Warriors-Sun and Moon-The Lost Crescent | Teen Ink

Warriors-Sun and Moon-The Lost Crescent

By CHARA_DREEMURR, Park City, Utah
CHARA_DREEMURR, Park City, Utah

Most likely have some mistakes I overlooked, I will fix as many as possible for the full.

Chapter 1

“Get out of our camp ShadowClan flea-bag!” Sunkit, Moonkit’s brother, squealed as Moonkit felt him crash down on top of her thick silver pelt.
“Not without one of your kits!” Moonkit squirmed out from under Sunkit.
Quickly she darted for the twig behind him. She snached it in her teeth and raced for the nursery. Sunkit charged after her, and overtook her easily.
“Slow slug!” Sunkit stood triumphantly on top of Moonkit.
Moonkit realized her chance and burst up and shoved him off. Sunkit went tumbling backwards into Grasstail’s kits who were playing with a leaf. The smallest one, Leafkit, squealed as Sunkit missed her my a mouse-length.
“Watch it, Moonkit! You almost threw Sunkit onto Leafkit and crushed her!” Grasstail’s eyes burned with an rage Moonkit had never seen before.
“Keep your sister in line, Sunkit. She’s a bad piece of prey,” Grasstail herded her kits into the nursery and cast one hard glare back at Moonkit. “And don’t come in here until tomorrow morning!” Moonkit flinched. She had been blamed for a lot of things, but this was just unreasonable.
“I’ll get your moss from the nursery and paw it out to you tonight,” Sunkit whispered. “Don’t worry about old Grasstail. She’ll forgive you.” Moonkit wasn’t so sure, but at least she would have comfortable bedding tonight.

“Greenstar, Shadowclan has moved the border!” Branchfur burst through the entrance to camp with his patrol right behind him. Moonkit watched as Birchleaf, Whitestripe, and Bloomtail swiveled their heads from where they were sharing tongues as Branchfur raced to the Highledge. Greenstar padded out of his den and jumped gracefully down to where Branchfur was waiting.
“Shadowclan’s scents are now extended past the pelt Twoleg dens!” Branchfur did a brief report on the border as Greenstar listened intently. “We also found multiple bits of prey past our border, and we haven’t sent out a hunting patrol all day!” Greenstar’s gaze intensified.
“Molefoot, Pebbleberry, and Watersplash, go to the Shadowclan border and make sure the scent line is where it should be. Oakclaw, take a patrol to the Windclan border and renew the scent lines. Cherryfall!” Greenstar’s deputy raced to his side. “Lead a hunting patrol to the Ancient Oak. We need as much prey as possible right now. Echosong, make sure your stores are full.
Moonkit was astonished. Cats started to fill the clearing as Greenstar’s instructions set in. Sunkit’s eyes were glowing.
“Can you believe how much authority he has over the clan? I want to be just like him  someday!” Sunkit beamed as Greenstar strode past. “I’m going to be just like him when I’m a warrior!” Moonkit purred. Sunkit could do anything if he put his mind to it.
“Sunkit, come and play with us!” Wormkit, Sparrowkit, and Deerkit called over to where Moonkit was standing. Sunkit padded towards the kits, Moonkit following.
“Does Moonkit have to play with us too? Grasstail said that she was evil.” Deerkit squeaked as Moonkit stopped at the young kit’s words. Somewhere deep down in her, a small seed of hurt started to sprout.
“Not if you don’t want her too,” Moonkit was shocked by Sunkit’s answer. The three kits shook their heads. “Sorry, Moonkit. Maybe later!” Moonkit’s tail drooped and she padded away. She hung her head as she heard the kits whisper to each other. She cast a look back at Sunkit and he suddenly found something very interesting on the ground. Moonkit raced away, her eyes stinging with tears. She didn’t know where she was going, but she was going somewhere, and fast. Thorns tore at her silver pelt still thick with kit fluff. She ran and didn’t turn back. Moonkit skidded to a halt as the soft earth of the forest changed to gritty sand. Moonkit gasped as the largest body of water she had ever seen stretched out before her. Small waves lapped at her paws, sucking her into the lake. She pulled back as she started to slide down into the lake. Moonkit was so mystified by it’s beauty that she didn’t notice that a cat padded up behind her.
“Beautiful, isn’t it.” Moonkit spun around to see Greenstar sitting calmly behind her. His eyes were filled with warmth as Moonkit crouched down, hanging her head in shame.
“I-I’m sorry, Greenstar. It won’t happen again.” Moonkit quivered as Greenstar loomed over her. But instead of a menacing growl from her leader, there was a kind purr.
“I received a prophecy long ago I have kept private with myself. At first I didn’t know what it meant, but now I think I do.” Moonkit sucked in a quick breath. Greenstar was going to share his private secret! Now the kits would always want to play with her.
“Although the Sun shines bright and true, it can’t stop the Moon,” Greenstar’s gaze sharpened. “You must not share this with anyone, not even Sunkit. This is our secret.” Moonkit’s eyes widened and nodded. Finally, she felt like she didn’t do something wrong and did something right for once!
Moonkit padded back into camp through the brambles at the edge of camp. She had left Greenstar at the lake.
“I need to think things over. Go ahead to camp without me. If anyone gets mad, say that Greenstar was with you.” Moonkit nodded and tracked her scent back to camp between the thick tree trunks. When she nosed her way into camp, she was shocked to see the camp wall was shredded. Sunkit was still playing with the smaller kits, Cherryfall was repairing the wall with some other warriors, and Grasstail started stalking towards her. Moonkit realised this a second too late.
“There you are, Moonkit,” Grasstail looked calm, but a raging fury filled her eyes. “Deerkit was sent to the medicine den because she had stepped in a pile of thorns, and they had your scent on them. Care to explain?”
“I didn’t place any thorns near Deerkit!” Moonkit promised.
“Then why are there thorns all over your pelt?” Grasstail growled.
“I-I went out of camp with Greenstar, I snagged my pelt on the camp walls,” Moonkit murmured. “Please, I didn’t do anything to hurt your kits!” Moonkit started to panic. Who knows what Grasstail would do if she found proof that Moonkit had laid that pile of thorns; even though she didn’t.
“We will discuss this later.” Grasstail shoved past Moonkit as she nosed her way through the bramble tunnel.
Sunkit padded up behind her. “Where were you Moonkit? I haven’t seen you all day.” Instead of the expected hurt, there was excitement in his eyes. “And you’ll never believe what happened! A fox attacked the camp and I helped fight it off when Branchfur got knocked out!”
Moonkit started at him, confused, “So you’re excited about Branchfur getting knocked out?”
“No Moonkit! I’m excited because Cherryfall said they might do my apprentice ceremony early!” He was so excited.
Moonkit’s eyes glowed, “Wow, that’s so great!” She started excitedly then she realized, “I guess then you’ll be too busy to play with me anymore.” Sadness flooded through Moonkit’s pelt.
Sunkit’s eyes suddenly filled with alarm, “No, Moonkit! We can still play!” Sunkit sounded desperate.
Moonkit started to pad away. For the second time that day, tears stung Moonkit’s eyes. She raced towards the nursery, where Grasstail stuck her head out and hissed.  Moonkit veered away and raced for the Highledge. Cherryfall looked at her questioningly. Moonkit ignored the eyes burning into her pelt and began leaping up the rocks to Highledge. When she was at the top she bunched her muscles and leaped from the rock grasping the brambles that acted as barrier to the camp. It dug into her soft pads, but she clawed up and thrust her way through the into the forest.
She heard Cherryfall screech, “Swallowtalon, Icepelt, Sweepingheart, Grasstail!” They’re the best trackers! Oh no, not Grasstail too!
She dashed as far away from Sunkit and the following patrol as fast as she could. She stopped when she reached the scent markers.
It’s the border! Do I really want to leave the forest? No, but that doesn’t stop me from hiding. It’s not like I’ll have a nest to sleep in at camp anyway.
She turned around and started to walk back into the territory. It surprised her when rain started to splatter onto her pelt.
At least my scent will be masked. She sniffed the air trying to see if the warriors were nearby but instead of the warm scent of ThunderClan a strange acrid scent stung her nose. Fear pricked her pelt.
Is it the fox Sunkit fought off? Maybe it’s my chance to be an early apprentice too!
Letting the scent hit her nose she slunk across the clearing into a bramble thicket. Moonkit stiffened as the brambles across from her rustled. A bloody fox limped into the clearing. Moonkit’s eyes widened in fear. How did Sunkit manage to fight this thing off?
I have to be brave!
The fox lifted its snout and sniffed the air, but Moonkit knew that it wouldn’t be able to scent her over the sheets of rain cascading down from the dark sky. The fox turned around and started to limp back to where it came from. Moonkit saw that she was about to miss her chance to become an apprentice.
With a screech of rage, she flung herself out of the bushes and onto the foxes back. It yelped in surprise and turned around, Moonkit holding on to it’s back. Fear coursed through her. She didn’t know how to fight like Sunkit! The fox bit into her shoulder and flung her off his back. Pain flared through her like nothing she had ever felt before. She couldn’t do this. Moonkit started to back away slowly, the fox snarling and showing it’s teeth. It barked and Moonkit turned around and raced to a hole under a tree.
I’ll be safe there!  She plunged into the tunnel the growling fox and the battle cry of a cat lost behind her as she dove into the tunnel.
Moonkit didn’t stop until she could smell air coming from up ahead. Her shoulder was screeching at her to stop and rest, but Moonkit kept going. When the air smelled strongest, she slowed down. But where she arrived wasn’t what she had expected to end up. A fast flowing river charged through the tunnel, water dripping through a small crack covered in thick brambles above her. There was no way she could get out that way, even if she did manage to climb up there. Moonkit’s shoulder pounded. With the roaring river next to her and rain thrumming on the roof above her, Moonkit fell onto the hard stone floor, quickly falling into a deep, uncomfortable sleep.

Chapter Two

Moonkit blinked as birdsong floated down through the crack in the cavern. She yawned and stretched as a cool breeze swirled into the cave, picking up old, fallen leaves that lay on the cavern floor. Moonkit’s stomach growled. She hadn’t eaten anything since yesterday morning. She lifted her nose to one of the tunnels where a damp, earthy pine tree smell lingered, another where a strong gust of wind ruffled her fur. A third had a very faint scent smelled mainly of water, and the last smelled of dust and moss.
“We could raid any clan from here!” Moonkit realized she was talking to herself and quickly shut her jaw and started to trek up the tunnel.
Side tunnels beckoned to her with their ominous blackness, but Moonkit kept marching up the tunnel with the mossy scent. When the mossy scent got stronger, she started to run, but her shoulder gave way and she collapsed on the stone floor. Moonkit clenched her teeth together to stop the yowl from escaping her throat. Slowly, she stood back up, putting her weight on her three remaining paws. Moonkit kept limping up the cold tunnel that was slowly getting brighter. She gasped when she saw sunlight streaming down from a large hole in the forest floor. A huge mound of dirt suggested that the floor had caved in. A thick log was firmly wedged into the highest peak of the mound leading up to the forest. Moonkit pulled her way up the mound and onto the log. It creaked under her weight but it still supported her. Moonkit hauled her way up to the top and collapsed on the forest floor. A butterfly with golden wings flapped by like it had no care in the world. Moonkit followed its path to a twitching thornbush. Moonkit’s eyes widened as Sunkit pushed his way through the bush and raced towards her.
“Where were you? I thought you had died!” Sunkit’s eyes were wide with fear. “Don’t just disappear for a -!” Anger sparked in Sunkit’s gaze as Moonkit cut him off.
“It was great! I fought a fox and explored tunnels under our territory! When we become apprentices, I have to show you!” Moonkit was bouncing on her paws. Sunkit looked at her guilty.
“Uh, Moonkit? I’m kind of Sunpaw now,” Sunpaw hung his head. Moonkit’s excitement faded to be replaced by anger.
“And you let Greenstar do that without me? And you’re only three moons old!” Moonkit thrust her muzzle into Sunpaw’s face. “I trusted you! I thought we would become warriors together!” Betrayal and anger made the still bloody soft kit fluff bristle along her spine. “Well, fine! Go and have fun training and hunting with Bluepaw and Dustpaw! See if I care!” Moonkit turned tail on Sunpaw and raced through the forest.
She stopped when she arrived at the lake. The beauty of it took away Moonkit’s worries. The glimmer of light dotting the lake reminded her of Silverpelt where she looked at Starclan and relaxed. Sunpaw would always join her when he was a kit and flop on his back. I wonder if Oakstorm and Lilyrain are watching us.
Moonkit’s gaze saddened as she remembered her parents that had died in a battle with a badger that invaded the camp. Moonkit turned around as she heard a cat approaching behind her. Cherryfall nosed through the bushes and sat down beside her.
“I guess you’ve heard about Sunpaw,” Cherryfall sighed. “I actually didn’t approve of his early apprenticeship. Even though he fought off a fox mostly by himself, he is still too young to be a proper hunter or fighter, but only time will tell.”
Moonkit scowled, “Sunpaw told me that you were the one that said he could be an early apprentice!”
“Yes, but I was being sarcastic, clearly Greenstar didn’t think so. But you don’t deserve being an early apprentice either, being gone for a-”
Moonkit ignored the rest of the sentence and stood up stiffly and started to pad back to camp, Cherryfall following her. As Moonkit pushed through the bramble entrance she paused. What would the clan think of her now? Weak, small, helpless maybe? They definitely would not call her brave or strong. Sunlight filtered into camp, dappling the ground from the trees around camp. Bluepaw and Dustpaw were sharing a fat rabbit in front of their den, Swallowtalon and Icepelt were sharing tounges in the shade of Highledge and Goosewhisker was telling Wormkit and Birdkit a story.
“Well, there I was, a dog wanting to take a bite out of me. I didn’t let the old mutt of course, but…” Goosewhisker’s mew faded as Moonkit padded past him, his eyes widened and the two kits whispered. 
She climbed up Highledge and stood near the entrance to Greenstar’s den.
“Come in, Moonkit, I can smell you out there!” Greenstar’s mew was harsh. Moonkit slowly slinked in. “Do you have an excuse for running out of camp, getting mauled by a fox, then go missing for an entire moon?” Moonkit eyes widened. A moon!? How am I alive? She knew that a harsh punishment was coming her way.
“I was gone an entire moon?” Moonkit was surprised. Greenstar must have seen this.
“Moonkit, what happened to you?”
Moonkit sat confused, “I fell asleep after the fox chased me away... I couldn’t have been away for a moon! I would’ve died!”
Greenstar gazed past her to the exit of the den, “Something must’ve kept you alive.” Greenstar’s eyes began to cloud then he quickly snapped back to the conversation, “Moonkit your apprenticeship will be postponed until next greenleaf.”
She expected the punishment to be bad, but she didn’t expect it to be that bad. Moonkit drooped her head and padded out of the den. She retreated to the nursery where Grasstail was sleeping. Moonkit gazed sadly at the spot where Sunpaw’s nest use to be. She sunk down into her own bed and started to doze.

Sunlight squeezed through Moonkit’s eyelids as cats mewing to each other outside the nursery wall. Moonkit slipped into the clearing where Sunpaw was listening eagerly to Cherryfall. Cherryfall must be his mentor! Jealousy raged through Moonkit. I have to work super hard so I can become an apprentice! Moonkit made a wide circle around Sunpaw and padded towards the medicine den. Echosong had looked at her shoulder yesterday and applied a sticky cream to it and dressed it in cobwebs. Moonkit trotted in and purred as Echosong stuck her head out of the herb store.
“Is your shoulder hurting again Moonkit?” Echosong stuck her head back into the cracked rock. “I have cobwebs if the ones on your shoulder are falling off.” She came back out of the rock with a pawful of cobwebs and herbs. Moonkit winced as the sticky herb was applied to her shoulder and fresh cobwebs go tangled in her silver fur. She mewed her thanks and jogged into the clearing. Cherryfall was organizing patrols, Sunpaw sitting next to him. Once all the cats had gone on to their daily business, Cherryfall turned to Sunpaw and they trotted out of the clearing. Eventually Moonkit was left in the clearing.
How am I supposed to become an apprentice now? Moonkit’s gaze swept the clearing. Her eyes landed on where Goosewhisker and Stonetail were dozing. She trotted over to where they were resting.
“Eh? Oh, good morning Moonkit!” Stonetail purred as she padded up. “What can I do for you today?” Stonetail’s gaze was loving and sweet.
“Do you want me to clean out your bedding or bring you some prey?” Yesterday's hunting patrol had filled the fresh kill pile and a plump rabbit sat on top.
“The apprentices did that earlier, but I would be mighty grateful if you would bring me some water to drink.” Moonkit nodded and raced for the medicine den. Echosong was now sorting herbs in the clearing.
“Do you know where I can get some water? I need some to give to Stonetail.” Echosong nodded and angled her tail to a small pool of water with moss growing around it. Moonkit trotted over and ripped some of the moss off with her teeth and carefully dipped one end into the pool. It had an odd tint of red, but it was probably just the odd light the trees were casting. Moonkit padded out of the medicine den, pride swelling in her chest.
“Here you go Stonetail.” Moonkit carefully moved the moss to the elder’s mouth. Stonetail bit down and gratefully sucked up the water. Stonetail’s gaze was thankful, then in extreme pain. She dropped the moss and gasped, air not completely being sucked down her throat.
“Echosong!” Moonkit yowled in panic.
Echosong came rushing out into the clearing. She quickly caught Moonkits gaze, then Stonetail’s. Moonkit stepped back as Echosong took over. She started to push on Stonetail’s stomach. The old cat relaxed. Thank goodness that’s over! Relief surged through Moonkit’s pelt.
“She’s dead.” Echosong’s comment was like someone had raked thorn sharp claws through her heart. Goosewhisker looked as if he was in the same state as Moonkit.
She stumbled backwards, “Dead?” Moonkit looked at the elder. “This is my fault. Grasstail was right, I am evil.” She turned tail and rushed towards the entrance to camp. She heard yowls behind her but she didn’t stop.
“Moonkit! If you leave you’ll be postponed until leaf-bare!” She heard Greenstar yowl.
“I guess I’ll see you then, if I haven’t died already, or given up.” Moonkit replied her fur hot with shame.
She ran toward the entrance and just before she began to climb up Grasstail blocked her. Grasstail hissed with rage and Moonkit turned back looking at the cats growling at her in camp. She bristled her fur and ran toward the nursery. Just when everyone had calmed and thought she was going to the nursery she slipped into the shadows and walked to the dirt place. She began climbing the wall to exit the camp when Cherryfall walked in behind her.
“Moonkit.” She said looking up at her.
Moonkit grabbed a strong hold on the cliff and looked down at her, “You won’t catch me!” She called down at the deputy.
Cherryfalls gaze was warm and kind, “I know, and I won’t chase you either. Sunpaw is overwhelming you. I think the best thing for you to do is leave, and find yourself.”
Moonkit looked at Cherryfall in surprise, “Just promise me this.” Cherryfall continued, “Come home to us one day.”
Moonkit clawed the rock harder. She nodded and scrambled the rest of the way up the camp wall.
Cherryfall called out to her one more time, “I’ll miss you!”
Thanks Cherryfall, I’ll miss you too. Moonkit thought as she ran toward the border. She knew that was the safest place for her.
As the scent line came to a sudden halt, Moonkit slowed down. This was it. She knew that she would have to teach herself to hunt, fight, and find a home. There would be foxes, rats, and predators that would want to have her on their fresh kill pile. But Moonkit could survive. If cats could live in the forest, then she could live beyond.
“Goodbye ThunderClan!” She said in fear and excitement. Moonkit bolted across the border, “It’s time I found my own path.”
Moonkit stopped on the other side of the border she stood looking into the forest behind ThunderClan. Her paws thrummed on the forest floor, her pelt was ruffled in the wind.
She sniffed the forest floor hoping for a scent of mouse or squirrel. After a while she gave up and decided on looking for shelter to use as her camp.
A cool breeze blew down as a raindrop hit her nose. Moonkit shivered as rain started to splatter down on her now matted silver pelt. Thunder cracked overhead. Lightning flashed in the distance. Moonkit curled up under a tree as the rain came down harder. She stood up and turned around and raced for what she thought was the border, but all the forest looked the same. She raced towards a thick hedge and dove under. Suddenly the ground sloped beneath her feet. The wet floor forced her to slide down into a tunnel.
At least it’s shelter. Moonkit thought.
She walked down the tunnel heading deeper and deeper into the ground. The air was musty and warm. The tunnel seemed to lead into the bottom of the world. The pitch black scared her but she kept walking. Her paws began to sting with the pain of walking and water began splashing at her claw tips. Moonkit halted. Before her was a small lake with rain dripping down a crack. The river! Am I all the way back here? Moonkit couldn’t even see the tunnels that led to clan territory. Moonkit slowly backed away, not wanting to be sucked into the flooded river. She turned down a side tunnel that led upwards and started to climb.
Once she made it out of the tunnel, she flopped on her stomach. It had led out underneath a twisted tree and on a very tall and rocky hill. Is this a mountain? Moonkit had heard nursery tales about mountains, but she had never seen one with her own eyes. A small river provided a refreshing drink. After Moonkit’s stomach was full, she turned around to see where she was.
Moonkit took a sharp breath. The forest lay in the distance, early morning light making the lake shimmer and sparkle. A small trickle of water flowed down the mountain and into a tiny rock hollow far beneath her. Moonkit inched her way forward, carefully avoiding the slippery rock after last night’s rain. A small cave on a nearby ledge looked like it would provide a great den. As Moonkit bunched her muscles to leap to the ledge, but before she could make the leap, the rock slipped out from underneath her and she went tumbling down into the hollow at the bottom of the mountain. Moonkit yowled as she hit cold water as it churned around her. Rocks splashed everywhere around her, but luckily didn’t hit her. She splashed to the rocky shore and collapsed, licking her fur the wrong way vigorously. Moonkit was cold, hungry, and tired. And right there she curled up and went to sleep.
When darkness didn’t completely consume her consciousness, she carefully opened her eyes. She was sitting on the edge of the lake where she had sat the first time out of camp. Stars shone above her head, which started to fall. The sky is falling! Moonkit tried to run, but her legs were frozen in place. When the stars hit the lake, they morphed into cats lit by starlight.
“Welcome, Moonkit,” It seemed like one cat was talking but the words came from all the cats. “You have gravely injured yourself falling from the mountain into our sacred pool. We can heal you, but you will become a shadow afterwards. Is this what you wish?” Moonkit’s eyes widened. She could wander the forest without being noticed!
“Yes, yes please!” Moonkit tried not to make her voice quiver as the cats stood up in front of her. Two cats came out of the crowd. “Oakstorm? Lilyrain?” Moonkit’s voice was no more than a whisper.
“You have done well Moonkit. You had the courage to leave camp and fend for yourself. Sunkit may be an apprentice, and we are very proud, but you are destined to an excel in life. Moonkit, I give you my blessing.” Lilyrain stepped forwards and touched noses with her mother. Oakstorm came up and did the same thing. A cold blast shot through her as the moon shone on her silver pelt. As the dream started to fade away, so did Moonkit’s conscious.

Moonkit awoke with a start. A half moon shone above her head. Moonkit sprung up as she heard voices coming towards the pool.
Is that Echosong and Deerkit? She crouched down as the voices got closer. Oh no! This must be the Moonpool! Moonkit shot up she looked around. How do I get out!? Frantically she searched for an exit. The water!
Moonkit gazed at the water. At the very bottom a dark hole was beckoning her. She was about to jump in when the medicine cats entered, but they ignored her as if she were a shadow.
That’s right. Moonkit thought. I’m a shadow. They can’t see me.
“At least I’m safe.” She thought aloud.
At her words the medicine cats turned and looked shocked at the entrance to the Moonpool.
“Who’s there?” The ShadowClan medicine cat growled.
Deerkit, who Moonkit assumed was now Deerpaw exclaimed, “That sounded like Moonkit!”
“It did.” Echosong agreed, “Moonkit, where are you?”
Moonkit shivered and said, “Look at the floor.”
Echosong, Deerpaw, and the other medicine cats looked at the floor.
“I don’t understand, where are you?” The RiverClan medicine cat asked.
“No! I see her!” The WindClan apprentice exclaimed, “Count the shadows!”
The medicine cats looked to the floor again and after a few seconds they they gasped. On the floor instead of the seven shadows that showed the two RiverClan cats, WindClan cats, ThunderClan cats, and the one ShadowClan cat, there were eight.
“Moonkit? How are you doing that?” Deerpaw asked
“I-I…” Moonkit stuttered
“Spit it out” The ShadowClan cat growled.
“I can’t tell you.” Moonkit answered.
She turned and jumped into the Moonpool she took a deep breath and dove under the water until the hole in the floor pulled her down. She heard the medicine cats calling her name, looking for her, but it was too late. The water sucked her down into the tunnel, Moonkit held her breath for as long as she could, but she couldn’t hold it any longer. She breathed in a large breath of water, but nothing happened.
Can I breath water because I’m a shadow? Moonkit drifted down the underground river, startled at her new power of breathing underwater. I guess it makes sense. I mean I don’t have a body to breath with. Moonkit reasoned.
After a while the water stopped flowing. Moonkit looked up to where the tunnel roof was, instead she saw a bright white light shining down on her.
I must be in the lake. Why else would be the moon be above me? Moonkit assumed.
Moonkit started to swim, after a while she realized that she had to run even though she was swimming. Her head bobbed above the water, she swam to the shore and got out of the water. She was slightly amazed when the water didn’t drench her pelt as she left the water.
Tired, she lay in the bright moonlight. All the stars twinkled overhead, she thanked Starclan for giving her these amazing powers.
Wait, the night I became a shadow wasn’t a half-moon. Oh no! StarClan, how long have I been sleeping? I could ask the medicine cats…  No, they’ll wonder what happened and question me. Well, the longest I could’ve been sleeping was about a moon, because it was just past half moon. How is that possible?
“You think we can make you a shadow instantaneously?” A voice sounded behind Moonkit and she turned around to see a flaming orange pelt and piercing green eyes.
Moonkit looked at the strong warrior, It’s a StarClan warrior. I know this one though… Or heard of him.
Then the name clicked into her brain, “You’re Firestar!” Moonkit had heard the warriors talk about Firestar, who was ThunderClan’s best leader.
“I am.” Firestar nodded, “And what would the clans think of StarClan if we could just turn cats into shadows?”
“They would be terrified.” Moonkit agreed, and Firestar nodded. Moonkit sat and listened as Firestar explained how the shadow power worked.
“You are able to move from shadow to shadow form the farthest distances, like from the edge of Thunderclan to the edge of Riverclan territory. You also cannot be hurt, only subdued, but it is extremely hard to catch a shadow. In the direct moonlight, you can possess cats bodies. It may seem scary and mean to take over a cat’s body, but you can only possess them if they are asleep and you can’t control them if you are caught in direct sunlight.” Moonkit gaped as Firestar told her of the possibilities.
I can do anything! Moonkit thought. She focused again as Firestar kept talking.
“Moonkit, it is my understanding that you want to become an apprentice, and I believe that because you have lost so much of your life that you should choose this one path. If you want, I will give you your apprentice name and I will mentor you. Is this what you want?”
Moonkit’s eyes widened and she nodded.
Firestar continued "Moonkit, you are wise and strong and it is time for you to be apprenticed. From this day, until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Moonpaw I ask StarClan to watch over you and guide you until you find in your paws the strength and courage of a warrior."
Firestar placed his muzzle on Moonpaw’s head and Moonpaw licked his shoulder respectively in return.
Then Moonpaw bounced around excitedly, “I’m going to become a warrior! Then I’ll go home and turn back into a cat and then I’ll be made deputy and then one day leader!”
Firestar frowned and Moonkit turned and looked at him.
Moonpaw asked, “What’s wrong Firestar?”
“Your powers, we can’t take them back.”
Moonpaw looked at Firestar sadness flooding her face, “So I can’t be leader? Or even deputy?!” Moonpaw hissed, “You didn’t tell me! I want to be a cat again!”
Anger flooded her pelt and she pounced at Firestar, just as she was going to sink her thorn-sharp claws into his pelt he and her surroundings disappeared.
“No! Firestar you coward! Too afraid to even fight an apprentice!”
Moonpaw flopped onto the hard cold ground. She sat looking across the lake. I wish I had chosen to die, now I’ll never be able to go back to Cherryfall and instead I’ll only be able to watch as she is forced to wonder if I’m okay. Moonpaws’s head drooped and she started to pad wherever her paws decided to go. She stopped when she heard voices up ahead. Moonpaw was in the middle of the camp’s thorn barrier and was stunned to see cats swarming around the camp.
“Greenstar, Grasstail caught the illness!” Swallowtallon burst from the nursery, panic in his eyes. Sick? There wasn’t any threat of sickness when Moonpaw left. What was happening to her former clan?