Dear Sports...I’m Sorry | Teen Ink

Dear Sports...I’m Sorry

September 28, 2018
By ahmontgomery PLATINUM, Eminence, Kentucky
ahmontgomery PLATINUM, Eminence, Kentucky
23 articles 13 photos 44 comments

Dear Sports,

I’m sorry. I’m sorry that I’ll never be able to make you proud. I know that my brother and father are friends of yours and I’m sorry that I can never be. Even if I tried.


My father has tried to help me befriend you through all of middle and elementary school. I made the teams but I could still never be considered “athletic”. 


I’m sorry that I have disappointed you and my family. I’m sorry that a musician like me couldn’t do it.

I’m sorry that the hours I spent at the gym never paid off. 


But don’t worry, I am being punished for it. With scowls, jeers and other harsh things, as if my clumsiness couldn’t speak for itself. 


I’m sorry that I can’t be “perfect” like everyone else. I’m sorry. I know that you may forgive me even though my father never will. Even though a theatre girl who can’t dance but can sing you to tears, is enough for every one else, it  isn’t enough for him.


And I must live with that every day.


Sincerely,

Queen Clumsiness


The author's comments:

This is a very personal letter that took my a long time to write. I’ve played just about every sport there is and I’ve never been good. I’m a Freshman now and I never tried out for a sports team. My father is disappointed. And I can’t do it any more.