What A Meet Can Mean | Teen Ink

What A Meet Can Mean

March 12, 2020
By goddess_of_caffeine BRONZE, Mitchell, South Dakota
goddess_of_caffeine BRONZE, Mitchell, South Dakota
2 articles 0 photos 2 comments

It's a place of organized chaos, of yelling, eating, supporting, cheering, high diving, celebrating, hard work, chanting, talking, and everything in between. Swim meets are places where even if you were the only person racing, you wouldn't be alone. Some say swim isn't a team sport, I disagree, the rest of your team is there with you. They're the ones who tell you "good luck" and "you can do it" before you even near the blocks, the ones who cheer you on from the moment you touch the water. They're the ones who pick you up after every bad race and celebrate all the good ones. They're there for you no matter what, they'll always accept you exactly as you are, bursting into song randomly, quoting endless vines, getting your food stolen, stealing their food, teaming up to eliminate everyone else first in any game we play, that's what your team is. Your team is the reason your willing to wake up at 5 am on a Saturday to go to the pool, the reason you do it all. From every hard practice, and impossible set, to the endless laps and drills that might not make any difference in a race. But those practices are what brings you closer together as a team. So, why's a swim meet so crazily perfect? It's the people. The people who know everything about you, would defend you no matter what, and will, regardless of anything at all, will always be there for you.