Resurrection | Teen Ink

Resurrection

By PunkFox, Staunton, Virginia
PunkFox, Staunton, Virginia

If the whole world says "no", you say "yes".

Author's note:

I originally wrote this story in the summer and early autumn of 2014 in the Seventh grade. Looking back on the first draft, I thought it was a load of cheese. Now, I've rewritten it and I hope that you might like this tale of friendship.

Fall is coming slowly to an end at Hogsmeade. There were occasional flurries that fell from clouds, but it was mostly the last leaves falling and very bitter air. Frances, a Ravenclaw student, was wearing a scarf of her house colors to keep her neck warm. She always wore the same sweater uniform to have her professors and headmaster know what house she is in. Frances walked along the street across until she heard a bloodcurdling scream from a distance.

What was that screaming coming from?

Frances went into the Three Broomsticks to know where it came from, as well as visiting her boyfriend, Shyrone, who was in Slytherin.

“Hello, Frances,” greeted the Slytherin student as he gave her a peck on the cheek, “It’s nice to see you again.”

“It’s nice to see you as well,” replied Frances. She sat down beside her love of her life.

“So what’s going on?” he asked.

“Moments ago, I heard some screaming from a distance,” stated the Ravenclaw student, “Where did it come from?”

“Well, if you say it was from a distance, it was a dragon.”

The bartender overheard the couple’s conversation and gave the couple one mug of butterbeer each.

“I don’t think it was a dragon,” said the bartender, “I say it was probably a ghost.”

“Nah,” replied Frances, “Probably a banshee.”

“Of course!” the bartender vouched, “A banshee lives in the Shrieking Shack!”

“The Shrieking Shack?” Frances and Shyrone looked at each other and back to the bartender.

“Yes,” the bartender replied, “The Shrieking Shack. Legend tells that the Shrieking Shack is filled with ghosts and banshees. That’s why sometimes, you would hear screaming like you witnessed a minute ago.”

“Ooooh…” the inter-house couple cooed in awe with a bit of fear.

“Well, it’s getting a little late,” burped Frances, “Let’s go back to Hogwarts, Shyrone.”

And so, Shyrone and Frances left the pub. As they were leaving from Hogsmeade, Frances noticed the headmaster, Demetrius Levisham.

“Headmaster Levisham!” exclaimed Frances, “What are you doing here?”

“I’m trying to figure out the source of the screaming from…”

“The Shrieking Shack!” stated Frances.

“Thank you for finding that out,” smiled Levisham as he ran down to the old house.

And so, Frances and Shyrone ran back to the castle.

Frances was trying to figure out what to wear for the Winter Solstice Ball. She couldn’t decide whether if she could wear her usual uniform or a fancy dress. Then she heard a screech and a hoot from her owl.

“What is it, Puck?” Frances asked, “Should I wear this dress?”

The owl shook his head.

“So, you think I should wear my uniform as of now?”

Puck nodded.

“Hm,” said Frances, “I figured that the dress is too fancy. Thanks, anyway.”

Frances hung her dress in the closet of the common room and she left the room without saying anything. As she went downstairs and through the halls of the school, she heard bells ring out telling her that it is quarter ‘til eight. Frances ran quickly towards the Great Hall, which was all ready decorated for Winter Solstice. There were icicles floating high above and snow-layered pine trees were where the professors would sit down and eat up front.

Students and professors were having a nice chat about the various topics they like until Headmaster Levisham enters the Great Hall with an unfamiliar looking person who wore nothing but a black cloak, boots, and a robe. The dark man also had a long beard and greasy hair and long fingernails that almost looked like claws.

“Attention,” projected Levisham, and the talking died down, “Now, I would like you to introduce the new professor for Defense against the Dark Arts, Professor Snape. He has already experienced teaching the past students before you came here, and please give him a warm welcome.”

Levisham gestured to Professor Flitwick to start the dance. Flitwick tapped his baton and conducted the school orchestra to play a waltz. As the waltz played in the hall, Snape shook hands with the other professors as well as a few students. He was stopped in his path when Frances came to greet him.

“Salutations!” greeted the Ravenclaw, “My name’s Frances Sampson.”

“Sampson? You mean you are a descendant of the Wise Wife of Keith?” Snape shook hands with Frances.

“Of course I am,” grinned Frances, “If my name’s not Sampson, then who am I?”

“Perhaps like any other muggle who doesn’t know magic,” chuckled Snape, “How about we waltz as we get to know each other?”

Frances nodded and took Snape’s hand and followed the same footsteps like the other waltzing couples. Meanwhile, Shyrone was glaring at the new couple with a hint of disgust and betrayal. He slowly walked away from the crowds to the moonlit hallways that will eventually get darker as he went down to the dungeons that lead him to the potions classroom.

Shyrone lit a doorside torch so he could see in the dark. He grabbed a potions textbook and turned several pages forward until he saw a drawing of a red-pink bottle on one of the pages.

Aha! How to create a love potion…

Shyrone read the pages and the ingredients to create the potion. He got the ingredients from several ingredient drawers and carefully read the steps on creating it so it won’t turn into a complete disaster. He placed the cauldron onto a boiler and the liquids started to bubble. Shyrone sprinkled moonstones, peppermint, eggs, and the thorns of a rose into the boiling liquids. He firmly stirred the cauldron until the liquids started to glow a rosy color and steam that was in that same color.

There! That’s done it…

The Slytherin student grabbed a bottle in the shape of a heart and scooped the potion liquids until the bottle looked full. He closed the bottle with a cork and left back to his common room, which also was in the dungeon hallways.

Back at the Great Hall, Frances filled a mug of butterbeer for her Winter Solstice feast and walked to the large crowd and stood beside her new friend, Professor Snape.

“I would like a toast…” announced Levisham, “…to winter.”

“To winter!” hollered the people in the Great Hall.

Frances soon drank the butterbeer out of the mug and soon, she belched.

“You know, I was wondering how you got here,” Frances stated.

“Oh! Umm…I was somehow awaken by a form of magic that kept me preserved to not decay as I was in a limbo,” replied the professor as he drank his mug of butterbeer, “So, how is your progress at school?”

“Well, I’m doing pretty well on my Defense against the Dark Arts,” said Frances, “But I’m having a little bit of trouble on Potions Class.

“Hmmm,” sneered Snape, “I’m always open for late-night tutoring.”

“Okay, then,” Frances smiled, “I figured that some of you would give me help.”

Just then, Edward, a first-year Hufflepuff, rushed into the Great Hall, panting.

“Heyheyhey!” barked Edward, “What did I miss?”

“The dance and the toast,” replied Frances to her brother, a bit annoyed, “I would like you to introduce the new member of the S.S. Hogwarts, Professor Snape.”

Snape sneered at the little brother.

“When will he keep his bloody attitude calm?” asked Professor Snape as Edward ran to his gang of first-years.

“Who knows?” replied the Ravenclaw, as she shrugged her shoulders, “He might be mature after I graduate here.”

Then, Frances started to yawn.

“Well, I guess it’s time to get ready for bed,” Frances got out of her seat and went back to her common room.

January 6th rolled around and learning continued as usual. For Frances, there was Potions for first class, then onto Divination; for the third class, there’s studying Ancient Runes, and finally, there was Defense against the Dark Arts, which was Frances’ favorite class. But Professor Snape offered Frances late-night tutoring and that is when Frances waited for Shyrone to have a quick talk before class would start. Just then, Shyrone walked up.

“Hey, Shyrone,” greeted Frances as she gave her boyfriend a hug, “I think we need to talk for a while.”

“Yes? Well, what is it then?” Shyrone asked in a bitter tone.

“Professor Snape offered me to do tutoring and…I believe those will mess up our dates together,” stuttered Frances, “I hope you don’t mind.”

“You mean our relationship is over??!!” the angered Shyrone snapped.

“I’m afraid so,” Frances sighed, “I’m sorry.”

Before Frances could enter the classroom she is stopped by her ex-boyfriend.

“It can’t be over!” exclaimed the Slytherin, “I created a love potion to restore it.”

Frances turned around to see Shyrone holding the potion.

“If our relationship’s over, then it is over,” stated Frances, “Now, if you kindly piss off, I have a class to learn.”

Then, Frances left him to the classroom.

Alright! Fine! I’ll do it, then! Shyrone thought.

Frances sat down on her desk, preparing to learn what lessons will be learned for the day. Snape quietly counted the students that were sitting down at their desks. Eventually, he counted an extra because Shyrone entered the class in a bad mood.

“Okay, class. Our lesson this week is about the creatures of the night,” Snape stated in his monotone voice, “Now, turn to page 389 to get started.”

The students turned their books to page 389 as told by their new teacher. Frances got to page 389, which was a page about vampires.

“Now,” began Snape, as he wrote the word vampire on the chalkboard, “What is a vampire and what do they do?”

Edward raised his hand as if he knows the answer.

“Yes, Edward?”

“Are they the ones with the rainbows and a pot of gold?” Edward innocently asked.

The class, except for Frances and Snape, erupted in laughter. Frances facepalmed due to the embarrassment she has to face through with her little brother.

This is why I want to be a single child… She thought.

“No, they are leprechauns,” replied Snape, “One point from Hufflepuff.”

As Snape sighed deeply, Frances raised her hand.

“Yes, Frances?”

“A vampire is a human-like being that lurks in the night searching for blood,” explained Frances, “Vampires always don’t go in daylight because if they do, they will be turned into ash.”

“A vampire is human blah, blah, blah…” muttered the mocking Shyrone.

“Would you please shut up?” demanded Frances.

“Thank you,” said Snape.

And so, Snape turned on a projector which shows pictures of vampires and videos about vampires. Snape also explained the ancient myth about the vampire, ways of becoming a vampire, and how to defend against a vampire. An hour and a half later, the bell rang and every student, including Frances, left the classroom.

“Remember, tutoring is tonight!” Snape called out as he leaned out of the room.

Frances nodded and went back to the Ravenclaw common room to study.

Later that night, after Frances ate her supper at the Great Hall, she went to the Hogwarts Library, a place where she usually studies for homework as well as read interesting books. She opened the door and went to her usual spot where she would read and study. She turned on the lamps on the table after that. A minute later, Professor Snape entered the library and looked for the Ravenclaw student.

“Ah! There you are,” said Snape as he found Frances.

Snape sat down and passed a sheet of paper about mixing a wit-sharpening potion. Frances got her quill out to prepare what Snape would have to say.

“I see that you have mistaken aardvarks for armadillos,” vouched the professor, “Write the differences between the two and write the correct animal on the blank line.”

“Got it,” replied Frances.

So, Frances wrote some notes about the aardvark and the armadillo.

The Aardvark is like the armadillo, except that it’s larger than the armadillo and has long pig-like snout to smell for food. The armadillo is a different species of mammal that dwells in Mexico and it curls up into a ball for defending itself.

Frances erased the word aardvark and replaced it with the word armadillo. She looked at Snape and slightly smiled at him. Snape also looked at the correction.

“Very good,” congratulated Snape, “Because you were probably in a rush to get this worksheet done, you assumed that an aardvark is an armadillo.”

So, Frances continued more with the tutoring until the bells rang at 10 PM. Meanwhile, at the Slytherin common room, Shyrone was doing late-night studying of his own, which was studying vampires and planning what to do when Frances walks by.

“Scorpius,” Shyrone began, “WHY WON’T FRANCES DRINK THIS STUPID POTION??!!”

Scorpius Malfoy, an older Slytherin student with very blonde hair, got up from his slumber and groaned as he turned on the bedside lamp.

“I don’t bloody know,” grumbled Scorpius, “Maybe it’s because she’s not interested in you anymore.”

“Pah!” scoffed Shyrone, “I’m going to have her drink it, the relationship will be restored, and Frances will obey to me only!”

“Yeah…” groaned Scorpius sarcastically, “Good luck…”

Scorpius fell asleep as Shyrone glared at a ripped sheet of paper which features a drawing of him and Frances watching the sun set. He grabbed his wand and burned the paper by muttering a spell to set fire.

Spring rolled along and throughout all of the late-night tutoring, Frances’ grades in Potions class improved greatly, especially she knew the difference between the armadillo and the aardvark for bile as an ingredient of a potion. Now, it was May, when all of the students were studying for O.W.Ls, N.E.W.Ts, and the final exams. Other than studying for exams, Frances had something else for her house: Quidditch. She, as the seeker, was planning a strategy with the Ravenclaw Team on one May day.

“…And then, we’ll do as much we can to have our team win,” said Henry, the captain of the Ravenclaw Team.

The other team members agreed with the plan.

“Yep, I can see it,” Frances nodded, “But Shyrone is also seeker of the Slytherin Team and his team is probably using this same strategy as well.”

Meanwhile, Shyrone walks nearby the Ravenclaw Team Tent. Some of the Ravenclaws nodded in agreement.

“Well. It looks like Frances is fighting for that bloody disgusting age gap of love,” sneered Shyrone, “We’ll see about that, mudblood.”

As Shyrone walked away, Frances gasped as if she was offended. In fact, she was offended.

“There, there, Frances,” sympathized Henry, “I know he doesn’t know the rules of a fair game but let’s hope and pray that we’ll win the game.”

And so, Team Ravenclaw went back to Hogwarts to continue studying for their exams. Later that night, as Snape was grading review schoolwork, he stumbled upon Frances’ review packet. Before he could write an “O” for “Outstanding”, he froze and stared at the window.

What were two shall be restored within a stronger bond of one!

The young man shall be filled with hate and dominance,

As the woman shall be his slave…

Then she shall bear children who shall grow up like their father!

Thus, the cycle of annexation shall continue for generations!!

Snape went out of his trance and figured what had said when he was in the trance. He thought of who were the man and the woman in that prophecy.

Frances! It can’t be! Thought Snape.

“If you can hear me, I loved you like a father,” he spoke.

The next day, the Ravenclaw Team flew down to the stadium, where their opponent team, the Slytherins, was waiting. The crowds were cheering for both of the two. Lee Jordan, a Gryffindor quidditch commentator, arrives at the tower.

“Hello, and welcome to the final Hogwarts quidditch game of this year!” He began, “Today’s game will be Ravenclaw versus Slytherin!”

The Ravenclaw crowd cheers for their team while the Slytherins cheered for their unstoppable team as well. Snape simply applauded, unsure if Frances will suffer the same fate foretold even if Ravenclaw would win. The teams circled up as they watched Madam Hooch, the quidditch coach, looked at them.

“Now,” she began, “I want a fair game from all of you.”

Hooch opened the trunk, which the bludgers and the golden snitch flew up.

“The bludgers are up, followed by the golden snitch,” announced Lee, “Remember, the snitch is worth 150 points. The seeker who catches the snitch ends the game.”

Hooch picked of the quaffle and tossed it into the air as she blew her whistle.

“The quaffle is up, Hooch blows her whistle, and the game begins!”

The two teams scramble off to several places of the stadium. They dodged the bludgers, and the Ravenclaws prepare the quaffle. Meanwhile, Frances tries to look for the snitch, which was buzzing elsewhere in the stadium.

Where is that snitch?

Then, a member of the Ravenclaw Team tossed the quaffle into one of the nets and a bell has rung. The Ravenclaw crowds cheered loud as the Slytherins booed.

“Pearl Taylor has scored 10 points for Ravenclaw!” cried the commentator.

Suddenly, a bludger hit Henry’s broom and Henry almost balance. Then, he was saved by being jinxed back onto the broom.

“Slytherin takes position of the quaffle,” commentated Lee, “Leonato passes it to the Slytherin Captain, Brutus Yorkshire.”

Brutus tosses the quaffle to his net, but it was stopped by Pearl, who threw the quaffle to Henry.

Brutus growls in frustration. Then, Henry tosses the quaffle to the net, while Shyrone was in the way.

“Oi!” shouted Shyrone as the bell rang, “You need to watch where you throw it!”

Then, an extra twenty points to Ravenclaw was scored. This time, the Slytherin team had enough of Ravenclaw’s clever wit. So, Brutus took possession of the quaffle once again and flew towards the net. He faces Pearl again.

“Look behind you!” shouted Brutus.

Pearl looked to the back in which a bludger hit her and she fell off her broom. So, Brutus threw the quaffle onto the net, the bell rang, and the Slytherin crowds cheered.

“Fantastic!” hollered Lee, “Brutus scores 30 points for Slytherin!”

Edward, a Hufflepuff supporting her big sister, watched and became worried.

“What is it?” asked a Ravenclaw classmate.

“I think that Frances might lose the game,” replied Edward.

“Don’t worry,” said the classmate, “Ravenclaw always had their wits when it comes to winning.”

Meanwhile, Snape watched Frances with a mix of support and worry.

Come on, you got this, my friend…

Back at the game, Shyrone found the snitch and started the chase it. Then, he stopped as he heard the bell ring. Shyrone groaned in annoyance.

“Electrifying! Another 10 points to Ravenclaw! The two teams are in a tie now!” said Lee.

“You can do it, Shyrone!” cheered Scorpius.

A bludger shot from nowhere and Frances dodged it as the bludger hit Brutus’ gut very hard. Back at Lee’s tower, Headmaster Levisham watched both of the Ravenclaw Team and the Slytherin Team plays their game, but the Slytherin Team got five points extra.

“Hmm,” said Levisham to Lee, “Do you think that Ravenclaw would win the game?”

Lee shrugged. Meanwhile, Frances was still looking for the snitch and then, it came right at her face. And so, Frances followed it. But Shyrone also flew into the way, cackling with laughter.

“You’ll never win this game, Frances!” shouted Shyrone.

“We’ll see about that!” replied Frances as she started to stand up on her broom.

Shyrone got his wand ready and aimed at the broom.

“Expelliarmus!” cries Shyrone as Frances catches the snitch and tumbles over the ground.

Frances got up and Lee watched her with the binoculars. Then, he saw Frances’ hand hold the snitch.

“Frances Sampson received 150 points for catching the snitch!” announced Lee, “Ravenclaw wins!”

Madam Hooch blows her whistle once again to end the game. The Ravenclaw crowds went wild as the Slytherin crowds groaned in despair. Snape, while watching the Ravenclaw Team witness victory, slightly smiled and applauded. Shyrone watched the Ravenclaws fly away, as he became angrier than before.

That evening at the Great Hall, banners of the Ravenclaw house were hung as a huge celebration for Frances saving the team from being lost. Henry stood up and raised a glass of butterbeer.

“Ravenclaw friends,” he began, “Let’s give a toast to our seeker, Frances Sampson.”

“To Frances Sampson!” says the rest of the Ravenclaws.

Then, the Ravenclaws started to sing a song of celebration.

“For she's a jolly good fellow, for she's a jolly good fellow

For she's a jolly good fellow…..and so say all of us!”

Frances smiled as she enjoyed being seen as a hero to her house.

“Aww, thanks guys,” said Frances.

And so, the Ravenclaws enjoyed their feast of celebration. Frances left the Great Hall, so she could have some quiet time on studying for her exam. She went upstairs that led to the Ravenclaw common. Since Frances was tired after a long day of competing, she muttered a charm that unlocked the door to her common room. She walked to her study desk, which a candle was already lit for extra light other than the light of the moon. Frances sat down and opened her book.

As she grabbed her quill, she noticed that her bookmark was replaced by a ripped piece of paper. Frances picked up the paper and read it.

YOU and ME, tomorrow MORNING!!

-Shyrone

Frances put her note away.

For what, Shyrone? For what?

She continued studying the pages about werewolves and the history about them until she couldn’t stay up any longer. Soon, Frances fell asleep.

The next morning, the sun shined on the Ravenclaw student’s back. Frances woke up and thought back about last night. She thought about that note which told her to meet Shyrone this morning. And so, she left her common room. Frances went to the Great Hall, which there wasn’t any sign of Shyrone. So, she left the Great Hall and went downstairs to the dungeons. Frances walked through the torch-lit halls until she saw a door. She opened the door and the Slytherin common room was lit with the green lights and the underwater view. Shyrone stared at Frances, with eyes burning with anger.

“What is it that you want?” Frances asked, in anger with annoyance.

“Why are you in that relationship with that sinister ugly man?” asked Shyrone.

“You know what I currently think about you?” said Frances, “I think you’re the sinister ugly man.”

Shyrone became angrier when Frances said her comeback. Then, Shyrone smirked.

“Then, let’s see how ugly I can be,” growled Shyrone, as he pulled out his wand, “SECTUMSEMPRA!”

A loud blast was heard throughout the dungeon halls to the library, where Snape was tutoring Edward for Defense against the Dark Arts. Snape turned his head, startled by the noise.

It’s happening! Just like it was foretold!

“Wait here,” told Snape to Edward.

And so, Snape ran through the hallways to the dungeons. Meanwhile, because of the curse Shyrone shouted, Frances gained a large sword-like gash from her abdomen through the chest. A puddle of innocent blood started to spill out of her. Shyrone gazed at the meek Ravenclaw.

“Just look at your puny little arse,” sneered Shyrone, as he opened the love potion, “Without me, you are nothing. Now, I shall restore your love and you will bear my children.”

Shyrone started to lunge at Frances, who is scared for her life. But he stopped as the door crashed to reveal Professor Snape.

“What is going on here?” shouted Snape.

Frances weakly turned her head to see her friend.

“Snape!” gasped Frances, “Hurry…up…”

Rage stormed over Snape and he grabbed the defenseless Shyrone by the uniform sweater.

“What…did you do to her?” snarled Snape.

“Nothing!” lied the Slytherin.

“Nothing?” replied Snape, “You mean the nothing that she has to suffer through when you become family?! Look at her! She is dying because of you! You treated her like the soil on this very ground! Now, fifty points will be taken from your house for not treating her well. Now, get out, eat your breakfast, and head to the headmaster’s office.”

Snape lowered down Shyrone and Shyrone walked slowly from him.

“NOW!!”

Shyrone ran out of the common room and the dungeon hallway. Snape looked back at Frances and kneeled towards her. He pulled out his wand and drew a line along the path of the wound.

“Vulnera Sanentur…Vulnera Sanentur…Vulnera Sanentur…” Snape muttered the incantation as he drew the path with his wand.

But then, his spell started to get useless and he never knew that Frances gave her final breath while he showed Shyrone what he had done to her. Snape dropped his wand and held the corpse.

“No…” cried Snape, “It can’t be…”

Snape breathed quickly to stop himself from weeping but he started to burst into tears. One tear he shed fell onto Frances’ heart. Then, a yellow glow lighted up and soon, the blood Frances had spilt reversed the flow and went back to the gash. The gash began to sew itself and after the sewing was complete, Frances gained consciousness.

“Snape?” moaned Frances.

“Yes,” Snape went into sheer joy, “It’s me…”

Frances hugged the professor as he closed his eyes and smiled. Snape patted Frances on the back. Then, Frances noticed the love potion which was on the ground.

“But, Snape,” stated Frances, “What about the potion?”

“Don’t worry,” Snape said, “I’ll put it away in the potions classroom while you work on your exams.”

Frances got up and went to the Great Hall, where she ate breakfast and worked on the exams. Snape, on the other hand, put away the potion on display in the classroom.

Weeks later, Frances came down to the Great Hall with her pet owl, Puck.

“Do you think Ravenclaw will win the house cup?” asked Frances.

Puck shrugged his wings.

“Well, we’ll just have to wait and see,” Frances told the owl.

Frances and Puck sat down with the other Ravenclaw students, whom some still sung “For she’s a jolly good fellow.”

“Okay, okay, everyone,” said Frances, “There’s no need for a celebration.”

Then, the chattering was silenced by the tapping of a spoon.

“Can I have your attention, please?” said Levisham, “As you can see for tonight, the house elves gave you breakfast for our final day feast. And now, I shall read what points the houses have received: Gryffindor – 2,078 points, Hufflepuff – 3,986 points, Ravenclaw – 9,049 points, and Slytherin – 2,076 points.”

The banners from the celebration hung down once again as the Ravenclaws cheered and again, sang “For she’s a jolly good fellow.” Frances soon accepted what the other Ravenclaws were doing because for generations, Frances would be one of her house’s favorite heroes.

The next morning, Frances packed her school items and wand and went down to Hogsmeade Station, where the Hogwarts Express is waiting to pick up the students of Hogwarts. Frances pushed here bags, including her owl in the cage, to one of the coaches of the train. Frances looked at the castle for a minute for the last time of her fourth year at Hogwarts. The train whistle blows to tell her to board the train and she stepped in and settled down. The train puffed away from the station, as Frances looked at the view outside the window.

Meanwhile at the Astronomy Tower, Snape watched the train run on the rails until it was out of sight. Soon, Levisham arrived at the tower and watched the view of the Highlands.

“Snape…” he said.

“Yes, Headmaster?” asked Snape.

“When Frances graduates from Hogwarts, do you think you would remember her like you did for Lily?” asked Levisham.

“Yes,” the professor replied, “She is one smart kid, and I bet the Ravenclaws would remember her as well. For always…”