Got Heart? | Teen Ink

Got Heart? MAG

By Anonymous

     "Football is like life; it requires perseverance, self-denial, hard work, sacrifice, dedication and respect for authority," said coach Vince Lombardi. Do you know what football is all about? The blood, sweat and tears that come out on the field is a hint of what goes on.

Under the field lights, you notice the sound of helmets cracking; the smell of your teammates' sweat; the sight of blood on your hands and arms from face masks and turf burns. But as the game draws nearer, you notice the touch of rain. Others see soothing water dripping onto the Earth, but for you it's a sign of muddy pants and jerseys, as if you were still playing in first grade.

Slapping you in the face, your friend brings you back to reality to remind of your job. You know that if you aren't paying attention while he is lifting, he could get seriously hurt. My friend is a rabid animal before he begins to lift. His veins pop from his neck like a pipe with a clog that nothing can get through.

Now it's your turn to lift, and you notice the tingling of your body as adrenaline runs through your veins. You start to sweat and notice the taste of salt, like you are swimming in the ocean. Your palms get slick with perspiration, so you wipe them and slap on some rosin. You begin to lift and notice the heavy weight on your chest. "Uuuuggghh!" you scream as you push up the weight. You inspire yourself by how easy it is to lift the weight.

Football isn't just a game. It's a way of life, and without heart and determination, you will never succeed.