The Love of the Sport | Teen Ink

The Love of the Sport

December 3, 2021
By Anonymous

That first feeling I get when I step on the field. The cold but warm adrenaline pumping throughout my veins. My teammates eager to win and willing to fight. The feeling of lacing up my cleats and sliding my shin guards into my cotton socks that have a rough patch at the bottom because of practice. The thought of the sport I have grown up playing. Soccer.

Soccer has been a huge part of my life ever since I was 6 years old.  Soccer has been one of my main passions since 4th grade. Every time I step on the pitch, I play my heart out. Knowing the feeling that as I get older and not playing, haunts me because I cannot imagine my life without this sport. That feeling of the adrenaline rushing throughout my body feeling it from the tips of my fingers to the tips of my toes. That feeling of scoring a goal and your teammates cheering you on and never letting down. These are the reasons I play this sport. Soccer.

When people ask me why I love soccer so much there is never really a perfect explanation for it. I can’t tell them the happiness I feel when I step onto the field where all I can see is the lines that divide up the place where I have grown as an athlete. I can’t perfectly tell them the chills, fear, and adrenaline that runs through my body when playing. I can’t explain the amount of passion and pain that me and my teammates put into this sport. I can’t perfectly explain how the sweat and tears of pain are what make up the laughter, memories, and tears of joy. I can’t truly explain why I love this sport because there is no perfect explanation for it. Soccer.

Soccer to me is my place to escape from the real world and forget all my problems. It is my state of mind calmness and determination. That feeling when I have the ball at my feet and all I care about is that moment trying to find the best pass. The burning in my lungs and my legs pushing to keep going. My small feet holding my body up as I run and all I can think is keep going and keep pushing. Every time I step out on the field, I get the sense that I can escape all my worries. Every day of every hour I wish I could feel that way. Soccer.

Soccer is the place I have met my best friends. My teammates are my second family. I love each of them with my whole heart and I would do anything for them. I have grown up in the soccer world and have met so many wonderful people. Me and my teammates have been through so much together, ups and downs, laughs and cry’s, wins and losses. We have this bond that will never break.  So, every time I step off the rough green patches of grass, I try to know that I played my hardest. Not just for myself but for my soccer family. Soccer.


The author's comments:

this piece is about what soccer means to me and what my teamates and I put into the sport. Soccer has been in my life since i was little with my mom always wanting me to play. I will be honest when I was 5 I was a "girly girl" but once my mom introduced me to soccer i fell in love with it. I played at my grade school up until I decided to play for a club team as well.