Monster High ninjas: Shadow war part 1 | Teen Ink

Monster High ninjas: Shadow war part 1

Monster high ninjas: Age of the skylanders
Shadow war part 1
Wisp starts showing signs of turning into an evil shadow again while Leo continues to doubt that it’s over between the skylanders and shadows, which puts Wisp, Shade, and her sisters in danger of being captured. Elsewhere, Frankie and Holt struggle to hide their feelings for each other after meeting a new friend at the Gloomy Manor; and Donnie prepares to go for a trip with Amanda and her friends.    

Prologue:unknown
I watched from my shuttle as my home crumbled from the black sky. My brothers, parents, everything, was gone. The last time I saw my family was before they attacked, but I wasn’t sure why those black beasts and people were searching my home. I had my comet crystal with me, the last thing I got from my father and my older brother. “Landing in 30 minutes.” the auto pilot. “Destination: New York City.” “No, don’t send me there. Send me to that mansion over there.” I said redirecting the gps. “New destination: Gloomy Manor.” I didn’t like the sound of that. First I lose my family and now I’m going to a mysterious mansion. “This should be fun.”

I stood where Valcore opened the portal, watching to see if it would open again. I doubted every second that Valcore was gone for good. I knew Wisp did too. “Leo, we’re going training later,” Frankie said walking over. “Want to come?” “No thanks,” I said still watching for the portal. “I’ll catch up later.” “Okay, Wisp might be joining you over here anyway.” “Good, both me and Wisp agree on one thing.” “What’s that?” “Valcore isn’t dead. He almost killed Shade and Wisp, but something stopped him. I don’t know if he started dying or what, but I have a feeling he’s planning to attack soon enough.” “Whatever dude.” “Whatever dude.” Mocking her.

I tried to get my mind off the whole Valcore thing by trying to think back when me and my brothers were kids. I remembered Raph helping me get over my fear of heights and that’s about it. All I ever did with Donnie and Mikey was play on the pinball machine and train. “Leo!” I heard someone yell. Wisp has to be here now. “There’s something going on with an island. It’s all black and creepy looking.” “That’s that haunted crypt place remember? I’ve never been there and I hope I never will…” “Not that place! The one with all the birds and stuff. The birds flew away and...ah!” Wisp held on to her stomach like something was wrong. “Wisp? You okay?” “Yeah. I’m fine.” When I looked closely at Wisp’s eyes, they looked like a crystal blue color, then they went back to red. “What is it?” “Nothing.” “Okay, what are you doing here again?” “Watching for the shadow portal. I knew Valcore may be returning soon and...wait a minute. I already told you that. What’s going on with you?” “Nothing! God!” “Are you okay?” “If you ask me that one more time, I’m gonna…” “Wisp!” Gigi yelled running over. “Calm down! You lost your temper again.” “Sorry Leonardo. I gotta go.” When Wisp left, I knew something was definitely up with her. “Gigi, she just called me Leonardo. She always calls me Leo.” “What do you think’s going on?” “I think you know.” Gigi gasped and looked at me worried. “Gigi, Valcore’s back.”

I felt the wind try to blow me back home, but I just kept going. Gigi shouldn’t have called me an “Anger-issued Monster”, it’s her fault I left. She thinks I can control my anger issues? I’ll show her! I thought to myself. I went passed a few trees, but I saw something behind them. It can’t be. I walked through the trees and saw someone trying to open the shadow portal. Oh my ghoul! I have to call Frankie and Leo! Before I could dial my phone, I looked back and only saw the portal, but no one there. “Come out!” I yelled picking up a stick. “I have a magic...wand.” “Oh,” I heard someone say. “I’m so scared.” I turned around and saw a kid or guy or man or something standing in front of me. He’s kinda hot for someone who’s evil. Don’t say your thoughts out loud Wisp. “So, is your magic wand is a stick with secret magic?” “No, it’s just a stick. Are you a shadow?” “Of sorts. My father is the new Shadow Master. Me and my sisters are looking for a shadow that works with the Power Ghouls. Her name is Wisp, I think.” “Who’s asking?” “Forgive me if I didn’t introduce myself. My name is Haya. Are you the traitor?” “Um…” “Wisp!” I heard someone yell. “There you are!” “Frankie?! Get out of here now!” I tried to warn her. Frankie, what are you doing? “Frankie, stay out of this! I’m just having a little...chat with this guy.” “We were getting ready to fight. Is she Voltagous? You know, the Power Ghoul?” “No. She’s my friend, who was just leaving.” “Gigi wants you to come back.” “Yeah right. She doesn’t care about me. I’m just her little friend who helps out with the team that she’s on and stays in the shadows while she’s hanging out with friends. That’s why I was jealous when both me and her were genies.” “It’s not her fault you turned evil before. You were so jealous of her, your anger clouded your judgements. She’s your twin sister for crying out loud!” “We...are...not...sisters!” I let out my anger and shot a ball of shadow magic towards Frankie, who unfortunately jumped out of the way. “Wisp…” What did I just do? “Frankie, I’m so sorry. My anger...it’s getting worse and I can’t control it anymore and…” Frankie stood their in fear. Am I a monster because of my anger? “Frankie, just take my hand and we’ll go…” “Stay away!” “Frankie…” “Stay back!” “What are you doing kid? Finish her!” “I...I” I turned around and Frankie was gone. “What have I done?”

l looked all around for Wisp, but l couldn’t find her. Gigi said she and Wisp had a fight earlier. l found it hard to believe. Then, l saw someone running back through the shadows. “Wisp,” I whispered to the shadows. “Is that you?” “No one you’d dude.” someone said behind me. “I have some questions about your shadow friend.” “What? Who are you?” The girl stood in silence and started walking.

The girl took me to a dark area in the woods. “I had to find someone who can tell me about this shadow girl who works with the Power Ghouls. My father sensed her and now my brother is trying to lure her into the shadow world with him. But as always, my brother’s trying to flirt with her.” “How do you know about Wisp?” Oops. “So that’s her name? Wisp. If she was dumb enough to go with my brother, than the spell of shattered sight must’ve worked on that Gigi girl.” “Huh?” “Oh yeah, you’ve never heard of it. Well the spell of shattered sight basically makes a person hate the people they love. It lasts as long as the person who casted it doesn’t fade or die. This Ingrid girl casted it and she died to break it.” “Who casted it?” “This girl at this magic school for descendants of fairy tale characters. We took control of her, so that’s why she was forced to cast it.” Maybe it’s that purple haired girl I saw in the dungeon before we defeated Valcore. “Does she have purple hair?” “Yes, with black streaks. That was when your team defeated Valcore and that one girl, Emily, got killed.” I remembered back to when Emily got killed by Valcore. She was just a little girl. “Can you explain why Valcore had “the heart” to do that?” My eyes started tearing up. “She was interfering with my uncle’s plans. She was about to stop him, when…” “You’re uncle? Valcore?” “My friend’s uncle is what I meant, he feels like an uncle to me because him and my father were best friends.” Yeah right. This girl is lying to me. It’s so obvious. Especially since she didn’t tell me her name. “Shadow…” She said before I left. “My name is Shadow. And no I am not lying to you.” “How did you…” “For certain people, I can read minds. I can’t read yours though, but I heard you mumbling.” I was mumbling? By the time I wanted to talk to Shadow again, she was gone. Something’s going on. I’m going to find out.

Flashback #1
Leo
When me and Emily were friends, she felt like a sister to me. Just like me and Raph were best friends when we were kids. Raph and I were more friends than we were now, but I don’t remember what tore us apart.

Me and Raph ran through the sewers, playing ninja flashlight tag. That game didn’t make sense to me, but there was nothing to do. Donnie was teaching Mikey to play pinball, and I was playing a videogame. I tried to find Raph, but he wasn’t anywhere to be seen. Did he go up to the surface again? I thought. I heard one of the ladders cling like something was hitting or climbing on it. I ran over to a ladder and saw Raph climbing up. Of course, he had to pick a tall one. “Leo,” Raph yelled down to me. “You need to check this out.” “You know I’m afraid of heights!” I yelled back. “I’m not playing anymore!” “Dude come on! If you come up here, I’ll let you help me with a prank to get Donnie and Mikey away from the game machines!” I just looked up, scared that if I did climb, I would fall.
Present
Leo
I walked over to where Amanda and her friends were. “Any luck on finding the new shadow energy source?” I asked. “Is Valcore back or is there a new Shadow Master?” “New Shadow Master,” Amanda said. “we found a tremendous amount of shadow magic at Dragon’s Peak. Since you’re still recovering your powers, Donnie offered to come with us.” “What?!” “Leo,” Donnie said coming out from one of the cabins. “I can handle it. I’m the smartest person here besides Jackson and Robecca. I can handle it.” “Only if I go with you.” “I honestly don’t care if you go Leo. But if you want to stay and if I’m not back in 5 days…” “4.” “4 days, then you come find me by using the tracker on my t-phone. Okay?” “Fine. 4 days, I’ll help you pack when we get home.

Flashback
I hid in my room for about 2 hours. Raph kept knocking on the door and I just ignored him. “Leo, I want you to come with me.” “Everyone’s asleep and I don’t need “help” getting over my fear of heights.” “I’m not helping you with that, we’re gonna play a new game I invented.” After a few attempts by my brother, I finally gave in and went to the sewers with him.

“You can’t be serious.” “Oh I am.” This was the stupidest thing he’d ever convinced me to do. Jump on sewer pipes “without falling.” Stupid, stupid, stupid! “Jumping on sewer pipes that are 300 feet above water.” “Come on dude. Watch my moves.” Raph idiotically jumped 4 pipes. Then we he jumped on the 5th one, slipped and landed on his stomach. He just hung on while on a pipe that could collapse at any time. “Hold on, I’ll think of something!” “Don’t you dare tell Splinter or the others! Just come up here and help me!” That day I realized that I knew where I got the fear of heights from.
Present
Me and Donnie went back to the lair and started packing. I packed maybe 60 rolls of wrap stuff, like the kind people use for sprained stuff like ankles and fractured feet that feels like it’s broken. That actually happened to me when I was little, but my foot was tired and I tripped on one of Mikey’s toys from when he was like 2. “You’re going to need these. Someone might sprain an ankle or something.” “Leo, would stop being a spazz? I’m going to be fine. You just need to…” “Shh!” “What?” “Shush!” “What’s wrong?” “There’s something in the walls....shadow beasts.” “What?!” “Shadow beasts! Go get Karai, warn Splinter, get everyone out of here! We’re under attack!”

Flashback
I couldn’t believe that Raph was afraid of heights like me. Unless he was faking it. “Leo!” I don’t think he’s faking it. “Leo! My grip is hurting my arms!” I stood there for a minute. I knew what I had to do. “Leo! Please! Help!” “Grab on!” I stood on the pipe above him and reached out. I pulled Raph up to me and he hugged me. “Thank you!” Thank god the pipe wasn’t a pipe at all. It was the opening to a sewer tunnel.

Present
“Everyone, up to the city! I have a plan!” “Where are they?!” Karai yelled trying to push the video games out. “What are we going to do if they cause a…” Splinter ran into the living room and looked worried. “Leonardo, where did you say they were?” he asked acting worried. “They started a…” BOOM!!!

“Leo! Wake up!” I woke up lying on the ground near the dumpster. “Are you okay?” “I hurt my leg, but other than...ow!” “And you thought I needed those wrap thingies.” “Where’s Splinter?” After I said that, my brothers and Karai stood in silence. “What’s going…” “Splinter died trying to save me. He got crushed by the sewer pipes and…” “Let’s just go to Frankie’s. She’ll definitely let us stay there. Donnie, you go to Amanda’s airship and stay there for a while.” “Leo…” “Just go! I’ll meet you there.”

I didn’t see why Holt wanted me to hang out more often. It’s like he’s crushing on me again. I hope that’s not the case. “What’s the point of this game,” I asked. We were playing Monopoly and it was SO boring. “I don’t see it.” “It gets more fun when you get used to the rules,” Holt said moving his player. “If you don’t want to play anymore, that’s fine with me. I think it would be more fun if there were more...” I heard someone knock on the door. “Who could that be?” I looked through the peephole and saw Leo, Raph, Mikey, and Karai standing out there. “Who is it?” “It’s the turtles and Karai.” I opened the door and Leo pushed by me and sat on the couch. “What’s going on?” “Shadow beasts started a fire and killed Splinter.” Karai said starting to cry. “He got crushed by sewer pipes trying to save me.” “Oh...why are you guys here?” “Donnie went over to Amanda’s place,” Raph said sitting down “We thought we could stay here for a while.” “Sure, come in.” Suddenly, I felt dizzy. I sat down on the couch with Leo, who wasn’t talking at all. “So, what’s going on with you?” Leo looked at me, about ready to cry. I didn’t know what to do about it, but then I thought of someone who could help, Holt.

Flashback 2
My first day at Middle School. Actually my first day of school ever. I walked down the hallways of a school for humans. I didn’t understand why I had to go here, but I was happy to be at a school where I could be with people of my kind. I stopped by my locker and started putting in the combination. “Wrong school or something,” someone asked behind me. “I can take you to school of weirdos if you want me to.” “Who are you?” I asked. “I don’t think it’s costume week right now.” “I’m not in a costume! I’m a monster, like you.” “I am not a monster! Apparently, you are!” “I meant that literally!” “There’s no such thing as monsters! Ugh!” “If you would let me finish, the name’s Holt Hyde, I recently started going here because my brother is a human and there’s no other monster schools except for monster high. My dad couldn’t afford any monster schools for just me. My brother’s at the library and it’s his first day here, he just started going here. Mainly because of his IQ level and he’s only 8 years old. I just turned 14 and.he’s still a bigger reader than I am and…” “Don’t care, bye.”

Present
l decided not to bug Holt even though Leo was going through the loss of his father like Holt did. I felt so bad him and I didn’t even know how it felt to lose someone that close. Karai’s only known Splinter and the turtles for almost 4 years and she knew the turtles better than Splinter. “This is worse than Spyro.” “Karai, we know that both Spyro and Splinter died as heroes…” “Trying to save us.” “I’m sorry, I honestly don’t know how to help. I’m so sorry.” “Well, maybe you could...just, I don’t know kiddo.” I started tearing up and sat down with her. I never knew how it felt to lose my family, but that’s mainly because I never had a real family. “When me and Holt were in Middle School, we were friends for the longest time, but then, he started acting like a jerk to me again and I found out why in High School.” “Let me guess, his father.” “That was a couple months before his dad died I think.” “Then what was it?” “I never found out, unless I did and I completely forgot about it.”
Flashback
The next couple of months of school were awesome. Holt, his brother, Jackson, and I became best friends in the matter of weeks. But then something changed. For half of the last month of school, Jackson wasn’t there, and Holt was skipping class to talk to the guidance counselor. I tried talking to him after lunch the next couple of days, but he wasn’t in the cafeteria. The other day I saw him eating lunch in the commons area where the lockers were. Jackson still hadn’t shown and I started to get worried about both of them. I decided to talk to the guidance counselor to get answers from her. “Hello Frankie,” the counselor said. “what can I do for…” “Why is Holt eating lunch up here and why isn’t Jackson in school,” I asked. “I’m getting worried. What the heck is going on?” “Holt didn’t want me to tell anyone this, especially you, but his dad had...an accident about a month ago and...died.” “What? Why hasn’t Jackson been at school then? Is that why?” “Frankie…” “Answer me! What’s going on?!” “Calm down kid! Jackson only stayed home because he doesn’t want to be at school right now. Holt is bringing all of his work home so he can bring it back, that way Jackson doesn’t get in trouble for not completing his work.” “He hasn’t been here for 3 weeks!” “Why don’t you go talk to Holt and maybe after school to Jackson?” “Okay. Thank you Miss.Emma.” “No prob. Oh, here’s my phone number and email. Let me know how everything goes with the boys.” “Okay.”

I went with Donnie over to Amanda’s and almost asked them to let him stay here, but I knew she would say no. Figures I actually agreed to go with them. “Donnie,” I started trying to stop him. “maybe this isn’t a good idea. I think you should stay.” “Wow,” Donnie said not impressed. “you sure are bad at encouraging people except for bad guys that could become good guys, like you did with Shade and Janie. Delanie, you didn’t really have a problem because she’s an idiot.” “True, but there was also this girl I met a couple days ago. She seemed so suspicious and mysterious. But she said she was Valcore’s niece. I might have Frankie and Holt check out the Gloomy Manor, just to make sure there’s no shadows lurking.” “I doubt that’ll happen.Come on dude. Just let me go alone with them.”I’m calling Frankie and Holt. They’ll check out the Gloomy Manor and meet us back here.” “One question, where have Tip and Oh been lately?” “Tip went to watch this rapper dude and his girlfriend perform near the train station and Oh’s been missing ever since we defeated Valcore. Tip thinks that he was killed or that he fled back to his home planet.” “That makes sense that he would go back home, but there was something on the news that Karai saw. They said a star or something exploded a couple months ago, then something flew down from it. It was super weird.” “We’ll find out sooner or later. Right now, our top priority is finding whoever has been causing mayhem in skylands lately.”

Leo called me and Holt earlier and told us to check out the Gloomy Manors. I didn’t know why he bothered because they’re no shadows living there last time I checked. “Why do you think Leo told us to come here,” Holt asked acting all sneaky. “is he afraid that Donnie’s gonna get hurt while he’s on the little shadow search with Amanda.” “No,” I said pulling my PG(Power Ghouls) dress. “I think he’s going with Donnie and he wants us to make sure everything is going smoothly. Remember Cinder gave Jackson that app that can track the amount of shadow magic anywhere.” “I completely forgot about that thing, why didn’t Jackson come with us?” “I think maybe because Leo didn’t call him.” “Good point.” When we got to the manor, something didn’t seem right. “Why is there a giant hole in the roof of the mansion?” “I don’t know, it’s still fresh. Smoke’s coming out of it.” “Let’s go check it out.”
Flashback 2 part 2
I left Social Studies class for gym and realized I haven’t seen Holt or Jackson all day. I knew the person to go to was either Miss Emma or the principal who I was incredibly scared of. “Miss Emma,” I said knocking on the door. “do you know where Holt and Jackson are?” I pushed on the doorknob and surprisingly it was open. I found a letter on a desk. “Frankie,” the letter said. “please know that I have some business to attend to back at my hometown. Holt and Jackson are coming back to school in January. They are visiting their cousin Lilly in New York. I will be back in a few months, years even. Good luck, Emma Swan.” I wondered what was going on with Emma and why she put her full name. Then, I remembered when I met that turtle who gave me that black ninja mask about a year ago.
Present
Me and Holt searched the foyer, the hallways, the rooms, the kitchen, and the dining room, but none of those rooms had holes in the top. Last rooms was the library and the attic, but we were only going to the library for now. “Finally, the room with the hole in it.” “There’s someone under the books.” “I see that.” I picked up one book and this girl comes out of the pile and starts flying away. Luckily I had a rope to lasso on to her leg. “Calm down!” “LET ME GO!!” the girl yelled falling to the ground. “You’re monsters. Literally.” “So are you! Although, you’re a nutty monster.” “I’m not a monster, I’m an alien.” “No wonder, you don’t have any ears.” “They’re under these crystal thingies somewhere. Unless these things are my ears.” “Sorry to interrupt, but what’s your name anyway?” “Astranova, but my friends call me...you know what, just call me Astro.” “Frankie, this is my friend, Holt. We’re checking this place for shadow magic. It’s hard to explain, but…” “Shadow magic? Was that the magic that was used to destroy my planet??!” “I don’t know.” “You’re planet got destroyed?” “Oh, not just that. My brothers, my parents, all my friends, everyone I care about, gone!” After she said that, she sat down as she started crying. “Hey, Astranova, it’s okay. I lost my parents when I was 12. My cousin Stacie, she died a couple months ago while we were...nevermind.” “That’s nothing. My brothers were killed right in front of me. Including my older brother Nova.” “I see where her name comes from. Let me guess, you had another brother named Astro.” “Ha! And yes, I did. He was my second older brother. Starstruck is my younger brother and Stride Star is my third older brother.” “You have 4 brothers?! Our friend has…” “Holt! Don’t talk about you know who to her.” “You can tell me anything.” “The friends we were talking about are on a little trip right now.” “Oh, really. Well, I can come with, but I want to meet one of these “friends”. Do we have a deal?” “Fine, let’s just get going before…” I noticed that the walls were started to form shadow magic on them. “Oh no, they’re already starting to spread shadow magic on Earth.” “That’s what happened to my house before my planet got destroyed. But I knew the reason for the invasion.” “Tell us when we get back to the lair.” “Okay. To avenge my family, I will be a part of your mission.”

When we got back home, Karai slithered over to us in rapid speed. “Guys, Leo got injured while he was with Donnie and Amanda,” she said catching her breath. “He either sprained or broke his leg and sprained his wrist. He was unconscious for a couple hours, but thank god he woke up about an hour ago.” “Where is he right now,” I asked. “is he still at the apartment?” “Yeah, he’s trying to rest his leg and heal his wrist, but his healing powers aren’t working. He wants you to try healing him, but just his wrist.” “Me?!”

I walked to the apartment and sat next to Leo. “How did you get hurt?” “I don’t remember anything,” Leo said. “Whatever happened, I got hurt pretty bad. I can’t use my powers for some reason. AII I know is, you have healing powers.” “I can try, but it might not work.” I went and tried to heal Leo’s leg, but the injury was too much to heal. Then I healed his wrist, surprisingly with my powers. “How did I do that?” “You’ll find out soon enough.” “Where’s Donnie?” “You don’t know where he is either?” “Uh…” Karai tapped on my shoulder and motioned me towards the hallway. “I’ll be right back.”

I walked into the hallway with Karai. “What’s going on? Where’s Donnie?” “I didn’t want Leo to know what happened.” “What happened? You can tell me anything kiddo.” “Okay, Donnie was killed while he was on that little trip with Amanda and Leo.” “So you’re saying that Leo doesn’t remember anything from the trip, including Donnie getting killed?” “Just please don’t tell him. He doesn’t know what happened and neither do I. Please just make him think that Donnie went somewhere and don’t tell him the truth for any reason.” I started to doubt the fact that I shouldn’t tell Leo about Donnie, but I think she told me to not tell him so we wouldn’t stress him out. I still felt bad about it though.