Digimon: Night Star | Teen Ink

Digimon: Night Star

By SilverCrow, Trenton, Massachusetts
SilverCrow, Trenton, Massachusetts

We come to love not by finding a perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly.
- Sam Keen, from To Love and Be Loved

Eight year old Josh Yarrow just survived a car crash. Blood was bleeding from his head, his right arm was broken; pieces of glass were pierced in his arm, and his eyes were dripping with tears. Forlorn pain wallowed inside Josh's stomach as he was grieving for his mother and his younger brother Carter—both were in the car when it crashed.

" M-mom," Josh stuttered while he was crawling on the shards of glass from the car wreck. " Mom."

Josh crawled behind his wreck car. But as he looked behind the car, he saw his own mother lying on the ground. Her arms were bleeding with bright, clean red blood, both her legs were twisted; she may've dislodged the bones in her ankles, a giant piece of glass in her chest, but the most horrific site was a giant piece of glass lodged in her head.

" Mom!"

Josh couldn't move. Besides having his hands and legs pierced with glass, Josh was too paralysed with fear too move. The only thing Josh could hear was the blurring sound of an ambulance behind him. Soon two paramedics saw Josh in his injured body, ran up to him, placed a gas mask over his face, and he felt the gas "Methoxyflurane" in his mouth.

" It's going to be alright, son," one of the paramedics said holding the mask near Josh's face.

" Everything's going to be okay," another paramedic said.

Josh felt drowsy and lethargic. With the Methoxyflurane in his mouth, Josh knew he'd lose consciousness soon enough. But while he would soon pass out, Josh could only think about his little brother.

" Carter, where are you? Carter…"

5 years later

" You got a 'D'? Do you even have a brain? When I was your age, I'd at least get 'B's'. But you can't. And do you know why? It's because you're a pathetic, useless, brainless bum!"

Josh thought he was used to listening to his foster father's exploits, but he couldn't stop shedding tears from his remarks. But while he was getting yelled at, his foster mother Patricia would get beaten by his foster father Mitchell.

Josh had been living under the roofs of three different foster parents ever since he was first sent to his orphanage. His first foster parents kicked him out because he was too mopey. His second parents kicked him out because he "scared" them. And his new foster parents, Mitchell and Patricia, were having different thoughts on him. Patricia was protective of him, always trying to stop Mitchell from attacking him, but got hit in his place. Mitchell, the angry, abusive husband found Josh's presence too be revolting.

" I tried my best," Josh moaned while his hands were on his legs. " But I guess my best didn't meet your expectations."

" Your damn right it didn't! You'll never amount to anything, you useless twit!"

" Mitchell, leave him alone!" Patricia begged grabbing her husband's hands as he raised them in anger. " He's just a little boy. I'm sure he just needs a little affection is all—"

" Shut up, wench!"

Mitchell smacked his own wife Patricia across her cheek. Josh couldn't stand it, day after day, he couldn't stand seeing Patricia being abused; she was the only person who ever cared about him. As Josh weeped, he grabbed his school bag and headed for the door, only to be stopped by the angry, foul smelling Mitchell.

" And where do you think you're going?" Mitchell with his stench smelling breath.

" I'm going to school," Josh said, nearly cried.

" Good. Maybe you'll learn something for once." Mitchell moved out Josh's way. He then pointed his fingers at Patricia who was still groveling on the ground. " And you. If you ever get in my way again, I promise you'll regret it."

Josh couldn't stand another being in his ruined house with his foster parents. Crying, his body trembling, he opened the door to his home and walked outside. A new day awaited Josh—he didn't know how fortune would fall down on him.

YYY

" Hi, mom, it's me, Josh. Sorry I haven't seen you in a while. I did promise I'd visit you from time to time. But I have nothing nice to tell you."

Josh was in a cemetery standing over the grave of his dead mother. He didn't want to believe it, but underneath the ground was his mothers' skeleton. Every time he thought about it, a tear dripped from Josh's eyes. Josh's prolong suffering was nothing less of colossus.

" Nothing's new with me. Same old stupid house, same old stupid stepfather, same old stupid school, and same old stupid kids who laugh at me. Stupid, stupid, stupid! Oops, I'm sorry I said such vulgar things too you. But I'm just so sad. Your gone, dads gone, I don't know where Carter is; don't even know if he's still alive, and everyone resents me. I just want things to change."

Josh carried with him a small white tulip he plucked off the ground. Josh gently placed the tulip on the grave site, covering the stems with dirt, cried over the soil. Josh finally had to go since he had school too attend to.

Josh was halfway between his moms' grave and the entrance to the cemetery. While he traveled, Josh accidentally tripped on a small rock and fell into the grass. Josh could feel wet grass tingling in his teeth. Josh then tried standing up, but he flinched when he felt blood dripping from his hands.

" I'm just so useless. I belong in the gutter. Why, why, why am I just so pathetic? I wish I had courage. If I had even the slightest bit of power, I wouldn't waste it."

Just as Josh was able to stand up again, he noticed something glowing in front of his eyes. What he saw seemed like an egg, it had blue diagonally shaped marks on it, small red stars, but was black in color. Josh was intrigued by the egg. With what little strength he had, he grabbed the egg and lifted it off the ground. It felt heavy in his hands, but Josh felt joy holding it.

" I wonder what this is. I-I can almost feel a heartbeat in it. But just what type of animals in it?" As Josh looked at the egg, he noticed the time on his Roulex. As he looked at the watch, he saw how he was late for school. " I might as well take it with me. Maybe my teacher's will know what it is."

Thirteen year old Josh Yarrow finally reached his school. Fortunately and unfortunately he was able to arrive before the bell rang. The fortunate part was the teachers wouldn't phone home to his vile, abusive stepfather, but unfortunate because he was surrounded by students—each and every one hated him.

" Hey, it's that freak, Yarrow," One of the students snidely remarked.

" What a loser."

" Weirdo."

" Freak."

" I hear he has lunch under the bleachers. Is he some kind of mole man or something?"

" I hear he likes to go too alleyways after school to talk to feed stray animals. Doesn't he know stray animals would be better off dead?"

" I hear he visits the cemetery almost every day before school. He's always saying ' mommy, mommy, mommy I love you; please come back home to me'. Ha. It's no wonder his mother died in a car crash. She probably tried committing suicide because she couldn't stand being near a freak like him—"

" Just stop it! STOP!" Josh's heart was weighed heavily by his anger. However, because Josh never wanted to resort to violence, he just ran away from the kids heckling him. " What makes me so different from them? All because I do different things from them that classifies me as a 'freak'. But no matter where I go, I can hear them taunting in my head."

" Josh is a loooooser. Josh is a looooooser. Josh is a looooooser."

The bell then rang and everyone forgot about Josh and walked inside. Josh however couldn't feel his legs move; they were too him a wiggly bowl of jelly.

" There goes the bell. Until I moved here, I never knew what it meant to be Saved by The Bell. They sure don't. They don't even have any concern about how they hurt me. That motto's the only thing that stuck by me day after day. If only I had one friend, I wouldn't feel so lonely."

Josh kept the egg he found in the cemetery inside his knapsack. Josh unzipped his knapsack, reached his hands in and pulled out the giant egg with the black shell. Josh touched the side of his egg and felt a small heartbeat beating inside of it. From all his forlorn suffering, the egg his only glimpse of hope, Josh started crying from his eyes.

" You'll be my friend, won't you?"

YYY

School was finally over. After taking a stop to the alleyways, feeding stray animals and purchasing a carton of milk, Josh finally reached his rundown, quaint little home. The temperature in the thermostat seemed colder too him than usual—like he was walking through a dark, foggy cemetery.

"I'm home. I got you a carton of mil—"

" It's about time you got your lazy ass back here, punk."

The blood in Josh's veins turned cold at the sound of Mitchell's raunchy, alcohol filled breath. Josh turned his head left and saw his stepfather Mitchell sitting on a leather sofa. He had a lit cigar in his left hand, a 40 oz bottle of liquor in his left, and a grim look on his face. His eyes were glaring into Josh's.

" Mitchell? W-why are you—"

" Sit down, punk."

" Sit down? B-but we only have one chair—"

" I said Sit Down!"

Josh sat his down and crossed his legs as if on impulse. Josh felt a tingle in his blood as Mitchell's eyes continued to glare down on him. Mitchell finally got off the couch and stood over Josh. But while he was walking around Josh, he still held his liquor and lit cigar.

" W-where is Patricia?"

" The wife isn't here."

" Huh? Then where is she?"

" How should I know? We got into a fight after you left and went to school, and she left me. I haven't seen her in six hours."

" Six hours? W-why didn't you call the school and tell me you didn't know where mom is?"

" Don't call her that! She is not your mother! I am not your father! I'd never pass my genes onto a pathetic, useless thing like you. But you don't have to worry about my wife. You're going to have a new lady friend in your life."

" W-what? What new lady friend?"

" You might already know her. She's my wife's sister April."

" H-her sister? Why aren't you looking for your wife? You should be outside searching for her; not trying to replace her. What kind of husband are you?"

" Hey! HEY! Don't you try to tell me what to do, you little s***! You're not married! You wouldn't know anything about living with one!"

" Maybe so. But if I did have a wife, I wouldn't just try to replace her if something bad happened to her and I didn't know where she was. I'd be out looking for her. It's one act of chivalry me and your wife both have."

" Chivalry? Do you really think there's chivalry with that wench of a wife? She left you. And let me tell you why."

-Six Hours ago—

" I'm tired of this, Mitchell. I'm tired of the way you treat me. I try to get close to you, but you always just push me away."

" Well excuse me for being a good husband! Who's the one that let you adopt that brainless kid because you were sterile? Who works 12 hours each day to bring food on this table? It certainly isn't you. You're a lazy wife who can't do anything right. You're living with a husband who—"

" A husband who what? An egotistic husband who beats me? A husband who sleeps around with other women every time he makes a spar buck? A husband who drinks and smokes? And for the record, I wanted a son because I thought he'd help you grow up. But I guess I was wrong. I'm going."

" Hey, where do you think you're going?"

" Where do you think? Away from you."

" Hey, get back here! I have a solution for all our problems."

Patricia stopped moving. " Okay." Patricia walked over to Mitchell. " What is your solution?"

Mitchell clamped his hands on Patricia's left hand and started to squeeze her. " That you be a good wife and behave!

" Get off me! Get your filthy hands off me!" Patricia pulled her hands away from Mitchell's grasp and slapped him. After she slapped him, Patricia rushed out of the door, yelling, " I'm done! I'm done massaging your ego. I'm done letting you beat me. And it makes me sick spending a single second with you. I'm leaving. Tell Josh...I'm sorry."

-Present-

" And that's all she wrote, you little s***. She's not coming back and you're stuck with me."

" No! Noooooooo."

A small hole was ripped drilled through in Josh's heart. Crying, dripping tears on the dirty ground, Josh walked and nearly ran trying to get away from the vile, angry eyes of Mitchell.

" Hey, don't you walk away from me!"

Mitchell lost control and whacked his beer bottle behind Josh. The bottle hurt, it pushed Josh down, and then he felt Mitchell's heavy feet pressing against his back.

"" Ahhhhh!" Josh cried quietly from his pain.

" You know, when I was your age, my father used to beat me. He told me I'd be just like him. And whenever I talked back to him, he'd punch me. Like this!"

Mitchell pulled his right hand back and punched Josh. Josh could feel pain lingering up inside of his lungs from Mitchell's strong, brawny hands hitting his back. Josh wanted to fight back, he wanted to get Mitchell off him, but he didn't have the strength.

" Owwwwwwwww."

" And he didn't just punch me once; no. As soon as he punched me once—" Mitchell punched Josh in his back again. " He'd punch me again! And do you know what it taught me? It taught me to become a man. My wife's not here to save you now, chicken-s***. It's just you and me. Now why don't you be a good boy and behave like she should've. You and me are going to be together for a long-long time."

YYY

Hours passed, and Mitchell just let his injured, crying step son on the cold, dirty ground. Mitchell was in the same house as Josh for the first few hours, but left to go to a nightclub without any care of Josh's well-being. After lying on the ground for four whole hours—doing nothing but cry from his sorrow—Josh finally found the strength to stand up.

" Why does everyone hate me?" Josh thought. His pain was immense but thinking about his prolong suffering made him fidget even more. " All I ever wanted was to see a world without violence. A world where everyone can be happy. Why is it I'm the only one who doesn't belong in that world?"

Josh moved limply too Mitchell's Man Cave. It was the only room Mitchell went to seek solitude from the pain in the family—most of which were caused by him. The room was filled with everything a man could ask for—a computer, Playboy magazines, beer, a stash of 6-pack cigars—but what was most alluring too Josh was Mitchell's gun collection.

" This is not a world for someone like me." The case protecting the guns were made of glass. Josh, who was seeking the only conviction that would help Patricia and make Mitchell suffer, smashed his elbow into the glass. The glass shattered on impact. " Made not this world but some other world will take me for what I am." With the glass shattered, Mitchell took out a shotgun from Mitchell's collection, opened his mouth, and placed the shotgun in his mouth. " I'm a plague."

Josh could feel his mind going blank. His hand was numb on the trigger, the gun was in his mouth, and all his suffering, abuse would end with one touch. But the very same idea would also end all his other emotions: happiness, joy, love, dreams…

" Dad, Mom, Carter, I'm sorry—"

Josh heard a buzzing sound in his ears. Thinking it was the police, Josh took Mitchell's shotgun out of his mouth and dropped it on the ground. Josh then realized the noise wasn't the sound of sirens but was coming from his backpack instead.

" W-what?"

Josh rushed over to his backpack and unzipped the zipper. Inside Josh saw the egg he found at the cemetery, but he found it too be glowing a white, radiant color. As the egg started too glow, Josh could feel a crack.

" W-what's going on?"

The light finally cleared and a furry creature appeared. The creature almost looked like a pig, short, four-legged, and pointy eared. However, it had a small spiky tail protruding out its back, small yellow eyes, a curvy mouth and white fur on its mouth. The creature stared into Josh's eyes and started too blink.

" W-what are you?"

Josh couldn't believe his eyes. One moment he was trying to end his life by committing suicide, but now he was embraced with a small, furry creature that appeared out of the egg. The strange purple furred creature felt light in his hands. As he was holding the strange creature, it blinked staring into Josh's eyes.

" This thing looks like a dog," Josh thought holding the strange yet seemingly harmless creature in his hands. " But it came out of an egg. What type of dog comes out of an egg?"

" Dodo," the strange creature mumbled blinking its eyes at Josh.

Josh could almost say the thing looked cute in his hands. Holding it made him almost feel like he was a mother holding a baby. Its purple fur brushed against Josh's fingers. He thoroughly rubbed its underbelly. Josh could almost hear the newly born creature purr.

" It's kind of cute. I wonder if I was ever this cute. Doubtful. Mom use to say I looked like the alien from that movie Aliens." Josh chuckled as he reminisced about his mother. " Ooh, she had a strange sense of humor. But that's what I loved about her."

" Dodo."

The creature finally stopped letting itself be pampered by Josh's warm hands and jumped off. The creature scampered away from Josh and ran to the door leading outside. Even though it didn't have any fingernails, the creature clawed at the door as if it was trying to get outside.

" Oh, you want to go out, eh?"

Josh knew that the door was locked, but he knew where Mitchell kept the key. After going through the ashes of Mitchell's mothers cremated vase, finding the bronze skeleton key, Josh walked to the door, opened the door by twisting the key through the doors keyway, the door opened. Josh pushed on the door and it slide open.

" There. One of us has to be free. It's not me; it has to be you." The small pig-like creature slowly stepped over to the door Josh opened. The creature peeked its head through the door, then slowly walked outside. " Good-bye, little fello—"

" Dodo!"

The small pig-like creature jumped up and bite its teeth on Josh's collar. The creature was stronger than he looked, he pulled Josh down and bragged him through the door. Josh could only scream as he was being dragged away.

" Ahhhhhhhh! Stop! Let me go!"

The small yet strong creature didn't listen too Josh. It dragged him through the door, outside, and into the darkness.

YYY

Josh was still being pulled by the small creature. Josh no longer felt the need to yell anymore. Under the night, his body became numb as he was no longer felt the pain of being dragged by the newly hatched being. His ears however weren't as numb as his skin as he could hear the shrieking sound of the being in his ears.

" He sure is strong for a little guy. What type of creature is he that can run so fast and pull so strong? Not even a baby lion could be this strong and fast at the same time."

The creature finally stopped running and dropped Josh on the cold, wet floor. As Josh stood up, he saw how he and the creature were near a river. The water streaming down the riverbank looked clean and moved at a mellow speed. The creature, who was flipping in circles as it moved, jumped in the riverbank, then it turned to Josh and barked joyously.

" Dodo! Dodo! Dodo!"

" I guess you're pretty cute," Josh though out loud looking at the small, round creature bark and splash around in the water. "But you're scarier than you're cute."

The creature dunked its head in the water and swallowed a gallon of water in its mouth. Slurping the water around, swishing the water in its mouth, it then spat water in Josh's face.

" Eww!" Josh rubbed his soaked face with his hands and scraped the water off. "That's disgusting! There was drool in that water too!"

" Dodo! Dodo! Dodo!" The small pig faced creature laughed and wagged its tail at Josh's torture.

Josh gave in to the creature's laughing, smirked, then got up and ran towards the riverbank. " Oh, you're so dead."

Josh ran into the river and splashed the creature with the water. The creature however countered Josh's splashing by dunking its head underwater and spraying water at Josh. Josh and the creature both laughed together splashing each other with water. Josh in particular was happy; his laugh was merry and his face was priceless.

" I can't remember the last time I had fun like this," Josh thought as he splashed the purple furred creature, then he was sprayed in his face with water, but continued to laugh. " This is amazing. A minute ago I just wanted to die, but now I'm feeling the hilarity of life. It's like I'm touching a star with my own hands."

Even though Josh was having lots of fun splashing the creature, he finally lost control of his legs and fell on the ground. On the ground, Josh was laughing at the top of his lungs. The creature, who was also tired from playing around, jumped on Josh's chest whereas he purred like a kitten on him.

" I don't know what I was thinking. I was just being stupid for thinking there was nothing for me. I haven't even begun my life and I was thinking of quitting?" Josh sighed and gently rubbed the top of the creatures head. " I think I want to take care of you, whatever you are. I think you and I are getting along."

YYY

" Boy!" Mitchell shouted entering his house with his breath reeking of booze. " Boy, where are you?"

Mitchell stormed through the halls of his house looking for Josh. But when he couldn't find Josh anywhere, he threw his bottle of booze at the wall and it shattered on contact. The first thing Mitchell noticed after throwing his bear bottle was the smashed case where he kept his guns.

" What did you do now, you little punk?" Mitchell stormed through the halls and barged into Josh's room. On his bed, Mitchell saw a letter lying on Josh's pillow. " What's this?"

Mitchell swiped the letter off the pillow and unfolded it. Mitchell's eyes felt drowsy as he was still intoxicated with alcohol, had too tilt the letter left, and held the letter under the headlight.

" What? This is a letter from my wife? Why would she be writing him a letter?" Mitchell held his hand over the top of the letter and continued to read from it. " Dear Josh. By the time you read this, I'll already be gone. I'm sorry for all the trouble I've put you through. I'm sorry me and Mitchell couldn't be the family you've always wanted. But there is a way for you and I too make a fresh start. I'm taking a train to get out of town, somewhere in Station 09; the same subway you and I use to take to buy groceries together. I'll be waiting on the subway terminal from 3-12 P.M. All the best of love, Patricia."

Mitchell's anger was at its peak. His head felt like it was boiling under hot water. Mitchell crumbled the letter in his hand, ripped it in pieces, and threw the pieces on the ground.

" What? WHAT? She was going to leave me and run off with that KID? I'll kill her! I'll kill both of THEM!"

Mitchell stormed too his Man Cave. Angry, intoxicated from his alcohol, Mitchell picked up his shotgun and stormed out of his Man Cave with it. As Mitchell was storming through the house, he heard a creaking noise from his door.

" What?" Mitchell had a sudden idea. Mitchell stormed through his open door. As he was outside, Mitchell saw footsteps on the ground. They weren't Josh's, but Mitchell in his delusional mind couldn't tell the difference. " I got you now, chicken-s***. I'm going to find you. I'm going to find you and I'm going to kill you."