Patriots 2018-2019 Regular Season Review | Teen Ink

Patriots 2018-2019 Regular Season Review

January 18, 2019
By Bradycole35 BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
Bradycole35 BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Tom Brady, Bill Belichick and the New England Patriots will begin their quest for their 6th super bowl win beginning this sunday. The New England Patriots underperformed this year throughout their regular season. They finished 11-5 in their season with devastating losses to the Miami Dolphins, and the Detroit Lions. Yes, 11-5 is an underperforming season for this New England team, as Bill Belichick and Tom Brady have consistently won at least 12 games every year. However, the Patriots were able to finish 2nd in the AFC conference, cementing themselves in a position for a bye week before the playoffs begin. As the playoffs have already started, the Patriots are waiting to play the newly relocated Los Angeles Chargers. The red hot Chargers come in with a 12-4 record, and have recently defeated the Baltimore Ravens in the AFC wild card game. The patriots have had 2 weeks of rest to prepare for their upcoming opponent. The Patriots are a much better team with an extra week to prepare for an opponent, and that is why the Patriots are favored to win this game against Phillip River’s led Chargers.

At the beginning of the season, the Patriots fell into an early hole, when they fell to a 1-2 start, with back to back losses from the Jacksonville Jaguars and the Detroit Lions. Although many people began to assume that the dynasty was over, the Patriots would bounce back. They would win their next 6 games against many tough teams. They would defeat the at the time undefeated Kansas City Chiefs. Then, people would change their minds, saying that the Patriots were back to their old selves. However, there were still many flaws with this team, especially their defense. Many people had questions about this defense, but by the end of the year, they appear to have it figured out. However, in an unusual circumstance, Tom Brady’s offense has been in a major struggle up until last week, where they defeated the New York Jets by a score of 38-3.

Let's focus on some players that really stepped up for this New England team throughout this entire year. Although Tom Brady has been one of the best players in the NFL for a long period of time, he has battled through some injuries and has not been himself. So, players like Sony Michel, the rookie running back, have really been huge for this team. Also, the Patriots star cornerback, Stephon Gilmore, was ranked one of the top 2 players at his respective position. The offensive line has been huge at times during the season, as well as the special teams as a whole. Cordarrelle Patterson has really stepped up big time to his role, when wide receiver Josh Gordon decided to step away from football to focus on his mental health. Finally, Trey Flowers has been a huge surprise for this team. Being one of the best pass rushers in the entirety of the league has been huge for the Patriots defense this year.

Now, the team looks ahead for their AFC divisional round game against the Chargers. The Chargers have a great football team, and some may say they have the most talented roster in the whole entire league. With pro bowl players on both sides of the field, they are a very dangerous team, one certainly capable of defeating the New England Patriots. I believe that the Chargers are in fact the better team compared to the Patriots, but I believe that the magic that Tom Brady and Bill Belichick have, they will be able to defeat the Chargers. Football fans will be tuned in to watch this game, as two great quarterbacks come together and face each other for what could be the last time in their respective careers. Only time will tell what will happen to this under achieved New England time. Will they make another run to the super bowl? Will they be knocked out earlier? I, along with others, believe that this New England team can bring home the trophy for the 6th time in the Brady-Belichick era.