The Historical Figure I'd Like to Meet | Teen Ink

The Historical Figure I'd Like to Meet

By LaurenKenobi PLATINUM, Hartland, Wisconsin
LaurenKenobi PLATINUM, Hartland, Wisconsin

"When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man." -Anthony Burgess
"We can destroy what we have written, but we cannot unwrite it." -Anthony Burgess

Time and time again, I’ve depended on Stanley Kubrick to lead me down the rabbit hole when searching for a new adventure. If you’ve ever seen one of his movies, you’d understand just how powerful and often controversial of a director he was, and how his best trait was leaving the viewer with a scattered brain. 

In addition to his already impressive resume, most don’t know that he was autistic, which is as amazing to me as an acrobat without legs. Perhaps his inability to feel certain emotions and his knack for creativity is what made his movies communicate as strongly with the viewer as they did—after all, many folks in show business let their emotions get the best of them. 

I would be honored to meet Kubrick just to ask him one question: “What is the process of bringing a piece of writing to the big screen and making it come alive?” And instead of receiving an answer, I would love for him to show me. 

It’s been said that when a person loses one sense, the rest of their senses become stronger over time. I believe that’s what took place in the bizarre mind of Stanley Kubrick.