Softball | Teen Ink

Softball

By averyrustad SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
averyrustad SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

Playing softball for me is like someone doing their dream job. During this softball season, our team played in a tournament. The last game that we played was at nine at night, and it was raining. The game was so fun even though the weather was bad. We got to play under the lights, and it didn’t even matter what it was like outside because the game was so much fun. I took responsibility, and was the pitcher during that game, even though that isn’t the position I enjoy. My team and I had so much fun, that it didn’t even matter that we lost. When I am playing softball, I lose track of time; the game starts, and pretty soon it is already over. I would play softball all day if I could. That is why my goal for the future is to play softball in college. I want to do this because it teaches life lessons, I like being part of a team, and it is good for my health. 

The most important reason I want to play softball in college is that it teaches a lot of life lessons. It teaches me how to be independent because I have to be self-reliant while I am playing. I have to be independent while I am throwing, catching, and pitching. At one point when I was playing softball, I was in the outfield. Someone hit a ball right to me. Of course the one time someone finally hits it to me I drop it. That is an example of how I have to be very independent. No one can help me while I am playing, and that is why I have to be self-reliant. Softball also teaches me to be a leader. I have to be a leader and take responsibility when I make a mistake. Finally, softball teaches me to accept criticism. For example, when I am batting, I need to be constantly fixing my swing. Without criticism, I can't fix any mistakes I make, and I can't get any better. From being independent to accepting criticism, softball teaches me a lot of things. Another thing softball teaches me is how to be part of a team.

The second reason I want to play softball in college is that I like being part of a team. One of the most important reasons I like being part of a team is because everyone is very supportive. I can talk about anything with my team, even things that aren't related to softball. The second reason I like being part of a team is that it opens a lot of opportunities to make new friends. I get to meet new people that I probably wouldn't have met if I was not on their team. For example, I had to play with some of the older girls because their team needed more players. During that time I met a lot of super nice girls from other grades, who I wouldn't have been able to meet otherwise. I have made so many new friends through softball. Finally, being part of a team widens my network of people. For example, if I needed someone to do my plumbing, and I don't know anyone, someone from my team probably knows someone that can help me. From a supportive team to making new friends. These are some of the reasons why I like being part of a team. Being part of a team isn’t the only benefit of playing softball, it is also good for my health. 

The final reason I want to play softball in college is that it is good for my health. Softball improves my mental health because it gives me more confidence and improves my self-esteem when I am achieving my goals and working on my skills. It makes me more confident and helps me perform better in front of lots of people. For example, after I get a nice hit I feel really good. Then the next time I am up to bat I am more confident that I will get a good hit because that is what happened last time. Softball also improves my physical health. I use almost every single muscle in my body when I am playing. I use my legs while running the bases and my arm muscles when I am throwing. Usually, after the first practice of the season, my whole body is sore, because softball