Together At Last | Teen Ink

Together At Last

By jocelynquiroz, San Diego, California
jocelynquiroz, San Diego, California

everything happens for a reason.

Author's note: What inspired me to write this novel is when I took some time to think back to when slaves were around. they were often taken from their families at such an early age. I want people to realize how much the world has changed over time. There wasn't always freedom and happiness.

Carlo lay there in the cold floor with an old blanket that had holes everywhere he couldn’t move, because if he did, he would grow even more cold. His cheeks were always cold and so were his hands, he always tried to keep them close to him but he would get uncomfortable and stretch them out. He didn’t know what it felt like to be in a warm bed, with pillows and softness everywhere around him or didn’t know what it was like to spread your legs out in your bed and still be comfortable, only the cold floor that he wrapped himself in a tight ball. He was a very quiet boy with a wild imagination that thought of every little outcome of things. Carlo was a very shy boy, scared of what could happen to him. He was only ten but he was mature as a grown adult. The only place he knew was the farm he had lived in for all his life, the place where his freedom wasn’t respected and where he considered “happiness."

Ray once told him, “Happiness is how you feel when you love your life.”

“I am happy person,” he reminded himself constantly.

Carlo didn’t mind being bossed around all day, or being mistreated, to him that was the definition of happiness.

He shared a room with his friend, Ray. Since he was so little he had to be watched after someone, so Ray took charge. All the workers cared for him. In their room, it was very dull. The walls were white before but now they were so dirty, it seemed like it was black mixed with gray. They had a small window, that you could only peek half your head through, their small room felt so tight. They slept next to each other to keep warmth, they had only five blankets for both, and no pillows. There bed was cardboard boxes, they had a small stove that only helped one pan at a time, and two of every basic silverware. Ray felt so pressured because he had to look after Carlo, anything he did fell on Ray. He made sure to educate him well, and teach him the right ways of life. At times Ray would get mad and be mean to Carlo because he had to provide food and clothes for him, but he couldn’t. With the few money he earned was barely enough to survive. Ray was a big mess, but he had to grow up and take care of Carlo because even though everyone in the farm cared for him, he was the only one with enough time to be with Carlo. One day Carlo woke up in the middle of the night and went out to look at the stars, he was to small to know that when he wanted to get back the door would make a loud noise which would wake the boss up. He stared at the beautiful moon and admired every single thing of the sky, but when he noticed he was getting cold he decided to head back

As soon as he opened the door, a loud noise took place. The door was old and falling apart, so one small thing made a big affect.

“What in the world are you doing up?!” Lin screamed.

“He had to use the restroom,” Ray said half asleep.

“Ray, you’re in charge of this boy, do a better job!” he said.

“No, I’m getting some sleep. Go away,” said Ray.

That night Ray got the worst whipping of his life. Every time he remembered that, a deep anger grew inside of him.

CHAPTER TWO

He always awoke at 5 am to feed the chickens before Lin came in screaming. Carlo loved the chickens, he would be with them any time he had a chance. There were his friends. He would throw some food for them on the floor, and they would all fight for it as if they were told there was no more, a lot of screaming took place and a lot of chickens would get mad and take off. Then after, he would fetch some food from the kitchen.

“Son, you came in a lil’ late today,” Bertha said.

Bertha had been the cook for as long as he had been there.

“Yes, I was talking to my friends about my happiness,” he said enthusiastically .

“Oh really? and what’s happiness to you?” she responded.

“Happiness is what makes you love your life, it’s what I’m living right now, It’s what I am!”

“Oh Carlo, Who told you what this word means?” Bertha responded.

“Ray did, Ray is teaching me how to read and write. When he has time he’s even teaching me to speak Spanish!” he said .

Bertha looked at him and gave him a smile, and walked away towards the dining table with plates filled with delicious rich food, that only Lin could eat. Lin was the boss. He wanted everything done for him when he desired. He had been a drug dealer for almost 30 years now and couldn’t stay in a place for too long before they began to look for him. He dressed in good clothes, with his cowboy boots always on, every time you saw him he had a cigar in his hand. Just by the sound of his voice, people were frightened. It was very deep. Lin thought he educated his slaves by whipping them when they did wrong. Lin usually let his facial hair grow, so when he talked you couldn't really see his teeth. He was old as an old man, but looked like a youngster. Carlo couldn’t eat that food, no one could because if he found out, he would whip them.

Only one day he could eat that delicious food. Bertha had told him it was the day he was born is called his birthday. Every birthday Bertha sneaks food out for him to enjoy.

“Is it almost that time of the year Bertha?” he asked .

“No son, you have a long way to go,” she admitted.

“Carlo! Get your butt out of the kitchen before something happens,” Lin warned.

Lin didn’t want Carlo in there because he thought he was trouble. When in reality Carlo was the sweetest boy ever.

Carlo ran along and went back to his room. He got his mother's picture out. He loved looking at his moms picture, and imagining where she was and when they would meet. The words from Ray were carved in his head, “Carlo, you were taken from your mother a long time ago and you will most likely never see her again.” Those words were in his mind all day, every day. He didn’t know what a mom was, he didn’t know how it felt like, he just knew she was the reason he’s alive.

By now, it was noon and it was time to check on the chickens, it was his duty to take care of the chickens. If anything happened to them, he would be threatened by Lin, of course.

He walked toward the chicken hen and saw that one was leaving towards the back gate. Carlo knew he wasn’t allowed to go past that gate because there was something dangerous but he couldn’t let the chicken just leave so he went after it. He wasn’t sure where it was going to but each time he tried to walk faster the chicken would run even more faster. Carlo lost track of it. He stopped chasing it after forgetting which direction the chicken went even though it was a little late now because he had already passed the gate, and he didn’t know the way back.

It was getting darker and Carlo knew he had to go back before Lin found out he had passed the gate .

DON’T PASS THAT GATE, EVER! Lin once warned him, but right now he was more worried about finding the chicken. Those chickens meant a lot to him. When he was all alone they were the only ones who were there.

Carlo sat by a tree and stared at the moon.
“Wow, what a beautiful moon,” He whispered to himself. He wasn’t so sure if it was a safe place to be so he was trying to be as quiet as possible.

After sitting for a couple minutes he had finally decided to let it go forever.

“Oh friend, I wanted to take you back with me but I guess you’re not,” Carlo sighed.

He didn’t know what way to return home, he thought about just leaving far into the mountains, but then remembered about his friends and his mother's picture. He walked following the light he could see far away until he met up in the back of the farm.

Carlo peeked his head in the window of the kitchen, he saw Bertha washing dishes.

“Bertha!” He hissed.

“Carlo, where have you been all day? Lin is mad as darn’ boy,” Bertha screeched.

Carlo stayed quiet for a second and said, “My chicken left and I can’t find it,” he said.

“You have many more chickens, It doesn’t matter, now how we gon’ get you in here?” She wondered .

“I’m going in through this window, help me,” he mumbled.

“If the boss comes in, we’re both in so much trouble boy, you gon’ be in for a whippin’,” She reminded him.

Carlo tried to ignore what she said and put one foot on the window, Bertha gave him her hand and he jumped up. Right about when he got in, he stumbled over and fell right into the kitchen floor, by then he had made a big noise which most likely awoke Lin and the rest up. It was so quiet, even a little mumble could be heard.

“Carlo, get up quickly! Go to your room before he comes!” She warned him.

It was too late, Lin came in and saw him there, on the floor.

“Boy, where you been all day? Who let you leave? Talk to me,” He yelled.

“I .. I went to look ... look for the chicken that ran away,” He said nervously.

“You lost a chicken? I told you to take care of my chickens and you tell me you lost one? You’re losing me money boy! Now you gon’ work extra. Come with me,” He demanded. Lin continued, “... And to you Bertha. I thought you were a loyal person but as I can see now, you ain’t s***.”

“Sir.. I didn’t do anything, I was just trynna help the boy out,” Bertha complained.

“I didn’t tell you to help him, so you don’t do anything without my permission, are you understood? Or do I need to explain this to you with rocks?”

“No sir,” She said quietly.

As Lin exited out the door, Carlo followed. They went into the chicken hen and he counted the chickens. It was now past midnight, and they were still up.

“Collect the eggs,” He said .

“But Lin, It’s past midnight, Can I go to bed?” He said softly.

“NO, collect the darn eggs,” he interrupted. “I told you not to go past that gate, and you did! You know better. Quit acting like a immature little boy, you know what you did was wrong,” He continued as he watched Carlo pick up the eggs.

Carlo stayed quiet. When he finished collecting the eggs it was almost two in the morning, He then finished, and handed him the eggs. Carlo walked out without letting him say anything. It was so dark outside, but it didn’t matter to him because he already knew the way. He thought about why the chicken would want to leave, he never did anything to it. When he got to his room, Ray had a candle lit and was sitting there.

“Where have you been?” He questioned Carlo.

“I went to go find my chicken,” he muttered.

“You know you’re not supposed to leave anywhere. You know the consequences, You know you have plenty of chickens, so don’t ever leave again,” He said in a demanding voice.

“You don’t understand, that’s my friend, I don’t know why it would want to leave. I’m sorry, I’ll go to bed now.”

As he lay in the cold floor, he couldn’t fall asleep, his eyes were wide open. He kept thinking about his mom, “One day I will find you,” He thought to himself.

There wasn’t much he could do, I mean he’s only ten years old. His mother’s picture was mistreated and now it was all scratched and half ripped. Carlo promised himself before his only picture rips completely, they would be together. It was a very long night for him, his head was filled with emotions, he didn’t want to see Lin again because he knew he would be whipped for crossing the gate. After a while, he fell asleep but only for a little.

“Wake up Carlo,” Ray whispered.

Carlo opened one eye, and saw Ray starring at him, “What?” he mumbled.

“This is the only free time I have, and you need to learn things that are important in life, remember?” Ray explained.

Carlo knew his responsibility was to get up and pay attention because if it wasn’t for Ray, he wouldn’t know the little knowledge he knows now.

“Look, I wrote these notes in paper, Last time I taught you we left on in Spanish, right?”

“Yes,” Carlo replied.

“OK, so tell me how do you say Good Morning?” Ray asked.

“Buenos dias,” he said with an unsure face.

“Bien, ahora dime como te fue ayer?”

Carlo wasn’t so sure how to respond to that so he spoke spanglish, “It was bien, I fui por mi chicken,” he said.

Carlo was mexican, but had been raised as any regular white boy. So his spanish was very difficult for him, but he loved learning. As they kept practicing, Carlo could hear footsteps coming towards them .

“Hurry, hide the notebook!” Carlo said nervously.

Lin walked in.

“Boy, didn’t I tell you to go to sleep? Do you think not sleeping and doing whatever you want is fine?” He roared.

“Lin, I was sleeping but then I was cold and couldn’t go back to sleep no more,” He said in a very soft voice.
“Lin, the boy is only ten years old, he needs a blanket, a pillow and a bed. I’m old I can manage to survive, but not Carlo. He’s little and fragile,” Ray interrupted.

“I know what is necessary and what isn’t, the boy is fine,” He said.

Ray didn’t bother to respond. He knew one way or another he would find Carlo a blanket.

Winter was coming, and there was no way Carlo would still be alive if he didn’t get a blanket by then.

Carlo put on his old ripped shoes, and went to feed the chickens and to see if they had laid any eggs to be eaten at breakfast. Carlo could only eat eggs and sometimes milk, if not only water. To his surprise, the chickens had laid a dozen eggs. He felt so happy, now that his favorite chicken was most likely dead he knew everything happens for a reason and maybe that chicken wanted a new owner.

He ran to the kitchen with his shirt full of eggs, “Bertha look!” he said happily.

“My dear, that’s quite more than they usually lay” Bertha said.

“Can you cook them for me please?” He asked.
“Why of course son, go check on the cows to see if there’s leftover milk,” she told him.

When he got to the barn he went straight to his favorite cow, but to his surprise Lin was there.
“What in the hell’ are you doing here?” he said mad.

“I want some milk sir,” Carlo responded .

“This milk is gold, you can’t drink any,” Lin said.

Carlo was crushed. It was going to be his first morning in a long time drinking a glass of milk. He walked back to the kitchen. His eggs were on the table and a big glass of milk right next to his plate.
“Milk?” He asked surprisingly.

“Hurry up and drink it before Lin comes back, don’t ask how I got it, just enjoy son,” She said in a soft tone.

Carlo was thrilled. His mood got so much better after being told he couldn’t have any milk. “Hey Martha, how come Lin said the milk is gold?”

“It is worth a lot of money here in Tahoe, so he preserves it well,” She responded.

Carlo knew with money you could buy stuff but he had never had any so he didn’t know much about bills and coins.

He then finished eating, right about that time Lin walked in, Bertha hided the cup Carlo had drunk the milk in.

“What are you doing in here?” He asked.

“I brought Bertha the eggs the chickens laid, there were so many. I know how to count and I counted ten!” he said happily.

Lin looked like he wanted to say something nice for once, but he just walked away. Lin had been lonely for almost ten years now. His family was killed when one of his enemies was successful in shooting them all. His wife at that time was pregnant with a boy who would now be the same age as Carlo. That is why he had so much anger towards everyone. He was now alone in the world with no one. Why would he want so much money when he has no one to spend it on?

"Go on, take a nap," Lin told Carlo.

Carlo was very tired from last night, so he went to sleep as he was told.

When he got to the room, he saw Ray still lying down.

"Ray why are you laying down?" He asked.

"Today is not my day, I feel sick," Ray responded.

"Do you want me to do something, I can go ask Bertha for some medicine?" He asked quickly.

"No, come here lay down with me,"

"Talk to me Ray, I'm here," Carlo sobbed.

"Are you happy?" He asked.

"Yes, I love my life," Carlo smiled.

"No you don't, you're only a little boy you need to be free and play with other boys your age. You need to be with your mother, eat what you want whenever you want," Ray explained.

"No, I want to be here with you, and Bertha and the chickens too," he said firmly.

"Son, I ain't gon last long, I'm to sick and it's my time to leave this world onto a new one," Ray murmured.

"No Ray, I want you to stay with me, to teach me new things, to lay with me at night," Carlo said tears falling down his face.

"You're going to go through the back gate, there's a tree at the left side way back, you will find a backpack with food and water, I have gave you a map of the world and pointed to where we are at and where you need to be," Ray told him.

"I don't know anything about the world, come with me," Carlo said. "I can't leave Bertha too."

"Take her with you Carlo," said Ray.

As he took his last breaths he told Carlo he loved him like the son he never had, and that he would always be with him. His reason of being sick was because of the weather. It was too cold for him to survive now. There wasn't anything you could do, there was no doctor near by. His death was unexpected and quick.

After a couple hours he past away, and Carlo lay there next to him the whole time.

"Why god, why? You're suppose to be the best man ever why would you take my fried away. RAAAAYYYYYY," he cried loudly.

After sitting there, he started accepting the fact that ray was gone. He struggled to take his body to the chicken hen. There had been a hole dug out by Carlo for whenever he wanted to hide, but now Ray was going to be in that hole. After burying him with the help of Bertha he explained to Bertha what Ray had told him before he passed away.

"I will do it not because I can't manage to live a life like this anymore," she admitted.

It was also perfect timing because Lin was going to be on a trip for a while. So that same night, they headed to the back gate, they had to be silent because there was guards there and they couldn't get caught, it was too much risk that they were taking but in search of freedom they were willing to do it all.

From far away you could see the tree Ray had said the backpack was in, Bertha ran towards it and picked it up.

"WAIT, Bertha I forgot my moms picture. I have to go back," Carlo said worriedly.

"No you can't, you can get caught," Bertha pleaded.

"To bad, it's my picture and I want my picture,” He said .

He headed back and when he saw the first guard he was sure to be quick and slick.

Carlo knew the consequences were major if he got caught but his room was right around the corner and to his timing he would get it in a matter of seconds. Bertha didn't wait for Carlo, she went on, on her own.

He was seen by a guard. All of a sudden you hear, "Hey, stop! I see you!"

He left terrified, but he didn’t look back he kept going.

Carlo ran as fast as he could and said to himself, "Ray please help me."

He got to his room, and finally looked back. The guard seemed to be gone. He quickly went and grabbed the picture, he sat and thought of a way to escape because he was sure the guards would be keeping an eye on the gate.

He thought if he went through the right side of the farm, he would come out exactly where the free was, just that he would have to jump the fence. He didn't care at that point.

With Ray and Bertha gone he just wanted to leave. He walked out silently and headed towards the gate. It was about 6 feet tall. He sure had to find a way to climb that fence and fast. Sunlight was starting to rise and he had to be gone before the light arose completely. He put one foot on the fence and reached his hand out to hang on, but he fell back, it hurt him. He tried again and again until he finally got it. He was at the top and could see the chickens from there. He got sad and thought about going back but he then quickly changed his mind and jumped off without thinking.

When he was finally at the other side he was so happy. He walked up the mountains. He had not slept at all , and was wearing out. He continued on though. He had to find Bertha, only god knew where she could've been by now. He was in South Lake Tahoe and needed to get to Virginia city before winter hit.

Hours had passed and he needed to rest, the sun was out and it was pretty warm.

Carlo had no water or food with him, since Bertha took the backpack. He saw a river far away and thought about how thirsty he was, but also of how tired he was. He had to choose to either rest or go on and fetch some water. Carlo thought to himself, and thought water was most important than resting because he didn’t know where else he would find water. He got up and walked down the mountain with carefulness because he could easily slip and get hurt.

He was going the steep mountain and lost control of his speed, he was going faster and faster. He was getting dizzy and needed to stop but he didn’t know how. He stumbled over a rock and he passed out.

About a half hour later he awoke and when he opened his eyes, he was next to a tree and the river was right there in front of him. He didn’t know how he got there but he was thankful. He knew that was god who helped him. “Thank you god, you are my life saver,” he told himself.

He got up and didn’t feel tired now, he was happy. He was going to be able to have water and be full of energy. Even though food would have better. He walked about 2 feet when he saw the backpack Ray had given him and Bertha. He didn’t know what to think.

Maybe Bertha was getting water too, or maybe she simply just forgot it. He picked up the backpack and looked inside. He saw three big loaves of bread and a water bottle. He quickly opened it and walked toward the river to fill it up. He felt the need to turn back, and when he did he saw Bertha laying on the side of a bush.

“Bertha?” He asked himself.

“What are you doing? We have to go! Lin might be looking for us now,” he tried explaining to her as he shook her from side to side.

Carlo noticed she seemed pale, and didn’t seem to react to what he was trying to tell her. He remembered how Ray looked when he had died, and admitted to himself the truth was she was probably never going to open her eyes again, she was dead. He didn’t know why or how.
“Bertha why would you leave me like this?” He sobbed. “If you would’ve stayed with me none of this would’ve happened,” he continued.

He let her down, grabbed the backpack and walked away wiping his tears off his face, he knew it wasn’t a safe place to be and when Lin found Bertha’s body he would assume Carlo was dead too, but he wasn’t sure. Lin was a smart person, not easy to fool. So he continued, he was broken. His two friends had left. He thought everyone was trying to leave him, first the chicken, then Ray and now Bertha.

“Could anything else happen to me?” he yelled.

It was past noon by now and he was getting hungry. He found a cave and went inside. He were to stay there that night to continue his walk the following day. When he sat, he fell a sense of relief, but all that was in his mind, was Ray and Bertha. He took out his mother's picture and said, “Mom, are you going to leave me too?”

He looked out and saw the beautiful view, there was a lot of green trees, and it was just simply beautiful. He tried not thinking about his past away friends because he needed to plan what he was going to do the next morning. He remembered Ray had told him about a map he had put in there, he went and got it and stared at it for a couple minutes without saying anything. He didn’t know the world was that big, but he needed to walk fast to get to Virginia city before winter hit because when he took his finger and put it on the map, he felt a sense of weariness, that he wasn’t going to be able to survive. He thought if he walked all day, and rested for a couple hours every day he would be there on time.

It was getting dark by now, he took a piece of bread out and ate it. He only had eaten bread once in a while at the farm but this time to him it tasted amazing. He didn’t want to eat to much, only as little for him to be able to survive. Ray had also put in a blanket and a coat in the backpack. Ray knew since before he told Carlo to leave, he would need some sort of warmth to survive. He lay the blanket on the floor and put the coat on. He were to only use it at night or when the weather conditions were too low.

“Thank you god for this day, I am sad you took my friend Bertha away from me but thank you for letting me stay in this cave tonight,” he prayed with his hands folded.

He remembered Ray had always told him praying aloud is what god liked because if you pray in silence he wouldn’t be able to hear you.

He awoke way earlier than he expected. He opened his eyes and saw no sunlight, it was still dark. He didn’t know what time it was because he only knew how to read digital ones, and in those days they were worth a lot of money. So he had to predict the time as he always had. Carlo felt warmth in his body for the first time, he was covered in a coat with no holes. He didn’t want to get up, but he knew he had to start leaving. Carlo stood up folded the blanket and neatly put it inside the backpack so the bread wouldn’t get crushed.

He had to wait for a some sort of sunlight to arouse to be able to look at his map, but he thought to himself, what if Lin is looking for me? What if he’s near to finding me? So he took off without knowing where he was going.

As he was walking he was careful in not stepping on any rocks or anything that could destroy his old shoes. That was all he had. He felt tired, he didn’t know why. That was the longest he had ever slept in a while.

By now, there was a little bit of sunlight. He sat down under a tree, and took his map out. He observed and saw that he was not far from Virginia City. If he would’ve got rides from the cars passing in the road he would’ve been there by now, but he was afraid of the outside humans. What if they were sent by Lin to find him and return him?

“I will never go back, I want to see my mom,” he thought out loud.

To him the day was going by too fast, and he had not traveled as much as he would have liked.

I mean he’s a ten year old boy trying to travel through the mountains right about winter time, just to find his mother. He had to get to Virginia City in less than two weeks, if not then he would basically freeze to death.

It was past noon and he had only walked about two miles. He was confused and scared, which is why he couldn’t think straight. Carlo sat again. He felt so tired, maybe he was getting sick. He took a piece of bread out and ate it slowly. Carlo still had water from his previous stop, he drank it and finished it. He needed to find somewhere he could get more water and possibly take a bath. In the farm, he only took a shower once every two weeks when the townspeople opened the water basin. He decided that was enough walking for that day, because if he didn’t he would get even more tired. He never knew what it felt like to be really sick. He didn’t know what could be the cause of this sickness he was getting.

He lay in the tree he was at and closed his eyes. He wasn’t scared of any animals that could possibly hurt him. He thought they were his friends and friends don’t hurt friends because they care for you.

He felt a sense of relief when he closed his eyes, because he was so tired. Carlo fell asleep, and had a dream about the chickens, in his dream he saw his chickens being really hungry and trying to leave. He quickly opened his eyes.

“My chickens!” he yelled.

He didn’t want anything them to be hurt ,or to die of hunger. Carlo argued with himself about going back but he decided not to because he thought finding his mother was more important. He didn’t really get enough sleep but he had to move on.

Carlo needed to continue his journey but needed to take a bath. He walked and walked, until he came upon a lake, he could take a bath there, but with no soap. He took his clothes off and he went in. It was cold, but it was too late to get out so he just stayed in the water until he didn’t see any more dirt on him. He couldn’t see his face, he only had seen his face once in a while when Bertha sent him to her room to get something. He thought of Bertha’s mirror. He got sad, he didn't have anything to dry himself with so he just got out and stood there waiting for the water to stop dripping off of his body. His clothes weren’t clean but he didn’t have nothing to wash them with. In the farm, Bertha once in a while washed his clothes but the last time she washed his clothes was a long time ago, he still put on his dirty clothes anyways, picked up his backpack and started walking. He noticed his hair was getting long, he could almost see it when he looked to the sides. Carlo felt like a girl at times. He thought only girls could have long hair, like Bertha. He promised himself when he had a job and had money he would get a haircut. He tried thinking about stuff that would make him happy but the only thing he knew was the farm. To Carlo that was happiness.

All of sudden he heard a gunshot. Carlo knew that guns killed people so he got scared right away. He didn’t know what to do, he didn’t know if he should move, if he moved he could get noticed but if he didn’t move they would just come and shoot him. He saw a big bush and ran to it. He heard the deep voices of two men, they seemed mad.

“We have to find him,” one said furiously.

“God knows where that boy is by now!” the other man argued.

“You know what the boss will do,” the man replied, as Carlo listened to the conversation. Carlo had always been good at staying quiet, since he always spied on Lin while in the farm. Carlo knew they must be talking about him. Should he just give himself in?

The men seemed to be resting, who knows since when they had been looking for him. Another gun shot was shot, had they aimed for Carlo? No, they saw something far away and ran after it. Carlo had to move quickly. He ran as fast as he could and tried finding a self shelter. He was disappointed in himself because he wouldn’t travel no more, he was just wasting time. Carlo thought if instead of him resting he would’ve been farther but he was sick. He felt a little better to walk but he had really bad headaches. He didn’t have any medicine, only bread. Bread wasn’t a cure for this. He needed a doctor, some sort of help but who would ever find him in deep in the mountains?

As the days went by the weather conditions were getting colder and colder. Carlo decided with himself he were to stay in the bush for the rest of the day and during the night he was to walk. He wasn’t so far from a small town because when the sun went in, he could see lights far away. It was beautiful to him. In the farm there wasn’t really any light. He was anxious to see the people and just to find out what it looked like. He was so happy at that moment he forgot about his sickness.

“When I see those lights I will be so happy,” He sang.

Carlo had heard music before because Lin would always play it, it was beautiful. Like magic to his ears.

As he walked towards the lights, he would get happier and more excited. Sunlight was starting to rise, Carlo had walked all night and needed to find a place to sleep. He could see the small town right in front of him, but knew it would be dangerous to go during the day. He found a small place to stay, in a plain piece of land with nothing, only a beautiful view where you could see the ocean. He then laid down, and stared at it. He didn’t get tired, as hours went by he eventually fell asleep until he heard music. His eyes popped open. It was beautiful music. Music he wanted to dance too, even though he didn’t know how to dance. He knew people were happy when they were dancing because they always had big smiles on their faces. Ray once promised him to show him how to dance when he had ever had free time but it was a little too late now.

Now it was about noon, he still had one loaf of bread left. He took it out, and ate all of it, when he finished it he realized he wasn’t suppose to have finished it, he was to save it for only when he really needed to eat. Now, he had to find a job to get some coins to buy more bread and hopefully a brush and if he was lucky, a bar of soap. He wasn’t very clean because he had only taken a shower without soap once since he left the farm. He had managed to survive all this short way that seemed long, and really it was long, it took him about 28 days to travel when if he wouldn’t have wasted so much time in resting, taking a shower or hiding he would’ve been safe by now. Carlo didn’t know what to do with all this extra time he had, he was used to always being in a hurry, only of course when he looked at his moms picture time went by fast. He pulled out her picture and stared at it. His mom was beautiful to him. He smiled at her and pulled the picture against his chest.

“One day when I find you, we will be happy and we will never be apart anymore,” he said to the picture. Carlo wasn’t really sure how he got that picture of her, one day Ray just gave it to him.

Carlo all of a sudden felt tired, his eyes got heavy and he closed his eyes. He felt like vomiting and just didn’t know why that happened from one second to another. Carlo fell asleep and had a dream.

“My son, I am your father. Your mother is not healthy, she needs your help,” a voice told him.

“My father?” Carlo questioned.

“Yes, I am your father. I am with god but he has given me permission to explain to you where your mother is,” He explained.

“Where is my mother!?” Carlo yelled.

“When you pass this small town there will be a road that never has an ending, you cross that road into the terrain where it’s filled with fields of corn. You will walk until you see a big tree at the end of the sowing. There’s a sign that reads El Ranchito you will walk there and ask for Julia Reyes, she is your mother,” the voice said in a very calm tone.

Carlo opened his eyes.

“No, no!” he said.
“Sir come back,” Carlo begged.

He wanted his dream to continue but that could not happen. He had to rethink what his dream told him and make a decision.

Carlo didn’t know if he should believe the voice inside his head. How was he so sure he was with god? Or his mothers name, or who he even was? Maybe the man was his father. Carlo thought what could happen, the good and the bad.

The sun was starting to go down, and he had to make choose whether to find his mother somewhere else or to listen to the man. He didn’t know it would be that difficult to choose but apparently it was.

Carlo once again got up, put his backpack on and walked. There was a steep hill but once he walked down it he would have arrived at the town. Carlo took a look down the hill and told himself

“You only live once,” and ran down.

He was going really fast and decided not to try and stop until he got to the bottom.

There wasn’t anything he could trip on, or that he at least knew of. As he got closer to the bottom, he tried stopping but he couldn’t. When he finally did reach the bottom his backpack was his lifesaver because for some reason he slipped and landed on his back, or backpack ha ha.

Carlo stood up as if nothing happened. He took a look over the building and saw people walking with bags and baskets on their head. Kids were playing and seemed happy. There was places where they sold food and other stuff. He wanted to just go and join them but he couldn’t. No one would have known who he is and started questioning him.

David was a honest young boy who was timid and people who asked to many questions frightened him. Like Lin. He had forgotten about him, maybe so did Lin. He tried not thinking about him.

“The beginning of a new life,” he thought out loud.

The kids who were playing, kicked the ball too far and it was headed towards Carlo. He didn’t know whether he should hide or just stand still and smile or maybe the little boy just wouldn’t notice him. He took a risk and just stayed there.

The little boy ran past him and picked up the ball and started walking back.

“What are you doing?” the little boy asked innocently.

“Nothing, I.. I just got here,” Carlo responded nervously.

“Come play with us, we’re nice I promise,” said the little boy.

Carlo didn’t want to say no, so he went along. When he got there the lights above them were beautiful to him, he had never seen so much sunlight or happiness.

“We’re playing passes,” one little boy said.

“Do you know what that is?” another boy asked Carlo.

“No, I’ve never played a game before,” Carlo said shyly.

“We will teach you, I will pass you the ball when I kick it, then you kick it to whoever you want,” said the third boy.

“Sounds easy,” Carlo said smiling.

He didn’t so bad for his first time. The boys didn’t seem to wonder who he was or what he was doing there. Carlo got carried away and remembered he had to keep walking.

“Thank you for letting me play but I must go now,” he said.

“Why? Don’t you live here?” they asked.

“No, I’m looking for my mom,” he explained.

“Oh, you don’t know your mom?” one kid asked.

“I will soon,” Carlo answered.

He didn’t wait for a response, he walked away. He didn’t know if what he did was rude or ungrateful but he had a big smile on his face for being to play with someone his own age.

As Carlo walked through the streets, he saw something shining on the floor, what could it be? He quickly walked over it and picked it up. To what Ray had once described to him, it seemed to be a coin. He got so happy. The bakery was right in front of him and he decided to use it to buy bread, well if he had enough. As he crossed the street he could smell the delicious bread which to him sounded wonderful right then. He entered the bakery and the owner quickly greeted him.

“Goodnight to you son, How may I serve you?” He asked nicely.

“Hi, I found a coin but I don’t know how much it’s worth,” Carlo explained.

“Show me your coin,” the man said.

Carlo took his coin out and handed it to him, he wasn’t sure if he was a person to trust, if he would lie about the value but he had no choice.

“Ahhh, this is worth 10 pieces of bread,” the man said happily.

“May I please have 10 pieces of bread?” he said.

“You gon’ need all that bread son?” the man asked worryingly.

“I’m on a journey, I need food while on the way,” Carlo murmured.

“A journey? Sounds interesting!”

The man walked back to his oven, and got loaf after loaf and put it in a bag. When he finished he added an extra one and smiled.

“Here you go,” he said as he handed Carlo the bag.

“Thank you sir.”

Carlo turned around and exited out the door.

On his way out of the small town, he thought about the coin he found. Who must’ve dropped it?

“Thank you god for giving me bread, I will one day repay you,” Carlo promised.

He was happy. He got to play with the boys, got food and now was on his way to find his mother.

It was now past midnight and he could see the road far away. As he walked through the sidewalks, he saw houses and people inside of them, in some houses he could hear their conversations and laughter, he got sad but he cheered himself up because he knew he his life would be complete soon. He had walked since the sun went down. He thought being in the dark was safer than daylight, in his mind you had a less chance of getting caught.

He wasn’t so sure if Lin was still looking for him or not, but he tried not thinking about that. He also knew his friends were up with god guiding him in the right path he should take and it felt right walking down that sidewalk.

It seemed as much as he walked the town never ended, house after house but he knew each time he took a step he was closer to his mother.

Carlo finally reached the road. When he took a look he didn’t see any cars, he thought that was odd. Carlo wasn’t so sure if it was safe for him to cross, it was pretty wide and maybe when he crossed a car could just come and hit him. Carlo thought if being risky was appropriate in this case.

He closed his eyes and said, “Ray, what do I do?”

After a few moments, and still no answer he opened his eyes.

He was mad.

“Ray, why won’t you help me?” he yelled.

He took his chances and crossed. Half way through the road he saw a truck coming.

“I knew I shouldn’t have crossed!” he shouted furiously.

He walked faster, but it didn’t seem he was getting closer to the other side. He began to ran, the truck was right in front of his way, and it kept honking for him to move, it couldn’t seem to be able to stop!

He threw himself to the floor and wished for the best. He could hear the truck honking louder and louder begging him to move but there was not enough time to move, he just had to pray about it.

The truck past right on top of him, it was sure a darn miracle that saved Carlo.

When the truck passed, Carlo lay there in the middle of the road. Not a single noise was to be heard, only the strong wind. He was scared to get up but he knew he needed to go fast. He quickly got up and ran.

He made it safely.

Carlo sat down and admired the fields of corn. There was thousands of rows and it seemed to never end. He wondered how people collected all of them.

He walked through them but he never seemed to advance. Carlo wasn’t scared of any animals but he saw a snake that looked vicious.

“My friend, where are you?” he told the snake.

The snake obviously didn’t respond, but with a hiss it said it all. Carlo began to ran again. He needed to get his shoes out of his backpack and put them on, now it was really necessary to have them. He managed to stop and put them on. He had trouble putting his backpack on but he finally put it.

Carlo thought about his bread, it was getting crushed!

He flashed back to everything that the voice had told him. He had now stopped running. Sunlight was starting to rise and he needed to stop and take a break.

“Hey there’s the tree!” he said excitingly.

Now more than ever he didn’t want to stop until he got to the tree. You could now hear birds chirping and roosters too. He never took his eyes off the tree for if he did, he would get lost.

After a good hour of walking, Carlo let out a sigh and finally sat down at the tree.

It was the tree the voice had told him. He decided to just take a nap and he would figure out his next step when he awoke. He had another dream. Where he saw himself being followed by someone or something and he couldn’t figure out where it was, he would look back but nothing would be there, only empty streets. He then awoke frightened and sweating.

“No, I can’t go back to the farm,” Carlo said. “NOOO!”

He quickly got up and started walking. He wasn’t sure where he should go too but he said, “I’m going to close my eyes, and when I open them wherever the first rock I see is facing I will walk that way.”

He closed his eyes, spun a few times and opened them. The first rock he saw was facing left. The way that seemed scary because of the big long branches that were fallen to the floor, he still walked forward, he had to keep his word, maybe his mom was that way. He walked in a slow pace not knowing what could happen next. He got to the long branch that was in his way of passing so he had to climb over it. He threw his backpack to the other side of the fallen branch and up he went. He was scared of jumping down because there was a lot of little branches he could get hurt on, he didn’t have any medication so he had to avoid getting hurt.

He managed to get over the branch, after praying Ray for help. He wasn’t so sure if Ray helped him or if it was just luck. When he put his backpack on and looked to where he was headed up next, he saw a sign on the top that read El Ranchito just how his dream had told him! He got a smile in his face. He wasn’t so sure where to go, but decided to ask for Julia Reyes, just as how he remembered the voice.

Carlo wasn’t so sure where to ask for Julia but would find a way. He had to find her.

Carlo was starting to get hungry, he got some bread out , he walked and ate.

There was a man coming his way.

He had a lot of stuff running through his mind all at the same time. Was he supposed to talk Spanish or English? This is where Ray’s teachings became useful, Carlo hadn’t been fluent in Spanish but thanks to Ray he somewhat spoke it.

“Good Morning,” he told the man nervously.

“Gud Morni,” the man said.

“Spanish?” Carlo asked.

“Si,” the man replied.

“Yo soy Carlo y estoy buscando mi mama,” Carlo explained.

“Oh mijo, quien es tu mamá?” he asked.

“Her name is Julia Reyes,” Carlo answered instantly.

“Ohhhh, Julia...JULIA! Ella vive hasta el otro lado del rancho.,” the man said as he pointed to where he was supposed to walk.

“Gracias,” he replied.

Carlo was relieved his mom was in this ranch, he took her picture out and pressed it hard against his chest. With his clothes all dirty, ripped and old he walked through the morning streets.

Women were out with their grocery bags filled headed to the Mercado or some headed home. As he walked by, women were sweeping the streets, trucks going by selling gas and bread in a truck that yelled, “PANNN, EL PANNNN, COMPREN SU PAN.”

It was so early in the morning and people were already up.

“I can get used to this,” said Carlo.

He walked by another street and saw people making line outside a store. He was curious to find out what was happening.

When he got there he saw big machines and round yellow circles going up and down.

Were you suppose to eat those? he asked himself.

He stared at the people with a desperate look, making them know he wanted one.

“Quiere una niño tortilla?” The women asked.

“No tengo dinero señora,” Carlo replied respectfully.

The women handed him one, she rolled it up and as she handed him it, she smiled.

“Thank you,” Carlo replied.

He walked away content, he stared at it for a while, wasn’t quite sure if it was safe enough for him to eat it.

He took a bite not knowing what it could possibly taste like. This was such a complete fully world to him, he was unaware of every little thing he didn't know and he actually liked it. He learned something new in such a little time, tortillas were actually pretty amazing.

This small ranch wasn’t really big.

It was almost noon and he was getting to the last streets. The next person he saw he would ask again for Julia Reyes but this time he would show them the picture. Carlo hadn’t drank water in days, and was getting dehydrated. He went inside a place that read Abarrotes. What could that be? Maybe they had water, who knew.

“Usted conoce a Julia Reyes,” he asked the lady.

“Yo soy Julia,” responded with a weird look on her face.

“I’m Carlo,” he said with a smile on his face.

“Yo no se quien es Carlo,” she said.

“I’m your son,” Carlo replied.

He didn’t feel like forcing himself to keep talking Spanish, maybe she knew English as well.

“My hijo is not Carlo, it’s Santiago and he has passed away many years ago,” she said firmly.

“Santiago?” He said.

“No I was taken away from you when I was a baby, my father has passed away and you didn’t know I existed but I am here now, thanks to my father who has told me in a dream where you were, he told me you’re not healthy and I would like to help you. You see I’m in debt with god, I owe him so many favors,” Carlo explained.

“How old are you?” she asked.

“10,” he said.

She looked away and thought maybe it was possible. She didn’t want to believe him,Carlo had no proof.

“You have no proof,” Julia said.

Carlo took his backpack off, and got his picture of her out, he showed it to her.

“Thats you,” he pointed.

“How did you get this picture?” Julia asked shockingly.

“Ray gave it to me,” he told her.

“Whose Ray?” she asked.

“My friend who was in the farm with me, but he got really sick and passed away,” Carlo said softly.

Julia just stared at Carlo and didn’t say a word.

It was quiet for a while, Carlo just stood there thirsty.

“Me puede dar agua?” Carlo asked.

“Si, agarra,” she insisted.

Carlo smiled and took a water bottle. Carlo didn’t know his mother owned a store with food! He never seen so much food in one place. He wanted to try it but he was just quietly admiring all the different names. He was learning new things and practicing his reading. He had promised Ray he would read and write when he had the chance but he hadn’t had time and now was the perfect time.
Julia served some customers who were buying stuff from her, they took some round orange things. What could it be? He knew you must be able to eat it since it was a food store... he was willing to ask her, but he didn’t want them to think he was weird or something.

“Señora, como se llama eso?” he pointed to the round circle.

“Es una naranja! Ten una,” the old lady said smiling.

Carlo smiled and took it. He wasn’t quite sure how you were suppose to eat it. He took a big bite into it. His face expression changed. He never tasted anything like it before, so he didn’t know what it was suppose to taste like. Julia and the lady laughed at him.

“No mijo, se pela primero. Deja te enseño,” she said, taking it away from him.

She began to peel it, and Carlo seemed amazed. He didn’t know you could do that! A fresh smell started tingling his nose. He couldn’t wait to eat it. When she finished peeling it she handed it back to Carlo.

There was so many little pieces. He thought it was amazing how out of one round thing he could get so many little ones. When he ate one, he liked it. He ate more, one after another after another until there was none left. He would never forget that taste or its name. He reminded himself the name a couple times in his head.

He saw a chair and sat down. He wasn’t sure what was going to happen. Should he just leave? She didn’t seem sick?

Everytime Julia would try and sit to have a talk with him, people would come in asking for things to buy, she was really busy that day. As Carlo just sat there and watching people in and out he got bored.

“Carlo!” His mother said.

“Yes?” he said.

“Pass me four tomatoes please,” she asked him.

Carlo didn’t know what tomatoes were. He had never seen such things in his life. Everything was new to him but he didn’t want to tell her, he didn’t know what they were. He looked around nervously and back at her.

“There behind you, the red ones,” she explained.

“Ahhh, okay,” said Carlo.

He luckily knew how to count, if not he would’ve been even more ashamed of himself.

He handed her the tomatoes and headed back to his chair. The chairs had a piece of cardboard on them. Were you were suppose to sit on them, he didn’t know if he should move it or sit on top of it? He just stood there. He wondered if when he first sat down there was cardboard there too? He was a little confused.

It was way past noon and he took his piece of bread out. He was hungry. Julia took a glance at him and then looked away. She was hesitant on what to do.

Carlo stared at the people passing by in cars, bikes, even walking. Everyone seemed so happy. He thought about the farm, how would his life be if he was still there? It was surely going to be happy for him with his chickens, but he was going to live real happiness now, well it all depended on Julia.

The business now calmed down, and Julia was able to sit and have a talk with Carlo.

“Carlo, take a seat,” she said.

Carlo sat down.

“I’m not sure what happened, they told me you had passed away. I cried so much. I was in so much pain. I was alone in this world. I didn’t understand anything. So many years later I had to give up on the fact that you were never going to be in my life again, but now you come here and tell me you’re my son and that I’m your mother. It’s shocking. I don’t know what to think,” she said with tears in her eyes.

“I don’t want you to go anywhere because what if you are my son? I want to make up for all those lost moments,” she said.

“I am your son, my heart tells me,” Carlo replied.

“My husband died when you were taken away from me,” she said. “It was so hard,” she explained.

Carlo thought back to his dream, “I had a dream, and in my dream a voice who claimed to be my father told me how to find you, that’s why I’m here. He told me you’re sick and need help. I’m here to help,” Carlo said.

“Your father was such a great man, I am sick but I can handle it,” she said.

“Do you want me to leave?” he asked.

“No, you are my son. You’re with me forever now,” she said smiling.

“How do you believe me though?” Carlo wondered.

“Your father just whispered in my ear,” she said. “He told me you are our son and that I need to take care of you because if he was here that’s would he would’ve liked.”

Carlo had nothing to say. He just looked at her. He was happy inside because he finally had reached his goal to find his mother. It was important to him. He just wanted to give her the biggest hug ever and never let go.

“May I hug you?” Carlo asked.

“Aww, my dear. Yes give mama a hug,” she said. “From now on you can call me mom, because that’s what I am, your mom.”

“Okay, mom,” Carlo said with the biggest smile on his face.

“So now tell me, why are you so dirty and dressed in ugly clothes?” Julia asked.

“I lived in a farm all my life taking care of chickens, and this has been my clothes since as long as I could remember, the dirtiness, well, I had no soap,” Carlo explained.

“Come on, let’s go take you a shower,” she said.

She closed her store, she pulled the curtain down, and went through a door in the back that led to a bigger place.

Carlo admired the place. It was beautiful to him.

They went passed two rooms, when she opened a door and a clean beautiful bathroom was there. He was scared to dirty something.

“Take a shower my son, I will have some clothes for you when you’re done,” she told him.

“Thank you,” he went inside and took his shoes off first.

There was a piece of cloth there. It was soft and warm.

He was amazed by everything he looked at. It wasn’t really that fancy but fancier than what he was used to. Carlo walked toward the mirror, he looked at himself. He looked different to how he remembered. His hair was like a girl, past his ears and when he looked up he could see his curls, which at times bugged him. His face was a little darker, or he was just dirty? He wanted to see how he looked now, and later how he would look after his shower.

Carlo didn’t have trouble working the shower, I mean he was a very smart boy. The water was warm, and it felt so good as every drop wet him. He wish he could stay there for hours. He looked at the floor and saw the water falling down very dirty and black. He saw a sponge and rubbed himself really hard hoping the water would fall down clearly.

Julia had shampoo, he put some on his hair and after a while, the water became clearer. He didn’t want to waste to much water. Carlo wasn’t sure if he would live with Julia but all he knew was that he would be clean for a while.

When he stepped out, he was careful not to wet the floor, and stood on the towel. He then picked it up and wrapped himself in it. It felt so good on his skin.

Carlo walked out with the towel wrapped around him, he wasn’t quite sure where he was suppose to go, he walked back the way he got there and saw Julia sitting on a sofa watching the television.

“Hey!” Julia said.

“Hi,” Carlo said nervously.

“I brought you some clothes, if you walk straight and take a left you will find a room, change in there and come back here so we can have a talk,” she said as she pointed to the hallway.

Carlo didn’t say a word, he picked up the clothes and walked toward the room she had pointed too

It was already dark. The weather was cold, it looked like it was going to rain . He wanted to be with his mom but now that he had found her, he wished he was back at the farm. He was happier over there.

He tried to take his mind off of that, and Carlo unfolded the underwear.

“Wow, new underwear. They’re so clean,” he said.

Julia had put a pair of clothes and a set of pajamas, and some shoes along with some socks. He had never had this many clothes, or he had ever wear something different to sleep. He was excited to see where he was going to sleep. He put the clothes on, and behind him there was a mirror. He looked at himself, and he was so clean. His skin looked glowy and his hair needed a brush but other than that he was clean. He put the shoes on. They fit him perfectly!

Carlo walked out in his pajamas and new shoes. He was happy but he was trying to hide it.

“How do you like the new clothes?” Julia asked.

“They’re very pretty, thank you very much,” Carlo said gratefully.

“Come, take a seat,” she said.

“Now before dinner, we can talk a little. Tell me, how has your life been?” she asked.

“I was so happy, feeding the chickens everyday, when I would be lonely I would talk to them,” He said happily, “Ray and Bertha were my only friends but they meant a lot. They took care of me. I liked being there, except having to do everything for Lin. He was mean, no one wanted to get on his bad side.”

“Lin?” she asked.

Julia stared off for a while, she remembered his name. She knew who Ray was. Ray was the one who killed her husband. The one who told Julia, her son was dead. The one who ruined her life.

“Yes, Lin. He’s the owner. His house is dipped in gold but it’s dirty money,” he said.

“Well, now let me tell you. Lin about nine years ago, killed my husband. He also told me you passed away. He sent me away to work in the valleys, but I found a way to be where I am today,” she said. “You saw the room you changed in?”
“Yes,” he replied.

“That room was made for you ever since I moved here. I didn’t want you to ever leave and I still thought of you, so in memory I made that room, but now you’re here and it’s yours. I mean if you don’t like it, we can remodel it sometime, whatever you need,” she said.

“No.. mom... It’s okay. I’m satisfied with whatever you are able to give me. Thank you very much,” he told her.

“You called me mom,” a sense of happiness arose to her as she said that. She was still trying to puzzle everything in together and make sense and see what was happening was real.

“What do you like to eat?” she asked him.

“I eat anything, I’ve never really eaten real food,” she told him.

“Goodness! Well now you will never be hungry my dear,” she assured him.

“I made some macaroni and cheese with some lasagna and breadsticks,” she told him.

Carlo didn’t know what that was but it sounded very nice to him, he was anxious to see what would it taste like.

“Thank you,” he said again.

“Let’s go eat,” she said.

They walked toward the table. It was similar to the one Lin would sit in. He never sat down at a table with chairs and nice silverware. He sat and waited.

Julia brought in plate after plate with food. It all looked beautiful. He quickly served himself and dived in. He took a bite of the bread and then some cheesy macaroni which tasted better each time he bit it.

Julia served herself some as well and then served him a cup of orange juice and another one of water.

“This is juice of naranja, the fruit you ate a while ago. It’s all natural and it tastes nice,” she explained.

Carlo drank some and it tasted so good. He was so happy. He wasn’t sure if as happy as he was before but he was happy. Carlo finished the plate and served himself a second dish, he was hungry. Then when he finished Julia brought in some pie. Carlo didn’t know what a pie was but he was willing to try it. It was pumpkin pie, Julia’s favorite. She cut a slice for Carlo and it tasted wonderful. Like everything else he had tried but sweeter.

When they finished eating, Carlo knew how to clean the table up because he would sometimes help Bertha. Julia insisted in him not helping but Carlo still did.

When they did finish cleaning, they both sat down in the living room and watched tv. Carlo never knew what a tv was. He was entertained by everything the movie was about. He thought it was a gift from god to let him watch tv.

“This is a great way to end my day Carlo, I hope it’s like this everyday from now on,” she told him.

Carlo was too busy in the movie though, he was warm in his pajamas and laying in the sofa with a blanket that actually kept his whole body warm was heaven to him. He wish that moment wouldn’t end. Carlo looked around and saw a digital clock, the ones he knew how to read. It read 9:30.

“Well Carlo, It’s time to go to bed, lets go get you tucked in,” she said.

Julia was so excited to finally make up all those lost moments, she wanted to be a mother. She thought she would never be able to see Carlo ever again. But when she laid him in bed, she felt a sense of happiness get to her.

She remembered when she would tuck him in before bed, she felt a tear drop from her face.

“Dont cry ma,” Carlo said, in a very nice tone.

She was as happy as when a kid gets his favorite present, the excitement they feel to just open the gift and play with it is how she felt. She just wanted to spend all day with Carlo.

“Go to sleep, tomorrow is a new beginning for both of us,” she said as she walked away. She turned off the lights, shut the door and went to bed.

Carlo stood up carefully and quietly and checked if she was still there. When he didn’t hear noises, he turned the light on and checked HIS room out. He never had a room for himself, or a room with walls painted,or furniture and a cozy bed. He was so happy.

“Thank you god for letting me find my mom, I will find a way to repay you everything,” he whispered.

He saw a picture of a boy on the wall, it seemed to stay perfectly there. He wondered how that was possible? He didn’t dare to touch it because he didn’t know what could happen if he touched it. After carefully looking at everything he turned the light back off, and went to bed.

Carlo couldn’t seem to fall asleep, but after his mind was filled with all these ideas of everything that was happening he eventually fell asleep.

During the middle of the night, he would constantly awake, but his eyes all of a sudden would get really heavy, so he would fall back asleep. Hours passed but to him it seemed like days, he couldn’t wait until the sun came out.

When it finally did, he was scared to walk outside his room, so he just looked out the window. There was a big curtain covering the window, he wondered what’s the point of a curtain. Is Julia trying to hide something? Not so long after, he heard footsteps and quickly hided under his blankets. Julia walked in, moved the curtains so light would shine in, and looked at Carlo.

You could hear music, Carlo stayed still but wanted to see where that music was coming from. It had a very nice beat. The kind he wanted to dance. Even if he wasn’t sure if he did it right.

“Carlo, good morning my son,” she said as she shook him gently.

Carlo faked as if he was still sleepy, he stuck one had out the sheets and opened his eyes, and yawned. He saw her and smiled.

“Good morning,” he replied.

“I have made you breakfast, let’s go get up. Your clothes is right here, change and come to the table,” she said.

Carlo still found it difficult to believe how easy Julia believed him. Julia left and Carlo put his clothes on, and walked out. Just as how Julia instructed him. He got the table and the food looked so good. It was similar to the one, Bertha made for Lin. Pancakes with bacon on the side, some syrup and a big glass of milk next to a jar of orange juice. He wasn’t sure if all his mornings would be like this, but he was loving it.

“Sit, I made you some breakfast. I hope you like it, esta delicioso,” she said.

“Gracias, se ve muy buen.. bueno,” he said.

He took a seat and coped Julia on how she would eat the pancake. She would get a knife on one hand and a fork on the other. She would hold the fork down on the pancake and cut the pancake into pieces. He struggled a little bit at first, but when she noticed he needed help she taught him.

It was a new taste for Carlo. It was soft in his mouth, and he wanted to keep eating everything, more and more.

When they finished eating Julia told him, she had to go to work, and asked him if he wanted to help her out. Carlo was so thankful for all she’s done in such little time so he knew he couldn’t say no. He would have to learn but he would try.

“Let’s go, I’ll show you how I open the curtain,” she said.
Carlo followed her out the door into the garage, which was where the store was.

Everyone here in this town speaks spanish, so from now on, only spanish.

Carlo didn’t really like talking spanish, he thought he sounded weird but he would do as she said.

“Primero, tienes que quitar ese candado, de cada lado con esta llave,” she said showing him. “Despues, jalas la cortina hacia arriba y la puerta se mueve para el lado,” she continued.

Carlo watched attentively and was understanding what she was telling him.

It was about 8 a.m and there was a lot of people already. People came in asking for fruits or vegetables, different types of meats. He had now learned several different names of stuff such as tomate, jicama, pepino, naranja, azucar, aceite and carne.

“Carlo, corre y tráeme una jícama chiquita,” Julia said.

“Si mama,” he would say.

They would both spend most of their day in the store, day after day he would enjoy each moment as if it were the last.

As the days went by Julia knew Carlo would eventually have to go to school.

“Hey Carlo, what do you think about going to school?” she asked him one day as she was preparing dinner.

“What is school?” Carlo had a little idea of what school was, but he wanted a new definition.

“It’s where all the little kids like you, go to be smarter, so when you're older like me you can get a good job, not own a store. I want you to be a very good boy and be able to have a great life, with no worries about money,” she said.

“I’ve only seen kids once, I would like to meet more, so yes. Please take me,” Carlo told her.

Julia was kind of excited that he actually wanted to go. But she had to know how much he knew, so she was going to practice every day with him, until the new semester started. Then, Carlo would be able to go to school.

That night, while they were laying down on the couch, it was a rainy day. The streets were wet and through the roof you could hear the water hit drop after drop. It was like that until, Julia got up and turned off the light. They were to stay that night there together, in the couch.

All of a sudden, you could hear noises. Julia would wake up but she would think it was because of the wind. After this happening several times, she knew it was someone breaking into her house!

Julia was one of the richest people in El Ranchito, I mean she owned a store, of course she had money but from the outside of her house you couldn’t tell.

“Shhhhh,” she heard someone whisper. You could hear the knob turning slowly. She didn’t know what to do. She didn’t want to wake Carlo up but as time passed you could hear footsteps getting closer. It was dark, the only source of light was the digital clock, which gave a very dim light that was enough to see a little bit. Julia stayed still as if she were asleep. She figured only god can help her on this one.

“Please lord, help me. I don’t want anything to happen to me or my son. I have come such a long way in building my house, please touch these robbers hearts and make them understand their sin,” she prayed softly.

Julia heard no more noises and decided she would get up and check very softly. She was getting nervous, when she got nervous that was a bad sign. That meant she would most likely faint. She was very light headed and moments like these stressed her out.

It was too late to pray. The robbers were already in the living room. They were wearing face masks so you couldn’t tell who it was, they saw someone move under the blankets and then got shocked. They thought no one was there. When they saw Julia standing up, they ducked behind the couch. Julia walked and turned on the light. She put her slippers on and continued toward the front door. She had to go around the couch, for it was the only way to be able to leave. As she turned around, she rubbed her eyes. She was sleepy still, and could see a little blurry. She heard a big thump. She stopped. Her eyes immediately opened wide. Julia looked every way, but didn’t see anything. Now she was even more scared. She fell to the ground after seeing the robber walk right in front of her. She had passed out. The robbers seemed to notice but all they wanted was to take her valuable possessions. A sense of fright got to Carlo, he awoke scared. He looked to the side, but didn’t see his mom. He didn’t know where she could be. Carlo didn’t know where to look for her, maybe she went to the bathroom? Who knew.

Carlo decided to wait a couple of minutes, maybe she went somewhere. After waiting five minutes he looked over to the clock. It was about four in the morning.

“If she doesn’t come at 4:11 I will get up and look for her,” he told himself. His eyes were heavy and wanted to just go back to sleep but he managed to stay awake when he remembered his mother was not by him.

The time had now passed and still no Julia. Carlo didn’t know but each minute that passed Julia was in more risk of danger. He got up and walked toward the kitchen, he thought she might be drinking some water. When he walked in the kitchen he didn’t see anyone. Carlo didn’t pay attention how he got to where he was, he had to find his way back but didn’t remember how. It wasn’t such a big house but it was also not a small house, and with his memory he knew he would have some trouble. He saw a door left of where the refrigerator was, he walked in there and saw big machines, and a lot of clothes in them. He was confused, why would Julia have clothes in there. He walked back from there and took the different door.

“Hey, that wasn’t so hard,” he said.

He took the right door, but when he looked down, he saw Julia there lying down. He went and got on his knees. He tried picking her up, but his weak arms didn’t have enough strength to pick her head up. Carlo had nothing to do but to wait, he didn’t know how to dial or how to cure someone. He didn’t even know what was wrong with her.

“Mom!” he yelled .

“Mom! Mom,” he said as he shook her.

“What’s wrong mom, tell me,” said Carlo.

After her not replying, he came to the conclusion she wasn’t going to awake. He laid there next to her, he soon fell asleep. After thinking how many things could happen. He was clueless, when the sun came out he were to go out and ask someone for help, meanwhile he had to rest. Maybe her mom, was just too tired.

Carlo was only ten, he knew much about the world now, but not about death or illness. He wanted to wake her up but he didn’t know what to do. The sun was starting to rise and he looked out the window and saw people. He rushed out, and as he walked down the street he told spoke to the people that were walking,

“Disculpe, necesito ayuda porfavor,” he begged.

It took a few different people until one decided to help the little boy out. Carlo rushed with the man back home, and explained to him what happened.

“Como llego al suelo mijo?” the man said.

“No se, desperte y ya estaba en el suelo!” he said nervously.

The man thought that was quite odd. He carried her and laid her on the couch. He picked up the phone and called someone. Soon, a man with a long white coat walked in. He looked classy.

He immediately attended her, he checked her pulse and heartbeat.

“Esta en mucho riesgo de morir, necesita ayuda urgentemente,” the doctor said.

Carlo had no words to say. His heart sunk and began to cry. Carlo didn’t know if his mother would wake up again.

They rushed her to the hospital, but in a little town like that, there were few doctors, and many people waiting to get called. Julia had to get attended right at that moment, she was suffering a heart attack and if not treated immediately her body wouldn’t be able to sustain. The ambulance drove outside and the paramedics pushed the stretcher into the hospital, as they walked in, everyone stared. It was hard to walk, because it was crowded, Carlo followed behind them but he seemed to get lost. He tried to keep up, when they reached the end of the hallway they opened a door and a doctor was there, they let Carlo in and immediately checked up on her.

“Carlo, you’re mom is not going to make it,” they told him,

“No, she has too! Do everything you possibly can,” he begged.

“I will mijo, please wait outside for a few seconds,” the doctor said.

Carlo walked out, and walked back and forth, from one wall to the other, he had so many mixed emotions. He was sad because he wanted his mom to wake up, depressed because he knew he wouldn’t see her ever again but he wanted just to hold in a little bit of hope.

“God, Ray, Bertha, Dad, I pray to you to give me the strength to take this all in. Please don’t let momma go, I need her more than ever,” he prayed in his head.

He thought life was so unjust in that moment. Why would they take his mom away again? As much as he tried to understand he simply couldn’t. A lady walked up behind him and patted him on his shoulder.

“Carlo?” the lady said.

“Who are you?” he asked wiping a tear off his face.

“Soy tu abuela, y tu viviras conmigo ahora,” she said.

“NO!” he said, and then stormed off.

He stood on the other side where the lady wasn’t there, he wanted to live with his mom, not with his grandmother.
After hours of waiting, which seemed like days the doctor came out and gave the sad news to his grandma that Julia had passed away. He runned to the doctor and squeezed him.

“Please tell me it’s not true,” he sobbed in anger.

“I’m sorry Carlo, I did everything possible but she couldn’t resist, she suffered a heart attack and was treated too late,” the doctor explained.

Carlo was so depressed and hated life. He was beginning to love his life. Now every single person he cared for was with god, and he was all alone in this world. He didn’t want to live anymore. He walked out the hospital, he wasn’t sure where he was but he didn’t care anymore. He was going to go somewhere far. Julia and him had so many things planned, he was going to start school, he would help her out in the store and life hit him like this. Like a big slap to the face. His face was really red, and his eyes were swollen. He had cried like he never had before. He always carried his mother's picture and he took it out, he stared at it and said,

“Mom, I will be with you soon.”

Carlo didn’t know where he was going but he kept walking. All he thought about was his mom. He loved her so much, and couldn’t bare with the reality that she was dead. He looked up and saw the beautiful ocean, there was a bridge in the middle with a lot of cars passing by. He looked around and saw trash everywhere. He got scared a little, it was a very filthy place. He stumbled over a pen on the floor. He picked it up and wrote on the picture, I love you.
He walked until he got to the bridge, he didn’t know what suicide was but maybe if he was dead he could see his mother again? He saw in the movies he had watched with his mom how people jumped off and never came back to life. He cried, he couldn’t seem to stop. He threw the picture to the water, and watched how the water took it away, he needed to go find it, it was his only memory of his mother and he just threw it. Without thinking anything he jumped off. He landed on the water hard, Carlo had never swimmed in his life. How was he suppose to know you need to know how to swim? He gasped for air, as he tried to get to a branch or something that could happen but he got tired of trying and just let go. he sunk very deep but a very bright light got to him, and his mother in a very beautiful gown extended her arm out and said , “Come here my son, I will protect you.” Behind her was Ray, who seemed very happy with Bertha, and a different man too. Maybe it was his father. He let the light guide him and he entered heaven. He would never be away from his mother again, they would be together at last.