Bridges | Teen Ink

Bridges

By KelsieKirk, New Castle, Delaware
KelsieKirk, New Castle, Delaware

Author's note:

I wrote this from life expeirence.  I don't think people understand how hard it is to live with an addict parent, and how evil the drug really is. I also hope that people will understand some of the things high school students deal with.

Preferences
§
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
0
-
=
Backspace

Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]

Return

capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\

shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
,
.
/
shift

English

alt
alt

Preferences

The bell rang. However unlike most students, Maria doesn’t look forward to going home everyday. Everyday on her way out of school she always stops to talk to Ms Burrows. Ms Burrows was Maria’s English teacher Freshman year. They instantly hit it off, and over the past 4 years, the 2 girls have became inseparable. “Hey Ms Burrows,” Maria said with a exhausted yet relieved tone.
“Hey Maria, how are you sweetheart?” Ms Burrows exclaimed. She was always happy to see Maria, and it was going to be a lot different when she would graduate at the end of the year.
“Im exhausted. I have hours of homework to do, and I don’t get off work till 9:30-10:00 o’clock since I close.”
Ms. Burrows responded to Maria with a somewhat guilty tone, “Im sorry everything so hard sweetheart. The best of us always get the short end of the stick. I promise things will get easier once you graduate.”
“Yeah right. That’s when things get hard. I have no idea how I’ll ever afford college so I can get a good job, and finally get out of here.”
“Maria you're a distinguished honors student! Any college would be beyond blessed to have you attending their school,” she said as she slammed her hand down on the desk. “With the scholarships you’ll apply for and working full time when you graduate?”
Maria cut her off, “I know, but I’ll never have the support from any family or friends, and plus what's gonna happen to my mom when I leave?” she whined with despair.
Maria’s mom, Lorraine was always a sensitive subject to talk about. For the past 4 years, Marias mom has been struggling with a heroin addiction. Maria and her mom were constantly beaten by her Dad who was an alcoholic. Up until Maria was in middle school, she had a normal life and was unbelievably close with both of her parents. Then her dad started to come home late. Then he didn't come home at all. And then hundreds of dollars would go missing all at once. That’s when Lorraine started to say something and stick up for her family. Unfortunately since her Dad was always drunk, he would lash out in abusive ways. After she discovered a way out of their marriage, when Maria was in 8th grade, her mom just gave up.
Maria had to go to work soon, and realized that she couldn’t let herself get all worked up, “I’ll see you tomorrow Ms. Burrows.”
“Okay sweetheart have a good day at work”, she hollered as Maria walked out of the classroom.

***

As Maria drove up to her apartment building she noticed that the window got cracked. Again. There was four buildings to the whole complex, and they all faced in towards each other creating a rectangle. The red brick made it look very faded and old, but on a sunny cool October day like this, it blended nicely.
Maria’s mom couldn’t afford a lot after her divorce. They’re apartment building is very run down and poorly taken care of. Inside you see mice scurrying from wall to wall, then vanish. Sometimes you’ll even see a cockroach or two.
Everyday on her way in from school, Maria always checks the mail. The hinges have been wobbly and have been giving her trouble on the mailbox.
As Maria put her key in the door it got jammed, and she had to jerk the key inside to turn it the rest of the way. Maria pushed and pulled and jerked, and kind of cursed at herself for a split second and then all at once, BANG! Off came the door to the mailbox. Just the next thing to add to the list of Maria’s Amazing Day. “Dammit!” Maria punched the wall, still holding the key in her hand, and the key in the door.
She walked up to the third floor knowing that once she got inside things could only get worst. It was really hard for Maria to see her mom totally out of it. Some people don’t realize how bad the drug really is. Her words are slurred, she can barely function, and she nods out in mid sentence. Maria has barely talked to her mom in the past 4 years in fact, the past 4 years her moms barely even gotten off the couch.
Another problem with having an addicted parent is that Maria's mom doesnt work. Once a month she gets checks from the government for child support. With some of Marias money from work they barely get by. But thats the problem. Whats her mom going to do when she leaves. How is she going to survive? Realistically and financially.

***

On the nicer part of town Nathan was getting ready for his football game. Nathan loved football games because the next day in school, he always got a lot of attention from teachers and other students. Nathan loved being the center of attention, and he always was.
Ever since Nathan was born, he’s been guaranteed a full ride to college. One reason is because no matter how much you dislike Nathan, you can’t deny he’s a natural professional at football. Another reason he has it so well off is because his parents are very wealthy. His dad is the #1 surgeon in Chicago, and his Mom has been a lawyer for 13 years. The last reason that secures his college education, is his father. His father has coached the same football team for 10 years, and when he was a teenager he played for them as well and even took them to championships every year since his freshman year. He’s very well known by colleges everywhere, which make an F or 2 (or 4), excusable.
“Nathan let’s go we're going to be late,” his Dad bellowed from the bottom of the staircase.
“Why do we have to rush, they can't start anything until we get there anyways,” said Nathan annoyed.
His Dad knows they’ve spoiled him but they always support him to “be himself” and “say what he feels”.
“It’s called common courtesy, ever heard of it,” he said as he rolled his eyes, “I know I taught you manners.”
“I’m here, i’m here,” Nathan snickered as he raced down the winding staircase.

***
Maria hated work. She almost hated it more than the people that came in there. On her way to work she contemplated ways to help her mom. Maria loved her mom more then anything, and wasn't going to allow her to do this the rest of her life. Even though Maria wouldn't put any plan into effect until she graduated and moved out, it still needed to be figured out now. Graduation is less than a year away.

***

Tonight was a slow night. The pizza shop didn’t get much business anyways unless its a weekend. However being the only waitress on shift, gave Maria a run for her money. She was tired of always getting the shitty end of the stick. She had good grades. Had a job. She didnt party or bully people, so why her? Why did she have to be the one that had to deal with everything at once, and work twice as hard as the more fortunate people. 
Ding. In walked a customer. It didn’t matter now.
She grabbed 2 menus and went to go greet the 2 customers at their table. That’s when it all happened. When time stopped. When everything all of a sudden made sense. It’s when she saw Nathan. They made eye contact and did flinch for about 30 seconds. Like the focus on a camera, everything went blurry, except for the main focus, which they both had on each other. Then reality came right back from behind her and smacked her in the face.
“Maria!” her boss shouted from behind. “I dont pay you to stand there and look pretty. Get to doing something before you're OUT!”
“Oh yes sir of course,” she responded and she shook her head and came out of her day dream.
She turned back to the customer after her boss left.
“Sorry about that,” she said scrunching her face smiling. She always tries to hide her feelings.
“Oh nu-no,” Nathan stuttered, “Your fine. Perfectly fine. Like really, really fine.” They both had to chuckle at that one.
“Are you ready to order, or are you waiting for someone?”
Maria didn’t really know what she meant by this question. Probably trying to imply if he was with his girlfriend. It didn’t matter. Her head was like a scrambled egg now. Nothing made sense, and her hands kept getting really sweaty.
“Oh my Dad’s in the bathroom but he just told me to order for him,” he said as he still held that confident smile from ear to ear.
“Okay great, what can I get for you?” she asked him still blushing.
“Just a buffalo chicken pizza, 2 pepsis, and maybe possibly your number?” He asked with such hesitation. This confused Maria, but at the same time she liked it. Nobody was ever nervous about talking to her,especially the star athlete of her school and town. Nobody ever asked her out. Up until now her only friend was Ms Burrows.
“Are you for-seri,” she stopped herself and they both laughed again.
“Yes i’m so serious”, he said as he answered her unfinished question.
“Well then yeah take it down,” she said right as his dad came out of the bathroom.
He butted in with no hesitation, “What's going on here?”
“Oh hey dad this is Maria.”
“Hi sir how are you, its a pleasure to meet you.” she smiled as she shook his hand.
“What do you flirt with all the cute guys that come in here?” Maria couldn’t tell if he was just joking or not so she asked if she could excuse her self to go place in their order.
***

For the next couple weeks Maria and Nathan became inseparable. She went to every football game, and started to become really popular with Nathan and his friends.  Maria has never in her life felt like she came first to somebody and sometimes, it bothered her that she couldn't think of a reason they got along so well.  They just worked. Was it that he was her first boyfriend? One of her first real friends? She didn’t know. She was a teenage girl about to graduate, and school right now is better than its ever been. She dreamed of her and Nathan moving and going to college together. Getting out of Chicago, far away from this place that brought her despair. Far away from all of her parents problems, so they were no longer hers.
In their spare time they would sit at the park at night, walk around the city, go to museums, talk by the big fountain for hours, and would always try to do things that were some what productive. While walking around the city, and watching the stars from the park at night, it made Maria think of how crazy and beautiful life is. It helped her to be like a sponge, and absorb everything around her, and showed her how priceless every breathe we take is.
Maria started to realize that her mom used to be happy, and used to feel this way if not stronger about her dad. Actually having a boyfriend, made her understand what her mom lost when she divorced her dad.  It helped her to relate to the bond her mom lost with her father, and helped her relate to her situation. It didn’t make the addiction go away or any better, just more understanding.

***

Tonight was a clear night. The sky had no clouds, and was a pure black. Maria loved to lay at the park on nights like this with Nathan. Since they live in a city its hard to see stars, so on a night like this, its one of the only chances you'll get.
Maria looked up at the sky, and looked all around her. She took a deep breath, and slowly breathed out with a sigh of relief.
“What are you thinking about babe?” Nathan asked when he caught her looking around so much.
What was she thinking about? Her mom? Her dad? Peanuts? Stars? The answer was everything. Maria was thinking about how crazy everything is. How crazy it was that the planet and the universe just worked for us humans, and out of all of it, it brought her and Nathan together this very moment.
“I don’t know. Life?” She chuckled.
“Yeah its crazy. I can’t believe were about to graduate.” he stated as he started to realize.
“I wouldn’t want to be spending my last year of high school with anyone else in the world,” she exclaimed to him, “You make me happier than i've ever been.” And it was true. All the happiness, the butterflies, they were real, and she couldn't express it to him enough. She was blinded by her first love, which was something she didnt even believe in till October, and with her whole life coming together perfectly 3 months to graduation, she had no care in the world.
“I feel the same way baby,” he said as he locked eyes with her. Slowly he started to lean in and kiss her, and she felt special at moments like this. They kissed softly, as she ran her fingers through her hair and gripped at his big, lean muscles. Easily they leaned back in unison to lay on the grass. She lifted his shirt and let her hand roam his abs, and feel his skin. His smooth skin made her get lost, and she would lose feeling from all her surroundings. Slowly he got on top of her, and his body heat made her melt. He started to touch her stomach, and he started to unbutton her jeans.
“Maybe we should wait a little longer, ya know, just till after graduation,” she hinted.
“I thought you said I made you happier than you’ve ever been,” he said as pushed up to look her in the eyes. She could tell he was stirred by this question.
“You think that’s not true just because I wont have sex with you?” Nathan didn’t answer, and Maria grew furious.Furious that she fell for something so stupid. After watching her mom put up with all the games her dad played, she promised herself she wouldn't allow that to happen to her. She was also upset, because he was one of the first people to earn her love. And he was one of the first that showed so much love for her. But now she felt used and betrayed.
“I gotta go,” she ordered as she tried to hurry and get up.
“NO!” He was screaming, why did it escalade to this?
“You're not going anywhere until I say you are!” With that he grabbed her wrist and pinned them to the ground. Sitting over her stomach he was watching her struggle. She cried to him, “Please just let me go!”
Slowly he leaned down towards her face, and whispered in her ear, so smooth and relaxed. Yet so disgusting and evil. “Ya know I actually felt bad for. First your dad, then your mom, now you. You're all just worthless I guess you could say. You wanna know why?”
“Your a piece of s***!” She was screaming and trying to break her arms free as best she could.
He replied,” You don’t matter. You can cry your little heart out all night. Its just gonna feel better for me, because no one will hear you. No one will come looking for you.”
Maria was drained. She had no fight left in her. She had nothing to fight for. She laid on the ground crying, wondering why and how life could be this bad.
Nathan hurt her, and he was anything but gentle. Having it be her first time, Maria just clawed at the ground and cried. Cried from the pain, physical and emotional. He grabbed her hair and snapped her head pack, and then slammed her face into the ground.
All of a sudden he climbed off of her. She turned around and he was pulling his pants up. “You're disgusting, and you’ll never get away with this,” She screamed, releasing all of her hurtful feelings.
He turned around and she was scared. The look in his eye way pure demonic. They looked like their was no soul looking through them. He started to walk towards her, and she ran backwards, backing away. All of a sudden she tripped and fell. He grabbed her by the front of the neck and lifted her so close to his face that he spit on her. “If you ever tell anyone about this I will promise you, your life is limited.”
With that he clenched his fist, and swung forward, and then...black.

***

Maria woke up cold, and on the grass. Her head pounded, and there was a puddle of blood in her pants. Maria just layed there with no movement. No energy. No feeling.

***

Maria floated through the next couple of weeks like a ghost. She didn’t speak to anyone at work or school, not even Ms Burrows. She flunked all of her finals, and started to skip school.
When ms Burrows would confront Maria about this, Maria would grow defensive and lash out. Ms Burrows became concerned, and didn’t know what to do.
Maria started to throw up in school, and get nauseous really bad. She believed it was her lack of food, and activity.
Maria became concerned about this and realized Nathan didn’t wear condom that night. Maria froze shocked at the risk at hand. Could she get pregnant her first time? She wondered to herself and let her head roam. She became paranoid and freaked herself out. How am I going to college? How am I going to get out of here? How can I even afford a baby?
Maria punched the bathroom stall. Her legs gave out and she slowly just fell to the floor. She heard the door open, and in walked Ms Burrows.
“Maria open this door right now, and if you don’t I will call someone in here to open this door,” she demanded.
Ms burrows was worried about Maria and always looked out for her.
Maria opened the door, crying her eyes out. She stood up and fell right into Ms Burrows arms. The warmth of a hug never felt so good.
“Maria tell me what is going on right now, and don’t tell me no again.”
Maria told her that she might be pregnant and not to ask any other questions because she didn’t want to talk about it. Ms Burrows was in disbelief, but she knew Maria would talk when she was ready.
“Tell you what,” Ms Burrows hinted, “how about when you graduate you stay with me for a little bit. If you are pregnant, I can watch the baby at night, so you can take night classes. I'll also be able to help support the baby in between your paychecks. Sound like a deal?”
After everything this year, Maria couldn't continue to cry even if she wanted to. No it wasn't her dream. She wasn't  moving out of state, or going to some nice university. But Maria had hope and for the first time in awhile she had faith.

***
After graduation Nathan went to college, full ride. He never got arrested for what happened, but he got jumped his first day as a freshman. No senior likes a cocky freshman. However Nathan continued to play football. He never finds out about his daughter, and him and Maria don’t speak again.
As for Maria, she got 2 part time jobs, and started to take night classes. Her mom got evicted and was no in a rehab facility. Maria stayed at Ms Burrows house, and they raised beautiful Laylonee on their own. She ended up telling Ms Burrows everything that happened that night, and she promised not to call the cops if Maria went to counseling.  Everything was slowly coming together for Maria, and she was learning how to stand on her own again.