Man vs Man | Teen Ink

Man vs Man

(I advise you to watch the following movie; The little mermaid, for a better understanding of the story)

Charles was harshly pushed, sending his body hurling into a dark alley. The impact had his vision blurred as he gazed up at a dark figure that looked like a woman. However, he noticed that what was supposed to be her arm was missing. In its place was a slimy appendage that flowed beside her. As he tried to make sense of what he was seeing, the nauseating smell of rotten fish and seaweed filled his nostrils, and the squelching sound of the slimy appendage echoed in the alley.

“Sea Witch!” Charles trembled as he looked into her snake-like eyes, feeling a sense of fear in his stomach. Her eyes were violet and filled with anger as she approached him. Her raven black hair was slicked back, and her skin was translucent, revealing a network of veins that pulsed with a strange energy. As she walked, her sharp hips swayed naturally and poked through her white gown. The sound of her feet slapping against the pavement echoed in the alley, and the smell of saltwater and decay filled the air.

Charles cried out, "What do you want from me?!" He staggered back and fell against a pile of garbage cans, which only seemed to infuriate the woman more as she towered over him. Her seductive features twisted into a scowl as the man's frightened expression deepened. Her breath was hot and humid, and it felt like a wave of heat that washed over him. He could now say she was not human, but something otherworldly.  "Pl~please, I have nothing on me," he pleaded, his voice shaking. 

"You’re pretty frightened for a fearless pirate," the woman teased. Her lone tentacle coiled tightly around his body, suffocating him until he begged for mercy. The slimy appendage was cold and clammy, and it felt like a snake coiled around him. The woman's expression changed from grim to crazed, and her violet eyes faded to a dark gray. Her lips peeled back to reveal razor-sharp teeth as she tightened her grip. His vision began to blur, and he felt like he was drowning. The sound of his own heartbeat filled his ears.

The witch muttered slowly, "I've come to make a bargain," as she released Charles from her death grip. He coughed up blood and doubled over in pain, clutching his stomach where the witch had strangled him. He felt like his ribs were broken, and he struggled to catch his breath. "You used to do work for my sister, Morgana, right?" she asked, her voice low and menacing. The woman's tentacle-like appendage slithered back into her sleeve, and she took a step back. 

Ignoring her question Charles leaned against a brick house and looked up at her with a defeated expression on his rough face. His eyes were bloodshot, and he looked like he hadn't slept in days. "I don't do dirty work for sea witches anymore," he said, trying to sound bold, but his voice cracked with every word. "My pirating days were over a long time ago," he added, his voice barely above a whisper. The witch's eyes narrowed, and she took a step closer to him. He flinched but didn't move.

The woman's red lips curved into a smirk. "I had a feeling you'd say that," she said. A crack of thunder echoed through the gray sky, and hard droplets of rain started to pour down on them. Charles shivered, and his teeth chattered as the cold rain soaked through his clothes. "You see, Charles!" she said, spitting his name like venom. 

“H~How do you kn~”.

“I didn’t ask what you do and don’t do," the witch gritted out, her voice rising above the sound of the guards rushing past the alleyway on high alert, searching for the sea witch who had stolen the voice of Prince Eric's woman, and the witch knew she was on a very thin line. "I have a favor to ask of you, and in return, I'll give you what you truly desire," the witch offered. Her eyes flickered from the entrance of the alleyway to him, and Charles could feel the heavy weight of her gaze on him. The rain was pouring down harder now, and he could barely see her through the thick curtain of water.

"I have nothing that I want from you. I have nothing to desire," Charles said strongly, feeling some closure when he knew many guards were searching for the woman glaring down at him from the bottom of her nose. He could hear their pondering footsteps over the heavy rain that covered them like a blanket. The anger of the sky showed no solace as blue lightning shot from any direction. 

The witch's eyes narrowed, and her lips curved into a cruel smile. "Everyone has something they desire," she said, her voice low and dangerous. "And I can give it to you.” Charles shook his head, but he couldn't deny the curiosity that was burning inside him. He wondered what the witch could offer him that he truly desired.

"Oh, but I know what you desire, Charles," the witch went on, her voice barely above a whisper. She lifted her intact hand and dragged an acrylic nail softly against his cheek. Charles shuddered at her touch, and he could feel her breath on his skin. A charming smile formed on her lips, and a deep dimple arose from her left cheek. The witch's eyes sparked with interest, and he couldn't help but feel drawn to her.

"I've heard your cries of terror at night, blaming yourself for your daughter's death," the woman said, her voice falling deeper into false pity with each word. Her sincere tone drowned into the depths of Charles's mind, and he stilled,  her words swarmed through his chest, squeezing around his heart until it felt like all the blood was going to be drained out of him. His eyes widened, and he felt his breath catch in his throat. How could this witch know about his daughter's death? The pain of losing her still felt fresh, and he couldn't bear to think about it. The witch leaned closer, her eyes boring into his. "I can bring her back to you, Charles," she whispered.

Charles's heart skipped a beat, and he felt a glimmer of hope. Could it be possible? Could his daughter really come back to him? But he knew better than to trust the witch's words. He had heard of sea witches' dark magic, hell he even worked for one, and he knew that there would be a terrible price to pay if he agreed.

The flesh attached to the lone tentacle was torn off as the slimy appendage became longer and larger. Four purple suckers roamed on the outer part of the black appendage. The woman lifted the tentacle in a circular motion, skillfully creating a barrier that hid them from the human eye as two guards rushed into the alley, and despite their harsh tone, their voices were barely muffled by the shield that she created. 

"Surrender now, or King Triton will deal with you, Ursula"

"Prince Eric will have your head! Ursula!"

"What do you say, Charles?" she whispered urgently. 

"Ursula," Charles repeated the name quietly. His face was still blank, but when he looked up, his expression crumbled, Charles's eyes widened, and his heart began to race. That name sounded familiar. The witch watched him carefully, her eyes gleaming with cruel satisfaction. And then it clicked, Charles knew he was in trouble. He had heard stories of Ursula, the sea witch, and her dark magic from her younger sister Morgana. Morgana had warned him never to cross paths with Ursula, but here he was, right in the middle of her lair. 

“I see you finally recognized me” Ursula whispered in Charles's ear. She then pulled back and said, "My sister must have done a good job of telling you who I am." Finally, she stepped back to look at Charles's reaction. 

Charles's eyes glazed over as he stared at Ursula, feeling her hot breath on his ear. A tear trickled down his cheek as he whispered, "It's all a game to you." He felt powerless and vulnerable, knowing that Ursula would always have the upper hand. "It doesn't matter if I agree to the deal or not," he said, his voice trembling with fear.

Is this the price I would have to pay? He thought 

Ursula let out a laugh that echoed through the barrier, reaching the ears of the many guards that had gathered around the huge circular tentacle. They were using all their power to break through it, but to no avail. Their grunts of frustration filled the air as Ursula's laughter continued. It was a humorous laugh, one that seemed to mock the guards and their futile attempts to penetrate the barrier. The sound of their weapons clanging against the tentacle only added to their frustration.

The guards were getting desperate. "Hurry, someone bring Prince Eric and King Triton here!" one of them shouted, his voice hoarse from all the yelling. They knew that they needed the help of the prince and the king if they were going to break through the barrier and defeat Ursula. The sound of their weapons clanging against the tentacle was starting to sound like a hopeless symphony.

A guard snapped a crisp salute before turning on his heel and scurrying off into the brutal storm. His shoes slapped against the hard pavement, the sound of his footsteps drowned out by the howling wind. His breath was ragged and uneven as he ran towards the castle grounds, his eyes squinted against the driving rain. He surged through the golden gates, the cold metal biting into his skin, and slammed into the double doors of the castle. The sound of the doors opening echoed through the halls as he raced towards the throne room, desperate to deliver his message to Prince Eric and King Triton.

The guard rushed through the quarter that had many paintings and pictures. The walls were adorned with vibrant colors and intricate designs that seemed to come alive in the flickering candlelight. Turning the corner, the guard saw Prince Eric tending to a silent weeping Ariel at the huge table. The table was made of the finest wood, polished to a high shine, and littered with maps and papers. The prince's face was creased with worry as he tried to comfort Ariel.

Ariel's dark red hair was devilishly tousled, the strands sticking to her tear-streaked face. Her pale cheeks were bright pink from crying, and her lips were quivering with emotion. Her blue eyes were bloodshot, the endless tears leaving them swollen and puffy. 

King Triton was nowhere in sight, leaving the guard to deliver his message to Prince Eric alone

The guard coughed, gaining the attention of Prince Eric. The sound of his cough echoed through the room, breaking the heavy silence. "Permission to speak to Your Royal Highness?" The guard asked urgently, his voice thick with emotion. Eric nodded, signaling him to continue. The guard's eyes were filled with desperation as he spoke. "We're having some trouble capturing Ursula, sir, and she has seemed to catch a villager, keeping him hostage in the barrier she created." 

The guard crouched down on one knee, his head bowed in respect. The room was quiet. The guard's plea for help hung in the air, the urgency of his words palpable. "We need your help, Your Highness," he said, his voice barely above a whisper.

"You may stand, Arrington," Eric's deep voice carried out, making the guard named Arrington rise to his feet. The room was filled with an air of tension as Eric questioned him. "Where is Ursula located, and is the villager okay?" His voice was firm, but there was a hint of concern in his eyes. 

Eric stood up from his seat, ready to tend to the matter at hand, but a tug on his sleeve pulled him back. Ariel stood up too, her quivering hand gripping his sleeve harshly. Her blue eyes were filled with tears as she shook her head in a plea, telling him not to go. The room was silent except for the sound of Ariel's labored breathing and the soft rustle of her dress as she clung to Eric's arm.

"Ariel, I'll be back before you know it." Eric gently removed her hand from his shirt, giving her smaller hands a reassuring squeeze as he kissed her forehead. The room was filled with the sound of their breathing, the tension palpable. "I promise." His voice was soft, but his eyes were determined as he looked at her.

Ariel's blue eyes were filled with tears as she watched him go with Arrington leading the way. The room was quiet except for the sound of Eric's footsteps as he walked out of the door. The weight of the situation hung heavily on her shoulders, and she couldn't help but worry about Eric's safety.

Eric followed quickly after Arrington, his sword ready for battle. The sound of his boots echoed through the rain-soaked streets as he ran, his heart pounding in his chest. "Have you seen King Triton?" he shouted over the rain, his voice barely audible. "He left the palace earlier on, saying that he'd find Ursula." 

The rain was coming down in sheets, soaking Eric's clothes and making it hard to see. The sound of the rain drowned out most of the noise, but the sound of their footsteps was still audible. Eric's sword was heavy in his hand, and he could feel his heart racing as they ran. He had to find Ursula before it was too late.

Arrington shook his head, raindrops falling from his hair as he did. "I've seen no sign of him," he shouted back, his voice barely audible over the sound of the rain. He ushered Eric to where he last saw Ursula, his eyes scanning the area for any signs of danger. 

As they turned the corner, Eric let out a sharp exhale. The scene before him caught him in shock. The rain was coming down harder now, making it difficult to see. But even through the rain, he could see that Ursula had transformed back into her natural state. Her upper body still resembled somewhat of a human, but her bottom part was something otherworldly. Eight huge appendages took the form of her arms and legs, slimy tentacles swiping the alleyway. The smell of blood and rain mixed together, filling Eric's nostrils. 

The guards who were there were now dead or unconscious, their blood spilled everywhere. Eric's heart raced as he realized that Ursula was more powerful than he had ever imagined. He could hear the sound of her tentacles slapping against the pavement, the raindrops hitting the ground adding to the eerie atmosphere. Eric knew that he had to act fast if he wanted to survive.

Eric's eyes darted around the alleyway, searching for any sign of King Triton. The rain continued to fall, making it difficult to see. "Sh*t!" he exclaimed, his voice barely audible over the sound of the rain. "Where's King Triton? We need him in order to defeat her."

Eric knew that King Triton was the only one who could defeat Ursula. He had heard stories of King Triton's power, and he knew that he was the only one who could stop Ursula's reign of terror. But as he looked around the alleyway, he saw no sign of the powerful king. 

"Go find Triton, and bring him here, Arrington," Eric said, his voice firm and determined. "I'll hold her off." 

Arrington hesitated for a moment, but then nodded. "Be careful," he said, before turning and sprinting out of the alleyway. Eric watched him go, before turning his attention back to Ursula. 

The rain continued to fall, making it difficult to see. Eric could feel the water soaking through his clothes, making him shiver. But he couldn't let that distract him. Ursula was still there, her slimy tentacles swiping at him. Eric dodged them as best he could, his heart racing with fear. 

He knew that he had to hold Ursula off until Arrington returned with King Triton. Eric took a deep breath, and then charged at Ursula, his sword held high.

"Well, well, well, if it isn't my ex-fiancé," Ursula seethed, her voice dripping with venom. Eric could feel his stomach turn as he faced the monster before him. "How is that little redhead doing now that she can't speak?" Ursula laughed, swiping a tentacle towards Eric, which he quickly swiped with his sword.

Eric gritted his teeth, fury burning inside him. He knew that Ursula was trying to get under his skin, but he refused to let her. "You'll pay for what you've done," he growled, lunging forward with his sword. Ursula dodged his attack with ease, her tentacles swiping at him once again. Eric barely managed to dodge them, his heart pounding with fear. 

He knew that he couldn't let Ursula get the best of him. He had to keep fighting, no matter what. Eric took a deep breath, and then charged at Ursula once again.