Bugline Trail | Teen Ink

Bugline Trail

By dakotawriting SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
dakotawriting SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin

A 14 mile trail, spanning across the northern portion of Waukesha County, offers an escape from busy suburban life. From Merton to Menomonee Falls, the Bugline Trail is banked by tall oaks and maples. In the fall, oranges, reds, and yellows fill the branches before falling to make a colorful canvas of the path.
The Bugline was once a railroad in 1890. The Bugline Railroad was used for transport of goods across the rural Midwest during decades of war and peace. In 1978, the railroad was shut down making way for the Bugline Trail to emerge.
Walking, running, and biking are the most common pastimes on the Bugline Trail. The trail is particularly quiet during the week, but draws a number of visitors for weekend enjoyment.
In winter, the Bugline Trail turns into a fluff of snow, perfect for the use as a snowmobiling trail. The sound of snow machines echoes down the trail with exhilarating speed. At night, headlights can be seen bobbing down the trail.
The Bugline Trail offers all-year entertainment for thousands of locals. Winding through 14 miles of forest, the Bugline Trail is the treasure of Waukesha County.