Pura Vida: Costa Rica | Teen Ink

Pura Vida: Costa Rica

By pwaid50 BRONZE, San Diego, California
pwaid50 BRONZE, San Diego, California
1 article 1 photo 0 comments

As we headed off to the small town of La Fortuna, Costa Rica, in our cheap rental SUV, I didn’t know what to think. When I was told my family and I were taking a trip to Costa Rica, I had envisioned waterfalls, tropical rainforests, monkeys, and adventure. Little did I know, experiencing the simple, daily Costa Rican lifestyle would be eye opening and inspiring. Positive energy took over my body, filling my mind with optimism, as I took my first breath of air in an unknown world. Welcoming smiles, the sweet smell of fresh rain, dozens of family owned shops, and a simple, yet meaningful phrase immediately caught my attention. One phrase, two words, eight letters: “Pura Vida.” These words flooded the streets, the shops, and the Costa Rican air. These words were like oxygen to the locals. These powerful little words gave me a whole new outlook on life. Life is truly pure and beautiful.

“Pura Vida” directly translates to “pure life.” Though the English translation is simple, this phrase carries a powerful meaning. Expressing optimism, these words spread positivity. These words represent a style, a culture, a way of life for Costa Ricans, also referred to as Ticos.

The phrase originated from a Mexican film and spread to Costa Rica in 1956. At first, the phrase was used by a small population; however, by the 1970’s, the phrase “Pura Vida” was being used daily, nationwide. “Pura Vida” has become a part of everyday life for Ticos. The Ticos have learned to live life to the fullest, to stay positive, and to enjoy each and every moment.  Life is pure. Life is short. Life is simple. One must learn to enjoy every aspect of life, including adversity, difficulty, and hardship.

In a perfect world, all would live by the “Pura Vida” lifestyle. Our world is lacking positivity, optimism, happiness. According to a health study by WebMD News Archive, one in ten people will experience depression at least once in their lifetime. Numbers don’t lie. Mental health is a serious issue. We can change the world through simple actions. An effortless smile, a simple compliment, spreading positivity is easy. Not everyone has the opportunity to experience the Costa Rican lifestyle for themselves. However, everyone has the opportunity to spread happiness and positivity in their own community.

The Costa Rican lifestyle deserves more respect, recognition, and attention. Before my family vacation to Costa Rica, I was close minded, unaware of other cultures, unfamiliar to the remainder of the world. The Ticos have given me a new perspective on life. I have learned to tackle adversity with positivity and confidence. My goal is to speak out for the Costa Ricans, to share their culture, to spread positivity, and to spark a change. We can’t always control what happens to us; however, we can always control our attitude. Choose to be positive. Choose to live by the "Pura Vida" lifestyle.

My goal is to spread positivity reflected through the Costa Rican lifestyle. My trip to Costa Rica will forever have an impact on my life. I hope to inspire others to appreciate the Costa Rican culture and the true meaning of Pura Vida.