Redeem in Red | Teen Ink

Redeem in Red

January 11, 2010
By Steven Benna SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Steven Benna SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

On October 31, at Waukesha South, there was a battle of the two top teams in the Classic 8 Conference: Undefeated Waukesha West and the once beaten, by West, Warhawks. With the winner advancing to the quarter-finals, the Warhawks came in with only one thing on their minds: redemption.
Just like the previous meeting had been, the first half was a defensive battle with West leading 7-0 at halftime. But the Warhawks came out hot in the third quarter, putting up all 21 of their points.
After the third quarter, the Warhawks were hanging on to a 21-14 lead. Senior Brian C. had two short touchdown runs in the third, both set up by deep passes by senior Tom P. Senior Russell F. had big catches, including one 16 yard touchdown catch.
With the defenses thriving throughout the fourth, Waukesha West had one last chance in the final minute to tie the game. After an overthrown ball, junior defensive back Jordy P. came up with a clinching interception.
“Coming in, we knew they were a really tough team,” said Jordy P. “We had to play well on offense and defense, and we did.”
The Warhawks beat Verona 36-21, and now squares off with Milwaukee-Marquette on November 14 in attempt to advance to their fourth straight state title game.

The author's comments:
I went to the game