Basketball is May’s True Passion | Teen Ink

Basketball is May’s True Passion

January 21, 2013
By Lauren Prodoehl BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Lauren Prodoehl BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

At age eight, Ally May took up the sport of basketball, which she continues to play at 16. She took her first steps on the court at the YMCA in Brookfield, Wisconsin, for a local “kiddie” league to get a feel and knowledge for the game.
Throughout her career, May has tested out many sports to find what her calling is. Those included basketball, softball, gymnastics, ballet, soccer, and volleyball.


Being 6’2’’, May’s height is a key advantage in volleyball, as well as basketball. As a freshman, May tried out and made the varsity Arrowhead volleyball team.
To achieve this accomplishment, May has played the sport for four straight years on her middle school North Lake team.
Now a sophomore, May finished out the season with 113 attack kills and 61 total blocks.
“I was very proud and satisfied with my 2012 volleyball season,” said May.
Through all the sports May has participated in, May always goes back to her true passion: basketball.
“Basketball is where my heart is. I’ve put the most time and effort into the sport,” said May. She has been on six leagues including YMCA, Merton Athletics, North Lake, ABC, Wisconsin Impact and Arrowhead High School. After her high school career comes to a close, May says she absolutely wants to play college basketball.
“I have three years left here, and I want to make those years the best they can be. I defiantly want to go to state for both!” said May.
May’s coaches also helped her athletics throughout the years. “My coaches throughout the years have been fantastic. They have gotten me to where I am today,” said May.
As she approaches the 2012-2013 season, May has high expectations for herself.
“I hope to get good minutes and possibly start this year. I also expect to get stronger physically. All around, I want my game to improve. Last year was a good season, but I want this season to be even better,” said May.