Friday Night Lights | Teen Ink

Friday Night Lights

May 25, 2018
By BrennanBoyce BRONZE, Monroe, Wisconsin
BrennanBoyce BRONZE, Monroe, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

This non fiction book takes and will take many people on an emotional ride as Buzz Bissinger follows the Permian Panthers football season. In the book Friday Night Lights, a reporter H. G. Bissinger, also known as Buzz Bissinger, decides to move from his comfortable home in a suburb in Philadelphia, to the small town of Odessa, Texas. He moves to Odessa during the Permian Panthers 1988 football season. He follows this football teams season. He follows every win, every loss, he follows everything. It is amazing to read how the characters change over time.


Buzz Bissinger writes about the key players on the football team. He followed six players and one of their parents. Ivory Christian who is a great middle linebacker; Boobie Miles One of the best running backs in the state of Texas for his time, loses his dream of going to Texas A&M due to some unfortunate events; Brian Chavez, whose excellent defensive abilities are match only buy his strong academic performance in his classes; Jerrod McDougal, another defensive player, but is followed because of his father because of his experience with professional trouble after the oil bust in the late 1980s; Mike Winchell, a talented but quarterback; and Don Billingsley, a running back whose father Charlie, was once a football star on the Permian Panthers football team.
A big reason why I love this book, is because that it is a creative non-fiction book. I like that it is about football, but that is not the biggest reason. I like it because the book focuses on race. Texas is in the south, so the town goes against the integrated schools around them. I also love this book because you don't know what the positions on the field mean, but you can relate to the story. You can relate to the story because of the pressure to succeed.
What are some difficulties that the individual characters face. Do they even win a championship? Read the book Friday Night Lights, and feel every pain and enjoyment the team felt after every loss and win.