Beyond the Field | Teen Ink

Beyond the Field

By tdupre BRONZE, Kenner, Louisiana
tdupre BRONZE, Kenner, Louisiana

Playing sports goes far beyond just what happens on the field. It has taught me so many things not only on the field but also off. On the field, I have learned to work harder, be competitive, push myself, and always want to be better. Even when practices get hard or my legs get tired, I have to keep pushing through so that I may be the best I can be. Mediocre is never good enough for me because I know that I can always get better. Playing soccer has made me want to push myself to always get better at what I do. Whether it is school or soccer, I always have the desire to excel. After a hard practice where I have worked hard and gave it all I got, I feel great. But, after a practice where I just go through the motions, I feel like I haven’t done enough. I have learned discipline in the times where it gets tough. When my friends are out having fun, but I have a game the next morning. I stay home so that I may be the best athlete I can be. Although I enjoy hanging out with friends, the feeling I get while competing on the soccer field surpasses the fun I have hanging out with friends. In the end, sports have influenced me in many ways both on and off the field.

I play soccer, and sometimes people ask me why I try so hard. But it's not that I "try so hard," its that I work hard because I want to be the best athlete I can be.