Starts with a C and ends in an O-F-F-E-E | Teen Ink

Starts with a C and ends in an O-F-F-E-E

By cydsacks PLATINUM, New York, New York
cydsacks PLATINUM, New York, New York

What is the most delicious, the most beautiful drink to ever graze the fingertips of humans? Just think. That’s right, if you already have not guessed; it starts with a “c” and ends in an “e”. No, no, not Coke, but rather, imagine the heavenly and smooth liquid we have come to adore; coffee. Yes. The tantalizing coffee sitting precariously perched on the edge of your desk, as if telling you to come closer. As if it was going to commit Coffee suicide; the notorious Cup-of-Jo-jump from the desk it was put upon by the new secretary before you arrived this morning. It makes a final call to all thirsty souls passing by to be loved and to be cradled gently as the cup, in which it lays, is raised to parched lips and the warm liquid slides down a dehydrated throat.

What a wonder it is. How such a cup, plain white and no less flimsy than a piece of paper, could hold such a rich, desirable, and utterly fantastical liquid within its weak confines. Quite deceiving many of today’s top scientists have proven it to be. The feeble appearance of its visually unappealing, yet vital container is a sore to the eyes. Yet, some mysterious tug from deep within the heart tells the brain to try it anyway. While not expecting much more than what the look of the cup would leave one to expect, one will soon find, after just one sip, how wrong their initial assessment was. It is quite a special liquid; one that covers the spectrum from red to violet, and yes, leaving a very special spot for brown. It is the type of brown that one cannot pass without fantasizing of the exquisite liquid.

Coffee is not only the liquid that causes you to yearn to sip and sip and sip until every last drop has glided out of the cup and dropped onto your tongue, it is the satisfying, yet deeply depressed feeling once the cup is indeed truly empty. This mix of strong emotions then quickly morph into the intense craving for the next cup. Then, five cups later, you will find your steadily shaking caffeine-fueled hands slowly yet surely reaching for the sixth. It is the blissful and other-worldly like morning “pick-me-up” of the divine Gods.

This is another piece I wrote when I was studying Satire in my English class.