Trainer's side, and bounced off of Onix's head. Onix reacted so immensely, and he fell to the ground, hurt. Like a David and Goliath story, but Goliath was the hero. Laura ran to Onix, and pet his head gingerly.

"Onix!" Brock said, worriedly.

Brock quickly returned his rock Pokemon.

"Hey, look!" Ash said.

"It's-" Misty started.

"Semore!" Laura said, looking up.

Semore sat in a hole, looking around confused. His head and shoulders had popped from it, and he seemed to have found his glasses, for they were on his face. But Semore wasn't alone. Behind him, all the Clefairy that had lived in the cave, popped out from the hole, jumping around with smiles on their faces. They started to line up, facing Team Rocket, and in front of Semore.

"Meowth! What's going on?!" Meowth said to nobody in particular.

The Clefairy in the center raised his scrawny arms into the sky, followed by all the others. A lone finger pointed to the stars, from every Clefairy's hand. Suddenly, they started to wave their arms back and fourth, singing a tune out of their chant.

"Clefairy, Clefairy, Clefairy..." They went on.

"What are they doing?" Jessie asked, annoyed.

"Waving their fingers." James said, as if it was ineffective.

Just after he said the, Team Rocket started to move their upper body in beat with the chants and the waving of the Pokemon's fingers.

"This way, and that way, this way, and that way." Meowth said, following the movements.

Suddenly, Ash, Misty, Brock, and Laura started to do the same thing. Laura was a goof, so she spun in circles in her room whenever she was bored. The dizziness she received at the moment was nothing compared to that of the spinning in her room.

"I'm getting dizzy..." Misty said wearily.

"I'm used to it." Laura said, in as normal a voice as could be used.

"This is an attack that the Clefairy use called the Metronome." Semore said, clearly dizzy.

Pikachu and Charmander followed in with the head and body movement. Pikachu seemed unfazed by the movements, but Charmander had a dizzy look on his face.

"I've never seen the Clefairy use the Metronome before, who knows what'll happen." Semore said dizzily.

The Clefairy suddenly stopped with their movements, and put their arms down. Suddenly, a bright glow was emitted from the Moonstone that Team Rocket tried to make away with. With that, the Clefairy started to glow as well, and their brightness forced Laura to cover her eyes. Suddenly, the ground beneath them started to shake, and she could feel the movements of the earth below her. She could hear the earth crack before her, and she refused to look. And that's when the explosion took place. The Clefairy were shot into the sky, and Team Rocket with them, due to how close they were standing together.

"Well it looks like we're." Jessie started.

"Blasting off again..." James muttered in defeat.

"Thanks too the Metronome!" Meowth shouted.

"I give it two thumbs down." Jessie stormed angrily.

"Me too!" James approved.

"Meowth three!" Meowth finished.

A large hole was planted in the ground where the explosion took place. Laura had some ash on her face, and she wiped it away with her arm a bit. Suddenly, something fell from the sky. Upon seeing it, Laura thought it was snow.

"Is it snowing in the summer?" she asked.

"No, it's the moonstone." Semore corrected her, amazed.

"It must've exploded in the explosion." Laura thought aloud.

Laura couldn't take her eyes off the moonstone, and she was in awe as it slowly fell to the Clefairy. The Clefairy looked so utterly happy to see the moonstone, and they all eagerly waited for it to touch them. It suddenly touched a single head, and the Clefairy lit up. It touched another head, and one by one, all the Clefairy were glowing. Then, they weren't Clefairy anymore. They were Clefable! They all started to turn into Clefable, and Laura watched in awe. Clefable was a tall, pink Pokémon with a vaguely star-shaped body. It had long, pointed ears with dark brown tips and black, oval eyes with wrinkles on either side. A curled lock of fur hung over its forehead, much like its long, tightly curled tail. There were dark pink wings on its back, and each wing had three points. Its hands had three fingers each, and its feet had two clawed toes and dark pink soles.

"The Clefairy are..." Brock started.

"Evolving." Misty finished.

"I see." Laura stared in awe.

Ash took out his Pokedex, and scanned one of the Clefable. 

"Clefable. And advanced form of Clefairy. These unique creatures are among the rarest Pokemon in the world." the Pokedex announced.

"Rarest in the world?!" Laura enthused. "So cool! And we get to see a bunch right in front of us!"

"The power of the moonstone did this." Semore said. 

Their were quite a few Clefable, and still a couple Clefairy also there as well.

...

The Clefable and Clefairy were back in their cave, what was left of the moonstone back in it's place. They were all jumping around and dancing happily, and it made Laura feel all warm inside. Semore seemed to smile a bit, and then turned to the trainers.

"I decided to live here with the Clefairy!" he announced.

"Huh?!" everyone said, shocked.

"It's been my life's dream to find the moonstone. Someday I will travel to the stars with the Clefairy." Semore said, proudly.

"Wow." Misty said in awe.

"When you do visit outer space, I hope you remember to send us a postcard!" Brock half-joked.

Laura still thought Semore was a little looney, but liked his plan.

"Let us know when you're ready, so we can see space too!" Laura said with a smile and a thumbs up.

Everyone just stopped to look at the Clefable and Clefairy, including Pikachu and Charmander. They all looked very happy around the moonstone, and Laura knew that the Pokemon - and Semore - would live here happily together. And this simple thought filled her with joy, and made her smile.

"You know what? I think you'll enjoy it here." Laura said to Semore, without looking at him.

She just smiled while looking at the Clefairy and Clefable.

"I think so too." Ash said, smiling at Laura.

Laura turned to Ash, the very slightly taller boy grinning at her. She smiled at him too, and wrapped her arm around his friend, as they continued to look at the Pokemon. Ash, wrapped his arm around Laura too, both of them watching the Pokemon.

...

The next morning, the group of Trainers were ready to set off on their journey again.

"So long, Semore! Goodbye, Clefairy!" Ash shouted happily, waving.

"I'll miss you Semore! Take care of the Clefairy and Clefable!" Laura said, waving frantically.

"Goodbye Ash and Laura! Goodbye, Charmander and Pikachu! And thank you all!" Semore shouted.

Everybody waved their goodbye's, smiling.

"Do you think the Clefairy really came to earth from outer space?" Ash asked, as the group walked away.

"It's fun to imagine they did." Misty said enthusiastically.

"I guess we'll find out someday!" Laura said cheerily.

...

Ash, Laura, Brock, Misty, Pikachu, and Charmander were all walking simply along the path. They reached a path that cut into two, and a sign on the left side of the path. Brock read it aloud for everybody to hear.

"This road leads to Cerulean City." he read.

Misty seemed to have an unpleasant look on her face after Brock read the sign, something Laura noticed and took note of.

"Well, I guess we're headed the right way." Brock said, pleased. "There's something else scribbled here..."

Laura shrugged.

"I'm sure it was some stupid trainer, thinking that vandalism is so cool." Laura said, rolling her eyes, and looking at it.

She read it aloud.

"Gary was here...Ash and Laura are losers!" Laura said, shocked.

She growled angrily, and Ash did the same.

"Well, I got the stupid part right!" Laura yelled.

"Aw, that Gary!" Ash snarled. "We'll show you!"

Ash grabbed Laura's wrist, and started to dash down the path, clutching onto her as she caught up. Pikachu and Charmander were following behind them.

"What a jerk, that Gary!" Laura screamed.

"What's the hurry?!" Misty called.

"They'll never learn." Brock said, shaking his head.

And so, Ash and Laura raced towards their rival, ready for the next adventure, and their journey to the top.

This book has 1 comment.

TheMajorLeagueStoryWriter, Huntington, Indiana

"You have my Sword." Aragorn- the fellowship of the ring

hey, I love this story. I don't know if you are still writing, but if you are, keep going! it's amazing so far!