Canadian Fishcuits and Gravy | Teen Ink

Canadian Fishcuits and Gravy

By milwaukeeman SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
milwaukeeman SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

Cool gusts of wind came off the lake, with waves splashing in repetition along the banks of this lone island. The pines rustled together as the sun slowly became visible along the horizon. We were surrounded by everlasting hills covered in pines swaying in the wind. The loons were great alarm clocks calling anxiously as the sun grew higher

The camp had woken up and were all readied for breakfast and the work we had to do, this did not mean a drive to a nearby restaurant. Instead, we trekked out by boat to a spot on the lake where rock cliffs overlooked the water. Here is where boulders slid into the lake years ago providing structure for fish to live and a place for us to catch them.

The lake seemed endless with nothing on shore to distinguish one spot from another.  After catching walleye, we journeyed back to camp with an appetite. We readied the deep fryer and filleted the fish.  At this point, I was starving because of myself being so adapted to an easy morning meal back at home.

As the fish splashed into the oil, bubbles popped.  My favorite sound. On the camp stove, the gravy was made and I filled my plate with the delicate and flaky fish.  I smothered my fish in the white sausage gravy and topping it with a fried egg on top. There is nothing that excites quite like fishcuits and gravy while   After breakfast there's only one thing to worry about; and that's dinner. We sit there, pines rustling, as we await our next meal. This was the most work I have ever done for a breakfast but once you try Canadian Fishcuits and Gravy, you will know it was worth it

Sausage Gravy

1 pound breakfast sausage, hot or mild

1/3 cup all-purpose flour

3 to 4 cups whole milk, more to taste

1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt

2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper, more to taste

Tear Sausage into little bits and pieces
Cook sausage until brown.
Mix pepper salt and flour in a separate bowl.
Slowly sprink flour mixture over sausage and allow sausage to absorb it.
Once all flour has been mixed in slowly pour in milk stirring constantly.  

Cook until thickened.  

Fishcuits

1 gallon Canola Oil

3 cups Breading

8 Fish Fillets

2 Eggs beaten

Heat oil in deep fryer to 365 degrees.
Drench one fillet in egg and immediately coat it into the breading.
Drop covered fillet into deep fryer and wait til the fillet floats at the top.