CTE Essay | Teen Ink

CTE Essay

February 23, 2018
By TreyKlose BRONZE, Decatur, Texas
TreyKlose BRONZE, Decatur, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

When I was twelve years old I played football for the Eagles. It was my first year to play the spot that I love, and I will never forget it. I played linebacker for the A-team, and on one play in the second quarter of the Battle of Big Sandy game I wen for a tackle, my arm got caught and broke. I never played another down that season. My 8th grade season I played my first game back from my injury. In the second half of our matchup versus the Springtown Porcupines I went for for a tackle in the backfield, my arm got caught in my opponents arms, and snapped. I never played another down that season. During my Freshman year I played and started the first 4 games of the season. In my 5th game, I ran full speed right into Gainsville’s running back to tackle him for a loss. During this play we hit each other helmet to helmet and I suffered a major concussion.


Football is a beautiful,  exciting, graceful sport and I couldn’t love anything more than the sport that I have played and watched for so long. However, there is no doubt how violent and dangerous this sport is. Players have suffered many injuries ever since this sport has been created. The scariest of all injuries is the concussion. A concussion is a head injury in which the brain is bruised due to a collision with another object.


During the early 2000s, Dr. Bennett Omalu discovered a brain disease called CTE, or Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy. This disease is caused by constant head injuries and concussions, and it is most commonly found in retired or current football players. CTE can make you lose your mind and eventually, in some cases, commit suicide. The first player publicly diagnosed with this disease was All-Pro Hall of Fame center for the Pittsburgh Steelers, Mike Webster. Webster lost his mind, his family, and eventually his life because of this deadly disease. This disease has affected many more and is still affecting lives today.


The National Football League has done everything in their power over the last decade to improve this game for the better. That are improving the equipment, and the rules to prevent injuries and make it a safer game. One of Dr. Bennett Omalu’s most famous quotes is “humans were not made to play football.” Though this might be true, we still play the sport.


A soldier knows the risks of war before he goes to war. He knows he may be injured, maybe even killed. A soldier knows the risks and it affects his decision on whether or not he wants to go to war. When a young man decides to play football he knows he may break his arm or his leg, but he does not know he could lose his mind, his family, or his life.


Unfortunately there is no treatment or cure for this deadly disease. CTE is a progressive, degeneration of the brain, and it is very violent. Scientists are currently searching for more information in the hopes that there is a cure or some sort of treatment. The only current approach to this disease is to prevent head injury
If you had a concussion recently, you will not have developed CTE. However, you should take care of yourself until you have fully recovered in order to prevent additional injury.You especially don’t want to suffer a second head injury before the first one is fully healed. A second concussion can result in permanent brain damage or death.


The beauty of this great sport is unbearable. Football was created on November 6, 1869. This game has served as a main source of entertainment for many families for years. This sport is very entertaining and so graceful, but this “concussion crisis” needs to be solved to protect the young men playing this game.


The author's comments:

The purpose of this peice is to shed light on a problem surrounding football.